PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a driving test?

BAZINGA0212
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, I have taken the driving test 2 times and failed both times (get very nervous when taking it). So I was just wondering if there is any advice/tips you guys could give?

boba
05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, I have taken the driving test 2 times and failed both times (get very nervous when taking it). So I was just wondering if there is any advice/tips you guys could give?

Just passed it a couple of months ago.

Main thing is to try to stay calm and always err to the side of caution. Overemphasized looking both ways and basic stuff like that. Make sure to come to a complete stop at stop signs! Both of my sisters failed the first time because they didn't.

And lastly try to hide your nervousness as much as you can as it will make the instructor uneasy, be really nice and respectful.

Btw don't feel bad about it as a ton of people don't pass the first or second time, I knew a someone who took 8 tests before they passed.

Good luck!

MadMan1978
05-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Just do it right...practice it as well

and remember to BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT!

boba
05-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Very good point. My dad took me driving around the area of the dmv before the test.

If you have time get there an hour or two early and drive around the dmv so your familiar with it.

BAZINGA0212
05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Just passed it a couple of months ago.

Main thing is to try to stay calm and always err to the side of caution. Overemphasized looking both ways and basic stuff like that. Make sure to come to a complete stop at stop signs! Both of my sisters failed the first time because they didn't.

And lastly try to hide your nervousness as much as you can as it will make the instructor uneasy, be really nice and respectful.

Btw don't feel bad about it as a ton of people don't pass the first or second time, I knew a someone who took 8 tests before they passed.

Good luck!
stay calm and always what? Stop signs are fine. my first time was parallel parking, and second time was the backing up portion...and wow. that sucks. i hope i can pass the next time

thanks!

Very good point. My dad took me driving around the area of the dmv before the test.

If you have time get there an hour or two early and drive around the dmv so your familiar with it.

will have to do so

boba
05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
stay calm and always what? Stop signs are fine. my first time was parallel parking, and second time was the backing up portion...and wow. that sucks. i hope i can pass the next time

thanks!

will have to do so

Err to the side of caution meaning if you don't know what to do, always do the safest of your options.

That sucks that they make you parallel park though, they didn't make me do that, and I'm glad because I'm not very good at it.

BAZINGA0212
05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks hope I can pass

JWinn
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Two things, although it's really only one.

1. Listen to the person giving you the test. Do EXACTLY what they tell you, no more, no less. NO NOT take any initiative here. Just follow orders.

This is also what you need to do when you get pulled over. No arguments with a cop! Ever!

These people have the power to approve or deny, or later, jail/ticket you or let you go free, and there's nothing you can do about that, so accept it, and deal with it however you can.

2. Drop the attitude!

This may not apply to you. I don't know you at all.

But I have a son who's 16, and just passed a few weeks ago, and that was my only advice to him. He passed the first time. Same with my daughter 8 years ago.

He's got a bunch of friends who can't pass to save their lives, and listening to them, there's one common theme.

At 16, they have all the experience and knowledge. The "old guy", giving the test, who been driving for 30 or 40 years, can't possibly know what he's talking about. Oh no. They are much smarter, far more experienced than he will ever be. After all, they have an entire 50 hours behind the wheel.

The point is, don't act like he or she is an idiot, and you know what your talking about. You don't. You can't possibly have any experience TO know what your talking about at 16. Not when it comes to driving.

Oh sure, you know far more about video games....... He doesn't care. This is not a video game here. This is the real world. Were talking about a 2,000 pound weapon that can kill someone, mostly yourself!

Understand?

This isn't criticism, it's advice. Advice that will serve you well your whole life if you take it to heart.

A smarter than thou attitude will get you nothing in life. Not when taking a drivers test, not when your pulled over, not when your working, and not when dealing with other people.

I try to tell my son's friends this same thing, but they just take it wrong, and will not listen.

"Yeah, yeah, I know..."

