PDA

View Full Version : What other Hobbies do you have?

redwingsfan11
05-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, I'm a man with a few hobbies and i was wondering if anyone her was the same.

Also if anyone would like, explain why they are your hobbies. Was it something you grew up doing with your parents or friends? Was it something you saw on TV?

What are your best memories?

You don't have answer every question. Just write whatever flows.

New potential question; "what other hobbies/activities would you like to pursue in your future?

I'll start off with sportscards. For me I love sportscards because it was something introduced to me by my father since early childhood (i would like to say back in 1996). Still to this day (literally) I collect cards with my dad. I dont care how old we get, its something him and I will always enjoy.

One of my first cards purchased was a John Elway Rookie from my LCS. My best memory is back in 05' when I brought up a few thousand cards from storage and i spent around 7 hours (from night to sunrise) organizing all cards by sports>teams>players. Nonstop i might add. All i ate within those 7 hours was an entire loaf of toasted sliced white bread (I had and still have a HUGE love for bread). Organizing all those cards just displays my detailed and meticulous nature.

My second hobby is collecting comics. I have my elementary school Principal (I still remember his name) to thank for this. Back in 5th grade, my principal use to leave an entire box of his old school comics (mainly spiderman) and let kids take as many as they'd like. So before the beginning of my first class i use to run to his office and take a few. Then during lunch i use to raid his office again and lastly when school finished I attacked his office yet again lol. I still have all of those comics and although they are not rare (mainly 80's Web of & Spectacular Spider-man) they will never leave my possession.

Another hobby of mine is playing and collecting video games. This is something many kids grew up with. Regardless of your generation there as always been some form of games. I grew up with the sega genesis and the super nintendo. However as the years went by, games and systems got lost in translation. So today I purchase video games I use to have on all systems and play them every now and then (College and work detracts from my time to play). Thanks to my great memory I am able to remember everything I ever had and have purchased, along with when, where, why and who purchased them.

Pool/Billiards is another hobby of mine. It was a big part of my life back in my first years of college. I use to go to my student union and play everyone there in the tournaments. I started off as a rookie but with my drive and practice i wound up making it to the finals of my school tournament. Unfortunately, now that i attend college within my city rather than dorming far away, I have to pay to play pool so my skills have suffered. But what i love most about playing pool is that it allows me to focus and block everything out of my mind. Its just me and whatever ball i have to pot. I have literally played pool for 12+ hours straight so when i'm in the zone theres no such term as "stamina". My favorite player is Francisco Bustamante.

I also use to collect sneakers (Jordans and Dunks) but it was just a phase for me. Name a rare sneaker, odds are I had it. But after 5 years of collecting i decided to sell all my pairs back in 09'. I only have 3 left over from my major sell off. Looking back, it was a hobby i got into for the wrong reason and I am glad i dropped it.

DunkingDurant35
05-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Glad I am not the only one who has been hypnotized by sorting cards for hours. ;)

Nice thread idea. I share the video game hobby - loved the NES and SNES as a kid (1988-1992 and 1992-1996, respectively), didn't play games much except the occasional computer one from 1996-2008, and then got back in the hobby when my fiance gave me a PS2 in 2008. I re-bought the NES in 2009 to revisit some of my old childhood faves. If any of you ever play Tecmo Super Bowl against me, you will probably lose. :)

I also love reading research articles in my spare time. Health, grammar/language, and neuroscience are my three favorite areas to research because those subjects reveal a lot about how people live, think, and learn. I was the kind of nerd who would get excited whenever research projects were assigned in school.

I suppose music would qualify as a hobby even though I can't play it. It is by far my favorite of the arts as far as enjoyment goes; when hearing music I really like, my brain enters imaginative and inspiring states that are not quite comparable to any other life experience except perhaps dreaming. I am partial to strong beats, unusual time signatures, and minor keys, so progressive rock and trip-hop are two genres I like in particular; I also tend to like a lot of electronic acts who don't otherwise fit under the trip-hop umbrella. Favorite artists include DJ Shadow, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Yes, King Crimson, DJ Krush, DJ Cam, Nine Inch Nails, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, and Vanessa Daou.

