PDA

View Full Version : I guess that just means more Oreos for the rest of us.

*censored*
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/how-could-you-boycott-a-cookie

How many of the commenters do you suppose are so far in the closet that they just found the gateway to Narnia?

ildd
06-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Eh, i didn't like Oreos anyways. But if my opinion matters, I think what they did was just in general a bad idea. Are they really going to sell that, considering its like eating 7 oreos at 1 time?

*censored*
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
It's not an actual product. Just showing support.

That being said, I'd buy it if it was. I once made an Oreo with the filling of 10 Double Stuf ones. Just because I could.

pghin08
06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
It's sad some people can be like that. I don't have that much hate in my heart.

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
"Love thy neighbour...unless you disagree with them. Then tell the world you want to smash their skulls with a hammer..."

mrveggieman
06-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Can we just boycott all hate mongerors and religious extremists?

habsheaven
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
The world is full of people with mis-guided beliefs. I pity them.

duwal
06-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I love that the article posts up the name and picture of those that made the horrible comments. Sadly I think some members that are on here would probably say similar things if they had the forum to

JustAlex
06-27-2012, 05:53 PM
LOVE Oreos, it really is the best cookie with milk, and I completely support them in their tolerance/acceptance of gay people.

Too bad it's 2012 but the fundies want to live in 1712.....it truly is amazing and sad.

duwal
06-27-2012, 06:34 PM
LOVE Oreos, it really is the best cookie with milk, and I completely support them in their tolerance/acceptance of gay people.

Too bad it's 2012 but the fundies want to live in 1712.....it truly is amazing and sad.

Oreo's are by far my least favorite cookie but I applaud their support even through any backlash

theonedru
06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
There are those I do not get along with and those with beliefs I do not support but I really do not hate anyone. I support the Oreo campaign even though I do not eat their products.

Along the same note, It was pride week here in Seattle and they held a huge parade and celebration,my question is this; During these economic downtime why throw away hundreds of thousands of $'s on such a petty thing? Not that I do not support it, but that $ could have went to a better cause and the LGBT community here could have made a much better impact by donating that $ to local charities... And this goes for any parade or public celebration, esp those paid for by a city, state or some government funding......

cardmasters
06-27-2012, 07:49 PM
I feel sorry for them. Jesus did not just teach to love your neighbor, but to love your enemies. And to make sure there is no confusion, I don't think gay people are enemies.

duwal
06-27-2012, 07:49 PM
There are those I do not get along with and those with beliefs I do not support but I really do not hate anyone. I support the Oreo campaign even though I do not eat their products.

Along the same note, It was pride week here in Seattle and they held a huge parade and celebration,my question is this; During these economic downtime why throw away hundreds of thousands of $'s on such a petty thing? Not that I do not support it, but that $ could have went to a better cause and the LGBT community here could have made a much better impact by donating that $ to local charities... And this goes for any parade or public celebration, esp those paid for by a city, state or some government funding......

majority of people can say the same thing to a lot of us that have spent thousands of dollars on boxes/cases of cards. They would say 'well wouldn't you feel better donating that to some charity or community program?' Sometimes its just worth it to just have fun and enjoy life, have a reason to smile even with it being tough times for others

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 07:51 PM

How about July 4th? Are you saying there shouldn't be any sort of celebrations because of the economy? Even soldiers in war zones get a show once in awhile. Morale is important, even when talking about the general populace. Yes, celebrations look wasteful in times like these, and some definitely are, but they also give people a distraction for a little while so they can relax and recoup a little. Not to mention that social causes, such as LGBT, don't go on hold because of the economy.

Now, I'm not saying I totally disagree with you. At the same time, though, I don't think celebrations/parades/etc, are entirely wasteful.

duwal
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/282350_483848251644633_531466706_n.jpg

boba
06-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I am less likely to buy oreos now. Just like you all would be less likely to buy them if they posted something about one man and one woman.

*censored*
06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I am less likely to buy oreos now. Just like you all would be less likely to buy them if they posted something about one man and one woman.

Nope. I'd still buy them either way.

duwal
06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

someone has to really have a sad, pathetic life if they base what they would purchase on the type of social statement the company makes....it's cookies.....

duwal
06-27-2012, 09:12 PM

so are you in the same group or agreement as those that were leaving the comments in the original posters link?

