PDA

View Full Version : Gay Student: Attack was a hate crime

mrveggieman
04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/eric-unger-gay-illinois-student-attack-_n_1452332.html?ref=mostpopular

shrewsbury
04-27-2012, 09:35 AM
lets see if they classify this as a hate crime. whether the attackers were black or not, they obviously hated gays and committed the crime because of this.

if not, i am going to have to say, RACISM!!!!

Star_Cards
04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
I honestly don't care if it's a hate crime or not, but those guys deserve some quality time behind bars.

shrewsbury
04-27-2012, 09:41 AM
but a hate crime carries stiffer penalties and it was the reason it was created.

duane1969
04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I find the term "hate crime" to be oxymoronic. I have never felt the urge to stomp the snot out of someone because I felt love for them.

shrewsbury
04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
well of course, but "hate" is referring to hating someone for their race, religion, culture, or sexual preference.

Star_Cards
04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
but a hate crime carries stiffer penalties and it was the reason it was created.

I understand that. My point is if these guys did this to a straight white man, they should get just as stiff of a penalty.

ensbergcollector
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
i agree that they should be charged fully. I also agree that I never understood the &quot;hate crime&quot; idea. why is one assault worse than another? <br />
<br />
<br />
on a side note, if you ever want to weep for our...

Star_Cards
04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm always amused by comments on various news articles. No matter which side they lean politically there are a good number of complete morons out there. It should scare me, but it's entertaining to a degree. I just wonder how many actually feel these wacked out beliefs or if they are just trolling.

duane1969
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
well of course, but "hate" is referring to hating someone for their race, religion, culture, or sexual preference.

Isn't it natural to try and say something hurtful to someone that you are trying to hurt?

If I am in a fight with a fat guy and I call him a blubber-butt is that a hate crime? Or are hate crimes exclusive to race and sexual preference?

I wear glasses. If someone starts a fight with me and points out my need for vision correction by calling me four-eyes, is that a hate crime? It was pointing out something different about me and said in a hateful way meant to be insulting and mean. So it's a hate crime, right?

I am a white guy. If I am about to get into a fight with another white guy and I tell him to take his skinny white butt somewhere else before I hurt him, is that a hate crime? I pointed out his race while threatening bodily harm. That makes it a hate crime, right?

FYI, I am playing devil's advocate here.

If these 5 guys specifically said "Let's go find a gay guy and beat him up" then it is a hate crime. If they got into a fight with him and in the midst of it uttered a gay slur, it is not a hate crime.

shrewsbury
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
calling him a name while fighting and beating him because he is fat are two different things.

If these 5 guys specifically said "Let's go find a gay guy and beat him up" then it is a hate crime. If they got into a fight with him and in the midst of it uttered a gay slur, it is not a hate crime.

i agree with this