Wickabee
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
"Active spiritual seeker - Spiritual but turned off by organized religion"

That's actually quite true of me.

habsheaven
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I got a 32. Apparently I am a:
http://www.beliefnet.com/imgs/x.gif
Spiritual Dabbler (http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/discussion_list.asp?boardID=758)-- Open to spiritual matters but far from impressed

shrewsbury
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
i couldn't finish it, too many questions i could not answer (choices were not good)

pghin08
06-15-2012, 04:02 PM
"Active spiritual seeker - Spiritual but turned off by organized religion"

That's actually quite true of me.

I was an Active spiritual seeker too, and I'd say that's spot on about me.

JustAlex
06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
LOL, I'm not surprised by my score:

27 Hardcore Skeptic -- but interested or you wouldn't be here!

shrewsbury
06-15-2012, 07:04 PM
ok veggie, habs, anyone, did you not find any of these questions hard to answer?

example would be this;

Q3. I believe the scripture I know best (the Bible, the Koran, etc.) is:
1. Mostly or entirely mythology
2. Divinely inspired and mostly true
3. Divinely written and accurate
4. Should be viewed mainly as storytelling or metaphor, not a literal account

theonedru
06-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Q1. I believe that God:
1. Exists and intervenes in daily events
2. Exists but does not intervene in daily events
3. Is a spiritual ideal, not an actual being
4. Does not exist

Are not 3 and 4 the same question..................

1 and 4 same question again......................

Apparently I scored a 40

Active Spiritual Seeker – Spiritual but turned off by organized religion

I think its in the ballpark. I am pretty spiritual but without religious influxes

habsheaven
06-17-2012, 07:09 AM
ok veggie, habs, anyone, did you not find any of these questions hard to answer?

example would be this;

Some were tough to decide. I chose 4 here on this question, 1 seemed a little too harsh.

11chaos
06-17-2012, 07:52 AM
There were some choices that didn't apply or could be worded differently but this is what my score was.
57 - Spiritual Straddler – One foot in traditional religion, one foot in free-form spirituality

Frantiic
06-17-2012, 10:46 AM
i never finished it.. to many questions i did not understand or the alternatives didnt match what i thought.

AUTaxMan
06-17-2012, 11:28 AM
88 but unhappy with a large portion of the choices.

JustAlex
06-17-2012, 03:12 PM

example would be this;

I was torn between 1 and 4.....but I couldn't lie to myself, I chose "1".

Although, I feel this question is very ironic.

As a Christian you might believe that the Bible is divinely inspired and/or mostly true.

But at the same time most Christians would think the Koran is fictional or not literal.

This is what always fascinates me, if a christian can truly believe the bible is 100% true or Mostly true, then he should also believe other Holy books have some if not the same amount of validity.

This is why I always say....."you can't have your cake and eat it too".

Here's another question which intrigued me.

Q12. Regarding those who hold beliefs that are sharply different from mine, I think:
1. It's amazing the sort of nonsense some people will believe
2. Since many people acquire their beliefs through upbringing or social circumstances, we should not judge
3. All beliefs are equally valid
4. They may be sincere but are mistaken or ill-informed

This question is VERY interesting......because I feel most christians would say that other beliefs (Such as Islam, Hiduism, etc.) are ridiculous.

After all, many American christians openly MOCK and criticize Islam.

And to me there is nothing more amusing than seeing a group of deluded people mock another equally group of deluded people.

AUTaxMan
06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
If a christian can truly believe the bible is 100% true or Mostly true, then he should also believe other Holy books have some if not the same amount of validity.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Christianity, by definition, is exclusive of all other religions.

I think most Christians would choose #4 on that latter question. At least most I know.

ALADOG
06-17-2012, 04:11 PM
I agree choices not good in some cases

JustAlex
06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
This doesn't make any sense to me. Christianity, by definition, is exclusive of all other religions.

Well, think about it, what's the difference the Bible and the Koran?

There isn't any difference....

They're exactly the same in terms of what they teach, they were both written in the same era, they both are contingent that their followers have faith, and they are both monotheistic.

