PDA

View Full Version : Senate Approves Bill For $34 Billion Bailout of USPS

duane1969
05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Honestly, it is time for businesses that can't cut it to just go under. The USPS either needs to either raise fees enough to cover it's costs, revamp how it does business to cut costs or close shop. Taxpayers should not have to foot the bill, again. Taxpayers have been propping up Amtrak for years, it is time for this wasteful spending to stop.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/08/it-all-your-money-us-postal-service-bailout/

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I agree that if the USPS is going to survive then they need to make it work without bailouts. I'm pretty sure they are already subsidized. They need to figure out their health insurance and retirement plans because that is where a lot of there loses are coming from. They say that taking away saturday delivery would be very beneficial but yet congress hasn't given them the okay to do that. At least I'm pretty sure they need the okay. If not I have no clue what the hold up is.

hawk2618
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Maybe the USPS should charge tax on stamps??? How well do you think that would go over??

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know if a tax would help. essentially when they increase the price that would be the same thing as adding a tax, since the money would go to fund the company and not some other program like most taxes.

Their main problem is the huge amounts of money they have to pay their retirees.

duane1969
05-09-2012, 10:42 AM
My honest opinion is that if they want to stay in business then they make changes to accomplish that. It might not be popular, but in my opinion it is either that or bankruptcy. If charging .75 cents for a stamp means they stay open without bailouts, so be it. If charging $2.00 to ship a card in a padded envelope means no need for a bailout, then do it. If ending Saturday deliveries means they don't need bailouts, make it so. If ending rural deliveries and forcing "country people" to come to the post office and pic up their mail means they don't need a bailout, do it. Something has to give.

Albert Einstein put it best...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The USPS cannot maintain the status quo and expect to suddenly start turning a profit.

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
My honest opinion is that if they want to stay in business then they make changes to accomplish that. It might not be popular, but in my opinion it is either that or bankruptcy. If charging .75 cents for a stamp means they stay open without bailouts, so be it. If charging $2.00 to ship a card in a padded envelope means no need for a bailout, then do it. If ending Saturday deliveries means they don't need bailouts, make it so. If ending rural deliveries and forcing "country people" to come to the post office and pic up their mail means they don't need a bailout, do it. Something has to give.

Albert Einstein put it best...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The USPS cannot maintain the status quo and expect to suddenly start turning a profit.

I agree. I'd rather see them fix the problem by cutting spending as apposed to raising prices, but at some point one or the other should happen.

I think the best thing would be to let companies like FedEx and UPS take over the typical door-to-door, everyday delivery of the mail. I'm sure they'd do it more efficiently, provide a better service, and turn a profit while keeping it affordable to their customers.

hawk2618
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I think the best thing would be to let companies like FedEx and UPS take over the typical door-to-door, everyday delivery of the mail. I'm sure they'd do it more efficiently, provide a better service, and turn a profit while keeping it affordable to their customers.

Yea that would cure things.Get a PC monitor tossed over the fence for delivery by FedEx.!!! I'd like to see some positive %'s posted about deliveries before a comment like that is posted!!

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Yea that would cure things.Get a PC monitor tossed over the fence for delivery by FedEx.!!! I'd like to see some positive %'s posted about deliveries before a comment like that is posted!!

Every shipping company has had employees do stuff like this. The USPS had a guy storing years of mail at his house and not doing his work. Here are three from the many stories that came up in a quick google search.

1 (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480985,00.html)

2 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/karen-samford-72-year-old-postal-worker-hoarding-stolen-mail_n_1229494.html)

3 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/usps-mail-carrier-tosses-package_n_1216901.html)

It's not just fedex who has their issues with bad employees damaging or hoarding mail.

Here's a fact... UPS and FEDEx are companies that are self sustaining. They make profits and improve on their practices. If they didn't, they'd be out of business, more than likely. Heck, even the USPS subcontracts FedEx to ship all of their international packages. Fed Ex must have been doing something better than the USPS in that department.

granted this is a limited number of packages, but I have never had a UPS or FedEx package not get delivered. I've had many USPS packages just disappear... ones with tracking and ones without. I do send a lot more packages with USPS but by taking a look around this site you can see that the USPS has plenty of delivery issues.

AUTaxMan
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Is it going to pass the house?

hawk2618
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I can't click on links here,can you tell me the earliest date of the 3 articles?

duane1969
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Is it going to pass the house?

Questionable. The Dems control the Senate so any bailout will pass there easily. With the GOP controlling the House it might not make it past them, but that doesn't mean that Obama won't drop another executive order to fund the bailout.

