PDA

View Full Version : Spoof card phone calls?

roaddogg02316
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Anyone else get harassed by these? It is basically a 6 digit # that shows up on the caller Id rather then the # of who is calling. I have received them multiple times in the last 4 days. Didn't answer the first few time til I knew what it was. Then the last 3 times nobody says anything after I say hello. Getting extremely annoyed. Anyone know how to block these types of calls. I really don't want to have to change my #.

Greengoblin782
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I get these calls around 8-10 am est every day.

roaddogg02316
05-23-2012, 07:11 PM
I get these calls around 8-10 am est every day.

Quite annoying, first time I've ever gotten them. Same # so has to be the same person/company. Also I was just sitting there earlier, phone doesn't ring, then voice mail pops up. I check it, was a phone ringing, check the options, it was from that spoof #.
The most recent time I answered it I flipped out completely on them, but nobody answered anyways after I had said hello.

JWinn
05-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't get alot of solicitation phone calls, but this last month or so we have been getting a lot from a company called Sullivan Promotions. I forget what it was they are trying to sell. I told them at first I was not interested.

They still call about once a day.

We have decided to just hang up on them. With our remote phones, you just push a button to answer, and to hang up.

When I see the name, I push the talk button, wait two or three seconds, and then push the end button. Never say a word.

Seems to be slowing down. Maybe they don't like being hung up on.

Not sure what to do about something automated like this. Sounds like there is nobody to hang up on.

Someone sold your name and number. That's for sure. Seems like everyone wants it too. Mostly chains. Even when paying cash at some stores, they want my information. Especially my phone number. Supposedly for "tracking purposes". Bull...... They just want to sell it.

I tell them sure, they can have my number for $25.00.

If someone's gonna get paid for my info, it's gonna be me.

roaddogg02316
05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't get alot of solicitation phone calls, but this last month or so we have been getting a lot from a company called Sullivan Promotions. I forget what it was they are trying to sell. I told them at first I was not interested.

They still call about once a day.

We have decided to just hang up on them. With our remote phones, you just push a button to answer, and to hang up.

When I see the name, I push the talk button, wait two or three seconds, and then push the end button. Never say a word.

Seems to be slowing down. Maybe they don't like being hung up on.

Not sure what to do about something automated like this. Sounds like there is nobody to hang up on.

Someone sold your name and number. That's for sure. Seems like everyone wants it too. Mostly chains. Even when paying cash at some stores, they want my information. Especially my phone number. Supposedly for "tracking purposes". Bull...... They just want to sell it.

I tell them sure, they can have my number for $25.00.

If someone's gonna get paid for my info, it's gonna be me.

Starting to wonder if someone did sell my stuff as I signed up to get job information thru some website. I had given a phone # for one, then they call to ask what information I wanted. Well that involved college or something, which I can't afford, so just hung up on them after that. Then these spoof calls started coming. But nobody is saying anything when I say hello. Even if I wait and don't say anything it hangs up after 10 seconds. So not sure what it is. Just know I'm aggravated by it. All I can do is not answer I guess and maybe it will stop, because I am all set changing my #, then people won't be able to contact me for work stuff.

JWinn
05-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Starting to wonder if someone did sell my stuff as I signed up to get job information thru some website. I had given a phone # for one, then they call to ask what information I wanted. Well that involved college or something, which I can't afford, so just hung up on them after that. Then these spoof calls started coming. But nobody is saying anything when I say hello. Even if I wait and don't say anything it hangs up after 10 seconds. So not sure what it is. Just know I'm aggravated by it. All I can do is not answer I guess and maybe it will stop, because I am all set changing my #, then people won't be able to contact me for work stuff.

Before you change your number, try calling your provider and asking if they can help you. Maybe they can block the calls form coming in in the first place.

Yup, that website sold your number to somebody else. Sure sounds like it.

I don't get a solicitor calling and hanging up though. What's the point?

Something really strange there. Almost sounds like someone is checking to see if your home. Haven't seen that scam in a long time.

TPotts
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure how to do it, my Moms on a "Do Not Call List" after getting bombarded...

Something you might want to check into.

roaddogg02316
05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm on the Do Not Call list as well. I usually just call the # back and then it give option to take yourself off the list. I wonder if I'm just making myself put on more lists lol.

As for the seeing if I am home, I'm getting the spoof # calls on my cell phone. I've asked on my providers help forum about these to see what can be done.

JWinn
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I too am on the "Do not call" list.

That simply exists to placate customers. It does not apply to;

Political calls
Police agencies, or their member associations , such as the "police benevolent society/association" for retired officers.
Any business you have ever done business with and given your information to.

There's a host of other exceptions.

That works to a point, but only to a point. You have to rely on people having the honor to respect other people.

Meanwhile, gathering and compiling information simply to supply it others so they can solicit you still happens.

JWinn
05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm on the Do Not Call list as well. I usually just call the # back and then it give option to take yourself off the list. I wonder if I'm just making myself put on more lists lol.

As for the seeing if I am home, I'm getting the spoof # calls on my cell phone. I've asked on my providers help forum about these to see what can be done.

On your Cell? Well, then it's not someone trying to rob your house.

Good news!

Sounds like you found the place to get some help, if not from the provider, then maybe from other customers at least.

These phone companies aren't really the best at customer service anyway. But it's better to at least try rather than change your number. That's last resort stuff there...

TPotts
05-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I see, I see. I just wanted to drop in and post when I saw this thread! Ours went away after we got on the list, you guys are working with something special! Hahha

roaddogg02316
05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
On your Cell? Well, then it's not someone trying to rob your house.

Good news!

Sounds like you found the place to get some help, if not from the provider, then maybe from other customers at least.

These phone companies aren't really the best at customer service anyway. But it's better to at least try rather than change your number. That's last resort stuff there...

Yeah when it comes to companies helping, not always the best. I just had an issue with Kohl's where I signed up for there emails. Was supposed to get a $5 off coupon after 10 days. Nothing. I email service and even say hope I don't have to go to a competitor. All they had to say was oh you can sign up for the card and we credit you back and that sorry that they didn't live up to their potential.
Well guess I'll shop elsewhere lol.

But anyways I usually find more information and less hassle for an answer if I ask thru a forum related to the company or even Yahoo Answers helps alot. With the exception of the people who spam on there.

JWinn
05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
That kind of surprises me.

My wife signed up with Kohls, and she's constantly getting $10 off cards, and 15% of cards all the time. And that's just in the regular mail on top of the catalog a week.

She does have their card though. She loves them!

They even have a nice selection of NFL stuff. Small, but nice.

Yeah, I like your idea of asking on their forums. Seems everyone has one these days.

roaddogg02316
05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
That kind of surprises me.

My wife signed up with Kohls, and she's constantly getting $10 off cards, and 15% of cards all the time. And that's just in the regular mail on top of the catalog a week.

She does have their card though. She loves them!

They even have a nice selection of NFL stuff. Small, but nice.

Yeah, I like your idea of asking on their forums. Seems everyone has one these days.

Yeah I signed up for the email stuff from Kohls. I wanted to buy some new sneakers so figured I'd take advantage of it if they offer a discount plus they have some decent stuff.
Have a hard time finding shoes I like, they stopped making my favorite ones lol.

Maybe I'll hav eto try signing up again and see what happens.