They still rely on mommy to get them anywhere, while my son is driving his Mustang.

Good luck!

NY Sports Teams
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
As was stated. Be courteous and respectful, ma'am, sir the whole bit. Watch what you wear. Don't wear something that might be offensive to him/her. Make sure to use the mirrors and check blind spots. Parallel parking is not a timed event. Take your time. As was stated, since you've taken a couple of test you know the route(s) so practice there so you feel more comfortable. Before practicing tell your Dad the different things the examiner had you do. Have your Dad give you those commands on the route at different times without you knowing in advance where/when he would give them, like an examiner would do, if that makes sense. Don't worry about being a little nervous, the examiner has tested hundreds if not thousands and he/she knows most everyone is. Don't be late.

Good luck, third times a charm.

...Rick

BAZINGA0212
05-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Two things, although it's really only one.

1. Listen to the person giving you the test. Do EXACTLY what they tell you, no more, no less. NO NOT take any initiative here. Just follow orders.

This is also what you need to do when you get pulled over. No arguments with a cop! Ever!

These people have the power to approve or deny, or later, jail/ticket you or let you go free, and there's nothing you can do about that, so accept it, and deal with it however you can.

2. Drop the attitude!

This may not apply to you. I don't know you at all.

But I have a son who's 16, and just passed a few weeks ago, and that was my only advice to him. He passed the first time. Same with my daughter 8 years ago.

He's got a bunch of friends who can't pass to save their lives, and listening to them, there's one common theme.

At 16, they have all the experience and knowledge. The "old guy", giving the test, who been driving for 30 or 40 years, can't possibly know what he's talking about. Oh no. They are much smarter, far more experienced than he will ever be. After all, they have an entire 50 hours behind the wheel.

The point is, don't act like he or she is an idiot, and you know what your talking about. You don't. You can't possibly have any experience TO know what your talking about at 16. Not when it comes to driving.

Oh sure, you know far more about video games....... He doesn't care. This is not a video game here. This is the real world. Were talking about a 2,000 pound weapon that can kill someone, mostly yourself!

Understand?

This isn't criticism, it's advice. Advice that will serve you well your whole life if you take it to heart.

A smarter than thou attitude will get you nothing in life. Not when taking a drivers test, not when your pulled over, not when your working, and not when dealing with other people.

I try to tell my son's friends this same thing, but they just take it wrong, and will not listen.

"Yeah, yeah, I know..."

They still rely on mommy to get them anywhere, while my son is driving his Mustang.

Good luck!

thank you a lot!
that may help me a lot

As was stated. Be courteous and respectful, ma'am, sir the whole bit. Watch what you wear. Don't wear something that might be offensive to him/her. Make sure to use the mirrors and check blind spots. Parallel parking is not a timed event. Take your time. As was stated, since you've taken a couple of test you know the route(s) so practice there so you feel more comfortable. Before practicing tell your Dad the different things the examiner had you do. Have your Dad give you those commands on the route at different times without you knowing in advance where/when he would give them, like an examiner would do, if that makes sense. Don't worry about being a little nervous, the examiner has tested hundreds if not thousands and he/she knows most everyone is. Don't be late.

Good luck, third times a charm.

...Rick
its actually been a different route each time, which i thought was weird

NY Sports Teams
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
thank you a lot!
that may help me a lot

its actually been a different route each time, which i thought was weird

I know where I'm from there are two or three different routes they use for testing. It's possibly different where you're from. You may have a better idea on the next which will be your last test. Again, good luck...Rick

BAZINGA0212
05-29-2012, 11:16 PM
alright, thanks a lot. appreciate it!

roaddogg02316
05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Well do you know why you failed? They should tell you I'd hope? When I took mine several years ago I was nervous about it. But you just have to focus and do it the best that you can. We did ours in a small neighborhood so it wasn't busy or anything. Not sure where you are or if all driving tests are the same.
Well on mine it came to the part where you had to parallel park I think it was(but I don't remember it being between 2 cars, so maybe it was the backup in a straight line and then stop. I didn't feel I was close enough to the curb, so I asked the officer and he didn't say anything. I asked if I should do it again and he didn't say anything. So for a bit I was nervous about it. But not sure why I asked as we kind of got told by the teacher that the guy wouldn't say anything besides what he wanted you to do. I passed on my first try.