As part of the over-21 crowd, craft beer is another hobby. I'm partial to IPAs/DIPas, APAs, and Belgian styles. Brown ales are also good when I want something lighter.

Exercise is the other main one. I can work out for hours. Basketball, weightlifting, and running/walking are the stuff.

CincinnatiKelly
05-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Other hobbies? I'm confused.

cool-vintage
05-26-2012, 12:49 AM
I only have a few other hobbies.

I collect antiques. I saw a few TV shows (like American Pickers,American Restoration and similar shows) so that is what got me into collecting aniques.

I also play guitar in my free time, I'm not 100% sure what got me into playing but I'm enjoying it.

JWinn
05-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Other hobbies? I'm confused.

HAHAHA!! This one can be quite consuming, for sure.

Lets see, other hobbies.

Probably my biggest is just being an insane Bronco fan. But that's gone WAY beyond just a hobby though. I'm sure many here can relate. Season tickets, clothes, cards, memorabilia, the list goes on & on..... Not to mention just following them. Although I don't try to it analyze anymore. Too many stories there to pick one.

I like to fish. I throw almost all of them back. Just love to go out in the little boat and drag a fly around a lake, or sit in my little chair on the ice, waiting for the big one. I need to get out soon.

I collect almost anything that catches my eye. One thing I like is foreign money. My parents travel a lot, and my dad always asks what I want from wherever they are going. Money! A few different bills, nothing big, and some change. I find foreign money very interesting.

And matches, which is getting harder and harder here at home in the USA. But around the world smoking is still acceptable, so he's able to bring me home a few matchbooks when he remembers.

I also like Billiards. I grew up with a table in my parents basement, and I still have it. I don't really play that much anymore though. My friends get tired of losing, haha. Tried to get my kids into it, but not much luck there. Never really played in bars much. Strangers have a way of taking losses badly. Especially drunk ones.

I always liked watching the ladies play. Ewa Mataya was my favorite. it would have been hard to concentrate playing her, lol.

If you have not yet done so, get your own cue, and get a good one! Take good care of it, and will return the favor.:winking0071:

I used to be a Trekkie. Before cards took over my life 20 years ago, haha. Still have a bunch of stuff, and once in a while will watch a rerun. And I still live my life by the ideals Gene Roddenberry envisioned for us, but it's hard in this age. I doubt we will ever live up to those ideals.

:sign0087:

tutall
05-26-2012, 01:29 AM
I like to hunt and fish... Me and a couple buddies hunt pretty much anything that is in season.. It is just something I have alwaysdne... Always been facinated by guns but not enough cash flow to collect them. I would love to get my hands on a couple civil war muskets or something like that. It isnt really a hobbybut I enjoy studying the stock market some. I get to spend a lot of my day at work reading over WSJ and other financial websites.... Pretty boring I know

redwingsfan11
05-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Its great to hear some of your guys other interests. I've always wanted my own poolstick but its just a bit over my price range right now. But without a doubt I will get one in the future. And i know what you mean about Ewa, its like when you see her you have to do a double take.

I love reading research articles, mainly in the natural health field. It wasn't always like that but as i started to get older my interest towards natural health started to increase.

I have gone fishing once and it was awesome. I didn't catch anything lol but its something very simple to enjoy.

Insane Irish
05-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I used to collect Knives, but that died out awhile ago. Still have a ton in storage and a case or 2 on display. I started that when I was real small.....
Also dabbled in Pez dispensers and Garbage Pail kids cards when I was a kid.....I have hundreds at my folks house in storage now too. I sold my Star Wars and Trasformers collection when I had my daughter, so I don't collect them anymore. I did keep a few Star Wars though, the main characters...I use Yoda as my lucky charm when I play Poker. (Poker being another hobby that has died down...lol) I also kept the original Optimus Prime....he's my favorite toy from my childhood.... Every once in awhile I'll put Optimus on Display and within a day or 2 my wife will kidnapp and hide him!!

