PDA

View Full Version : WARNING to those who text while driving!

MadMan1978
06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/06/06/haverhill-teen-convicted-motor-vehicle-homicide-fatal-crash-tied-texting/ORSyThaV1G2Y3a3TAkANmI/story.html

Also know I know the family and such of this kid. I am not judging anymore then that.

It took only a few hours to find him Guilty...

EDIT: He was sentence to 4 1/2 tears but that was suspended and he is serve 1 year in County Jail...
Loss of Drivers License for 15 years
I was also told, but cant confirm, He is prohibited from use a of a cell phone

mrveggieman
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Wow such a sad story for all parties involved.

angel0430
06-06-2012, 03:04 PM
I guess that you have to set precedence at one point so This is it. Poor kid for amking a bad judgement call.

pghin08
06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I guess that you have to set precedence at one point so This is it. Poor kid for amking a bad judgement call.

Agreed. People who drive drunk are making bad judgment calls too, but society is much quicker to chastise them. Texting while driving is just something that I won't do. If it's that important (and let's face it, it almost never is), then I'll pull over.

stlcardinalsfan
06-06-2012, 04:42 PM
one of the dumbest things that mankind had ever done.

theonedru
06-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Such a light sentence for killing a guy but at least its a start. Hopefully all the other morons who text and drive will get a clue (but prob not since they are pretty clueless in the 1st place).

theonedru
06-07-2012, 12:20 AM

Poor kid nothing, he knew it was wrong and he killed a guy .. More like poor dead guy and his family.

bouncer
06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Unfortunately, justice was not served for the victims family. One year is a joke for killing someone while texting and driving. The kid is only sorry because of what happened. I'm sure he has done this hundreds of times prior to this.

Star_Cards
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm curious how this stands up to other instances of people who have been sentenced for vehicular manslaughter (non texting). Sure you can't put a sentence value or any sort of value on a life, but I'm not one to say that the kid got off lightly either. His prison sentence is short but I'd assume that many people who have killed people in auto accidents where it was due to their not paying attention the prison sentences are similar. Not being able to drive for 15 years is a pretty big punishment in my opinion. Think about not being able to drive for 15 years. That's a pretty big deal.

It's definitely tragic all around. The kid made a horrible mistake and is being punished. Part of me wonders if he'd be of better use reaching out to people who text and drive. I was trying to put myself in the situation if I was a family member of the person he killed. It's pretty impossible, but part of me wonders if I'd want him to share this tragedy to other drivers who text and drive to positively influence others. Seems like there may be more good brought by this than him sitting in prison for a year. Although I think he should have punishment on top of that. Maybe he should serve his prison time while sharing his story with others as well?

andrewhoya
06-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow, he got off way too easy.

Star_Cards
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm curious what the people saying he got of easy would think his punishment should be.

andrewhoya
06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm curious what the people saying he got of easy would think his punishment should be.

He ended a life. His should be ended as well.

MadMan1978
06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
it was an is was an accident
although he texting lead to the accident...he did not plan it ...he did not attend to harm anyone. He is remorseful and this whole thing has taken a huge toll on him as well. I am surprised he will only do a year overall--

theonedru
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM

he knew what he was doing was wrong and could result in what he did, but his ignorance decided it was ok anyway.....

10 years to think about his arrogance should do it

Star_Cards
06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
He ended a life. His should be ended as well.

really. death penalty?

Star_Cards
06-11-2012, 05:00 PM
he knew what he was doing was wrong and could result in what he did, but his ignorance decided it was ok anyway.....

hmm.. I'm one that thinks his punishment was pretty spot on. I could have seen him getting a few more years as well. Does the fact that he was texting make you say he should have gotten 10 years as apposed to another driver that may cause an accident and take a life while messing this the radio or eating or dropped a cigarette, or was talking to a friend in the back and turned around? Just asking to see if the texting aspect of it should mean more time in your opinion.

theonedru
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
hmm.. I'm one that thinks his punishment was pretty spot on. I could have seen him getting a few more years as well. Does the fact that he was texting make you say he should have gotten 10 years as apposed to another driver that may cause an accident and take a life while messing this the radio or eating or dropped a cigarette, or was talking to a friend in the back and turned around? Just asking to see if the texting aspect of it should mean more time in your opinion.

Anything that is a hazard to your driving or any ability where you end up taking a life should be treated with more aggressive sentences, I do not care if it is an accident, someone was stupid enough to do something to take a life and they should get more than some paltry slap on the wrist.

andrewhoya
06-11-2012, 05:29 PM
really. death penalty?

He killed somebody else, no?

MadMan1978
06-11-2012, 09:17 PM

he was 17 at the time of the accident do you really believe he is capable of that type of thought? Meaning I am sure he did not think of the chain of of events on the one time an accident could happen, since he had done this same action hundred of times before.

andrewhoya
06-11-2012, 09:27 PM
he was 17 at the time of the accident do you really believe he is capable of that type of thought? Meaning I am sure he did not think of the chain of of events on the one time an accident could happen, since he had done this same action hundred of times before.

That's the problem. Nobody thinks it will happen to them. If they dont start cracking down on the penalties this will never stop.

theonedru
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM

He was mature enough to get a license, he is perfectly capable of thinking logically but instead chose to ignore logic and killed someone .... And the fact that there are others still driving and texting is deplorable.....