PDA

View Full Version : Sixers Center Spencer Hawes a proud conservative

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
And to think I actually liked Hawes because he gave me his auto before. LOL. Would you think any more or less of your favorite ballplayers because of their social or political stances?

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-1...ressional-seat (http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-16/sports/31727706_1_spencer-hawes-sixers-congressional-seat)

Wickabee
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
No more than the time I met my favourite musician and found out he's a complete tool.

Great musician, though.

magic_bobcat
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
No more than the time I met my favourite musician and found out he's a complete tool.

Great musician, though.

Who was it?

And no, the political standings of my favourite musicians/athletes doesn't overly bother me unless they're extreme. In fact like Hawes said I'd rather people at least have the discussion and if NBA players or 'rock the vote' can bring interest into politics then I'm all for it.

ensbergcollector
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
yeah, not sure what the issue is. There are untold athletes, actors, and musicians who are outspoken for the left, not sure why it should be an issue that this guy is out spoken for the right.

Wickabee
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Who was it?

Matthew Good. Did not like him.

magic_bobcat
07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Matthew Good. Did not like him.

(Has to wiki him)

Wow wow wow Canada has a musician that isn't
Celine Dion
Avril Lavigne
Sum 41
Alexisonfire
Cancer Bats
Carly Rae Jepsen
Drake
or Justin Bieber, I am shocked.

Frantiic
07-06-2012, 08:14 PM
both yes and no.. I don't care if he's a democrat or republican.. that doesn't matter to me. but I would care if he or she is racist, nazi etc. I would probably just let go of him or her if that was the case. My favorite players are all black, so i dont think they are racists or even nazis, so im good :)

Wickabee
07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
(Has to wiki him)

Wow wow wow Canada has a musician that isn't
Celine Dion
Avril Lavigne
Sum 41
Alexisonfire
Cancer Bats
Carly Rae Jepsen
Drake
or Justin Bieber, I am shocked.

Never heard of Cancer Bats, didn't know Carly Rae Jepsen belonged to us. Neat!

Although, I'd have to add a few names to your list to complete it:
Neil Young
Rush
The Guess Who
Finger Eleven
K-os
Buck 65
Tom Cochrane / Red Rider
Robbie Robertson
etc
etc
etc
;)

Wickabee
07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
both yes and no.. I don't care if he's a democrat or republican.. that doesn't matter to me. but I would care if he or she is racist, nazi etc. I would probably just let go of him or her if that was the case. My favorite players are all black, so i dont think they are racists or even nazis, so im good :)

Black people can be racist too, you know.

habsheaven
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
This guy sounds pretty level headed. No reason for him not to be proud of his conservatism. I really wouldn't have a problem with any of my favourite player's political stances unless like Tim Thomas, they put their politics ahead of their team. For any athelete, team should be their #2 priority right behind family. Anything else and I don't want you on my team.

habsheaven
07-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Neil Young
Rush
The Guess Who
Finger Eleven
K-os
Buck 65
Tom Cochrane / Red Rider
Robbie Robertson
etc
etc
etc
;)

What? You missed her 3rd place finish on Canadian Idol? Speaking of which, Hedley (Jacob finished 4th) is canadian but I have no idea how well-known they are in the US. Then there are:

Paul Anka
Anne Murray
Gordon Lightfoot
Alannis Morissette
Nickelback
April Wine
Sam Roberts
etc
etc

lol

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 08:34 PM

Black people can be racist too, you know.

You are absolutely right. Look at Alan West. He hates black people.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
This guy sounds pretty level headed. No reason for him not to be proud of his conservatism. I really wouldn't have a problem with any of my favourite player's political stances unless like Tim Thomas, they put their politics ahead of their team. For any athelete, team should be their #2 priority right behind family. Anything else and I don't want you on my team.

For the non atheists faith usually comes first then family. Also I assume that you are talking about Tim Thomas the hockey player and not Tim Thomas the former nba player.

habsheaven
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM
For the non atheists faith usually comes first then family. Also I assume that you are talking about Tim Thomas the hockey player and not Tim Thomas the former nba player.

Just another reason I cannot accept religion. Asking me to put anything before my family is absurd. And yes, I am referring to Tim Thomas the B's goalie.

ensbergcollector
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM

not even sure why i bother but do you care to back up your statement? I look forward to you validating your statement that he "hates" black people.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
not even sure why i bother but do you care to back up your statement? I look forward to you validating your statement that he "hates" black people.

I would love to but most of the conservative readers get offended when I tell the truth about that kind of stuff so I'm going to have to decline further comment. Feel free to go over any of my previous postings on him though.

mrveggieman
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Just another reason I cannot accept religion. Asking me to put anything before my family is absurd. And yes, I am referring to Tim Thomas the B's goalie.