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
That's a pretty bold statement. Until they started supporting the KKK or some such group, it doesn't affect my purchasing their product one bit.

Anyone who does allow it to affect them should really take a look at their priorities.

boba
06-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with spending your money on companies that you agree with, and not spending your money on companies you don't. Sorry if that makes you angry.

It's actually a pretty simple concept, not really bold at all.

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with spending your money on companies that you agree with, and not spending your money on companies you don't. Sorry if that makes you angry.

The bold part was trying to tell me (and everyone else) what would get me to stop buying Oreos. If they came out and said "we do not support Gay rights" (remember, this was a Pride thing, not a marriage thing) it wouldn't affect my purchase whatsoever. Just don't pretend you know me, or anyone else you've never met.

duwal
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM

it does seem like quite a head scratcher. That you would give up a product, even if it was your favorite food or some other product just because you don't like that they are a supporter. You're only hurting yourself by denying something you like. Would you stop watching football if they supported the gay community?

habsheaven
06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
These things remind me of an old WKRP episode when a group decided to boycott the radio station because they refused to stop playing John Lennon's "Imagine". As a 10 year old I KNEW that was WRONG. Funny thing is, I thought such ignorance would be gone by the time I reached adulthood. Guess not.

boba
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
The bold part was trying to tell me (and everyone else) what would get me to stop buying Oreos. If they came out and said "we do not support Gay rights" (remember, this was a Pride thing, not a marriage thing) it wouldn't affect my purchase whatsoever. Just don't pretend you know me, or anyone else you've never met.

I'll try to not make such bold statements in the future (Come on man).

it does seem like quite a head scratcher. That you would give up a product, even if it was your favorite food or some other product just because you don't like that they are a supporter. You're only hurting yourself by denying something you like. Would you stop watching football if they supported the gay community?

Probably, I would rather support a company that I agree with.

I won't be able to respond for a couple of hours, so go at me guys haha.

I'm headed of to church, I know "Oh the horror, we might start a war or something" :heh:

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 09:59 PM
These things remind me of an old WKRP episode when a group decided to boycott the radio station because they refused to stop playing John Lennon's "Imagine". As a 10 year old I KNEW that was WRONG. Funny thing is, I thought such ignorance would be gone by the time I reached adulthood. Guess not.
AWESOME episode of an even better show.

I'll try to not make such bold statements in the future (Come on man).

Just don't tell me how I think or what I will do in the future. I do take offense to people telling others what their motives are, especially when those people don't even know the others' name and age, never mind thoughts and feelings. It's presumptuous and you know it...come on, man!

habsheaven
06-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Oh great. He's headed to church on a Wednesday night so he can get further affirmation of his beliefs.

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm headed of to church, I know "Oh the horror, we might start a war or something" :heh:
:rolleyes: and there you go again...

pghin08
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Easy with the personal stuff guys, I'm letting some people off for now, but it ends here.

Now talk about Oreos and how delicious they are.

boba
06-27-2012, 11:56 PM
AWESOME episode of an even better show.

Just don't tell me how I think or what I will do in the future. I do take offense to people telling others what their motives are, especially when those people don't even know the others' name and age, never mind thoughts and feelings. It's presumptuous and you know it...come on, man!

I'm sorry?

Oh great. He's headed to church on a Wednesday night so he can get further affirmation of his beliefs.

Yep, thats a reason why I love going.

Wickabee
06-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Don't be sorry? Just don't talk to me like you know me?

mrveggieman
06-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Are oreo cookies vegan? Are heard different stories both ways no pun intended.

Star_Cards
06-28-2012, 06:21 PM

I'd probably buy them either way but I only buy 1 box a year. You may have a point about their views the other way potentially effecting me to avoid their product.

It's sad that so many people have so much hate over something that has zero bearing on their own personal sexual practices.

duane1969
06-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I didn't even bother reading the 5 pages of discussion about this. I have one simple thought/comment.

When being politcally correct has become so important that we need gay pride cookies, the end of the world is near.

Wickabee
06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Close. It's actually:
When people get this worked up over a cookie, the end is near.

I also have to wonder if any of the people who are now boycotting Oreo have ever eaten Rainbow Chips Ahoy.

boba
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I'd probably buy them either way but I only buy 1 box a year. You may have a point about their views the other way potentially effecting me to avoid their product.

