PDA

View Full Version : Title IX

mrveggieman
06-25-2012, 07:58 AM
This past weekend was the 40th anniversary of Title IX. I am interested in getting the groups thoughts. Is Title IX good, bad or indefferent for sports, our society and gender roles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

theonedru
06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I think its a shame upon America the government actually had to introduce something like this. And how if they didn't we would still be in the dark ages when it came to matter that this represents.

mrveggieman
06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeah I was watching some doccumentries on espn about title IX over the weekend. I didn't realize how bad girls who wanted to play ball had it back in the day.

AUTaxMan
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Not a huge fan. Schools shouldn't have to fund sports teams that lose money just so the girls can have a team. I know that's only a part of it, but it is a significant part.

Star_Cards
06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
I get the concern about forcing schools to run programs that don't pay for themselves, but you can look at it another way as well. Schools offer all sorts of programs that don't make money that help make their schools more attractive to paying students. I'd bet that some students would rather spend their money going to a school that had less popular athletics in case they had interest in watching or participating in them. That goes for men's and women's alike even though we are speaking about Title IX.

I guess the bottom line is the more diverse of programs a university has, the more it sets itself apart from other competing universities. Not all programs are going to be as popular as football and basketball but it's still a benefit of the school to have the less popular men's and women's sports.

However, I do see the side of a business not being forced to run programs that don't pay for themselves as well.

AUTaxMan
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
I get the concern about forcing schools to run programs that don't pay for themselves, but you can look at it another way as well. Schools offer all sorts of programs that don't make money that help make their schools more attractive to paying students. I'd bet that some students would rather spend their money going to a school that had less popular athletics in case they had interest in watching or participating in them. That goes for men's and women's alike even though we are speaking about Title IX.

I guess the bottom line is the more diverse of programs a university has, the more it sets itself apart from other competing universities. Not all programs are going to be as popular as football and basketball but it's still a benefit of the school to have the less popular men's and women's sports.

However, I do see the side of a business not being forced to run programs that don't pay for themselves as well.

The school should have the option of choosing whether or not to have the programs. The government shouldn't make them do it. If the school determines that the cost is worth it, then they should have the right to choose.

duane1969
06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
There are certainly programs that would not survive without government regulation, but at the same time the are programs that are kept alive by the need to meet Title IX requirements and not because of interest in the program.

I know our two local high schools have girl's golf teams that consist of 3 or 4 players out of a combined student body of 1600 students. However, since there is an active boy's team they have to keep the girl's team funded.

mrveggieman
06-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Only a few college sports make money. They are usually mens basketball and college football. Occasionaly baseball or the basketball programs at uconn or tennesse will make money. Title IX is a neccessary evil. If not there wouldn't be any opportunities for girls to play sports because most schools would cut the programs because they are not making them any money.

AUTaxMan
06-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Only a few college sports make money. They are usually mens basketball and college football. Occasionaly baseball or the basketball programs at uconn or tennesse will make money. Title IX is a neccessary evil. If not there wouldn't be any opportunities for girls to play sports because most schools would cut the programs because they are not making them any money.

So playing college and high school sports is the only way girls have the opportunity to play sports?

sobersoul
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Women's sports (and Men's sports) helps retention and attendance at every D-3, D-3, NAIA school in the country. Every one of those schools is making money off of the students that participate in those sports from tuition alone. So Mr. AutoTaxMan you are wrong to think that these schools aren't making money off of the Women's teams, because they are... a lot of it.

Star_Cards
06-26-2012, 12:21 PM
The school should have the option of choosing whether or not to have the programs. The government shouldn't make them do it. If the school determines that the cost is worth it, then they should have the right to choose.

If it's a completely private school I see where that should be the case.

Star_Cards
06-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Women's sports (and Men's sports) helps retention and attendance at every D-3, D-3, NAIA school in the country. Every one of those schools is making money off of the students that participate in those sports from tuition alone. So Mr. AutoTaxMan you are wrong to think that these schools aren't making money off of the Women's teams, because they are... a lot of it.

this is a great point and the one that I also made. While a program may not directly send a profit to a college they do help increase the number of students that come through the doors. There are probably many programs that a college or university run that don't directly make a profit. it's more about providing programs for their students who are paying to attend.

I still see the issue with governments making a university offer a program if they don't want to.

AUTaxMan
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm pretty sure that schools lose money on tuition.

ALADOG
06-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Worst ever. It has singlehandedly cut out thousands who would like to play sports and has limited the USA sports competitively worldwide.

mrveggieman
06-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I am surprised that I am hearing some of the negative feedback about title IX on here. We are all here because we love sports and a lot of us love women too so what's not to love about watching women play sports?

AUTaxMan
06-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I am a conservative. This is just part of my war against women.

Aikman_TheGreat
06-30-2012, 03:03 AM
My buddy lost his golf scholarship because the college he was going to had to drop the golf program due to title 9. Women are allowed to play football though....

In high school we had a girl that played football, so I asked the volley ball coach if I could play on the volley ball team and she said no.....seems sexist to me.

tpeichel
06-30-2012, 11:11 AM
My college dropped a few men's sports to equal out the number of women's sports offered. (They were already reaching with having a women's badminton team.)