PDA

View Full Version : Maine named most peaceful state in America

pwaldo
04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/maine-named-most-peaceful-state-america-143057945.html

Maine is the most peaceful state in America and Louisiana the least, according to rankings by an Australian think tank called the Institute for Economics and Peace.

The rankings are based on the prevalence of violent crimes, homicides, police employees, size of the prison population and small arms availability.

Overall, 2011 was the most peaceful year the United States has experienced in 20 years. Homicides and violent crimes both dropped by more than 3 percent last year, while the murder rate has plummeted a staggering 50 percent since 1991, when the survey first started. However, prison violence—which is not counted in the report—has risen dramatically as the number of people behind bars has also grown. Almost half of all forcible rapes occur in prison.

Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Minnesota and Utah were the top five most peaceful states. Louisiana was the least peaceful, followed by Tennessee, Nevada, Florida and Arizona.

The Cambridge-Newton-Framingham area of Massachusetts ranked as the most peaceful metro area, while Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn was ranked the least peaceful.

The report found that out of dozens of environmental, economic and health factors, the percentage of children living in two-parent families was the factor most correlated to peacefulness. The more children living in single-parent families, the less peaceful a state was. Poverty was also a strong indicator. None of the top 10 most peaceful states had a poverty ranking that cracked 10 percent.

habsheaven
04-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Not surprising. They are almost Canadians afterall. :)

duane1969
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. Nothing but forest and fishermen. What is there to have crime over? A turf war over the best deer stand location? LOL

hawk2618
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Don't give them any ideas Duane!!! :)

duane1969
04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Who? The people in Maine or habs? LOL

habsheaven
04-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey you cannot overstate the importance of a good deer stand.

duane1969
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey you cannot overstate the importance of a good deer stand.

No arguments from me.

MadMan1978
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
HEY I take offense to that!

My mom was Born in Maine!
geez weez

MadMan1978
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
and well remember it was part of Mass for a long time!

*censored*
04-28-2012, 02:05 PM
What do you call 12 people from Maine in a room?

A full set of teeth!

I have friends in Maine. I whip that one out on them often.

MadMan1978
04-28-2012, 06:47 PM
thats harsh! lol

TheTGB
04-28-2012, 07:41 PM
I like Maine, one of the more relaxing US States that I've been to.

mrveggieman
04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
So what are you trying to say? Maine is a better state than the great state of Georgia lol?

MadMan1978
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
My mother was born raised in Maine...we vacationed there almost every summer...in fact I have taken my kids there...Last place she lived in Maine was Naples...was so peaceful and quiet...things were just so relaxed...

TheTGB
05-01-2012, 01:41 AM
My mother was born raised in Maine...we vacationed there almost every summer...in fact I have taken my kids there...Last place she lived in Maine was Naples...was so peaceful and quiet...things were just so relaxed...

When I was a youngin' in Connecticut, every summer we would go up to Old Orchard Beach and just hang out for a week. It was always relaxing and fun.

MadMan1978
05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
When I was a youngin' in Connecticut, every summer we would go up to Old Orchard Beach and just hang out for a week. It was always relaxing and fun.
Where in Conn and what week for OOB? My mother was born and raised in OOB

TheTGB
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Where in Conn and what week for OOB? My mother was born and raised in OOB

I was born and raised in Vernon, 20 minutes east of Hartford, along I-84.

I don't remember what week we would go up? Sometime in early August I think it usually was? I don't live in Connecticut, or New England for that matter, anymore. We'd stay along the train tracks at a hotel that had the oceanic god Neptune on the sign. Not far from the amusement park. It was always good times.

AThrash37DSnyder
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Not surprized...Seems like a great place to be

MadMan1978
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I was born and raised in Vernon, 20 minutes east of Hartford, along I-84.

I don't remember what week we would go up? Sometime in early August I think it usually was? I don't live in Connecticut, or New England for that matter, anymore. We'd stay along the train tracks at a hotel that had the oceanic god Neptune on the sign. Not far from the amusement park. It was always good times.
I know where Vernon is. I Grow up in the Northwest corner in a little town called Falls Village. My Sister still lives there. We always went to Maine the First full week in August. I cant remember the Name of the place but cant remember the name.

andrewhoya
05-02-2012, 11:00 PM

The 300 Canadians I was with this past week were anything but peaceful. Annoying as anything. But at least you've got a smart future. They kicked USA's butts in everything.