PDA

View Full Version : Military Moms proud of breastfeeding pics

mrveggieman
05-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I got this on yahoo. I apologize in advance if anyone is offended by the picture in the link.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/military-moms-breastfeeding-uniform-stir-controversey-214500503.html

shrewsbury
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM
i know this may start some fires, but i would think you could be a little more discreet about it

JustAlex
05-31-2012, 11:55 PM
LOL, I don't have an opinion on this, I just think the picture is hilarious XD

theonedru
06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I am not going to look at the article and just say this. There is nothing wrong with something as natural and nurturing as feeding a baby from the mothers breast. People who have issues with this have deep seeded issues themselves that need worked on.

mrveggieman
06-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I am not going to look at the article and just say this. There is nothing wrong with something as natural and nurturing as feeding a baby from the mothers breast. People who have issues with this have deep seeded issues themselves that need worked on.

Agree I don't have a problem with a woman doing it I just wouldn't want MY wife doing it for public display. :winking0071:

duane1969
06-01-2012, 11:59 AM

There is nothing that isn't natural about urinating, but it is illegal to do it in public.

angel0430
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM

I have 4 kids and my wife has breastfeed all of them but when you decide to join the uniform services, you agree to follow some eimple guidelines, like the proper wear and display of the unfirorm. This picture clearly violates that and they both shuld get in a lot of trouble. Thye could have taken the ABU top out and not show the rank, Air Force insignia. Clearly there is a Non-Commissioned Officer on the picture and she should be ashamed of herself.

First know the rules of the proper wear of the military uniform before you make comments on something like this.

angel0430
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Agree I don't have a problem with a woman doing it I just wouldn't want MY wife doing it for public display. :winking0071:

I don't mind my wife doing it in public. That is totally normal, but she covers herself when she does. Believe it or not there are perverts that find this arousing.

Star_Cards
06-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't have a problem with breast feeding in public. I feel that the same rules should apply to women breast feeding that are applied to anyone else when it comes to nudity in public. Most women who I know that do or have breastfeed in public, cover up. It's not really that much trouble to do so.

As for the women in uniform breast feeding, I don't have a problem with that either. I guess I could see issue if it's not respecting the uniform like the military requires.

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
North Americans are way too hung up on exposed breasts and nudity in general. I can understand the "uniform" aspect of it being wrong, but the breasts themselves should not be a problem, feeding or not.

theonedru
06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
I have 4 kids and my wife has breastfeed all of them but when you decide to join the uniform services, you agree to follow some eimple guidelines, like the proper wear and display of the unfirorm. This picture clearly violates that and they both shuld get in a lot of trouble. Thye could have taken the ABU top out and not show the rank, Air Force insignia. Clearly there is a Non-Commissioned Officer on the picture and she should be ashamed of herself.

First know the rules of the proper wear of the military uniform before you make comments on something like this.

Not every women that breastfeeds in public is in the military...

theonedru
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
It just comes down to the fact that people look at women as sexual objects and thats just sad and pathetic

themanishere
06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Most of the women I've seen breastfeeding in public do it more discreetly, with a blanket for example.

People who say others have a problem with the act itself are missing the point for the most part. It's about context. As someone said, taking a piss is natural but it isn't something you'd necessarily "encourage" in public even aside from legality.

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Most of the women I've seen breastfeeding in public do it more discreetly, with a blanket for example.

People who say others have a problem with the act itself are missing the point for the most part. It's about context. As someone said, taking a piss is natural but it isn't something you'd necessarily "encourage" in public even aside from legality.

The difference being; taking a piss actually leaves something behind (human waste) whereas exposing your breast only leaves an image in the viewer's mind.

theonedru
06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
There is nothing that isn't natural about urinating, but it is illegal to do it in public.

So you would associate the expulsion of waste from ones body to a female nourishing a child? that's not comparable at all.

themanishere
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
The difference being; taking a piss actually leaves something behind (human waste) whereas exposing your breast only leaves an image in the viewer's mind.

I'm speaking more toward the social aspect, not a comparison of the acts in particular.

It's all about perception with context. Breastfeeding in public is perceived as something unbecoming in a public setting for the most part, for reasons of "decency," "discretion" and to an extent privacy. It goes back to certain social expectations and norms many people have of others in public. This is not to say I hold this view, it is my opinion of why others do.

shrewsbury
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
It just comes down to the fact that people look at women as sexual objects and thats just sad and pathetic

you think anyone who doesn't think like you is sad, pathetic, dumb, or has some sort of issue

they could easily put a cloth over the area

has nothing to do with anything sexual, has to do with i don't want to see your private body parts, which breasts are included in that.

this is no different than the topless movement that people tried to start, just unneeded

theonedru
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
you think anyone who doesn't think like you is sad, pathetic, dumb, or has some sort of issue

they could easily put a cloth over the area

has nothing to do with anything sexual, has to do with i don't want to see your private body parts, which breasts are included in that.