I'm a huge gamer, ....used to have Wii, PS3 and sometimes even played PC games, but Only Xbox 360 now...having a wife, kid and dog it's hard to play as much as I used too.

Still Play hoops 1-2 times a week, and mountain bike when I can. I love to go shooting whenever I get a chance. I don't own any guns anymore (other than my service weapon) so I just go to a local range and rent different types. Nothing like popping off a few rounds at a Zombie target to relieve some stress!!

TPotts
05-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Snowboarding in the winter, baseball in the spring. Play pickup Basketball and Football a few times a week as well.

Used to be a "hardcore" gamer, but sold the Xbox no too long ago. Still a computer geek, as I'm working on my IT/Networking degree!

JWinn
05-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Its great to hear some of your guys other interests. I've always wanted my own poolstick but its just a bit over my price range right now. But without a doubt I will get one in the future. And i know what you mean about Ewa, its like when you see her you have to do a double take.

I love reading research articles, mainly in the natural health field. It wasn't always like that but as i started to get older my interest towards natural health started to increase.

I have gone fishing once and it was awesome. I didn't catch anything lol but its something very simple to enjoy.

The Striking Viking!

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/MugoWinn/6242544_orig.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/MugoWinn/Striking-Viking.jpg

Oh, no, nothing distracting there. Imagine this at the other end of the table;

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/MugoWinn/EwaMatayaLauranceschedule.jpg

Nope! Not distracting at all.... lol

Speaking of Viking, That's what I have. Same one for just over 30 years. My "Striking Viking". They still make em, and a decent one can be had for under $200.

Which may seem a lot for a cue, I know, but, well, it makes a huge difference. Once you become comfortable with it....... your opponent better be good, or it's gonna be a bad day for him. Or her even! haha

I can't tell you how many days I have gotten bupkiss fishing. It can really suck to spend ten or so hours freezing your little behind off sitting out on the ice on a huge lake. Still it's a great time to think, and just enjoy the surroundings and friends.

There have been days where even a little Suckerfish is cause for great celebration, lol.

11chaos
05-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Surfing
http://www.randsinrepose.com/assets/gulp.jpg

and yes, that is a dolphin.

wogman56
05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
My other hobbies are golfing, fishing, and geocaching, all for pretty much the same reasons. I love to be outside and it is good to get out and relax and spend time with my fiancee out searching for geocaches or golfing together. The fishing I do with my buddies from work.

redwingsfan11
05-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Insane Irish, my father was a huge collector of toys, including star wars and star trek (amongst other things) but he sold those collections as well. I think he still has a few lying around, but the rest of his toys are Starting lineups (-_-) which he has almost a complete set of, GI Joe and other stuff. Oh and i would love to get into guns in the future. Mainly rifling because i love the extreme focus aspect. I like just about anything that requires slowing the heart rate down and focusing (as wierd as that sounds).

Tpotts, i myself play football and baseball and now that the weather is getting warmer and steadier, i will be playing alot more. What position do you play, I alternate between 1st and 2nd baseman. I use to love to pitch but once i tore something in my shoulder and severely hyperextended my elbow (both of which i let heal "naturally"), my endurance for throwing has decreased immensely.

Jwinn, You can't show any man those pictures without him breaking a sweat lol. And do yourself a favor, look up Michaela Tabb (spelt something like that) she use to be a player but now she mainly refs at the major tourneys. One look at her and you might melt.

11chaos, i must ask, is that a picture of you surfing? Oh and super awesome signature you have.