It's sad that so many people have so much hate over something that has zero bearing on their own personal sexual practices.

I'm not boycotting them or anything, I'm just saying if there was 2 options and I knew one openly supports something I don't, I would be more likely to buy the other choice.

magic_bobcat
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
I may actually go buy some Oreos tomorrow because of this.

Star_Cards
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I didn't even bother reading the 5 pages of discussion about this. I have one simple thought/comment.

When being politcally correct has become so important that we need gay pride cookies, the end of the world is near.

why classify it as politically correctness. that makes it sound like they are doing this to help sales or something when they are more than likely doing it to support a cause that they believe it. last time I checked being pro homosexuality wasn't the most popular stance to take over not commenting on the issue at all for a company.

Star_Cards
06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm not boycotting them or anything, I'm just saying if there was 2 options and I knew one openly supports something I don't, I would be more likely to buy the other choice.

that comment was directly at you. it was more towards the comments of hate that I read in response to this photo on their facebook page.

I definitely get people supporting companies that have the same views and not supporting the ones that differ and are important to them.

ReimerFan
06-28-2012, 11:41 PM
So much hate. Maybe one day they'll figure out how much wasted energy they're spending hating when they could be putting it to good use.

sublime420
06-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Oreos aren't very popular in the south (so i've heard) , so it doesn't matter anyway.

Zimbow
06-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Dang, some of those people that left facebook comments are blunt. Glad I don't use facebook much anymore. All that talk about Oreos, I may just go snag some.

BigBerserker
06-29-2012, 05:43 AM
I used to love Oreo's until one day I participated in an Oreo eating contest. Eat as many Oreo's as fast as you can without drinks......it wasn't until Oreo number 5 that I realized the minty flavor was from the icing which had been swapped out for toothpaste :X

I miss living in the dorms sometimes.

*censored*
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Read this elsewhere.

"To those wanting to boycott Oreos because of their gay friendly post: You will have to give up your Mac or computer with Microsoft Windows to spew your hate. You also shouldn't be on Facebook. Don't watch any Disney movies, or plan to visit their parks, or buy their toys. don't drink any Starbucks coffee, eat any General Mills cereals, or drive any Ford vehicles. Don't shop at Gap or Target or JC Penney, or any other of a number of stores. In fact, it's probably best to not buy anything or use anything ever made because gay people are great in number and work at virtually every company you can think of. So stay home, don't watch TV, just stay out of society so we don't have to deal with your hateful ways."

pghin08
06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
I used to love Oreo's until one day I participated in an Oreo eating contest. Eat as many Oreo's as fast as you can without drinks......it wasn't until Oreo number 5 that I realized the minty flavor was from the icing which had been swapped out for toothpaste :X

Oh MAN that is a great prank.

Star_Cards
06-29-2012, 12:48 PM

that's hilarious. did you win? :)

duane1969
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
why classify it as politically correctness. that makes it sound like they are doing this to help sales or something when they are more than likely doing it to support a cause that they believe it. last time I checked being pro homosexuality wasn't the most popular stance to take over not commenting on the issue at all for a company.

Gay, bi, straight, transgender...they all have nothing to do with cookies. When a cookie company feels the need to make a grand statement of support about someone's sexual lifestyle, it isn't about morals or values, it is about being politically correct.

Wickabee
06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Gay, bi, straight, transgender...they all have nothing to do with cookies. When a cookie company feels the need to make a grand statement of support about someone's sexual lifestyle, it isn't about morals or values, it is about being politically correct.
It would be just as politically correct of them to say nothing...

duane1969
06-29-2012, 01:14 PM
It would be just as politically correct of them to say nothing...

How so? I don't understand how staying out of the middle of a political issue is being politically correct.

mrveggieman
06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Read this elsewhere.

"To those wanting to boycott Oreos because of their gay friendly post: You will have to give up your Mac or computer with Microsoft Windows to spew your hate. You also shouldn't be on Facebook. Don't watch any Disney movies, or plan to visit their parks, or buy their toys. don't drink any Starbucks coffee, eat any General Mills cereals, or drive any Ford vehicles. Don't shop at Gap or Target or JC Penney, or any other of a number of stores. In fact, it's probably best to not buy anything or use anything ever made because gay people are great in number and work at virtually every company you can think of. So stay home, don't watch TV, just stay out of society so we don't have to deal with your hateful ways."

