PDA

View Full Version : Has responding in this forum affected you're trading?

magic_bobcat
07-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey, my girlfriend just asked me if posting in these threads has affected my ability to trade on SCF. Luckily it hasn't so far, but I was wondering if anyone has missed out on a PC card because they said 'this' and the person with that card believes in 'that'.

habsheaven
07-05-2012, 07:13 PM
I had someone initiate a trade with me after reading my thoughts in here.

I may disagree with many of the folks in here but I still like most of them despite their shortcomings. :party0053:

Wickabee
07-05-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't think it ever has, but I wouldn't doubt it, either. I will say nothing anyone says in this forum would ever make me not trade with someone. Opinions on things like politics, religion, etc don't say who you are as a trader. There's personal opinion and then there's business. The fact that I'm closer to liberal than conservative says nothing for my trader rating. I let the ratings and past trading experience speak for themselves. Who you vote for or whether you're pro-choice or pro-life doesn't play into it at all.

It's as simple as business vs personal. It would be stupid not to make any sort of deal because the other party has different views about God.

magic_bobcat
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
You say that? But there was a thread about people not buying Oreos because they posted a rainbow Oreo. So obviously some times people cut off their nose to spite their face.

habsheaven
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
You say that? But there was a thread about people not buying Oreos because they posted a rainbow Oreo. So obviously some times people cut off their nose to spite their face.

That's a possibility I guess, but it really doesn't bother me if it is occurring. I have over 440 trades on Beckett, 176 deals here and another 77 deals on HI.

magic_bobcat
07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
That's a possibility I guess, but it really doesn't bother me if it is occurring. I have over 440 trades on Beckett, 176 deals here and another 77 deals on HI.

I did actually check your trade page. I can tell you now we're never going to trade. But that has nothing to do with your beliefs and 100% to do with you collecting hockey and me basketball. Nothing personal :winking0071:

I did like that even though (I think) you don't believe in god, you described the Beckett prices as just a guide and not 'gospel' that did tickle me. Simple things.

Wickabee
07-05-2012, 08:52 PM

I would go farther than my friend Habs here and say it's a probability. In fact I would say it's a definite, except I've never experienced it myself. I am absolutely certain I lost some potential trade partners after the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. I'm okay with that though for the simple reason that if they take into account my thoughts on some hockey games when deciding whether or not to make what is essentially a business transaction, they must not take their business very seriously and that does lead to potential poor trading habits.

Your example with the Oreos is a very good one. Again, I wouldn't let it affect me, even if I was against gay marriage, but many, many do. In my eyes, it's their loss.

magic_bobcat
07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I would go farther than my friend Habs here and say it's a probability. In fact I would say it's a definite, except I've never experienced it myself. I am absolutely certain I lost some potential trade partners after the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. I'm okay with that though for the simple reason that if they take into account my thoughts on some hockey games when deciding whether or not to make what is essentially a business transaction, they must not take their business very seriously and that does lead to potential poor trading habits.

Your example with the Oreos is a very good one. Again, I wouldn't let it affect me, even if I was against gay marriage, but many, many do. In my eyes, it's their loss.

I understand what your saying, and agree. I post how I post and if someone doesn't want to deal with me big whoops. Unless its a 1/1 I can get it elsewhere.

However, if someone came on here shouting their mouth off about how genocide or what not was a good thing (extreme I know) then I would probably not deal with them and buy off eBay/another user who hadn't said that.

Wickabee
07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I understand what your saying, and agree. I post how I post and if someone doesn't want to deal with me big whoops. Unless its a 1/1 I can get it elsewhere.

However, if someone came on here shouting their mouth off about how genocide or what not was a good thing (extreme I know) then I would probably not deal with them and buy off eBay/another user who hadn't said that.

Oh, there are exceptions to every rule for certain. If I read a post about how great the KKK is and then received a trade offer from that same person, there's a strong chance I'd ignore it, or maybe try to bleed as much as possible from that person, or just be difficult.
I understand why people do what they do, even with the Oreos. I just think it's a matter of picking your battles and 99% of the battles aren't worth fighting. Maybe I just don't offend as easily as some, who knows?

magic_bobcat
07-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Oh, there are exceptions to every rule for certain. If I read a post about how great the KKK is and then received a trade offer from that same person, there's a strong chance I'd ignore it, or maybe try to bleed as much as possible from that person, or just be difficult.
I understand why people do what they do, even with the Oreos. I just think it's a matter of picking your battles and 99% of the battles aren't worth fighting. Maybe I just don't offend as easily as some, who knows?

