PDA

View Full Version : Iowa woman says bar discriminated against her because of weight

mrveggieman
05-01-2012, 08:42 AM
She's a little on the plus size but still an attractive woman:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/jordan-ramos-university-iowa-bar-discrimination_n_1464666.html?ref=topbar

duane1969
05-01-2012, 09:19 AM
She can claim no right to dance on a platform or stage in a privately owned business.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
it's a bar, i am sure she was humiliated (and that sucks) but move on, find something better to do.

and if your so called friends are still doing it and going there, then are they really friends?

mugatu471
05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Can you be discriminated for something you can control?

pghin08
05-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Not all people can really control their weight. I know people with glandular issues that exercise and eat right, but are still heavy.

And I know this may seem callous, but maybe the bar didn't want to risk a lawsuit. Naturally, I've never been to that bar and therefore aren't familiar with the "platforms" being talked about, but maybe they aren't built to hold that much weight. If the bar were to let her dance on it, and if it were to break and she'd be injured, then you better believe they'd have a lawsuit on their hands. I definitely don't agree with how they went about telling this girl she couldn't dance, but they may have only been watching out for their own legal well-being.

mugatu471
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Not all people can really control their weight. I know people with glandular issues that exercise and eat right, but are still heavy.

And I know this may seem callous, but maybe the bar didn't want to risk a lawsuit. Naturally, I've never been to that bar and therefore aren't familiar with the "platforms" being talked about, but maybe they aren't built to hold that much weight. If the bar were to let her dance on it, and if it were to break and she'd be injured, then you better believe they'd have a lawsuit on their hands. I definitely don't agree with how they went about telling this girl she couldn't dance, but they may have only been watching out for their own legal well-being.

If they have some sort of disease or something like that, I completely retract what I said. The article doesn't mention anything so it doesn't appear she does. And exactly, there is no "right" to dance on the bar.

mrveggieman
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
If that is the case the bar shouldn't let anyone dance there.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 10:04 AM

first off why do you need to control it? if you want to be heavy, fat, or super huge, that is your business (and no i am not heavy at all).

and what standard do you use? BMI? it's junk, or is it how you should appear do to pop culture? we even have CDC researchers, studies, and doctors saying fat does not have to equal bad health.

now of course many overweight people do not exercise and here is where the problem lies. being skinny and no exercise is just as bad, if not worse, than being fat and not exercising.

would it be ok if she was skinny and ugly and not allowed on stage because of her looks?

angel0430
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
She can claim no right to dance on a platform or stage in a privately owned business.

Exactly.

pghin08
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
first off why do you need to control it? if you want to be heavy, fat, or super huge, that is your business (and no i am not heavy at all).

and what standard do you use? BMI? it's junk, or is it how you should appear do to pop culture? we even have CDC researchers, studies, and doctors saying fat does not have to equal bad health.

now of course many overweight people do not exercise and here is where the problem lies. being skinny and no exercise is just as bad, if not worse, than being fat and not exercising.

would it be ok if she was skinny and ugly and not allowed on stage because of her looks?

Not at all. However, being ugly (to my knowledge at least), does not have the ability to break a platform. Being overweight does.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM

sure, but do you have to dehumanize her by allowing others but not her?

Star_Cards
05-01-2012, 10:21 AM

yes you can be discriminated even if it's by something you can control... even weight. However, I don't see that she has a case. Clubs do this sort of thing all the time.

Star_Cards
05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

I get that it's mean and I'm sure she doesn't feel very good about it. I really doubt that a college bar needed to do "approve" the girls that were going up to dance. It's not like they are some high end bar that caters to the wealthy and have to live up to some sort of standard of a specific cliental. It seems like a bad choice on the bars part in my opinion. I get that she wants to let it be know that this bar is like that... or at least the person that wouldn't let her up there. She has every right to speak out about it.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
she has every right to speak out about it.

+1

duane1969
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
If that is the case the bar shouldn't let anyone dance there.

There goes that entitlement thing again. "I have just as much right as anyone else and if I can't then nobody can!" Here in the real world not everybody has the right to everything that everybody else has the right to.

Not at all. However, being ugly (to my knowledge at least), does not have the ability to break a platform. Being overweight does.

I have seen a few that I am pretty sure could break stuff with their ugly...