this is no different than the topless movement that people tried to start, just unneeded

Why should they be led to believe what they are doing is shameful ... Do you think it is shameful for a mother to feed her child when its hungry? If peple do not want to see it don't stare, its that simple...

shrewsbury
06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
so putting a cloth over something means you are shameful? don't tell the muslims that!

just like you can go to the bathroom to change a diaper you can be more discreet about pulling out your breast in public

and bearing your breast in public should be thought of as shameful, and you can feed your baby without doing this.

if you want to eat, go somewhere appropriate for it

you want me to have respect for others, but let others disrespect me, doesn't worok that way with me

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 07:43 PM
so putting a cloth over something means you are shameful? don't tell the muslims that!

just like you can go to the bathroom to change a diaper you can be more discreet about pulling out your breast in public

and bearing your breast in public should be thought of as shameful, and you can feed your baby without doing this.

if you want to eat, go somewhere appropriate for it

you want me to have respect for others, but let others disrespect me, doesn't worok that way with me

Why?

duwal
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
North Americans are way too hung up on exposed breasts and nudity in general. I can understand the "uniform" aspect of it being wrong, but the breasts themselves should not be a problem, feeding or not.

agreed, though I believe its mostly U.S. moreso then the rest of North America. They are shocked when some celebrity has a nipple slip during some event, they'd probably have a panic attack if they ever went to Europe and saw that nudity is in their shows and commercials during daytime :sign0020:

shrewsbury
06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
if it is so innocent why would it matter what they are wearing? soldiers don't need to feed babies when they are hungry?

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
if it is so innocent why would it matter what they are wearing? soldiers don't need to feed babies when they are hungry?

I don't know. You would have to ask the people who establish the rules about military dress. I couldn't care any less about what they were wearing.

Star_Cards
06-01-2012, 11:54 PM

I definitely agree. nudity and sexual content just freak out many north americans. it's kind of odd if you ask me.

shrewsbury
06-02-2012, 12:02 AM
my wife agrees with you guys, but i still don't like it

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I have absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public.I do however have a huge problem with it not being covered up.Any decent woman with true self esteem would try to shield her breastfeeding from the public at all costs.I would label this "common curtosy".I do believe other children under 10 shouldn't be exposed to this act at their age.~~Dave C.

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 12:13 AM

So you have no problem with this being visual to children under 10???
Whether it's feeding or not,The woman should show a little class for crying out loud!:rant:

shrewsbury
06-02-2012, 12:15 AM
hawk2618, i'm with you

theonedru
06-02-2012, 01:16 AM
[/B]

Whether it's feeding or not,The woman should show a little class for crying out loud!:rant:

See you are equalizing nudity with sexuality, two totally different things. As well
you are basically saying women have no class for feeding their kids..WOW.... Just WOW

AUTaxMan
06-02-2012, 01:26 AM
I don't have a problem with it if it's covered with a blanket or something. I personally just don't want to see some lady's boob when I'm walking down the street, that's all.

theonedru
06-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't have a problem with it if it's covered with a blanket or something. I personally just don't want to see some lady's boob when I'm walking down the street, that's all.

If you do not want to see it why would you be looking at it? :confused0024:

AUTaxMan
06-02-2012, 02:13 AM
If you do not want to see it why would you be looking at it? :confused0024:

You don't have to stare at something to see it.

habsheaven
06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
[/b]

I guess it all comes down to a matter of degrees. You call a woman exposing her breasts as classless. Some Middle Eastern cultures feel the same way about a woman's hair, ankles, midriff, face, etc.

I bet you think they are being a bit ridiculous in their thinking too. A woman's "classiness" (for lack of better word) has little to do with what she is exposing and more to do with WHY she is exposing it.

What a bunch of prudes!!!

ensbergcollector
06-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I guess it all comes down to a matter of degrees. You call a woman exposing her breasts as classless. Some Middle Eastern cultures feel the same way about a woman's hair, ankles, midriff, face, etc.

I bet you think they are being a bit ridiculous in their thinking too. A woman's "classiness" (for lack of better word) has little to do with what she is exposing and more to do with WHY she is exposing it.

What a bunch of prudes!!!

surely even you think there is a difference in an exposed breast and an exposed ankle? the majority of the women i know who breastfeed do so while covering with a small blanket so that they are able to breastfeed without showing their breast to the world.
most people end up in one of two sides. my thought is "why can't they just cover up with a blanket" while others think "why should they have to."

it isn't about anyone thinking a woman feeding their child is wrong and anyone trying to imply that is trying to pick a fight or just plain choosing to state things they know are not the case.

shrewsbury
06-02-2012, 12:02 PM
good post!

habsheaven
06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
surely even you think there is a difference in an exposed breast and an exposed ankle? the majority of the women i know who breastfeed do so while covering with a small blanket so that they are able to breastfeed without showing their breast to the world.
most people end up in one of two sides. my thought is "why can't they just cover up with a blanket" while others think "why should they have to."

it isn't about anyone thinking a woman feeding their child is wrong and anyone trying to imply that is trying to pick a fight or just plain choosing to state things they know are not the case.