Yes.

Like Habs said, you don't have to agree with people to like them.
I could have a discussion with you for hours about religion and disagree on virtually every point but as long as you did it respectfully then sure I'll trade.

Tivo32
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Even if you are vehemently opposed to gay marriage, how could anyone stop eating Oreo's? They're delicious!

I would honestly say that if I got into an argument with a person on the forums about anything (hockey, religion, politics, cream-filled cookies) it may take me a day or so to come back to a trade with a clear mind, but I would certainly not pass on a trade because of a person's beliefs.

JustAlex
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I haven't made any trades, buys, or sells on here, but I would think since I have a strong and vocal way of expressing my opinions....it might affect me.

Although, I really don't care.

Tivo32
07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I haven't made any trades, buys, or sells on here, but I would think since I have a strong and vocal way of expressing my opinions....it might affect me.

Although, I really don't care.

Any reason why you haven't traded or bought or sold on here yet? It's pretty fun! :)

JustAlex
07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Any reason why you haven't traded or bought or sold on here yet? It's pretty fun! :)
At the moment I just can't afford to buy cards...

Times are really tough (financially) and to be perfectly honest I've sold well over 50% of my total collection in the past year.

My last hobby box was 2012 Bowman Jumbo box and to say the very least, it didn't go that well, I gambled and I lost.

Tivo32
07-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear that! But that makes sense.

At the moment I just can't afford to buy cards...

Times are really tough (financially) and to be perfectly honest I've sold well over 50% of my total collection in the past year.

My last hobby box was 2012 Bowman Jumbo box and to say the very least, it didn't go that well, I gambled and I lost.

MadMan1978
07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I havent bought a box Since 2009
But I did bust a blaster 2 months ago?

I do what I can trading wise. I just dont have to time to poke fun at all my GOP counterparts here since the MRM takes a large amount of my time.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
You know I always wondered about that. When I first started on SCF I used to lurk on P&R but quickly determined that it had more of a conservative lean to it and did not want to post here because I thought that it could scare off a potential trade partner. However someone started a bible discussion that I couldn't resist and I had to jump in. I have been hooked ever since. Oddly enough I was able to pull off a trade with the person who started the bible discussion. But to answer the OP I would never let anything that someone says on P&R short of someone saying that they support the KKK or child rape stop me from making a deal with someone on here.

Star_Cards
07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
I've wondered that from time to time if my public views in this forum have effected people selling my player lots. I have no way of knowing really. I just recently started posting my buy list and have had a few sales. I doubt I would not buy or sell or trade with a member based off of what he's said in the P&R boards unless they went to tell me that his character was bad. Even the people I debate with about these topics I think I'd deal with most if not all of them. I'd bet that at some point my posts have cost me a few purchases, but really have no way of knowing. Plus, so many people on this board never come into this forum.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Even if you are vehemently opposed to gay marriage, how could anyone stop eating Oreo's? They're delicious!

I would honestly say that if I got into an argument with a person on the forums about anything (hockey, religion, politics, cream-filled cookies) it may take me a day or so to come back to a trade with a clear mind, but I would certainly not pass on a trade because of a person's beliefs.

Also could someone please tell me if Oreo cookies are vegan?

magic_bobcat
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Also could someone please tell me if Oreo cookies are vegan?

From oreo.eu

What is the name of the dog used in the Oreo advert?
The dog used in the Oreo advert is called Chummy.

What is the breed of dog used in the Oreo advert?
Chummy is a Bearded Border Terrier Cross.

What is the history of Oreo?
Oreo was first sold in 1912 and has been America’s most popular biscuit ever since.* It was developed and produced by Nabisco and originally came in two flavours; lemon meringue and cream. There are various theories about how the name Oreo came about, but the truth is, no one really knows. Oreo is now the world’s favourite biscuit.* Rumour has it that over 7.5 billion are eaten every year or 20.5 million a day… phew. That’s a lot of biscuits!

top (http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=oreo-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=633#top)

I can’t twist my Oreo. What am I doing wrong?
There certainly is an art to it! If you grip the biscuit too hard, they will break due to the soft, crumbly texture. In our experience the best approach is to hold the biscuit at the top and bottom as if opening a screw top jar. Oreo has a lovely creamy filling and if the biscuit is too cold (below -18ºC, certainly not helped by our weather!) the cream becomes much firmer, making the twisting process more difficult. When the biscuit is warmer you will find the process easier. Mmm… hot Oreo!

top (http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=oreo-prd&locale=uken1&PagecRef=633#top)

Which Oreo varieties are available to buy in the UK and Ireland?
Click on the section titled ‘The Range’, where you can get the lowdown on the latest Oreo varieties available here in the UK and Ireland.