Anyhow I'm sure if you practice your faults, then you should do fine next time. Don't worry about doing it quickly, just do things at a reasonable pace so you don't get told your being slow.

BAZINGA0212
05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Well do you know why you failed? They should tell you I'd hope? When I took mine several years ago I was nervous about it. But you just have to focus and do it the best that you can. We did ours in a small neighborhood so it wasn't busy or anything. Not sure where you are or if all driving tests are the same.
Well on mine it came to the part where you had to parallel park I think it was(but I don't remember it being between 2 cars, so maybe it was the backup in a straight line and then stop. I didn't feel I was close enough to the curb, so I asked the officer and he didn't say anything. I asked if I should do it again and he didn't say anything. So for a bit I was nervous about it. But not sure why I asked as we kind of got told by the teacher that the guy wouldn't say anything besides what he wanted you to do. I passed on my first try.

Anyhow I'm sure if you practice your faults, then you should do fine next time. Don't worry about doing it quickly, just do things at a reasonable pace so you don't get told your being slow.

thanks a lot, but they didnt tell me why i failed..

roaddogg02316
05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
thanks a lot, but they didnt tell me why i failed..

You would think they would have to so you know what to improve on. That's bad if they don't tell you why. Then you have no idea what it was for.

BAZINGA0212
05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
well the first time was only parallel parking

roaddogg02316
05-30-2012, 02:28 PM
well the first time was only parallel parking

You mean thats what they told you the reason you didn't pass was?

Triple Peanut
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I read Ozzy Osbourne's autobiography last year. apparently he went to take a driving test and showed up so wasted he fell asleep in the driver's seat before the test even started. he woke up with a note pinned to him that said "Dear Mr. Osbourne, you failed".

good luck, i'm sure you'll do better than Ozzy at least ;)

andrewhoya
05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds like it is different in our state, but is yours the behind the wheel portion? I have mine from M-F next week. We don't have to parallel park though.

BAZINGA0212
05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
You mean thats what they told you the reason you didn't pass was?
no i hit the curb so she told me to go park adn i failed

I read Ozzy Osbourne's autobiography last year. apparently he went to take a driving test and showed up so wasted he fell asleep in the driver's seat before the test even started. he woke up with a note pinned to him that said "Dear Mr. Osbourne, you failed".

good luck, i'm sure you'll do better than Ozzy at least ;)

hahahaha, thats funny. but thanks!

Sounds like it is different in our state, but is yours the behind the wheel portion? I have mine from M-F next week. We don't have to parallel park though.

yes, all driving

BigBerserker
05-31-2012, 03:37 AM
Practice, that is all it takes to pass the test. Common sense, that is all it takes to be a good driver.

pr0phet
05-31-2012, 07:25 AM
A quick look over this post failed to mention one point that was key in my area when I took it.

Make sure you follow the speed limit exactly. While driving by your self may allow x MPH over the posted speed limit, on your test you must follow the speed limit exactly. That doesn't mean to slow down from 35 to 25 after the sign. You must be at 25 MPH when you pass the 25 MPH sign.

BAZINGA0212
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
thanks prophet!

roaddogg02316
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Ha that made me laugh, common sense is what it takes to be a good driver. Well someone must have overlooked it for some people. I have the biggest pet peeves when it comes to how some people drive.

BAZINGA0212
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Yea

Phils747
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but on your test, keep your hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and keep both hands on the wheel at all times and pull the wheel through on turns. Good luck on your test, you'll be fine.

andrewhoya
05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but on your test, keep your hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and keep both hands on the wheel at all times and pull the wheel through on turns. Good luck on your test, you'll be fine.

