PDA

View Full Version : HS student sent home from prom for wearing confederate flag dress

mrveggieman
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/student-banned-prom-confederate-flag-dress/nMhZB/

Your thoughts.

PDawson21
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
As long as your not yelling white power and shoving it down people's throat, I don't really have a problem with someone wearing one. As for a prom, its usually pretty dark and no student is paying attention to what you are wearing anyway.

mrveggieman
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
It's one of those cases where just because she has a legal right to do so dosen't mean that she should do it. Some people on here would view a black student wearing a black panther t-shirt as being just as offensive.

AThrash37DSnyder
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Glad I am not in HS anymore and never went to prom...$500 of making you look fake for about 3 hours???

shrewsbury
04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
is she racist or proud of her southern heritage? though some may not think so, there can be a difference.

if a black person showed up in a white dress with a black panther on it, would that be racist?

i have to disagree with the school on this one

mrveggieman
04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm not going to go as far as calling this girl racist. She may have acted in poor taste but that is it unless more facts come out. Also I think that it was pretty stupid on her part to throw $500 away and miss out on one of the biggest nights of her life over shock value.

PDawson21
04-25-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm not go to go as far as calling this girl racist. She may have acted in poor taste but that is it unless more facts come out. Also I think that it was pretty stupid on her part to throw $500 away and miss out on one of the biggest nights of her life over shock value.

Prom is way overrated.

shrewsbury
04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Also I think that it was pretty stupid on her part to throw $500 away and miss out on one of the biggest nights of her life over shock value.

I agree but this seems to be the new trend, have it your way or throw it away.
logic would dictate she could just change her dress

duane1969
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
is she racist or proud of her southern heritage? though some may not think so, there can be a difference.

if a black person showed up in a white dress with a black panther on it, would that be racist?

i have to disagree with the school on this one

She is neither.

If you look at the pattern on the dress you can see that it is not a Confederate flag (even tho the OP erroneously calls it that for shock value). Even the article referenced says that the dress RESEMBLES a Confederate flag.

Edwards chose to wear a knee-length red dress that was decorated with white stars inside bright blue stripes, which school officials said resembled the controversial Confederate flag.

Not only is she not a racist because of the dress, she didn't even act in poor taste. It is a red dress with criss-crossing blue stripes with stars in the middle of the stripes.

But of course, in this era of EVERYTHING is racist, she is clearly a furture KKK leader because her dress resembles a Confederate flag and the PC school staff and race-baitng liberal media needs to make drama where none exists.

angel0430
04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
I believe that you are free to wear whatever you like. It is not a big deal since it was not a flag and the school also said that it resembled one. They are going to get sued for discrimination adn they are going to have to pay some money

Star_Cards
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't think the school had a right to kick the girl out of the prom. I understand the symbolism of the confederate flag, but it doesn't seem like a dress resembling the flag warrants the ban. None of us really know the intentions why she wore that dress, but even if she got it because she wanted to promote the racial symbol that the flag can carry I'm not sure she should have been kicked out unless she was doing or saying more to cause problems at the dance.

As for the look of the dress, she should have gone with a much simpler look. The giant blue stripes just don't really look that great.

edit: I missed the part where they mentioned to her that she should get the dress cleared a few months before. I think that alone would keep her from being able to get any sort of forced refund from the school for her expenses.

Star_Cards
04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
I believe that you are free to wear whatever you like. It is not a big deal since it was not a flag and the school also said that it resembled one. They are going to get sued for discrimination adn they are going to have to pay some money

while I agree they shouldn't have kicked her out, I doubt they will get sued and I doubt they will have to pay any money, unless she somehow got them to refund her cost of the ticket.

shrewsbury
04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
i am sure she will sue and win. get the money for the ticket, her hair, makeup, and everything else related to the prom. also she will get compensation for mental anguish, i have little doubt she will not try to sue. it's the nature of the game these days (and makes me quite ill)