PDA

View Full Version : Couch to 5k Challenge

scottkoz20
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
For those that know me, something I usually have never talked about is the fact that I am extremely out of shape and overweight. I am personally tired of it and plan on doing something about it.

Thus, I'm taking the Couch to 5k challenge. For those that do not know what this is, please check out this link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am not starting my training until Monday (7/2) as I purchased new shoes and I want to plan out some routes this week/weekend and walk them first.

In a nutshell, if you are interested in running a 5k, please join the Couch to 5k group!

Thanks for reading,
Scott

Oxxon
06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
They would have to time me with a calendar.

Mike13198
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Good luck and ^^^LOL

scottkoz20
06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
They would have to time me with a calendar.

all I can offer is a sundial! :football:

angel0430
06-28-2012, 02:28 PM
I have been running for a while and had done multiple 5k races. I am not the fastest runner but I like it when I see seconds and sometimes minutes come off the final time. Make sure that you buy shoes specifically for you. You can go to a running specialty store and they will see you walking and determine the shoes that you need by the type of foot and all that. Get some magazines, there is really good guidance on those. And most of all keep motivated. It is going to suck at the beginning and it is going to hurt. This is where your mind comes into play. DO NOT let your mind take control of your body. Keep your progress posted. I am doing a 5k race this weekend. Also nutrition and hydration plays a huge role. Make sure you eat right and the right amount.

This are my last 3 races:

5k on 3/10/2012 - 29:58
4.4 mile race on 5/28/2012 - 49:16
5k race on 6/2/2012 - 28:59

scottkoz20
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
I have been running for a while and had done multiple 5k races. I am not the fastest runner but I like it when I see seconds and sometimes minutes come off the final time. Make sure that you buy shoes specifically for you. You can go to a running specialty store and they will see you walking and determine the shoes that you need by the type of foot and all that. Get some magazines, there is really good guidance on those. And most of all keep motivated. It is going to suck at the beginning and it is going to hurt. This is where your mind comes into play. DO NOT let your mind take control of your body. Keep your progress posted. I am doing a 5k race this weekend. Also nutrition and hydration plays a huge role. Make sure you eat right and the right amount.

This are my last 3 races:

5k on 3/10/2012 - 29:58
4.4 mile race on 5/28/2012 - 49:16
5k race on 6/2/2012 - 28:59

the wife and I hit one of the local running stores in Buffalo and I was amazed about the amount of time they took with us to measure our feet and talk to us about getting started.

I'm planning on walking out a route in the neighborhood tonight partly to get use to the shoes.

The hurt is what scares me the most. Not the actual hurting, but getting past it! If I can get past that, then I think it will be OK. I'd be targeting Thanksgiving Day for a 5k (Buffalo's Turkey Trot)... just hope its not snowing that day :)

angel0430
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
You got it all figure out. Having a plan in place is good because it is easier to follow it than to just start running out of nowhere. FIghting the pain is the most difficult part. I have been there and sometimes I have a hard time getting through it. You have plenty of time to get ready for that race. Go at your own pace. I have a GPS watch that keeps track of distance, pace, heart rate, calories burned and also keeps track of your route. My best friend lives in Buffalo and he just pick up running some months ago. Running with people is very beneficial becuase you do not want to quit in front of them and they will not let you quit.

angel0430
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.active.com/

This is the main palce that I use to read about running, races, etc

scottkoz20
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
I do want to get into a group, but I want to at least get through some of the initial pain with my wife.

by, how much did the GPS watch set you back?

angel0430
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I do want to get into a group, but I want to at least get through some of the initial pain with my wife.

by, how much did the GPS watch set you back?

I have a Garmin 205 and I paid $90 for it but they went up...you can fidn one between $150-$500. My friend has the Nike one and he loves it. It comes with online training guides and maps and all that. I got mine from Amazon

angel0430
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Sports-Watch/dp/B000CSQJ8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340910471&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+205

This is the one I have...in the middle of the page are other models.The round ones are the newest and lighter models, some of them are waterproof (mine is not). Mine can take some light water like rain but that's it. The red square one is the same as mine but it comes with integrated HR monitor and the other one is the Nike

andrewhoya
06-29-2012, 06:05 AM
As my dad told me... If you are feeling tired and want to stop, you can feel tired after the run/race!

angel0430
06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
As my dad told me... If you are feeling tired and want to stop, you can feel tired after the run/race!

That is so true...also, "If it doesn't hurt, you are doing it wrong"

magic_bobcat
06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
The only advice I can offer is music. Listening to music helps the miles add up.

I had never really run before. But around May last year I decided to take it up. I did a 10k in July at 1hr 5minutes and then my friend and I were joking around and signed up for the Cardiff Half Marathon in October. Well I managed it. Took me 2hrs 15 (I got blisters on BOTH feet that day, so watch out for them!) But if it wasn't for music I wouldn't of been able to get through training let alone the race itself.

