PDA

View Full Version : Fines for swearing in public in Massachusetts town

pwaldo
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77329.html

A Massachusetts town is crying foul on residents with dirty mouths.

Middleborough, a town of about 20,000 residents in the southeastern corner of the state, voted 183-50 on Monday to empower police officers to issue a $20 fine for cursing in public, The Associated Press reported. As there’s no official list of offending words, tickets are left to the officer’s discretion, Police Chief Bruce Gates said at the town meeting.

mrveggieman
06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77329.html

Wow the end of our free society as we know it.

andrewhoya
06-14-2012, 10:19 AM
No official list of words? This law isnt lasting.

Star_Cards
06-14-2012, 10:59 AM
this is completely ridiculous. I wonder how many officers will actually use this. Doesn't sound like it would be used on people who say a curse word here and there.

I also noticed in the last part of the article they decriminalized drinking and smoking marijuana in public and made them $50 and $300 fines.

MattDMC
06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
So much for free speech looks like you have to pay if you want to speak your mind now.

duane1969
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Unenforceable laws that have more holes than swiss cheese.

1. A word that is a foul word to me might not be to someone else, or vice versa. My daughter says "freakin" all the time and her uber-Christian boss asks her "not to use that type of language". (No defined list = no enforceable law)

2. I often substitute words for curse words, partially as a joke and partially to trim my langauge. A big one that I use is "son of a biscuit". What if a cop hears that and thinks I said that other word and gives me a ticket? (Subjective laws = unenforceable laws)

3. Freedom of speech is protected as long as it isn't inciting riot or promoting the overthrow of the government. It's a shame that poiliticians from Middleborough, Mass. are too stupid to comprehend that.

Just once, I would like to see government officials do something useful or of value. Middleborough has a higher rape rate and a higher assault rate than the rest of Massachusetts...there, I already found a bigger issue that they should be focusing on, and it only took me a 2 minute search on Google.

Frantiic
06-15-2012, 02:24 AM
this is ridiculous, why are they going after people who curse? like you said Duane, there's alot of other things to worry about. this world is getting dumber and dumber by the minute.

I mean, its not the end of the world if you use foul language. sure its not nice to hear some one down the street going all crazy with this and that word. but you should not fine people for doing it. let them know that its not acceptable, and give them a warning. and after one or two strikes, give them a fine.