PDA

View Full Version : Rape survivor can sue jail guard for denying contraception

mrveggieman
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I hope that this woman not only gets paid from the state but also sues the guard personally and takes her to the cleaners. Even thought I am 100% against abortion the guard was an agent of the state and had no right to interject her religious beliefs while doing the states bidding. Since this guard wants to hide behind her religious beliefs she should have been required to pay child support for this baby if the survivor would have became pregnant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/woman-can-sue-over-denied-contraception_n_1631551.html

Joncamburn
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM
It says at the end of the story that RW did NOT get pregnant, so I am not sure what you mean by you hope the guard has to pay child support..........

mrveggieman
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
It says at the end of the story that RW did NOT get pregnant, so I am not sure what you mean by you hope the guard has to pay child support..........

You are right. I should have said that if this woman became pregnant. I will edit.

sublime420
06-28-2012, 11:07 PM
She could still sue..

Star_Cards
06-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I think the guard should be reprimanded even though the woman didn't get pregnant. She has no right to force her religious views on any prisoner. The fact that she had legally obtained the pills gave the guard zero right to not give her the pill. If performing her duties and interacting with prisoners of different religious beliefs goes against her religious beliefs then she should find employment elsewhere.

I will say that I'm not sure that the woman should have much, if any, financial gain from this lawsuit. In my opinion it would be more about not allowing this guard or any guard refusing something to a prisoner, that they have a right to, based on the guards religious or personal beliefs.

mrveggieman
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I think the guard should be reprimanded even though the woman didn't get pregnant. She has no right to force her religious views on any prisoner. The fact that she had legally obtained the pills gave the guard zero right to not give her the pill. If performing her duties and interacting with prisoners of different religious beliefs goes against her religious beliefs then she should find employment elsewhere.

I will say that I'm not sure that the woman should have much, if any, financial gain from this lawsuit. In my opinion it would be more about not allowing this guard or any guard refusing something to a prisoner, that they have a right to, based on the guards religious or personal beliefs.

The guard not violated the prisoner's civil rights by forcing her religion on her but she also violated the law. The guard as well as the prison should be made an example out of and she should get everything that she can get.

Star_Cards
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
The guard not violated the prisoner's civil rights by forcing her religion on her but she also violated the law. The guard as well as the prison should be made an example out of and she should get everything that she can get.

I agree that the guard and the jail should be made an example out of, but I really don't see any reason for the prisoner to get any sort of huge payday. I agree that yes had she become pregnant because of the lack of the second pill that she would then have a case, but I'm not sure what the prisoner needs to be financially paid for? I could see something, but nothing huge as she wasn't caused any sort of financial loss due to not receiving the pill. To me it's more about keeping this from happening agains and punishing the guard for violating the prisoner's rights in not giving her the pill.

question for you? if you can put yourself in her situation what would you be looking for financially from this lawsuit?

mrveggieman
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I agree that the guard and the jail should be made an example out of, but I really don't see any reason for the prisoner to get any sort of huge payday. I agree that yes had she become pregnant because of the lack of the second pill that she would then have a case, but I'm not sure what the prisoner needs to be financially paid for? I could see something, but nothing huge as she wasn't caused any sort of financial loss due to not receiving the pill. To me it's more about keeping this from happening agains and punishing the guard for violating the prisoner's rights in not giving her the pill.

question for you? if you can put yourself in her situation what would you be looking for financially from this lawsuit?

As much as I could possibly get. :thumb:

Wickabee
06-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Punitive damages. Pain and suffereing. Mental anguish. Etc. Etc.

duane1969
06-29-2012, 12:11 PM
The officer should be reprimanded and possibly even fired, but I don't see grounds for a lawsuit. Our society is loaded with people who litigate over everything and anything that they can. To win a lawsuit you have to prove damages, since she didn't get prgnant she suffered no damages, so a lawsuit would just be a waste of the court's time.

Furthetmore, RW was in jail because of her own actions. Had she been more responsible then she would not have had a warrant out on her and the issue would have never occured. People need to learn what the words "responsible for your own actions" means. She bears part of the responsibility for the entire incident.

EDIT: I forgot to add that since she didn't have a prescription for the pill then she probably doesn't have a leg to stand on. Law enforcement are only required to administer prescribed meds.

Wickabee
06-29-2012, 12:40 PM
The officer should be reprimanded and possibly even fired, but I don't see grounds for a lawsuit. Our society is loaded with people who litigate over everything and anything that they can. To win a lawsuit you have to prove damages, since she didn't get prgnant she suffered no damages, so a lawsuit would just be a waste of the court's time.

Furthetmore, RW was in jail because of her own actions. Had she been more responsible then she would not have had a warrant out on her and the issue would have never occured. People need to learn what the words "responsible for your own actions" means. She bears part of the responsibility for the entire incident.

EDIT: I forgot to add that since she didn't have a prescription for the pill then she probably doesn't have a leg to stand on. Law enforcement are only required to administer prescribed meds.
I agree. But if I were going to sue, those would be the words I would use.