Wogman56 I gave "geocaching" a quick google but if you dont mind can you describe what that exactly is? It sounds fun since you say its an outdoor activity. Speaking of which i want to get back into camping. I use to camp so much as a kid but as i got older i just stopped. Plus none of my city friends are outdoorsy so there goes that lol.

wogman56
05-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Geocaching is a navigation game involving the use of GPS systems. On the official website for it, there are thousands of "landmarks" where people choose to hide containers all around the world. On the website are sets of coordinates that will give you the general area for a treasure, then it is up to you to find it from there (they are usually within 100 ft). These containers can be anywhere from the size of a ring box to as large as an ammo box and are usually camouflage spray painted to blend in with the scenery. Inside the container, people leave different little trinkets that they identify themselves with and there is also usually a notepad. You write your id from the website on the notepad to show others you've been there, what you grabbed from the container (if anything) and what you left. We always leave a Michigan and Minnesota state quarter in ours as that is where we are from. We also have a cigar box full of our various prizes we've collected in the 2 years we've been doing it, there's some neat things people come up with to put in the little containers!

redwingsfan11
05-27-2012, 09:56 PM
That sounds AWESOME!!! I really am going to give that a try. What's the best thing u found in a container?

andrewhoya
05-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Plane spotting. I can look up and name the airline, type of plane, and usually where it it going. As well as the passenger loads and the name of each pilot. (kidding about those last two. But it is pretty sad how much I know.)

wogman56
05-27-2012, 10:06 PM
That sounds AWESOME!!! I really am going to give that a try. What's the best thing u found in a container?

The best thing we got in a container was a $10 Starbucks gift card. Most of the things are much smaller than that (coins, pictures, pins), but usually people put a nicer prize in there for the first person to find their container and this one just happened to pop up about two miles from our apartment just before we checked out the website.

11chaos
05-28-2012, 01:48 AM
11chaos, i must ask, is that a picture of you surfing? Oh and super awesome signature you have.

No, it's not me but I have had this happen to me plenty. I've had these animals near me while surfing:
shark (4 feet)
Sea Turtle (5 feet),
Sea Lion (2 - 3 feet),
Whale (15 feet),
seals (5 feet),
Blue Fish (nibbling on my toes)
Dolphin (Jump over me and ride my wave)
Dead human (50 feet)

I Love surfing, it relaxes me like nothing else.

tjmcb73
05-28-2012, 02:31 AM
I play softball Tues nites, write poetry(a few have been published), & sing in bass in a quartet locally.

redwingsfan11
05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
wow if i were to see any of those things in the water i would freak lol. Im a panzy when it comes to certain things lol.

tjmcb73, i use to play softball in a league with my dad many years ago. But now that he doesnt play anymore, i just play baseball the majority of the times. Its pretty cool that you write poetry, i myself use to love poetry when i was very young. Heck i use to think of poems as i walked to school every morning. Sadly it was a gift of mine (like drawing) that I chose to disregard for some reason or another. On the brighter side, I'm taking a public speaking class, and tomorrow I have an "open mic" presentation to do which involves me having to present a poem that I either once read or created on my own. I will be doing that latter which i haven't started yet lol.

redwingsfan11
05-28-2012, 01:11 PM
To answer my new question that i just thought of, as a kid i have always dreamed of bungee jumping and sky diving. So those are two activities that i would love to take up later on. I also just saw a segment on real sports where a man flies along mountain sides in an aerial suit so that is something that i wouldn't mind considering lol.

I also promised myself that i would take up yoga (i have always been plagued with tense muscles), learn languages such as spanish, chinese (both of which i should already know since i am half of both), along with tagalog and swedish. Lastly i promised myself that i will purchase/play a drum set which is my ultimate passion but with the growing misfortune of schools arts/music programs being cut, I lost the fortune to play the drums a long time ago =(

JWinn
05-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey RedWingsFan!

I looked up Micheala Tabb, you got it right, lol. Very pretty girl also. I think I might have seen her on tv before. Looks familiar.

This thread gave me an idea for a new hobby. I am thinking about maybe starting a collection of autographed billiard balls. Unfortunately, all I could find on a quick internet search were a few players, including Ewa, and a whole bunch of Willie Mosconi balls.

So many Willie's I wonder about their authenticity though. Even with a PSA certificate.