Please explain how Christianity is exclusive of all other religions, I really want to know what makes it so special.

Although I feel like you're going to tell me that Christians are saved through grace not works.

If so.....please understand that Hitler might very well be in Heaven right now.

After all, ANY human that does a death bed confession and accepts Jesus will automatically go to heaven (Under these rules) no matter how terrible that person was.

texansrangerfan73
06-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Scored an 84 is that puts me as Confident Believer.

habsheaven
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Here's another question which intrigued me.

Q12. Regarding those who hold beliefs that are sharply different from mine, I think:
1. It's amazing the sort of nonsense some people will believe
2. Since many people acquire their beliefs through upbringing or social circumstances, we should not judge
3. All beliefs are equally valid
4. They may be sincere but are mistaken or ill-informed

This question is VERY interesting......because I feel most christians would say that other beliefs (Such as Islam, Hiduism, etc.) are ridiculous.

After all, many American christians openly MOCK and criticize Islam.

And to me there is nothing more amusing than seeing a group of deluded people mock another equally group of deluded people.

For this question I wanted to pick #2 but I kept thinking about the things some people believe and had to go with #1. Upbringing can only be an excuse for so long then you have to grow up.

AUTaxMan
06-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Completely wrong.

Please explain how Christianity is exclusive of all other religions, I really want to know what makes it so special.

It is exclusive, because it teaches that there is only one way to salvation.

Although I feel like you're going to tell me that Christians are saved through grace not works.

After all, ANY human that does a death bed confession and accepts Jesus will automatically go to heaven (Under these rules) no matter how terrible that person was.

Grace gives us the opportunity to be saved, but people are saved through faith. Only God can judge a man's heart. He also can forgive even the greatest of sins.

JustAlex
06-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Well, let's see....

Islam for example:

"According to the Qur'an, the basic criteria for salvation in afterlife is the belief in one God, Last Judgment, good deeds, and in all the messengers of God, as well as believing that Muhammad is the final prophet of God."

Now, you might say...."Well, there are several conditions to make it to heaven for Muslims....."

But, this is basically teaching that the ONLY way to get to heaven is through these conditions.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jannah

Besides, Christians have conditions as well....

#1 accept Jesus as your savior
#2 abide by the rules in the bible
#3 be a good Christian,
#4 "stay on the course" and DON'T sin!

So, where is the difference between Christianity and Islam?

They both seem exactly the same to me...

Grace gives us the opportunity to be saved, but people are saved through faith. Only God can judge a man's heart. He also can forgive even the greatest of sins.
OK, fine....

But, how is it fair that a man can sin for ALL his life and do horrific things (Murder, rape, lie, cheat, steal) and still make it to heaven if he truly repents minutes before he dies?

Where is the justice?

Meanwhile a good person who helps others, and lives a righteous life will go to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus?

How is this fair?

habsheaven
06-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Well, let's see....

Islam for example:

"According to the Qur'an, the basic criteria for salvation in afterlife is the belief in one God, Last Judgment, good deeds, and in all the messengers of God, as well as believing that Muhammad is the final prophet of God."

Now, you might say...."Well, there are several conditions to make it to heaven for Muslims....."

But, this is basically teaching that the ONLY way to get to heaven is through these conditions.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jannah

Besides, Christians have conditions as well....

#1 accept Jesus as your savior
#2 abide by the rules in the bible
#3 be a good Christian,
#4 "stay on the course" and DON'T sin!

So, where is the difference between Christianity and Islam?

They both seem exactly the same to me...

OK, fine....

But, how is it fair that a man can sin for ALL his life and do horrific things (Murder, rape, lie, cheat, steal) and still make it to heaven if he truly repents minutes before he dies?

Where is the justice?

Meanwhile a good person who helps others, and lives a righteous life will go to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus?

How is this fair?

It isn't fair or just, but it is a must for any religion to survive.

ALADOG
06-18-2012, 08:40 AM

They're exactly the same in terms of what they teach, they were both written in the same era, they both are contingent that their followers have faith, and they are both monotheistic.