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

ensbergcollector
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
i honestly don't need my computer maker, cookie maker, food producer, or car manufacturer speaking out on political issues. that goes for whether they agree with me or not. i never understood companies that employ thousands of people speaking out on political issues on behalf of the entire company.
again, this is not a knock on oreo. i would say the same for any company speaking out on either side of the aisle.

mrveggieman
06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
i honestly don't need my computer maker, cookie maker, food producer, or car manufacturer speaking out on political issues. that goes for whether they agree with me or not. i never understood companies that employ thousands of people speaking out on political issues on behalf of the entire company.
again, this is not a knock on oreo. i would say the same for any company speaking out on either side of the aisle.

So you shouldn't want chick fil a speaking out on anything either? You just want them to shut up and serve you a chicken sandwich. Got ya. :thumb:

ensbergcollector
06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
So you shouldn't want chick fil a speaking out on anything either? You just want them to shut up and serve you a chicken sandwich. Got ya. :thumb:

wow, feeling a little antagonistic today? or have you just missed trying to rile me up?

im sorry, at the end of the day i stand by my statement. i could really care less if you believe me or not since that has no effect on my statement being fact.

Wickabee
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't care either way. If they want to make a statement good for them. If they don't so be it.

Who
Cares
It's
A
Cookie

mrveggieman
06-29-2012, 01:45 PM
wow, feeling a little antagonistic today? or have you just missed trying to rile me up?

im sorry, at the end of the day i stand by my statement. i could really care less if you believe me or not since that has no effect on my statement being fact.

You know that you missed me when I was gone. :D:

ensbergcollector
06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
You know that you missed me when I was gone. :D:

nope, this just reminded me why i had disappeared.

duane1969
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM

I find it quite irritating when it is Sunday and I am craving a ChickFilA sandwich and can't get one. I often wonder if the people who own ChickFilA stay home on Sunday or if they go out to eat. If they go out to eat, I would find it highly hypoctitical.

I also find it highly irritating that all CD's that you purchase from WalMart are the edited version. As an adult I think I am intelligent enough to decide if I want the full or edited version. The Walton family values should not impact my shopping options.

Wickabee
06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
How so? I don't understand how staying out of the middle of a political issue is being politically correct.
If they came out and made a public statement saying, "We don't support either side of issue X" then you'd be correct. It is perfectly PC to not get involved.

mrveggieman
06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I find it quite irritating when it is Sunday and I am craving a ChickFilA sandwich and can't get one. I often wonder if the people who own ChickFilA stay home on Sunday or if they go out to eat. If they go out to eat, I would find it highly hypoctitical.

I also find it highly irritating that all CD's that you purchase from WalMart are the edited version. As an adult I think I am intelligent enough to decide if I want the full or edited version. The Walton family values should not impact my shopping options.

Even though I don't eat chicken I'm going to give you some for that.

CHURCH! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

boba
06-29-2012, 09:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsJHqstPuNo

magic_bobcat
06-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Personally I feel it is important for these issues to be discussed, so whether they are raised by international corporations or dave at the video store I couldn't care less. In fact I think it is probably better that its raised by companies/pop stars/actors etc because they have the ability to reach millions of people in one blow. Imagine that it was just a politician who wore a rainbow t-shirt, we would not be having this debate. And it is the debate that is more important because you realise where you truly stand when it comes time to vote on an issue. Otherwise there would be millions of people who would either abstain from voting or vote blind and this is far more dangerous.

Imagine for a second that this is the 1950s and Oreos were all white in design. Then one day they decide to make them black and white to show support for the Civil Rights movement, people who still of had, and have, a problem with it but think about how much better society is because blacks and whites are equal. IF they had made this stand 60 years ago, Oreos would by praised today. So maybe in 50 years they will be praised for this. Or is it truly that its for Gay Rights?

Because lets look at it, this is a sports card forum so people here like (American I'm guessing) sports. So what about the NBA supporting Latino Heritage with Noche Latina? Political. The NFL with Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Political. NHL Green? Political. Jackie Robinson's league wide jersey retired meant in MLB? Political. Are we going to bash any of these organisations for taking this stances?