PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow Spiders

palmdesertcards
06-15-2012, 12:48 AM
I have begun my annual World War 3 against black widows. I live in the desert of southwest california and these things are all over my patio. Hadn't seen one all year until i found 7 tonight.

Any tips on keeping these things away? I am going to clear ALL dead leaves and such off the patio and try to keep it clutter free. I blasted the entire patio and all cracks and the entire foundation of the area with some good bug killer.

Any ideas? Would hate to get them inside the house/or giving me and my lady any bites.

Frantiic
06-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Hey man!

Found this on another site

"Are they clearing lots or developing nearby land for houses? When we moved into our home 11 years ago, we backed up to a field. Never had a problem. As soon as they started bulldozing that field for new houses, we were overrun with black widows. I can still look at a web and tell you instantly if it was spun by a widow. Nasty little things.

Keep the garage clear, if possible, to eliminate the kinds of hidey holes they like. Avoid them. The female is the dangerous one, and she's usually pretty shy. Just don't blunder into her web. You'll know the webs because they look really random, with lines that stretch here and there from some box or pot, or log to the ground.
"
also found this website that might help aswell http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-black-widow-spiders/

hope that helps bud!

Those tiny creatures are the worst. im happy we dont have that kind of animals in sweden. worst thing that can happen to you here is if you get attacked by a bear :) and that is NOT likely.

palmdesertcards
06-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Wow thats so interesting about them coming after clearing a field! I can't imagine seeing dozens of them or more!

Hopefully my toxic nuke sent them packing. I am the same way, I can recognize that web instantly.

Monsterx
06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Have you tried an AK47? Works great for duck hunting too :)

Frantiic
06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Wow thats so interesting about them coming after clearing a field! I can't imagine seeing dozens of them or more!

Hopefully my toxic nuke sent them packing. I am the same way, I can recognize that web instantly.

:thumb:

palmdesertcards
06-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Have you tried an AK47? Works great for duck hunting too :)

yup but the holes in my stucco allowed for much easier entry:sign0020:

Monsterx
06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
yup but the holes in my stucco allowed for much easier entry:sign0020:
Hahaha, good one! Maybe some sort of flame thrower...?

palmdesertcards
06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Hahaha, good one! Maybe some sort of flame thrower...?

if you got one FT post it up:horn:

Monsterx
06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
if you got one FT post it up:horn:

A propane tank slightly cracked open and a lighter should do the trick.

:confused0068:

Frantiic
06-15-2012, 12:19 PM
napalm is pretty effective too.. :)

palmdesertcards
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
LOL im pretty happy i just went out there and found a dead one!

Frantiic
06-15-2012, 12:24 PM
LOL im pretty happy i just went out there and found a dead one!

Great! hope the sprey works. nasty creatures!

Monsterx
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
napalm is pretty effective too.. :)

Haha, too sticky to work with! LOVE your banner!

But seriously man, black widows are no joke. Hope ya get em all :)
:fighting0016:

You should surround your bed with that sticky insect catcher tape :)

palmdesertcards
06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Just hosed down the whole patio, the thing is a mass grave of bugs. Found 4 widows DEAD and pretty much every cricket that decided to walk thru here last night.

duane1969
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Do you have a crawlspace under to your house? My wife is a major arachnophobe and we used to have problems with spiders getting in the house through our crawlspace. Now about once a month I set off a Raid MAX Deep Reach fogger under the house. Never see spiders in the house anymore.

You also might want to try some Cyonara lawn and garden spray. You spray it on your lawn and the ground in a 3 foot perimeter around your home. Works for 8 weeks. Good stuff. I use it to kill and control fire ants but it works on everything from spiders to millipedes to ticks too. It's like $45 per 8 oz. bottle but you only use 2 oz. per application so it easily last the entire season.

jlzinck
06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
For some reason spiders freak me the heco out. EXCEPT for Daddy Long Legs and Tarantula's.

A woman I worked with a few years ago bought grapes, got them home and found a Black Widow in them while washing them.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

palmdesertcards
06-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Ugh a black widow in some grapes would be unpleasant to say the least

patriotsguy
06-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Well do you have the equivalent to Billy the Exterminator in California?

Reminds me of a story. I am a manager for one of the largest pet supply chains in the US and Canada, I work in the pet field (fish, small pets, reptiles etc.). One of my associates thought it would be a great idea to scare the hell out of me since I DO NOT LIKE spiders. Se has a rose air tarantula as a pet.

Well one day I come into work and my dept. is busy, she asks me to go into the fridge in our backroom and get some meal worms for a customer. I go back like any other time, open the fridge and there is this big thing sitting on top of the meal worms in a zip lock bag. As I am not prepared to see this I screamed like a little girl followed by some more explicit language that I can't say here.

What was it you ask, her tarantula, to a point. As I learned that day they shed their entire exoskeleton and it looks as real as they do.

Any a little sidetracked, back to original topic, KILL those darn black widows, do whatever it takes, call the national guard, heck, call in the army, marines, navy, air force and the national guard, eradicate those little buggers.

:wave:

andrewhoya
06-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Well do you have the equivalent to Billy the Exterminator in California?

Reminds me of a story. I am a manager for one of the largest pet supply chains in the US and Canada, I work in the pet field (fish, small pets, reptiles etc.). One of my associates thought it would be a great idea to scare the hell out of me since I DO NOT LIKE spiders. Se has a rose air tarantula as a pet.

Well one day I come into work and my dept. is busy, she asks me to go into the fridge in our backroom and get some meal worms for a customer. I go back like any other time, open the fridge and there is this big thing sitting on top of the meal worms in a zip lock bag. As I am not prepared to see this I screamed like a little girl followed by some more explicit language that I can't say here.

What was it you ask, her tarantula, to a point. As I learned that day they shed their entire exoskeleton and it looks as real as they do.

Any a little sidetracked, back to original topic, KILL those darn black widows, do whatever it takes, call the national guard, heck, call in the army, marines, navy, air force and the national guard, eradicate those little buggers.

:wave:

Hehehe, I have blackmail information for the future :heh::heh: