PDA

View Full Version : Ron Brown: Being fired for anti-gay views would be an honor

mrveggieman
04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/ron-brown-nebraska-football-coach-anti-gay-views_n_1455712.html

shrewsbury
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
what did he say? speaking out against something you don't believe in should not be a crime.

i would have to see the quote of what he said (in context) to say if he was wrong or not.

if he said; "i don't support homosexuality and think it is wrong", then what's wrong with that?

if he said; " i hate homo's and god should kill them all", well then, that is wrong.

duane1969
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
what did he say? speaking out against something you don't believe in should not be a crime.

i would have to see the quote of what he said (in context) to say if he was wrong or not.

if he said; "i don't support homosexuality and think it is wrong", then what's wrong with that?

if he said; " i hate homo's and god should kill them all", well then, that is wrong.

The only direct quote I can find is this:

“In Scripture, homosexuality is a sin. The real question I have for you all is, ‘what does God say’?”

He is a Christian so this is a logical comment, not an anti-gay one as it is being construed by the liberal media. For some reason the liberal perspective has placed this stigma on everything so that you can't just disagree with it, you have to be labeled "anti" so they can attack you for not seeing it their way.

angel0430
04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
The only direct quote I can find is this:

He is a Christian so this is a logical comment, not an anti-gay one as it is being construed by the liberal media. For some reason the liberal perspective has placed this stigma on everything so that you can't just disagree with it, you have to be labeled "anti" so they can attack you for not seeing it their way.

If that was his comment then there is nothing worng with it. He is entitled to his opinion and he does not need to change his stand for no one.

shrewsbury
04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
if that was his comment then there is nothing worng with it. He is entitled to his opinion and he does not need to change his stand for no one.

+1

Star_Cards
04-27-2012, 04:38 PM
If that was his comment then there is nothing worng with it. He is entitled to his opinion and he does not need to change his stand for no one.

I agree that he has every right to his opinion. His employer also has the right to no longer require his services if they deem his public views about homosexuality would hinder the program. If he said being fired would be an honor I guess that he's so against homosexuality that he wouldn't mind losing his job.

I can see where the athletic department would not want a head coach speaking out against homosexuality when it could potentially hurt the program in recruiting and so on. Odds are there are quite a few homosexuals playing college football. He may even have some players on his team.

Star_Cards
04-27-2012, 04:38 PM

who said anything about a crime?

angel0430
04-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I agree that he has every right to his opinion. His employer also has the right to no longer require his services if they deem his public views about homosexuality would hinder the program. If he said being fired would be an honor I guess that he's so against homosexuality that he wouldn't mind losing his job.

I can see where the athletic department would not want a head coach speaking out against homosexuality when it could potentially hurt the program in recruiting and so on. Odds are there are quite a few homosexuals playing college football. He may even have some players on his team.

UI get your point. I am just tired of media and rights groups bashing people for their opiniions. But you are right that it can damage the program.

Star_Cards
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
it's tough, because it's a two way street. if people or groups with power don't like your view then they have every right to put pressure on an organization you work for. For most people this isn't an issue. If you have a job like a coach, you can voice your opinions, but if it starts a controversy you have to know that there could be negative repercussions for you if your employer gets pressure.