I haven't seen anyone here claim that.

ensbergcollector
06-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Check out post 18

theonedru
06-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Check out post 18

I am hardly trying to pick a fight, in fact would you not be the one needling me bu pointing out my post.....

This all comes down to being taught that being naked is disgraceful/dirty/ shameful and that bodies are viewed as sexual vessels ... There is no other reasoning I can see for people to be against it.

themanishere
06-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I think it's strange how there is a mentality that almost says you should "accept" or "embrace" any and all cultural practices. As if disagreeing with something (breastfeeding in public while fully exposed) makes you evil. (Which I find funny because I think most people only "agree" with something superficially many times, with a different story behind closed doors/minds.) Even more so when people speak of how the US is so uptight about "expressiveness" and all. Yet, people hold to the ideal that "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" (e.g. people in other countries don't mind nudity) which is an utterly contradictory perception to the previous sentence (e.g. why is the US so prudish?).

I also feel it is a selective and misguided perspective that people should just turn away from something they don't like when in public...

ensbergcollector
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I am hardly trying to pick a fight, in fact would you not be the one needling me bu pointing out my post.....

This all comes down to being taught that being naked is disgraceful/dirty/ shameful and that bodies are viewed as sexual vessels ... There is no other reasoning I can see for people to be against it.

I pointed out that someone said that and was asked where. No needling involved.

So according to you people should be able to walk around naked without there being a problem? It isnt that nakedness is shameful.

theonedru
06-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I pointed out that someone said that and was asked where. No needling involved.

So according to you people should be able to walk around naked without there being a problem? It isnt that nakedness is shameful.

The problem is not with the nudity, its with peoples perception of nudity. I see nothing wrong with being naked, its our natural state of being. Unless of course you live in a frigid area ( I was once in Winnipeg MB, Canada and it reached -55) then me think clothing is more of a necessity.

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
See you are equalizing nudity with sexuality, two totally different things. As well
you are basically saying women have no class for feeding their kids..WOW.... Just WOW

WOW...I MEAN WOW!!!....If you read my post..you'd see I had nothing against the act in FEEDING the child.But I did say I had a huge problem with the act being exposed in public,especially if toddlers are present,which is where I deemed it classless.Please read posts thoroughly before you respond!:wave: Thank-you

theonedru
06-02-2012, 08:01 PM
[/B]

WOW...I MEAN WOW!!!....If you read my post..you'd see I had nothing against the act in FEEDING the child.But I did say I had a huge problem with the act being exposed in public,especially if toddlers are present,which is where I deemed it classless.Please read posts thoroughly before you respond!:wave: Thank-you

So what is wrong with a woman bearing her breast to feed a child exactly? What makes it so classless for women to do it

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Plain and simple....its just not proper etiquete and decency.If its ok for a woman to expose her breast to feed a child in view of others....wouldn't it then be ok for a woman to whip her breast out in public to scratch an itch?? WOW..I can't believe I have to explain this.It's mindboggling!

theonedru
06-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Plain and simple....its just not proper etiquete and decency.If its ok for a woman to expose her breast to feed a child in view of others....wouldn't it then be ok for a woman to whip her breast out in public to scratch an itch?? WOW..I can't believe I have to explain this.It's mindboggling!

But what makes it so.... That's what I am asking and no one wants to answer it. No one can give a logical answer to it because there isn't one.

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Would be nice to get an answer on this seeing it is exactly the same thing being exposed!Whether its for feeding or scratching,both acts should be welcomed in public but yet if anyone saw a woman pulling her breast out to scratch an itch...she'd surely get the doubletake and stares no?

theonedru
06-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Would be nice to get an answer on this seeing it is exactly the same thing being exposed!Whether its for feeding or scratching,both acts should be welcomed in public but yet if anyone saw a woman pulling her breast out to scratch an itch...she'd surely get the doubletake and stares no?

She would get stares because of the following

1. People stare dehumanizing the female turning her body into a sexual object.
2. People brought up to believe that the human body is dirty/disgusting in one way or another.
3. People mistake being naked for something sexual.

there are the 3 basic things I can think of and they are all wrong in one for or another but not because of the women but because of the person looking.
Heck they show breasts everywhere ..tv, ad's.... movies, magazines and no one has issues with that... Why so with breast feeding....