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I can't click on links here,can you tell me the earliest date of the 3 articles?

the first one is from 2009, but the second one is from 01/24/2012 and the third one is right after the story of the FedEx guy tossing the monitor over the fence. It actually mentions that in the first sentence of the article that it was a few days after that story broke.

angel0430
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
They have been trying to make some changes, like not openeing on Saturdays, closing down some post offices and distribution centers and getting rid of the next day delivery...all of them have been shut down by congress

hawk2618
05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I can say this about these articles.As the mailman himself is 100% to blame here for blocking deliveries and storing it.I'm not sure things like these can be prevented,but as a mailman myself,I find it kinda weird to only pick and choose what to deliver as you're on your route.I also find it much easier to just grab a bundle and walk than to sit in the truck sorting out what to deliver and what to toss.Thats time consuming.Funny thing is,we have this thing thats been around as far back as I can remember.Its called OVERTIME!!Why a carrier wouldn't want OT
just to put in an 8 hour day to please their supervisor is idiotic to me.
~~Dave C.

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I can say this about these articles.As the mailman himself is 100% to blame here for blocking deliveries and storing it.I'm not sure things like these can be prevented,but as a mailman myself,I find it kinda weird to only pick and choose what to deliver as you're on your route.I also find it much easier to just grab a bundle and walk than to sit in the truck sorting out what to deliver and what to toss.Thats time consuming.Funny thing is,we have this thing thats been around as far back as I can remember.Its called OVERTIME!!Why a carrier wouldn't want OT
just to put in an 8 hour day to please their supervisor is idiotic to me.
~~Dave C.

I find this sort of thing weird as well and even more weird when it's a felony and highly unlikely to get away with it. The only reason I posted was to toss it out there that all delivery companies have and will have bad employees like these and the fed ex guy that tossed the monitor over the fence.

also, none of my comments about the USPS being unable to be self sustaining was a comment on the employees whatsoever. The USPS is just like any other company when it comes to employees. Some bad, but most are good.

hawk2618
05-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I can remember back in the 80's when I was a pizza/grinder enployee.We used to have this mailman come in at 3 pm and say "Dave,I'm going to take a snooze in the back booth,wake me up at 4."I can't tell you how many times that happened,but I'd say at least 2 or 3 times a week.Now ...forwarding to 2012,mail facilities are trying to get carriers to deliver twice the delivers in the same alloted time.That would be huge reason of the mail storage,though it is COMPLETELY wrong.I'm willing to bet storage started to happen back in
1994-1998.I believe that was a huge peak for the postal service.

You're right,I know a few employees that have been employed before me that
have no clue or desire to take the extra step for customers.

shrewsbury
05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
you realize usps is not ups or fedex

also do any of you realize a bill was passed several years ago that requires the usps to pay congress about 5 billion a year, it has been since bill has passed that the usps has started to go in the hole.

so now we are giving them back 7 years of the money they were forced to give up, that's not a bail out

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
you realize usps is not ups or fedex

also do any of you realize a bill was passed several years ago that requires the usps to pay congress about 5 billion a year, it has been since bill has passed that the usps has started to go in the hole.

so now we are giving them back 7 years of the money they were forced to give up, that's not a bail out

who in this thread said the USPS is UPS of FedEx? Of course they are not the USPS

do you have a link about this bill? never heard of this and couldn't find anything online. what's the point of it?

shrewsbury
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
not a link, but this might help

In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. This law requires the Postal Service to do something that no other business or government agency has to do–pre-fund its FUTURE retiree health care benefits. This is a 75 year liability that has to be paid in 10 years. The Postal Service makes a payment of approximately $5.5 billion on September 30 at the end of every fiscal year to meet this obligation. The Post Office has been paying these benefits the past four years into a trust fund for employees who have not even been born yet. This is the burden that is creating the “financial crisis” for the Post Office. The recession that has gripped America the past few years has undoubtedly affected the Postal Service, but even in the worst economic times since the great depression, the USPS has had a net profit of $611 million dollars. Unfortunately, the red ink associated with the post office is the mandated pre-funding since 2006.

Star_Cards
05-09-2012, 02:45 PM
okay. so it deals with retiree health care plan. this is really the major reason why the USPS needs help. At some point the benefits of their employees and past employees will just choke out the system that provides... or at least it would if it wasn't a government "company". At some point that needs to be fixed, but sadly probably won't.

I wonder if congress dips into this retirement fund just like they do the social security fund.

shrewsbury
05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
this is my favorite part

The Post Office has been paying these benefits the past four years into a trust fund for employees who have not even been born yet.