PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles becomes the biggest U.S. city to ban plastic bags

pwaldo
05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149120/Los-Angeles-biggest-U-S-city-ban-plastic-bags---theyll-charge-10c-paper-one.html

andrewhoya
05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
We always use reuseables, and they're great.

hawk2618
05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Paper is good!! Nobody will miss plastic..trust me. Heck.....I bring cardboard boxes with me when I shop.Easier to carry the groceries.

shrewsbury
05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
i am sure this will help their economy

theonedru
06-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Why dosen't every state put a mandatory refund on all drinking vessels. This would reduce waste and litter the best.

AUTaxMan
06-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Why dosen't every state put a mandatory refund on all drinking vessels. This would reduce waste and litter the best.

So you want the government to make person A pay money to person B?

mrveggieman
06-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I have mixed views on this. Yes it helps the enviorment but for the people who don't have cars and have to walk with their groceries or use public transportation plastic bags are much easier to carry.

duane1969
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
How do they know that plastic grocery bags comprise 19% of the plastic waste? I am always baffled when I hear random stats like this tossed out. Is there some trash study group that weighs the indivisual trash components before it is dumped? Is there a guy who keeps track of what plastic items are brought to the waste dump?

MadMan1978
06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
How is this a True P&R Topic?

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 01:47 PM

This surprises me. You mean there are places in the States where bottles are not recycleable? Up here, we pay a 10 cent fee on every drink container purchased and can return it for a 5 cent refund. The other 5 cents is kept to pay for the recycling program. It makes a huge difference in the litter problem.

As for plastic bags at the grocery store. They cost 5 cents each if you forget to bring your own bags.

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM

I would guess that it is so because it is discussing the policies enacted by an elected body.

theonedru
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
This surprises me. You mean there are places in the States where bottles are not recycleable? Up here, we pay a 10 cent fee on every drink container purchased and can return it for a 5 cent refund. The other 5 cents is kept to pay for the recycling program. It makes a huge difference in the litter problem.

As for plastic bags at the grocery store. They cost 5 cents each if you forget to bring your own bags.

I know eh and look at the difference, there is alot less litter and garbage strewn around up there then down here. Canadians are just a little ahead of the game in general.

AUTaxMan
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM

That is a much better solution than an outright ban.

habsheaven
06-01-2012, 03:49 PM
That is a much better solution than an outright ban.

Not really. No one cares about paying an extra .50c to $1 on a $150 grocery bill. It's not much of a deterent.

pwaldo
06-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Why do you always run into my topics and say this? You didn't say anything in the ban on sugary drink thread? This is a ban on plastic bags and that was a ban on sugary drinks.....seems like they would be the same thing no?

I was under the impression that laws passed by the government had something to do with politics otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

duane1969
06-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Here is WV there is no recycling requirement or deposit on bottles. When I was a kid there was a 5 cent deposit on glass soda bottles but that was phased out with plastic. There has been some movement to push for mandatory recycling and bottle refunds but it never gets anywhere.

MadMan1978
06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Why do you always run into my topics and say this? You didn't say anything in the ban on sugary drink thread? This is a ban on plastic bags and that was a ban on sugary drinks.....seems like they would be the same thing no?

I was under the impression that laws passed by the government had something to do with politics otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Honestly I do not think this is a P&R topic as a couple were posted in the last week or so ...

andrewhoya
06-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Politics is a broad topic. I think a lot of things fall into it, even if they are smaller, like this.

pwaldo
06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Honestly I do not think this is a P&R topic as a couple were posted in the last week or so ...

Well there are 3 mods for this board so why don't the 3 mods vote what is acceptable and what is not? With 3 there won't be a tie. Then we can stop interrupting threads questioning if they are valid or not.

Or just move it to the Chit Chat (Off topic) board.

mrveggieman
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Here is WV there is no recycling requirement or deposit on bottles. When I was a kid there was a 5 cent deposit on glass soda bottles but that was phased out with plastic. There has been some movement to push for mandatory recycling and bottle refunds but it never gets anywhere.

Yeah I remember when I was a kid growing up in the dc area in the 1980s they were talking about adding a deposit to cans and bottles. It was voted down however. I think that it would be a good idea. It would encourage recycling as well as reducing litter. Also people may be less likely to buy sugary drinks if they know they had to pay extra for it in the form of a deposit.