Not 10 and 2 anymore. They changed it to 8 and 4. At least in VA.

Phils747
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok, disregard that last post then. I know in PA, I was taught to do 10 and 2 but as long as you have both hands on the wheel where you can control the car, you'll be ok. Thanks Andrew.

andrewhoya
05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Ok, disregard that last post then. I know in PA, I was taught to do 10 and 2 but as long as you have both hands on the wheel where you can control the car, you'll be ok. Thanks Andrew.

It is some new study. They want us at 8 and 4 because the hands are lower. It lowers the overcorrecting, and lowers the chance of broken arms. Arms were getting broken by the airbag, but since they are lower at 8 and 4, the airbag can't really get to them.

BAZINGA0212
05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the tipsguys and thanks for the good lucks

JWinn
05-31-2012, 10:43 PM
I think what might help you the most, based on your first post, is to just spend some time with your dad (or whoever) driving before you test again.

Get comfortable and confident behind the wheel. Drive to new areas, in the same car you plan to test in. Get comfy in that car.

Go to large parking lot, take out a few cones if you have them, and practice parallel parking between them, and anything else your still iffy on. Get comfortable in traffic.

Remember what happened in your previous tests. If there were certain things that caused you to fail, work on those until you feel confident in your ability on those things.

Being nervous is never a good way to go into any kind of test. Easy to say, I know, but it's true.

Relax. This really isn't all that hard, or that big of a deal. Everyone gets the hang of it.

Well, most everyone. :winking0071: Like Roaddog said, there are plenty of em out there who have not really gotten it.

But most of them have a license! You will too.

:racing:

BAZINGA0212
06-01-2012, 12:13 AM
thanks a lot, will try all that stuff!

Dodgersalltheway
06-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Make sure you can see 100-150 feet both ways when you come to an intersection with a stop sign. That got me but I still barely passed.

And people are not worth any kind of "points" whatsoever, no matter what anyone tells you...

ajw9356
06-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Well, to start with definitely don't wreck during the test, that would be bad for your chances of passing. Just kidding there. Leave your cell phone at home! Not kidding about that, you don't want that anywhere within a mile of you when you are taking that test. I think you've had some good advice here. If you have trouble backing up or parallel parking, practice in a mostly empty parking lot and try to steer in between spaces etc. I learned to parallel park at college where you had to bump bumpers in order to squeeze into limited space all the time. My dad taught me how to drive and back up all on a little truck with limited visibility and a touchy clutch backing in and out of our 200 ft driveway with a 180 degree sharp turn to pull under the deck at the back of our house in the middle of summer with the AC off. It was no fun for me because I didn't get a lesson I got a bunch of "No don't do that" or "Not like that" and "Look at what you're doing". The lesson ended when I hit the side of the house backing up and broke off the water spigot. The rest of my day was learning how to do plumbing on copper water lines. I was 13. So not passing a driving test isn't that bad, at least you haven't backed into a house. I think you'll find that passing a driving test will come easily once you are comfortable knowing the rules and being able to follow them without thinking, practice following all the rules, believe it or not, practice helps no matter what Allen Iverson says. Being polite and respectful, will go a long way, be confident in your ability, make sure you have practiced to increase your ability. Always practice your weaknesses most, that's where you need to increase you're ability. If you think you are going to fail going in, you're half the way to doing it. If you know you can pass no matter what comes up, you're 3/4 away from doing that. It doesn't sound like you're far off from passing anyway. Thank the person you are with for their time, whether you pass or not. It may be them who tests you the next time and they may remember that kind of respect, they don't always get it. As long as you do you're best, I'm sure you'll be able to pass, sooner or later, most likely sooner. Very best of luck for the next try!!

BAZINGA0212
06-01-2012, 01:40 AM
thanks a lot, appreciate it