That Geocaching sounds like fun also.

Always wanted to surf, but it would be hard to do here in Colorado, lol. Would love to get into diving also. I did that once on a trip, and it was amazing. Also not really a Colorado thing though. The lakes down here are all murky, and the clear one's up in the mountains are a tad cold for me.

NY Sports Teams
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Fishing and golf, along with now and then getting addicted to some game on the PS3, most notably "The Show".

...Rick

redwingsfan11
05-28-2012, 08:19 PM
I thought of starting that collection a long time ago and i was hit with the same dilemma, there just wasnt enough variety readily available. Another idea could be getting the balls personally autographed. The owner at my local pool hall says that Mika Immonen has shown up every now and then throughout the years. But that could take a little too much time and patience. Unless you go to the major tourneys and then knock out a good chunk of players. Just make sure you catch Earl Strickland on a good day lol.

Hey RedWingsFan!

I looked up Micheala Tabb, you got it right, lol. Very pretty girl also. I think I might have seen her on tv before. Looks familiar.

This thread gave me an idea for a new hobby. I am thinking about maybe starting a collection of autographed billiard balls. Unfortunately, all I could find on a quick internet search were a few players, including Ewa, and a whole bunch of Willie Mosconi balls.

So many Willie's I wonder about their authenticity though. Even with a PSA certificate.

That Geocaching sounds like fun also.

Always wanted to surf, but it would be hard to do here in Colorado, lol. Would love to get into diving also. I did that once on a trip, and it was amazing. Also not really a Colorado thing though. The lakes down here are all murky, and the clear one's up in the mountains are a tad cold for me.

NY Sports Teams, I know what you mean with the show. When i got 09' the show i was hooked as anyone could be, because when i first started playing that game kicked my with its new mechanics and the gamer/ego in me said, "NO i will master this game" lol. Fast forward a few weeks later and i was cracking homeruns left and right, Johnny Damon (I used the Yankees) made Pujols and Batista look like "A Ball" players lol. I haven't brought a new copy of the show since, but that'll change next year.

roaddogg02316
05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Let's see, so many.

I collect cards, autographs obviously. Also have some sports memorabilia. Hockey stuff mainly.
Then I also like racing. I help a buddy of mine on his car at the local track. That can get expensive if I was paying. $400+ for the year. But I helped get the track over $2000 in advertising from a local lawyer. So the guy hooked me up and I get in free all year. And the guy I help hooks us up with food/drink for the day and even invites us to his house after for good food-lobster/steak.
Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and be able to race.

I also was metal detecting a bit, but not having alot of luck. Best find was with a cheap Radio Shack detector. Found it on craigslist as I got the bug to get one as I always wanted one. I found an 1859 Indian Head penny. First year those came out. Was in a farm field, that someone claims was an encampment long ago.
That also ties into coin collecting. I was searching large boxes of coins for the goodies and returning the rest(coin roll hunting) But I wiped out my money I was using on that to buy holiday gifts. Plus money can go to better use on bills and stuff.

I think that's it as I look around my office to think what else do I do lol.
Going to be getting into fishing this summer hopefully as I got a brand new pole this past Xmas. Just need to get my license. Yep they make ya have a license in MA to fish off the land! Greedy state!

duane1969
05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Well, I guess I am like a lot of others in that I have a boatload of "hobbies".

Hunting - I love to hunt, particularly spring turkey. I bow hunt for deer some and occasionally get out for deer season with firearms, but for the most part my hunting has declined due to my lack of time and I usually just hunt for turkeys in the spring and do a little squirrel hunting with my son in the fall.

Shooting - Not to be confused with hunting. I like to shoot guns. Specifically, tactical firearms. I like taking the basic form of a firearm and specializing it for tactical purposes. My most recent transformation was a HiPoint .45 Carbine rifle that I modified with a reflex sight, forward pistol grip, muzzle break, tactical sling and added three customized 15 round clips (I customize them myself).