Telling someone "No, you can't" is not dehumanizing them. She assumed it is because she is overweight, they never said it to her nor did they make it a public spectacle. She is making herself a public spectacle.

yes you can be discriminated even if it's by something you can control... even weight. However, I don't see that she has a case. Clubs do this sort of thing all the time.

Exactly. There are clubs in lots of cities that you can't even get into if you don't have the right look or aren't wearing the right clothes. This is hardly some new thing that just became an issue.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
where bouncers would deny her the option of dancing with her friends atop a small stage -- twice.

good friends, not only leave her hanging, but do it twice

Telling someone "No, you can't" is not dehumanizing them.

telling someone no and others yes, because she looks pregnant, come on. instead of acting like you shouldn't care, have some feelings, have some sense of right.

hey everybody else that you came with is here and having fun, but you stay down there, we don't want you to be part of that.

and again, i would not call anyone that was there with her and just left her there alone a friend.

duane1969
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
telling someone no and others yes, because she looks pregnant, come on. instead of acting like you shouldn't care, have some feelings, have some sense of right.

hey everybody else that you came with is here and having fun, but you stay down there, we don't want you to be part of that.

and again, i would not call anyone that was there with her and just left her there alone a friend.

I find it hard to believe that she is the only person that was ever told that she couldn't dance on the platform. Most likely, she is the only one who wants to make a big deal out of it and see if she can file a lawsuit and get a little money out of it.

angel0430
05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I find it hard to believe that she is the only person that was ever told that she couldn't dance on the platform. Most likely, she is the only one who wants to make a big deal out of it and see if she can file a lawsuit and get a little money out of it.

So true. Now a days, everyone have to be very careful with their choice of words since everything is "sue-able". This is a private business and as such they can do whatever they want. If this is not the first time and you keep going, then there is something wrong with you and you like to be humiliated.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 02:23 PM
i am sure she isn't the first, but we are all speculating, we don't know.

i wouldn't sue, but where is the "big women of america group" at?

or the big women occupy movement?

AUTaxMan
05-01-2012, 02:46 PM

/endthread

duwal
05-01-2012, 02:59 PM

exactly, if she was allowed to dance and move around on top of there it could be a safety hazard or liability accident waiting to happen. Its not like the bar did not allow her access to go inside like the other patrons. The bar was very content with her dancing on the floor with her friends, if they don't want some people to get up to an elevated platform than they are well within theirs rights as a private business

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 03:31 PM
if she was allowed to dance and move around on top of there it could be a safety hazard or liability accident waiting to happen.

i think it was more she didn't fit the part, attract more men and people to buy liquor.

just someone being a jackjerk and thinking they were cool by keeping the fat kid away from the 'cool" people is more like it.

themanishere
05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Really? All because you didn't get to dance on a platform?

The stupidity of people these days...

AUTaxMan
05-01-2012, 04:45 PM
i think it was more she didn't fit the part, attract more men and people to buy liquor.

just someone being a jackjerk and thinking they were cool by keeping the fat kid away from the 'cool" people is more like it.

And he has the right to do that. The reasoning for his decision is irrelevant.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
right to do so and being "right" in the way you act or two seperate things

just shows how us humans suck at being human

AUTaxMan
05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
right to do so and being "right" in the way you act or two seperate things

just shows how us humans suck at being human

Agreed. Our poor fat girl at issue is actually doing the right thing. Instead of suing, just make a public spectacle out of the fact that the guy discriminates against fat chicks and let the market decide whether or not it should affect his business. Of course, his business will probably improve, since guys will now know that they can go to the bar without fear of seeing some fat girl dancing on the stage.

shrewsbury
05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Agreed. Our poor fat girl at issue is actually doing the right thing. Instead of suing, just make a public spectacle out of the fact that the guy discriminates against fat chicks and let the market decide whether or not it should affect his business. Of course, his business will probably improve, since guys will now know that they can go to the bar without fear of seeing some fat girl dancing on the stage.

agreed

mrveggieman
05-02-2012, 08:09 AM

What about the guys who like plus sized women?

angel0430
05-02-2012, 08:42 AM

They can go to a different bar...lol

angel0430
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Great point.

AUTaxMan
05-02-2012, 09:08 AM

I guess they'll have to go somewhere else.

duane1969
05-02-2012, 09:44 AM

They are there, just not up on the dance platform.

*censored*
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xcUskQ-VRTI/SuaQ6HIktGI/AAAAAAAABJw/YPLqOOL3N1E/s320/i%27d+hit+it.jpg