PDA

View Full Version : Apple refused to sell Iranian-American woman an Ipad

mrveggieman
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow. I'm at a loss for words.

http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/2012/06/21/iranian-american-woman-says-apple-refused-to-sell-her-an-ipad/

AUTaxMan
06-23-2012, 10:41 AM
It's actually kind of an awkward situation, because if a company does business with any citizen or company on the prohibited list, then the Office of Foreign Asset Control can drop the hammer on them pretty heavily, and they could even face criminal sanctions. In fact, companies like Apple are (I think) required by law (or at least encouraged by regulation) to have a policy like that in place. I have actually had to deal with this professionally.

So on one hand, you want to prevent an illegal transaction from occurring so you don't face civil and criminal penalties. On the other, you can't check everyone's proof of citizenship when conducting sales. If you are a business owner, what do you do?

It is a very complicated issue. Of course, islamophobia left out the details on the legal side of things.

*censored*
06-24-2012, 02:48 PM
The key question to this has to be whether the transaction was stopped before it was known it was a gift for a cousin in Iran.

If it was before, she has a case for claiming racism.

If it was after, then Apple is just doing what it has to do legally.

Wickabee
06-24-2012, 03:14 PM
The key question to this has to be whether the transaction was stopped before it was known it was a gift for a cousin in Iran.

If it was before, she has a case for claiming racism.

If it was after, then Apple is just doing what it has to do legally.
Bingo.