If I could play devil's advocate pun intended people who believe in God consider him as their heavenly father so he would still be considered as your family just like the people who practice your religion would be considered your brothers and sisters.

habsheaven
07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
If I could play devil's advocate pun intended people who believe in God consider him as their heavenly father so he would still be considered as your family just like the people who practice your religion would be considered your brothers and sisters.

That's all well and good. If christians want to rationalise it that way they can. I know the difference and VALUE my family accordingly. Keep in mind though that also means that you are sleeping with your sister.

Wickabee
07-07-2012, 12:20 AM
What? You missed her 3rd place finish on Canadian Idol? Speaking of which, Hedley (Jacob finished 4th) is canadian but I have no idea how well-known they are in the US. Then there are:

Paul Anka
Anne Murray
Gordon Lightfoot
Alannis Morissette
Nickelback
April Wine
Sam Roberts
etc
etc

lol

Hedley is worse than Simple Plan. I refuse to call them a band, they are a scourge.

I can't believe I left out Lightfoot. I will chastise myself accordingly.

magic_bobcat
07-07-2012, 05:26 AM

Paul Anka - who?
Anne Murray - who?
Gordon Lightfoot - who?
Alannis Morissette
Nickelback
April Wine - who?
Sam Roberts - who? haha
etc
etc

lol

Ah yeah Alanis Morissette, didn't she play God in Dogma?

I forgot Nelly Furtado. Turns out there are more famous Canada's in the UK music scene then I realised. In fact I've seen most of the people I listed live (don't worry I don't suffer from Bieber fever). I will cross Drake off the list tonight.

magic_bobcat
07-07-2012, 05:31 AM

Neil Young
Rush
The Guess Who
Finger Eleven
K-os
Buck 65
Tom Cochrane / Red Rider
Robbie Robertson
etc
etc
etc
;)

Cancer Bats are killer. Probably my favourite Canadian band still around after Alexisonfire broke up. Plus the lead singer signed my CDs after a show once. And I only know about Carly Rae Jepsen because her song is MASSIVE in the UK, especially with my girlfriend always playing that 'call me maybe' song.

boba
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Just wondering, do you believe black people can be racist against white people?

mrveggieman
07-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Post edited

mrveggieman
07-07-2012, 11:29 AM

Yes everyone is capable of bigotry. It is not limited to race. Some people hate gays and others hate jews and muslims.

Wickabee
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Ah yeah Alanis Morissette, didn't she play God in Dogma?

I forgot Nelly Furtado. Turns out there are more famous Canada's in the UK music scene then I realised. In fact I've seen most of the people I listed live (don't worry I don't suffer from Bieber fever). I will cross Drake off the list tonight.

You need to listen to more Canadian music, man haha.

And Drizzy was so much cooler when he was in a wheelchair...bonus points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

mrveggieman
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM

And Drizzy was so much cooler when he was in a wheelchair...bonus points to anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

Im mainly into hip hop and R&B. What's the hip hop game like in Canada?

Wickabee
07-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Im mainly into hip hop and R&B. What's the hip hop game like in Canada?

Listen to:
K-os
Classified
Buck 65

Those are my favourites. Not so much that gangsta more genuine hip-hop with a lot of outside influences, especially Buck 65.

On a semi-related note, I just learned that Carly Rae Jepsen is on Chad Kroeger's label, 604 records. That made me giggle.

Tivo32
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I had 0 idea who K-os was. I then went to a Roots concert where Lupe Fiasco opened up for them. K-os was the pre-opener and the dude just flat out stole the show from those other two. Best concert I've ever been to.

magic_bobcat
07-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Isn't it because of that tv programme Ellen Page was also in? Degrasie or something?

K-os, ahhhaaha check out the crabs in the bucket.

Is Buck 65 Canadian? I had no idea. Got most of his records

Wickabee
07-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Isn't it because of that tv programme Ellen Page was also in? Degrasie or something?
Give that man some bonus points!

K-os, ahhhaaha check out the crabs in the bucket.
I would actually call that his worst song, and I quite like it.

Is Buck 65 Canadian? I had no idea. Got most of his records
Yes, he's from Halifax, actually, though he lives in Paris now. He was on the path to play shortstop for the Yankees when a knee injury ended his baseball career. Since then he's been in Hip Hop and the world is better for it.

habsheaven
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Give that man some bonus points!

I wanted to answer but because of my citizenship I thought it wouldn't be fair.

I would actually call that his worst song, and I quite like it.

Yes, he's from Halifax, actually, though he lives in Paris now. He was on the path to play shortstop for the Yankees when a knee injury ended his baseball career. Since then he's been in Hip Hop and the world is better for it.

Actually, I thought Buck 65 grew up in Enfield just outside Halifax (or maybe I am thinking of Classified). My girls like both of them regardless.

Responses in bold.