PDA

View Full Version : US taxpayers were funding a $20 million puppet show for Pakistani children

pwaldo
06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77060.html

Elmo’s world just got a little smaller.

The famous “Sesame Street” character isn’t long for the airwaves in Pakistan, after USAID pulled funding on Tuesday for its $20 million Children’s Television Project, an official with the organization confirmed to POLITICO.

The official said USAID cut its ties to the TV group in Pakistan after receiving a number of tips on an anonymous anti-fraud hotline about the misappropriation of U.S. funds.

Of the $20 million that had been pledged to the group, $6.7 million had been dispersed as of March 31, the USAID official said.

A Lahore-based group, the Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop, was responsible for creating the Sesame Street-type show and was the sole recipient of USAID funding. It was working in collaboration with Sesame Street in the United States.

A representative of Sesame Workshop, the American company that produces Sesame Street and worked with the RPTW to produce the show - called “Sim Sim Hamara” - said they were “surprised and dismayed to learn about the serious allegations made against Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop.”

The company left the door open for continued work in Pakistan, however, saying, “It is our hope that the achievements of Sim Sim Hamara, and the gains we have made in the lives of children in Pakistan, will carry on. … Sesame Workshop will continue to work to improve the lives and futures of children in Pakistan and elsewhere around the world.”

The show, which featured Elmo and a cast of new puppets, premiered in December and was scheduled to run for at least three seasons before the U.S. ended the funding.

duane1969
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
A) How the heck does a Sesame Street theatre show cost $20 million?

and

B) Why the heck is our government funding it?

The willy-nilly way in which politicians freely spend money that isn't theirs apparently knows no end.

pghin08
06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't even know what to say.

pwaldo
06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
A) How the heck does a Sesame Street theatre show cost $20 million?

and

B) Why the heck is our government funding it?

The willy-nilly way in which politicians freely spend money that isn't theirs apparently knows no end.

I honestly don't know what is worse the fact that they are funding it or that they think you need $20 million to fund a puppet show.

Rockman
06-13-2012, 03:44 AM
I honestly don't know what is worse the fact that they are funding it or that they think you need $20 million to fund a puppet show.

They forgot to mention it was directed by Michael Bay and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

Aikman_TheGreat
06-13-2012, 04:03 AM
I'm still having to pay for 09, and it sucks. Because I know our government is just paying theirselves and other stuff we dont need. Oh yea, maybe we should help out our fellow Americans?

Frantiic
06-13-2012, 04:24 AM
that is craaazy . 20 mill for a puppet show? i reckon they could do it for like 10 bucks. buy a couple of used puppets and build a wooden frame. all set !