I also own a Springfield Arms .40 cal semi-auto handgun that is next on the modification list. I already have a hi-end LaserMax Greendot sight to add, am upgrading the frame with some machine work to make it lightweight, am adding tactical grips (undecided on the type) and may do some work withthe trigger to reduce the pull and make it a match grade type of weapon.

I also own a Mossberg .410 bolt action that is a hunting gun but may become modified if I get a wild hair, a Savage pump 12 gauge that is currently unmodified, a sporterized Mossberg .270 rifle, an NEF 12 gauge chambered in 3.5" magnum with several modifications for turkey hunting, a Benelli Supernova tactical 12 gauge (currently unmodified, emphasis on currently) and a WWI era British .303 rifle.

Sports memorabilia - I collect autoed and game used sports memorabilia. Just recently earned Sports Memorabilia Super Collector status for my collection. Got started collecting memorabilia because of my uncle who collected Redskins memorabilia when I was a kid. Currently own over 50 autographed helmets, balls, gloves, magazines and photos including two Steelers team autographed balls from the 2010 season when they went to the Super Bowl and a 2005 when they won the Super Bowl.

Video games - Once a gamer, always a gamer, right? Got started on video games way back when the Atari 2600 was new and hi-tech...and yes, I still have it, and yes it still works :) Also have a Nintendo64 that still works, Gamecube, original Xbox and Xbox360. I was so into gaming that at one point I worked as a beta tester and developer for Sierra games (I think they are out of business now).

Currently an Xbox Live addict. Can be found killing and collecting name tags in MW2, MW Black Ops and MW3. Just got the new Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and am still doing the campaign, so I should be wreaking havoc on Live soon (I always do the campaign before I go to Live, my weird little thing).

NY Sports Teams
05-31-2012, 03:08 AM
Let's see, so many.

I collect cards, autographs obviously. Also have some sports memorabilia. Hockey stuff mainly.
Then I also like racing. I help a buddy of mine on his car at the local track. That can get expensive if I was paying. $400+ for the year. But I helped get the track over $2000 in advertising from a local lawyer. So the guy hooked me up and I get in free all year. And the guy I help hooks us up with food/drink for the day and even invites us to his house after for good food-lobster/steak.
Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and be able to race.

I also was metal detecting a bit, but not having alot of luck. Best find was with a cheap Radio Shack detector. Found it on craigslist as I got the bug to get one as I always wanted one. I found an 1859 Indian Head penny. First year those came out. Was in a farm field, that someone claims was an encampment long ago.
That also ties into coin collecting. I was searching large boxes of coins for the goodies and returning the rest(coin roll hunting) But I wiped out my money I was using on that to buy holiday gifts. Plus money can go to better use on bills and stuff.

I think that's it as I look around my office to think what else do I do lol.
Going to be getting into fishing this summer hopefully as I got a brand new pole this past Xmas. Just need to get my license. Yep they make ya have a license in MA to fish off the land! Greedy state!

Don't most states require you to get a license? The key is to have your own stocked pond...Rick

pghin08
05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Disc Golf and regular golf, I guess.

mrveggieman
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Sports/cards are my first love but I also like to play videogames, read, work out, cooking, and watching religious and political doccumentaries.

runnerkid1
05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Running, Biking, Swimming... Triathlons.

andrewhoya
05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Disc Golf and regular golf, I guess.

Someone on here loves disc golf. Ryan I think?

roaddogg02316
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Don't most states require you to get a license? The key is to have your own stocked pond...Rick

Well they require one for saltwater off land now. They never did before. They actually were trying to offer people to give up their licenses they had gotten. All you had to do was take a survey or something to help them find out how valuable it is for someone. I think they just gave back the fee you paid. I haven't gotten mine yet and I don't think I'd take a survey to give it up.

NY Sports Teams
05-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Well they require one for saltwater off land now. They never did before. They actually were trying to offer people to give up their licenses they had gotten. All you had to do was take a survey or something to help them find out how valuable it is for someone. I think they just gave back the fee you paid. I haven't gotten mine yet and I don't think I'd take a survey to give it up.