The diference is Christianity believes in only the one true God of the Bible and the only way to salvationi s through Jesus. You cannot worship another god and be a Christian.

You shoould probably study a little more if you think therei s no difference between the Koran and the Bible. The first 5 books of the Old Testament are in both, but the similarities end there.

mrveggieman
06-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Completely wrong.

So tell me again how is christanity any different from islam or any other religion because all religions teach that their way is the only way to heaven and if you follow anything else you are going to be dammed to hell.

Star_Cards
06-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I answered it as best I could. Some questions lead me to give an answer of belief in a higher power. 25 questions was way too long. I almost gave up.

I got 37, but I don't agree with what they classified as.
Spiritual Dabbler -- Open to spiritual matters but far from impressed

mrveggieman
06-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Here is my score:

70 - 79 http://www.beliefnet.com/imgs/x.gif
Questioning Believer (http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/discussion_list.asp?boardID=762)– You have doubts about the particulars but not the Big Stuff

mrveggieman
06-18-2012, 10:09 AM

example would be this;

You are right I didn't really like all of the choices. For that question I chose 2. I belive that books such as the koran, bible, egyptian book of the dead all come from the same source and were divenly inspired but somewhere along the line there was some type of mistranslation or understanding hence why we have different religions.

Rockman
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
The diference is Christianity believes in only the one true God of the Bible and the only way to salvationi s through Jesus. You cannot worship another god and be a Christian.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam, same god whether you want to admit it or not.

I don't understand why it's so hard for some to concede that point.

ALADOG
06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
That point is conceded. However, only one acknowledeges the Messiah, Jesus Christ. It boils down to Jesus as the difference and the Holy Trinity.

JustAlex
06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
That point is conceded. However, only one acknowledeges the Messiah, Jesus Christ. It boils down to Jesus as the difference and the Holy Trinity.

Can you please explain the Holy Trinity....

Because the way I was taught is that God can be three different beings but in the end there is ONLY ONE God.

But wait a minute.......In the New Testament, Jesus PRAYS to GOD, he talks to him and he calls him his father, when he is dying in the cross he looks up to the heavens and says "FATHER, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing"

Please explain this^

How can Jesus be God and praying TO god.....that doesn't make sense!

ALADOG
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
FAITH You either have it or you don't. I choose to have it. I am old enough to know that you want to have your beliefs and I won't change your opinion. There is nothing I can do to change your mind. I usually try to avoid religious discussions like this due to the other participant not being open to a changing of thier opinion (and yes I am not really open to give up my faith) and it serves no purpose as nothing will be accoomplished. Have a good day.

AUTaxMan
06-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Can you please explain the Holy Trinity....

Because the way I was taught is that God can be three different beings but in the end there is ONLY ONE God.

But wait a minute.......In the New Testament, Jesus PRAYS to GOD, he talks to him and he calls him his father, when he is dying in the cross he looks up to the heavens and says "FATHER, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing"

Please explain this^

How can Jesus be God and praying TO god.....that doesn't make sense!

Actually, it is a very simple concept. If God is omnipotent, He can be three beings and one at the same time.

habsheaven
06-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Actually, it is a very simple concept. If God is omnipotent, He can be three beings and one at the same time.

So Jesus was talking to himself on the cross? Some would call that person crazy. Just sayin'.

mrveggieman
06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
FAITH You either have it or you don't. I choose to have it. I am old enough to know that you want to have your beliefs and I won't change your opinion. There is nothing I can do to change your mind. I usually try to avoid religious discussions like this due to the other participant not being open to a changing of thier opinion (and yes I am not really open to give up my faith) and it serves no purpose as nothing will be accoomplished. Have a good day.

I would like to think that all of us would be open to change if we were presented with the information. For example Alex was a christian at one point in his life but he did the research on his own and became an atheist. Another example is that some people were atheists at one point then became christians. As for me I have went back and forth between diffrent forms of christanity, islam and other religious ideas. Right now I attend a christian church but I always seeking truth regardless of where it comes from. That is the only way that one can learn and grow as a person.

*censored*
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Spiritual Dabbler.

Word.