Is Oreo suitable for vegetarians?
Oreo is currently not suitable for vegetarians. However, our Research and Development team are trying out ways of making it veggie-friendly, and are optimistic that we could make an Oreo perfect for a vegetarian diet soon. Fingers crossed!

Is Oreo suitable for vegans?
Oreo is currently not suitable for vegans because the recipe contains whey powder. We’re also hoping to work on a vegan option soon, so watch this space. Whey-powder free, vegan-happy Oreo will hopefully be available soon. Exciting!

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks good looking out.

boba
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I would never not trade with anyone because of views they express on this forum. The only time I would is if there was someone who continuously made personal insults to me or anyone else on here. People should be treated with respect no matter what their views are.

Now to the oreo thing. If a company openly supports something I don't, then I would be more likely to choose a different option.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I would never not trade with anyone because of views they express on this forum. The only time I would is if there was someone who continuously made personal insults to me or anyone else on here. People should be treated with respect no matter what their views are.

Now to the oreo thing. If a company openly supports something I don't, then I would be more likely to choose a different option.

That makes sense about not trading with someone who personally attacks you. As far as the oreo cookies are involved say that there is a particular item that you must use. Only 1 company in the world produces that item. If that company supports gay rights and marriage would you still buy that item?

boba
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
That makes sense about not trading with someone who personally attacks you. As far as the oreo cookies are involved say that there is a particular item that you must use. Only 1 company in the world produces that item. If that company supports gay rights and marriage would you still buy that item?

Like I said, I would be less likely to buy from them if there was another option. So naturally, yes. The only way I would really try not to is if they mocked the other side of the issue, that would put a sour taste in my mouth.

magic_bobcat
07-06-2012, 12:49 PM

The oreo thing was just an example dude, sorry. And in no way was it personal.

Question though, if oreo had come out and said 'we only want straight people to eat our products' would you still buy them?

boba
07-06-2012, 01:06 PM
The oreo thing was just an example dude, sorry. And in no way was it personal.

Question though, if oreo had come out and said 'we only want straight people to eat our products' would you still buy them?

Don't worry about it, I didn't take it that way man haha : ). I really don't know how to answer that question because no company in their right mind would say that. But hypothetically I'm pretty sure I wouldn't if there was another option.

*censored*
07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
To answer the question, possibly. But the stuff I trade for is pretty highly specialized anyway, so it's more likely that no one has what I need haha.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I was thinking about changing my sig to something like this:

I will trade with you regardless of if you are black or white, gay or straight, republican or democrat, jew or gentile, prostestant or catholic.

What do ya'll think?

*censored*
07-06-2012, 01:14 PM
"If you wanna be my trader, it don't matter if you're black or white... WHOO!!"

*moonwalks*

magic_bobcat
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
"If you wanna be my trader, it don't matter if you're black or white... WHOO!!"

*moonwalks*

:love0030:

Wickabee
07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
"If you wannabe my trader, you gotta get with my friends..."

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Or how about this. You got to have a J-O-B if you want to trade with me.

boba
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I was thinking about changing my sig to something like this:

I will trade with you regardless of if you are black or white, gay or straight, republican or democrat, jew or gentile, prostestant or catholic.

What do ya'll think?

What do you have against Asians : (.

:winking0071: :heh:

*censored*
07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
It had to be done...

Black Or White
by *censored* Jackson
Guest appearances by Slash on guitar and some random guy rapping

I took my cards down to the SCF boards
I posted what I had to trade with the hoards
Now I believe in miracles
And I found a card that I need tonight
But if you're thinking about trading with me
It don't matter if you're black or white

I post my message on the politics side
Sayin' I don't care if you want a man for your bride
And I told about equality
And I caught flack from the left and the right

I am tired of the fighting
I am tired of Gorillawits
I am tired of this business
People really give me fits
You can see things how you want
It's your right to disagree
But I can still trade with you
No matter what your views be

Collections
Of players, sets and teams
Brings trading on the SCF scene
P&R can be a warzone on the board
Some peoples' thoughts can leave you floored
They explain their bases
Break cases in places
'Cause swapping cards what this space is
About
We all know we can bring some heat
But I'll trade with you if you got what I need

I know that you agree with me
Even when you're kicking dirt in my eye
'Çause if you're thinking about trading with me

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
What do you have against Asians : (.

