PDA

View Full Version : Obama official warns that UN proposals could lead to censorship of the Internet

pwaldo
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/230247-state-official-warns-of-un-censorship-of-the-internet

habsheaven
06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't think this is anything to worry about. The US can just veto any proposal it doesn't agree with I believe.

theonedru
06-06-2012, 12:03 AM
No ones owns the internet no one can censor it.... The US thinks it controls the real world so they want total power over the virtual one as well! Do not be thinking so....

duane1969
06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
No ones owns the internet no one can censor it.... The US thinks it controls the real world so they want total power over the virtual one as well! Do not be thinking so....

Um, it is actually the U.N. trying to extend it's control over the internet, not the U.S.

pwaldo
06-06-2012, 03:55 PM

The UN is the one that wants control over the Internet.

DaClyde
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
The UN is the one that wants control over the Internet.

But the US already thinks it controls the Internet. This is just a spat over imagined territory.

pwaldo
06-07-2012, 05:08 PM
But the US already thinks it controls the Internet. This is just a spat over imagined territory.

Not really....unless somebody wants to show me some proof.

If the US thought it controlled the Internet they would be clamping down on us like they do in Australia and they really don't outside of what Hollywood tells them to shut down. They censor TV and radio but they really haven't censored the Internet up until this point. I don't even see how this is even debatable.

Why anybody would want an Internet governed by the UN let alone one China and Russia wants is beyond me.