Is the license good for a year like freshwater? How far offshore do you need to be that a license is not required? Thanks...Rick

pghin08
06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Someone on here loves disc golf. Ryan I think?

Yeah, Ryan's a big disc golf fan. It's a shame him and I live like 2000 miles away.

Mike13198
06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I am 14 and as you can guess my favorite hobby is SPorts Cards. My grandpa brought me into the hobby in 2006, I just cant get enough of them. I love collecting it reduces a lot of school/sport stress in my life (Not a lot compared to Adults so Kudos to you!)

I also love fishing which I have been doing it since I could cast my own rod. It brings the "bam" out of me. It realeses al my energy out of me and is an awesome hobby.

Lastly, I like to watch and play Sports with my friends, it is just something to do and can get into a rivalry since I like the Eagles/Steelers and all my friends like the Packers!

dayzdtomato
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Other hobbies? Wha? Just kidding.

My absolute favorite thing is to be out on the river on our waverunner. I like in the Portland area about half a mile from the river so it's pretty convenient. Plus it's fun exploring the city from the vantage point of the river. The only problem is that with Portland weather, I can only really get out there during the summer months.

I also do a lot of art when not in the middle of sorting a stack of Blazer cards. Last year I got really into spray paint art but really do everything from sketching to waterpainting, acrylics, etc.

I've also always been a workout junkie. I run a lot these days but also try to at least do a few races a year. My favorites are the mudder types - 5k with obstacles and, well, mud. I've also got 2 kids and it's fun just being out and active with them.

redwingsfan11
06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Its really awesome hearing all of your hobbies and interests. Its amazing to see what some people have in common as well.

Keep your hobby stories coming =)

BrewCrew06
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I have a few outside interests that I currently pursue, and a few that are on the back burner until I can get a bigger place (house) or more funds (highly unlikely as a teacher).

Current hobbies/interests:

1. Cards. I collected as a kid from the age of 4 or 5 to about 15. During middle school, I played games like Magic, WWE Raw Deal, and MLB Showdown. Once I got to high school, I focused on school, sports, and socializing. I've recently gotten back into card collecting after quite a few years off. I had a spurt my freshman-sophomore years of college, but that died out because of money and turning 21...I got back into it pretty heavily last spring and haven't looked back. It's gotten quite expensive, but they are easy to store and keep track living in a small apartment.

2. European travel is another hobby. It's hard to classify as a hobby, but this will be my 4th time in the last 5 years. I love reading about Europe, traveling or history. The continent fascinates me, and I want to see half of the countries before I turn 30, I have four years and 17 countries to see. Might be very difficult to do, but it's a goal, and I'd consider it a hobby.

3. Running and playing golf. I ran cross country in middle school and did a year of track in high school. In college, it was the easiest activity to stay in shape. Plus, we had a nice lake in town where all of the girls would go. So it made it quite worthwhile to run for many reasons. Golf is something I've done off and on since I was in 5th grade. Never been very good, but it's a great way to get out with friends and family to have a good time and trash talk.

Future/On Hold hobbies:

1. Antique collecting. Probably sports and beer items. I love watching shows like American Pickers, and would love to trade places with them for a few days. When I eventually get a house and can have a man room and bar area, I'd like to decorate them with memorabilia and Guinness/Ireland pub items.

2. Model trains are the second thing I want to get back into. I was big into trains in high school, but it phased out in college because of money and lack of space. I still enjoy watching them go by while out running and make it a point to stop and watch. If room allows, I'd like to have a layout in a house eventually.

3. Lastly, playing guitar. My dad plays, I have two back home. I just finished my second year of teaching, and they have been jam packed with lesson plans and late nights of grading. I'm hoping in the next year or two things will slow down a bit on that front and I can play guitar to relax.

Those are my hobbies and "future" hobbies. Hopefully, I'll stick with them for quite awhile.