PDA

View Full Version : Paypal "Gifting" Question

JDOE
05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone, I haven't done a lot of buying from other collectors/traders yet using paypal. I mainly just use it for ebay.

I've noticed several members here and on a couple other forums put "I don't give or receive paypal gifts" or similar messages in their signatures.

Why don't many people like the gift option in paypal? I figure there's some sort of possible scam involved, right?

I think I've been scammed once trading and I think I've been shill-bid on before, so I'm leery of giving or accepting paypal gifts if many here seem against it.

I just wondered what everyones' thoughts were on it.

duwal
05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
when you send payment of something as a 'gift' that takes away a lot of the protection. You obviously can not ask for a refund if something goes wrong because it wasn't a purchase you gave them their funds as a gift

EvilBread
05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Like what duwal said. By paying with Paypal Gift you will be unable to file anything to get a refund should something go awry. Not only that I have heard of some members in various boards having their funds frozen from receiving to many "gifts" and or getting high dollar amounts and having accounts suspended. I personally don't want to lose the ability to use Paypal. So I have stopped gifting to be safe.

any$4forsberg
05-24-2012, 12:10 AM
I've never had a problem using gift, just make sure to thoroughly research the person you are dealing with first. Generally, gift is only used to save yourself about 3.5% in fees, so for a beginner I would recommend avoiding it.

JDOE
05-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I think I'll just avoid gifting all together for the time being.

mrveggieman
05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
I had a guy pay me paypal gift once and I didn't have any problems with it. However I would never pay anyone that I don't know or was uncomfortable dealing with via paypal gift.

theonedru
06-01-2012, 04:28 AM
When you use gift payments to buy stuff you are stealing from PayPal. Plain and simple

Kosmo kards
06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
When you use gift payments to buy stuff you are stealing from PayPal. Plain and simple

Paypal is the one that steals from you. Don't get it twisted.

theonedru
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Paypal is the one that steals from you. Don't get it twisted.

How exactly are they thieves? There are these things that businesses have called costs and overheads and such that require money to take care of. Its not their fault people are cheap and expect everything for nothinng

Kosmo kards
06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I just found your comment interesting. What are they getting money for? You go in and pay for something by entering an e-mail address and what does that cost? Nothing. Who gives them the right to take money for every transaction by doing nothing, just sitting back and collecting fees. How much money do you think paypal gets from e-bay and other transactions? More in one day than I will see in a decade. Have you ever tried contacting paypal? I am a premier member and it has taken four business days to respond via e-mail, calling them is almost impossible.

Kosmo kards
06-01-2012, 07:11 PM
As a card collector, I have learned to tolerate paypal and I actually don't mind taking the fees anymore (I tell people to not send as gift and I rarely send as gift as well). I just listed a $75 item on my sister's account and e-bay took $7.75 and paypal took just under $3. Over $10 just for permission to list list something on a site and for the buyer to push a button to send money to me. Trust me, e-bay and paypal make way more than what thier costs are and it's not even close. I really don't think they hire all that many people and have too high of costs.

theonedru
06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I just found your comment interesting. What are they getting money for? You go in and pay for something by entering an e-mail address and what does that cost? Nothing. Who gives them the right to take money for every transaction by doing nothing, just sitting back and collecting fees. How much money do you think paypal gets from e-bay and other transactions? More in one day than I will see in a decade. Have you ever tried contacting paypal? I am a premier member and it has taken four business days to respond via e-mail, calling them is almost impossible.

First all businesses have overhead and expenses as well as other odds and ends costs, your fees help pay these. As well when you sign up you sign an agreement to not misuse it.

2. I have never had any issues with PayPal customer service, any problems I encountered were quickly settled.

mattleegee
06-01-2012, 07:41 PM
theonedru is right in every aspect, it is a service Paypal is providing, and they are charging a service fee for the transaction, as much as i dont want to pay Paypal fees, it is very selfish to have someone say "im using this service, and im using it free" its not there job to support you

If you dont like paypal and dont want to use their service you should considers:

*writing a check, send it via USPS then make the other party wait
-cost of check, cost of postage, cost of envelope, cost for time waited =?

*get money order, send it via USPS then make the other party wait

*stuff money in a envelope send it via USPS then make the other party wait
-cost of postage, cost of envelope, cost for time waited =?

Then consider you have no protection using those options, that is what Paypal gives you, instant transfer/payment, protection, convenience

Im not new to paypal either, here is a fun figure i found in my eBay account
Sales to date: $195,820.53
Transactions: 25070
First eBay Sale: 11/10/2003
Wonder how many fees i have paid? That doesnt include selling stuff on cardboard forums and car forums

Kosmo kards
06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
First all businesses have overhead and expenses as well as other odds and ends costs, your fees help pay these. As well when you sign up you sign an agreement to not misuse it.

2. I have never had any issues with PayPal customer service, any problems I encountered were quickly settled.

Are you just a buyer or do you sell things regularly?

Kosmo kards
06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
theonedru is right in every aspect, it is a service Paypal is providing, and they are charging a service fee for the transaction, as much as i dont want to pay Paypal fees, it is very selfish to have someone say "im using this service, and im using it free" its not there job to support you

If you dont like paypal and dont want to use their service you should considers:

*writing a check, send it via USPS then make the other party wait

*get money order, send it via USPS then make the other party wait

*stuff money in a envelope send it via USPS then make the other party wait
-cost of postage, cost of envelope, cost for time waited =?

Then consider you have no protection using those options, that is what Paypal gives you, instant transfer/payment, protection, convenience

Im not new to paypal either, here is a fun figure i found in my eBay account
Sales to date: $195,820.53
Transactions: 25070
First eBay Sale: 11/10/2003
Wonder how many fees i have paid? That doesnt include selling stuff on cardboard forums and car forums

Paypal does offer convience to the buyer and great protection for the buyer as well. It offers the seller nothing. The buyer doesn't have to pay the fees. Also I can't imagine what you have paid on fees, holy cow.

Kosmo kards
06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Another thing that I forgot to mention is that it takes 3-4 days to move money into paypal into your bank account, the same amount of time it takes to wait for a money order.

texansrangerfan73
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I've paid & accepted paypal GIFT before but was from well established members. Also I wouldn't recommend accepting too often as paypal frowns upon it thus you will get warning of account suspension.

mattleegee
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Another thing that I forgot to mention is that it takes 3-4 days to move money into paypal into your bank account, the same amount of time it takes to wait for a money order.

If you have a Paypal debit card you can use your account like a bank account, even have your paycheck directly deposited, pay bills online, etc...

But yes, transferring from your home bank, it leaves you instantly but then takes a couple days to arrive into Paypal, and when withdrawing from Paypal to home bank you get hit again by a couple days :rant: