PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck Father's Day Contest

AlexTheGr8
06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
*Approved by RGM81*

It's that time of year again where we all thank our dads for getting most of us into the hobby and always being there for us. In addition to the Upper Deck Father of the Year Contest where you can win SIX boxes of Upper Deck product, I decided to hold one of my own. All you have to do is tell me your favourite collecting moment with your father or if you are a father, share the favourite card collecting moment with your child(ren). The deadline for contest entry is Father's Day which falls on Sunday, June 17th this year. Here is what's up for grabs:

2010 Upper Deck World of Sports Tournament-Worn Memorabilia Card of Tiger Woods
11/12 Upper Deck Series 2 Assorted RC Lot of 12:
Brayden McNabb Series 2 YG
Frederic St. Denis Series 2 YG
Sean Couturier Series 2 MVP RC
Mark Scheifele Series 2 OPC RC
Peter Holland Series 2 Victory RC
Louis LeBlanc Series 2 Victory RC
Gustav Nyquist Serues 2 Victory RC
Justin Faulk Series 2 Victory RC
Alexei Emelin Series 2 Victory RC
Brett Connolly Series 2 Victory RC

10/11 Upper Deck Artifacts Treasured Swatches Emerald /15 of Jeff Carter (Future Stanley Cup Champion)
2012 Upper Deck Spring Expo Priority Signings /25 of Stephen Weiss (Team Canada)
One Upper Deck RC, Jersey, and Autograph from your favourite team

All you have to do to win those great prizes is share your favourite card collecting moment with your Father or vice versa by 11:59 P.M. on Father's Day. There will only be one winner and it will be determined via random.org (video link will be posted on June 18th). Each story counts as one entry. All members from all countries including SCF staff are eligible. One entry per person. Remember to enter Upper Deck's contest as well to have an opportunity to win SIX boxes of Upper Deck product as well. Good luck to all and to all a good luck.

Alex

patriotsguy
06-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Approved

flopfish
06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Honestly, I have too many awesome memories sharing my dad the cards I pulled. Although he is not a collector, he appreciates it and knows I take a great deal of pride in my collection. Showing him the cards and the designs and the pieces they use and seeing his reaction is something I'll never forget. I also got my uncle back into collecting since he moved into our house while he is building one :sign0020:

As far as single, favourite moment, it would be the first show I went to with him last year. He was amazed by everything there as far as the technology and design, but more impressed with my knowledge about stuff. I was about to buy a box of cards, Artifacts to be exact, when he said to make sure to choose a good number and then paid for it himself. I ended up choosing 24, because of a day in the year (his B-day) and ended up this, the best patch I had yet to pull ad arguably the best patch I'll ever pull, http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff517/flopscards/Hockey%20Cards/2011-12%20Artifacts/photo.jpg

Thanks for the contest :)

Zuback
06-10-2012, 11:20 PM
My best story happens to deal with my son Matthew. Matthew was born in 2007. At that time, I had been collecting Hockey Cards for 30 years. I tried to figure out what could be something that he and I could do each year, once he was old enough that provide son and dad time that we could enjoy away from my wife and my 2 oldest daughters. What I came up with, was collecting McDonald's Upper Deck Cards. So, for the next 2 years, I would put the set together. Then when he was almost 3 we went to McDonald's to final be able to share this experience. I can remember as if it was yesterday. He had burger, small fries and chocolate milk - kids meal. I ordered a large order of fries. I asked the girl how many packs I could get? She said as many as I wanted, so to be nice I got 6. As Matthew sat and ate, I opened the packs. He would look at them, but was not sure what they were and continued to eat. The best card we got was a skate card - which that I can not remember who it was. That 30 minutes was like gold. A memory that one can never erase like a chalkboard as it is etched in time.

Unfortunately, after that Upper Deck decided not to produce cards with McDonalds and as such, I felt that this special journey that we had started would never be lived again, until this past year. When, Upper Deck produced cards for McDonald's in Montreal. So, I had a few trading friends of mine out in east help me out - Japold2 (Jack Archambault) and RGM81 (Richard McAdam) with a couple of trades, so that I could get the set together. Though it was not the same as going to McDonald's to open the packs as we ate, it was still fun when I was able to show Matthew, who is now 5, the cards that I got for him. We placed them in his special McDonald's only hockey card binder for him to look at all of years he has. He pulls it out of his closet regularly and looks at all of the cards that he has. He knows not to take them out of the covering as this will wreck them.

To top it off, after the cards came in, we did what we had done a couple of years before....we went to McDonald's.

Tony Zuback
Medicine Hat, Alberta

Srman77
06-15-2012, 05:08 PM
The best memory of my dad and I for hockey card collecting, wasn't so much a pull from a pack but rather getting an in person autograph last year. I thought that it would be great since my dad and I don't spend much time together since I've been married and had a child, to get us tickets to the Detroit Red Wings HockeyFest where there would be autograph signings, locker room tours, etc. We'll we went and while there my dad and I were asking an attendant how to get to the press boxes. As we're standing there, coming out the doors behind us with security personel was none other than Pavel Datsyuk. My dad at the time didn't even realize who was behind us until I said "Pop, look behind you." as calmy as I could. My dad was even surprised when he turned around and there in his suit in none other than #13 Pavel Datsyuk. Mr. Datsyuk was kind enough to take a picture with us and even signed a card for us. Now everytime I I look at that card I think about what a great time my dad and I had, and look forward to going back if they hold Hockeyfest next year, and can't wait to take my kids so they can have memories, like the one I have with my dad.

AlexTheGr8
06-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Random Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vsaQInUR0g

Zuback
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
So, is this who won this contest or upper decks?

AlexTheGr8
06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
So, is this who won this contest or upper decks?
This is my contest that I decided to hold with my cards. Here is Upper Deck's winner: http://upperdeckblog.com/2012/06/eric-kageyama-is-upper-deck%E2%80%99s-first-%E2%80%98father-of-the-year%E2%80%99/

Srman77
06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Congrats to the winner.