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Answers to all 3 of your posts above:
1)there is nothing sexual about seeing a baby being breastfed,nice try there
2)people are brought up to keep their body parts private.That's why they are called private parts.Last time I checked,a womens breasts were still considered a private part.
3)Refer to post on 1,
BTW..you never answer my question:
wouldn't it then be ok for a woman to whip her breast out in public to scratch an itch??

shooten
06-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Me Myself And Irene LoL No problem but like the one post said dont get mad if you dont cover up and people stare

theonedru
06-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Answers to all 3 of your posts above:
1)there is nothing sexual about seeing a baby being breastfed,nice try there
2)people are brought up to keep their body parts private.That's why they are called private parts.Last time I checked,a womens breasts were still considered a private part.

3)Refer to post on 1,
BTW..you never answer my question:
wouldn't it then be ok for a woman to whip her breast out in public to scratch an itch??

You can scratch an itch through clothing, you cannot feed a child through clothing so why you would compare the 2 is silly, as such there is nothing to answer. If you think of a better analogy then I will.

You say stuff like "people are brought up to keep their body parts private.That's why they are called private parts.Last time I checked,a women's breasts were still considered a private part." But you cannot give a valid reason why thats so; All I hear back harkens to basically whats been repeated before people looking at women an sexual object or preconceived antiquated notions that the human body is dirty and shameful. Both of which are not the woman's fault

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 10:31 PM
A valid reason is because:women arent allowed to waltz around the public with their breasts showing.I can't believe you don't get that.When that is allowed(most likely never anytime soon),then publically breatsfeeding not shielded will be acceptable.

theonedru
06-02-2012, 10:54 PM
A valid reason is because:women arent allowed to waltz around the public with their breasts showing.I can't believe you don't get that.When that is allowed(most likely never anytime soon),then publically breatsfeeding not shielded will be acceptable.

And why are they not allowed to? I am trying to get down to the deep seeded root of it. Its not my fault I am getting half answers. Is it because no one can think of a logical answer that makes sense?

hawk2618
06-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Tell you what???...Tomorrow morning,I want you to get up and take a walk,go to the park or mall,anywhere where there's women present.I next want you to ask each and every one of them that you pass by why they aren't allowed to walk around with no shirts or bras and I'm pretty sure they will say exactly what I've posted the last 10 posts I typed,or they might just laugh at you.If by then...you STILL don't get it?
I have no answer for you! Maybe try googling "why aren't women allowed to walk around with shirts or bras on" you might get a clear cut answer!

theonedru
06-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Tell you what???...Tomorrow morning,I want you to get up and take a walk,go to the park or mall,anywhere where there's women present.I next want you to ask each and every one of them that you pass by why they aren't allowed to walk around with no shirts or bras and I'm pretty sure they will say exactly what I've posted the last 10 posts I typed,or they might just laugh at you.If by then...you STILL don't get it?
I have no answer for you! Maybe try googling "why aren't women allowed to walk around with shirts or bras on" you might get a clear cut answer!

I will do that but only if you tell every female you see or the next week that women who breastfeed exposed in public are classless like you said them to be .....
I find it funny you are so worked up about something you believe in that you do not even know yourself the root core of why you believe it to be...

hawk2618
06-03-2012, 02:20 AM
Based upon all your answers,I would've expected your age to be in your early 20's seeing you would aprove shirtless women and not 38.I'm a 51 yr old and since I was born,it has ALWAYS been this way,just like its always been this way for you.I'm old school and I honestly believe a woman is actually sexier with clothes on,depending on what they are wearing.I honestly believe the answer you're looking for is that 90% of women aren't model body looking and the thought of all women going bra and shirtless would be less attractive than sexy to society.

theonedru
06-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Based upon all your answers,I would've expected your age to be in your early 20's seeing you would aprove shirtless women and not 38.I'm a 51 yr old and since I was born,it has ALWAYS been this way,just like its always been this way for you.I'm old school and I honestly believe a woman is actually sexier with clothes on,depending on what they are wearing.I honestly believe the answer you're looking for is that 90% of women aren't model body looking and the thought of all women going bra and shirtless would be less attractive than sexy to society.

Personally I just have no issue with it because what a person wears (or doesn't wear) just doesn't bother me, mainly do to the fact just plain do not care. a person can have a perfect 10 type body and drop dead looks but if they have nothing upstairs I could care less about them. To me its what inside that drives to the person that attracts me. I actually get it from my parents who would be in their 60's if they were both alive. The bottle is just a vessel for the mind. I actually understand where you are coming from and I can respect that, as much as I don't agree with it. I look forward to butting heads in future threads...

shrewsbury
06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
theonedru, i will have to say my wife and now daughter agree with you, and even called me a prude.

but i still feel the same way, don't see that changing

angel0430
06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Some of you are missing the point. The issue at hand is not the breastfeeding part, is the fact that they are wearing a military uniforma and that they are not folowwing the proper wear of a military uniform.