PDA

View Full Version : is a horse an athlete?

mfp535
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I have been thinking about this
is a horse an athlete?

debtriddin
06-14-2012, 11:23 PM
whoa that's way to deep for me.

cheers mike

DJ Sportscards
06-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I think anything that competes athletically (in this case running) are athletes. Just my opinion though.

JWinn
06-14-2012, 11:41 PM
They can be. Absolutely.

We have two.

One of them, the male, used to be a show horse, and was a champion in his day. Has all the ribbons and paperwork to prove it.

He is definitely an athlete. He works out, and needs more food than the other because of he's always going. And despite his extra food, he's skinnier, more muscular than the female.

Who also was a show horse, but nowhere near in the same league as the male. And did not do anywhere near the showing he did. She has spent over twenty years just feeding, and being ridden a bit here and there.

They are like people. Some are athletes, and some are not.

We used to have a third. Another female we had to put down just two weeks ago. She was also a champion show horse, although again, nothing like the male. While she wasn't the athlete the male is, she was more so than the female we have left.

And these are just showers. I imagine racers are even more athletic than them.

Funny you should ask this now. We just brought the male home last week, as we only have a two stall barn, and he is SO MUCH different than the females. After much discussion, we realized his whole behavior is like Shannon Sharpe. An athlete! And needs to be treated as such.

While the females were/are happy to just graze, and be plain old horses, not him. He needs to run, needs to be worked, NEEDS to function as an athlete.

Even retired for four years now (He was my daughters), he still wants to go go go. It's who he is. The female is like driving a Cadillac. The male is like a Ferrari. Two totally different animals.

You bet. A horse can definitely be an athlete.

MattDMC
06-15-2012, 03:49 AM
Personally I would say no.

The Jockey is an athlete but the horse no, If there were no jockey the horse wouldn't be out there running competitively.

Thats just my take.

theonedru
06-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Personally I would say no.

The Jockey is an athlete but the horse no, If there were no jockey the horse wouldn't be out there running competitively.

Thats just my take.

other way around, the horse can still run without the jockey..... The jockey needs a horse......... The horse is an athlete

MattDMC
06-15-2012, 06:00 AM
other way around, the horse can still run without the jockey..... The jockey needs a horse......... The horse is an athlete

Yes I realize the horse can run without a jockey thats why I said the horse wouldn't be running competitively.

Would the horse be smart enough to put itself in a position to win without a jockey at the reigns? Would a horse be able to maintain a steady pace and then use a last minute burst of power down the front stretch without a jockey controlling it? The answer would be no. The horse would just be out there running but not at all competitively or in a racing manor.

Sure a horse can go out and run by itself but would it be able to run an actual race with no guidance of a Jockey?

If you put all the horses in a starting gate without a jockey would they actually take off and run an entire lap of the track and compete with the other horses on the track to be the first across the line?

I honestly say no.

Just my opinion, a horse is not an athlete but an instrument that the jockey uses.

Frantiic
06-15-2012, 06:06 AM
I like to think so yes. They compete, they rank wether they are good or bad, if the win or loose. they are training.

Star_Cards
06-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I say absolutely. I've heard some jockeys talking about being able to tell their horse loves to race. It's probably a similar feel when you have a dog that really enjoys an activity and gets excited. Obviously they need a rider to help control them in the race, but I think they know that they are competing. There's evidence in the animal kingdom that animals have a competitive drive outside of just doing so for food or a mate.

Star_Cards
06-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes I realize the horse can run without a jockey thats why I said the horse wouldn't be running competitively.

Would the horse be smart enough to put itself in a position to win without a jockey at the reigns? Would a horse be able to maintain a steady pace and then use a last minute burst of power down the front stretch without a jockey controlling it? The answer would be no. The horse would just be out there running but not at all competitively or in a racing manor.

Sure a horse can go out and run by itself but would it be able to run an actual race with no guidance of a Jockey?

If you put all the horses in a starting gate without a jockey would they actually take off and run an entire lap of the track and compete with the other horses on the track to be the first across the line?

I honestly say no.

Just my opinion, a horse is not an athlete but an instrument that the jockey uses.

I definitely get that horses don't understand the race like humans do. Their minds just aren't as evolved as ours. Of course they aren't athletes to extent of human athletes but I don't think that means they can't be considered athletes just because they can't do things like a human athlete.

bblair_2002
06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Well the horses are running and a race of any kind (aside from NASCAR and other motorized racing) would require someone or something to have athletic ability so of course I'd consider a horse an athlete.

Monsterx
06-15-2012, 01:00 PM
The horse has no idea why it's doing what it's doing. It just thinks that's the way life is. They don't know they are training for a race. That's the human aspect of it, a race is for people. The horse just knows to run and run fast, not run faster than the other horses.

But.....they train like athletes, compete like athletes, get ranked, win/lose - but those are all people things.

Maybe they're the athletes of the horse world :)

Insane Irish
06-15-2012, 01:12 PM
To be technical, no. By definition alone it has to be a "person".

ath·lete/ˈaTHlēt/Noun: A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise

That being said by that definition I would leave out NASCAR drivers as "athletes" too. :)

bwlingod26
06-17-2012, 12:27 AM
absolutely

habsheaven
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
That's a great question to start with. I may be naive but I think the horses do like the competition and do want to finish first (at least some of them). If you look at animals in the wild, they compete with each other all the time while growing up. Not much of a stretch to think horses on a track catch on to the competition aspect of the race after a race or two.

Also, to the other poster's point about the jockey being the athelete and the horse just doing what they are asked by the jockey, how would this point apply to greyhounds? They compete with no human intervention.

MattDMC
06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Also, to the other poster's point about the jockey being the athelete and the horse just doing what they are asked by the jockey, how would this point apply to greyhounds? They compete with no human intervention.

If I'm not mistaking the Greyhounds are just out there chasing a motorized rabbit. If there wasn't something out there they were chasing they wouldn't be running as fast or as competitively. Can a motorized stuffed rabbit be an athlete?

mfp535
06-17-2012, 04:05 PM
this thread was a joke..

MattDMC
06-17-2012, 04:21 PM
this thread was a joke..

It may have started off as a joke but it has made people think about horse racing in a whole new light and I enjoyed listening to peoples beliefs on the subject at hand.

While I still say horses and greyhounds aren't athletes I do find it kind of interesting as to why some believe they could be considered athletes.

JWinn
06-17-2012, 04:24 PM
this thread was a joke..

That's too bad.

Star_Cards
06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
why was it a joke? I think it's a valid discussion.

CarlosBeltran3
06-28-2012, 01:50 AM
A horse is absolutely an athlete! They are the ones running all the races, not the jockeys

MattDMC
06-28-2012, 05:37 AM
A horse is absolutely an athlete! They are the ones running all the races, not the jockeys

See what happens when you put the horses out there without a jockey though.
The horses won't be running nearly as competitively without the jockey as they do with the jockey. Its the jockeys moves and decisions that put a horse in the winners circle. Does the horse decide to hang in mid pack for the first 3/4 and then make a dash for the final 1/4? No the horse doesn't its all about the jockey and how he chooses to run the horse/race.

windmortal
06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Nope ... not an athlete

CarlosBeltran3
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Ya, that's true