I picked myself up a cheap iPod touch on eBay (the screen was broke but works perfectly so didn't bother me) and used the Nike+ app on it. I found it really useful because your running along to music (choose a decent BPM though, no slow jams) and it will tell you every so often 1k completed, 2k, half way etc. Plus at the end of the race you can see your average speeds etc. And when you go further or faster you get messages from famous athletes which I thought was a nice touch as I was bent over gasping for breath.

Ive been in a running rut since then though because I'm not signed up for any races. They definitely motivate you.

Good luck though dude!

angel0430
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
MUsic is awesome but I would recommend and Ipod Shuffle....it is lighter than the Touch...at least for long runs

magic_bobcat
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
MUsic is awesome but I would recommend and Ipod Shuffle....it is lighter than the Touch...at least for long runs

Yeah if its in a pocket its horrible, but I got one of those arm things so I could skip tracks so easy. I found the weight was unnoticeable after a while.

Joncamburn
06-29-2012, 02:00 PM
I have been running for a long time, and this is just my 2 cents on shoes.......I have gone and bought the $80 to $120 shoes at the speciality stores with the exception of this year, my friend who is a track coach did a ton of research and found that minimalistic running actually helps your joints, long story short, if you buy cheap shoes with out much cushioning, it is actually better in the long run, if you have a running issue like a high arch or something like that, and you buy shoes that are taylored to that problem, it doesn't help fix the problem, it ends up making it worse. I usually get shin splints or other problems running, but I haven't at all this year trying this new approach.

I hope part of this is helpful to you, and good luck! Starting the routine is always the hardest part!

scottkoz20
06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
help me to understand what you mean by "minimalistic running" as I'm not sure if you are talking about time, distance or both?

angel0430
06-29-2012, 02:36 PM
help me to understand what you mean by "minimalistic running" as I'm not sure if you are talking about time, distance or both?

Minimalist shoes are the ones with a very thin sole. Like for example, the Vibram 5 fingers, although there are some other with a little more protection. Using this method, will teach your body the proper way to alnd on your feet, thus preventing more injury and at the same time making your muscles and everything in your legs stronger. I do not recommend going straight to this shoes. I would start with some cushioning and then moving to less cushioning. You need to transition to those shoes.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/wellbeing/guides/experts-picks-best-minimalist-running-shoes.php

Here are some different types of minimal shoes. I have #5 on that list although I do not use them for racing. I use them 1-2 times a week for shorter runs.

boxbreaker88
06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
good job to everyone running

one of my favorite hobbies
I ran cross country for my school this past year and lets just say I improved my time 9:00 minutes.

I ran a 24:45 5 k and now run 3 miles every week and am running in a race soon during this summer

running is one of the best hobbies out there and being a baseball player I love it

angel0430
07-02-2012, 08:11 AM
good job to everyone running

one of my favorite hobbies
I ran cross country for my school this past year and lets just say I improved my time 9:00 minutes.

I ran a 24:45 5 k and now run 3 miles every week and am running in a race soon during this summer

running is one of the best hobbies out there and being a baseball player I love it

That is pretty fast pace for a 5k...I just did one this past saturday adn I was very dissapointed. I did 31:54...I was doing great up until mile 2 and then I hit the wall. I am doing another this saturday and hopefully I am going to be ready.

scottkoz20
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
I start my training tonight afterwork... I'm a bit nervous, but I realize that this is not going to happen overnight and might be several months before I can be ready for anything. I'm hoping that Thanksgiving is good target.

patriotsguy
07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
GL to you Scott!

angel0430
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Scott, Thanksgiving is a great target date and you are going to be ready for it. I am going to keep checking up on you and giving you advice and motivation.

scottkoz20
07-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks Angel!

Well... I did 7 1 minute jogs tonight during my run/walk.... Its a start, right?

Just used runningmap to measure, it was 1.25 miles

magic_bobcat
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks Angel!

Well... I did 7 1 minute jogs tonight during my run/walk.... Its a start, right?

Well done dude. Thats a great start. Soon it'll be 2 minute runs, then 3, then you won't be stopping.

Did you use our music advise? Are you doing this alone?

Great start dude, keep it up.

scottkoz20
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Well done dude. Thats a great start. Soon it'll be 2 minute runs, then 3, then you won't be stopping.

Did you use our music advise? Are you doing this alone?

Great start dude, keep it up.

I need to do some more research before I make a purchase on a music device... I might start with a cheapie something to tide my over.

1of23
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Just found this thread! I have been running for 6 weeks now

Tomorrow I have
5 minute jog
3 minute walk
5 minute jog
3 minute walk
5 minute jog

then at the end of this week I have a 20 minute jog

scottkoz20
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
how has the build up been for you to this point?

1of23
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
It actually wasn't that tough once I got going. But recently I have had horribly cramps in my ribs. But thats just me.

angel0430
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
It actually wasn't that tough once I got going. But recently I have had horribly cramps in my ribs. But thats just me.

Could be hydration. Drink a lot of water or Gatorade before, during and after the run to replace the lost sodium and electrolytes. Keep it up.

angel0430
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I need to do some more research before I make a purchase on a music device... I might start with a cheapie something to tide my over.