:winking0071: :heh:

I'll trade with them too. :winking0071:

habsheaven
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
It had to be done...

Black Or White
by *censored* Jackson
Guest appearances by Slash on guitar and some random guy rapping

I took my cards down to the SCF boards
I posted what I had to trade with the hoards
Now I believe in miracles
And I found a card that I need tonight

I post my message on the politics side
Sayin' I don't care if you want a man for your bride
And I told about equality
And I caught flack from the left and the right

I am tired of the fighting
I am tired of Gorillawits
I am tired of this business
People really give me fits
You can see things how you want
It's your right to disagree
But I can still trade with you
No matter what your views be

Collections
Of players, sets and teams
Brings trading on the SCF scene
P&R can be a warzone on the board
Some peoples' thoughts can leave you floored
They explain their bases
Break cases in places
'Cause swapping cards what this space is
About
We all know we can bring some heat
But I'll trade with you if you got what I need

I know that you agree with me
Even when you're kicking dirt in my eye
'Çause if you're thinking about trading with me

Well done!!!:sign0087:

JustAlex
07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
I think that's a bit different than what they did though....

I would be against them if they said something like that, but I would also be against if they said that they only want gay people to eat their products as well.

I think a better analogy would be if they showed their support towards Christians for example.....and NO, that wouldn't keep me from buying their cookies.

magic_bobcat
07-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I think that's a bit different than what they did though....

I would be against them if they said something like that, but I would also be against if they said that they only want gay people to eat their products as well.

I think a better analogy would be if they showed their support towards Christians for example.....and NO, that wouldn't keep me from buying their cookies.

I don't think that quite nails it either, but I see what you mean.

The only reason I asked about them saying they 'only want straight people to eat their products' because they didn't directly state 'we support gay rights' and yet people who don't agree with homosexuality are contemplating no longer buying their cookies. So the antithesis of supporting gay rights is to not support them and one way to do that would be shove hetrosexuality into our faces. Thus if they stated 'we love straight people' or such would people still boycott their products.

If you get what Im asking?

pspstatus
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't think it has affected my trading on here. But I do think it affected my trading on another site that I used to frequent. I was on a trading roll then once I started posting in the P&R forum there it slowed down substantially. Something that I also believe hurt me was what I did after quite a few heated debates about religion. Some holier than thou cats were trying to call me a sinner and said they would pray for me which is the wrong thing to say to me. So I laid the verbal smack down on them and proceeded to put a nice pic in my sig of a no smoking sign except where there would normally be a cigarette the word religion was in the red circle instead. Then I got some complaints about not wanting to have to see that and I should keep my views to myself. The funny thing was though that these people never once complained to posters who had pictures of crosses or Jesus or bible quotes in their sig. So I didn't take it off and I think that hurt me a lot.

Tivo32
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't think it has affected my trading on here. But I do think it affected my trading on another site that I used to frequent. I was on a trading roll then once I started posting in the P&R forum there it slowed down substantially. Something that I also believe hurt me was what I did after quite a few heated debates about religion. Some holier than thou cats were trying to call me a sinner and said they would pray for me which is the wrong thing to say to me. So I laid the verbal smack down on them and proceeded to put a nice pic in my sig of a no smoking sign except where there would normally be a cigarette the word religion was in the red circle instead. Then I got some complaints about not wanting to have to see that and I should keep my views to myself. The funny thing was though that these people never once complained to posters who had pictures of crosses or Jesus or bible quotes in their sig. So I didn't take it off and I think that hurt me a lot.

Sometimes fighting fire with fire, whether rightfully so or not, just isn't worth it. It'd be a bummer to lose out on nice trades.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Sometimes fighting fire with fire, whether rightfully so or not, just isn't worth it. It'd be a bummer to lose out on nice trades.

I feel what you are saying but if someone is ignorant enough not to trade with you because they disagree with your religion or politics they probably wont trade with you because they don't like the same sports teams that you like either.

Tivo32
07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. I see what you mean.

theonedru
07-07-2012, 01:51 AM
I have butted heads with many people, like Duane and Shrew to name 2 but just because we argue back and forth and rarely see eye to eye doesn't mean I don't respect them (as much as they might be wrong at times :winking0071:) and think they are actually pretty decent folk.