You can find a cheap IPod shuffle. It is light, cheap and very easy to control.

angel0430
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Angel!

Just used runningmap to measure, it was 1.25 miles

That is awesome. You are just in the building stage. If you have a smart phone there is an app called MapMyRun that will give you distance, pace and a little map of the route that you can save anc ompare later. Great app. This way you don't need to buy a GPS watch. Kepp it up and keep posting your progres. Good Job!!!

magic_bobcat
07-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Ive had cramps before when running. I read Men's Running (UK magazine) and they have said if this happens do breath out hard when one foot hits the floor. Ie if the stitch is on the right hand side, breath in when your left foot hits the floor and out hard when the right hits the floor.

*censored*
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I started doing this as well with my wife. Right now, we plan to try to do a 5K in September. She's walked it before, we want to try to be able to jog most of it. We also want to do a mini-triathlon in a year.

Started yesterday with a 60 jog/90 walk like the link recommends at a trail around a retention pond near our house. We couldn't quite get to 20 minutes , but we did 5 of the 60/90's (basically 13 minutes) for a total of two laps around the pond. Better than nothing at least. We'll both do it again tomorrow, but at our gyms instead. We'll probably go outside again on Sunday.

magic_bobcat
07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I started doing this as well with my wife. Right now, we plan to try to do a 5K in September. She's walked it before, we want to try to be able to jog most of it. We also want to do a mini-triathlon in a year.

Started yesterday with a 60 jog/90 walk like the link recommends at a trail around a retention pond near our house. We couldn't quite get to 20 minutes , but we did 5 of the 60/90's (basically 13 minutes) for a total of two laps around the pond. Better than nothing at least. We'll both do it again tomorrow, but at our gyms instead. We'll probably go outside again on Sunday.

Good luck.

scottkoz20
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Attempted to run yesterday and about 30 secs in I felt a horrid pain in my right ankle (which has been an issue since college). Still managed a 30 min, 1.8 mile walk, but I think it will be longer than I hoped to run.

1of23
07-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I have not ran the past 2 weeks due to work and traveling . Im starting back next week worried its gonna be harder

*censored*
07-12-2012, 09:01 AM
My attempt has ended about as quickly as it started.

After about a week, today I tried to up it to the second level (90 run, 60 walk). I got through three cycles of that before going back to 60 run, 90 walk. After that, I got off the treadmill and did some weight work. I was almost done when I ran into a friend of mine and we started talking. I started feeling a little light-headed.

Next thing I knew, I was on the floor of the gym with an incredibly sore ankle and him next to me going "Holy crap, dude, are you alright?!" I went too hard and fainted. I got some water and a candy in case it was blood sugar related (shouldn't be; my fasting tests have all come out normal, and I'd had my lunch about 3 hours before). Eventually I was able to limp out to my car and get home and was fine the rest of the night, other than the ankle. I iced it down and went to bed last night, woke up still sore, bruised, and swollen.

I'll be getting it checked out today. At the very least, I won't be running much anytime soon. Hoping it's only a sprain.

angel0430
07-18-2012, 08:43 AM
I am taking my training to the next level after my last 2 races were a disspoaintment. I have changed my eating habits and integrated speed workout and hill workouts. Also, got 2 new pair of shoes and so far they have been working fine.

angel0430
07-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Yesterday morning, 2.75 milesd in 25:17
Yesterday afternoon, 1.8 miles in 16:10

theonedru
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
What else are you doing exercise wise? Running is great but you need to combine it with other workouts to get the proper healthy effect. Also whats your diet like. You should try consuming some good liquid protein about an hour before you exercise and right after drink something (I suggest a 100% fruit juice with some liquid amino acids mixed in)

CJ1510
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
My dad just recently ran a 10k Mud Run and he said that for him at least he's only ran like 5 or 6 miles at the most the last few months and he completed the 10k fine. He said a lot of it is mental so i'd if you can even "master" a 2 mile jog, meaning run 2 miles or so w/out having to stop or being too tired you'd probably be able to knock off a 5k. Also, from experience since i would run the summer before HS soccer tryouts to get in shape, get good shoes, breathe and maybe have a pattern, and stay mentally tough. I focused on my breathing when I ran and it does help or at least for me it did and try not to let your mind wander too much, for me the more i thought about not wanting to be there the worse it was. Try to make it fun or at the least tolerable. For the record i could run a 5:45 mi when i was in shape. I "retired" from soccer 2 years ago and probably couldnt run a 8 min mi now.

angel0430
07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
What else are you doing exercise wise? Running is great but you need to combine it with other workouts to get the proper healthy effect. Also whats your diet like. You should try consuming some good liquid protein about an hour before you exercise and right after drink something (I suggest a 100% fruit juice with some liquid amino acids mixed in)

I do push-ups, sit-ups, squats and any other excercise that I can do at home. I hate going to the gym...I usually have like a fruit or a toast before the run and some Gatorade.