PDA

View Full Version : Attn Gen Eric Holder on vote id laws: We call those poll taxes

mrveggieman
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/eric-holder-voter-id-laws-call-those-poll-193012336.html

shrewsbury
07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
so obama care is a tax that was not a tax

i can't go to the local dump without an ID, and you can get one for $8

Wickabee
07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
What are the current voter ID laws (I'm ignorant on many things American) and what does the NAACP propose to replace them?

habsheaven
07-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I believe they are different from state to state so it may be hard to answer that adequately. If I'm wrong, have at it.

What are the current voter ID laws (I'm ignorant on many things American) and what does the NAACP propose to replace them?

Wickabee
07-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm just curious if it's simply a matter of "You must have government issued IS to vote."

I don't see a problem with that whatsoever. Trying to use a non-government issued student ID seems like it's pretty open to abuse. At the same time, if it's a state run school, I see no problem with it counting as ID.

mrveggieman
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Voting is a right guaranteed by law to all law abiding citizens regardless of race, religion etc. Forcing citizens to purchase a state id placing an uneccessary burden on voters. It is akin to charging $20 (the price of a state ID) to vote. The ironic part is the states that are requiring photo ID's have low if not no instances of voter fraud but are conveniently red states. Also check out how the state of georgia is trying to make it harder to renew your driver's liscence or state ID and it just so happens to be during a election year. What a coincidence. Not.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/tougher-policies-coming-georgia-drivers-soon/nNzrS/

cbuskstwar
07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I guess its ok to be taxed on health care, but not to get a $10 ID?

Wickabee
07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Voting is a right guaranteed by law to all law abiding citizens regardless of race, religion etc. Forcing citizens to purchase a state id placing an uneccessary burden on voters. It is akin to charging $20 (the price of a state ID) to vote. The ironic part is the states that are requiring photo ID's have low if not no instances of voter fraud but are conveniently red states. Also check out how the state of georgia is trying to make it harder to renew your driver's liscence or state ID and it just so happens to be during a election year. What a coincidence. Not.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/tougher-policies-coming-georgia-drivers-soon/nNzrS/

So you just show up and vote with no proof you have the right to? (convicted felon, etc)

mrveggieman
07-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I guess its ok to be taxed on health care, but not to get a $10 ID?

Voting is a right that is guaranteed by law to all law abiding citizens. There cannot be any type of financial impediments imposed by the gov't that may make it harder for any citizens to exercise their right to vote.

Wickabee
07-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Voting is a right that is guaranteed by law to all law abiding citizens. There cannot be any type of financial impediments imposed by the gov't that may make it harder for any citizens to exercise their right to vote.

But you still need to be able to somehow recognize "legal" voters as such. Without some form of governmant issued ID, that's impossible.

mrveggieman
07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
But you still need to be able to somehow recognize "legal" voters as such. Without some form of governmant issued ID, that's impossible.

People have been voting in this country for hundreds of years with only a few if any instances of voter ID fraud. Then in 2000 and 2004 GWB stole 2 elections and not even then did the republicans want to do anything about voter fraud and all of a sudden in 2008 a blackman has a good chance of becoming the POTUS and the republicans want to scream voter fraud and do the same thing in 2012. With this and the Arizona immigration laws if this isn't a clear case of trying to go back to jim crow laws I don't know what is.

shrewsbury
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
you should have to show ID, you should have to show you did not vote more than once, you are not wanted, and you are allowed to vote in that area.

voting is really messed up. in our college town, our votes are often swayed by students voting, who may live here 9 months a year, but this is not their home.

i also feel anyone who completely relies on the government for health care, food, housing, and such should not be allowed to vote, would this not be a conflict of interest?

Wickabee
07-12-2012, 02:24 AM
People have been voting in this country for hundreds of years with only a few if any instances of voter ID fraud. Then in 2000 and 2004 GWB stole 2 elections and not even then did the republicans want to do anything about voter fraud and all of a sudden in 2008 a blackman has a good chance of becoming the POTUS and the republicans want to scream voter fraud and do the same thing in 2012. With this and the Arizona immigration laws if this isn't a clear case of trying to go back to jim crow laws I don't know what is.

Yeah, because they need to show ID. The fact that a law is working is no reason to kill said law.

11chaos
07-12-2012, 04:21 AM
To even cash a check it is required to have a form of ID with a picture. Not sure why this is such a big deal to have one to vote. That is unless you want to be several people and vote in different districts, which is padding the votes. Sometimes people should stop being so PC and just use that stuff called Common Sense.

habsheaven
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
you should have to show ID, you should have to show you did not vote more than once, you are not wanted, and you are allowed to vote in that area.

voting is really messed up. in our college town, our votes are often swayed by students voting, who may live here 9 months a year, but this is not their home.

i also feel anyone who completely relies on the government for health care, food, housing, and such should not be allowed to vote, would this not be a conflict of interest?

Really? How about someone that works for Haliburton or any other defense contractor? How about people that work in government? Surely they have a vested interest in who wins. That IS why people vote. You cast your vote for the candidate that best suits YOUR interests. Hard to call that a conflict.

shrewsbury
07-12-2012, 08:12 AM
habs, big difference in working and receiving a paycheck from the government than it is living strictly on government handouts.

habsheaven
07-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Yes there is a big difference, but there is NO difference when it comes time to cast a vote. The person running a government agency under a Democratic President is going to vote Democratic to save his job, even more so than the person recieving benefits is going to support one party over another.

You are advocating that we determine someone's rights based on their particular station in life.

habs, big difference in working and receiving a paycheck from the government than it is living strictly on government handouts.

mrveggieman
07-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah, because they need to show ID. The fact that a law is working is no reason to kill said law.

What photo ID's did people show in the 1700s and 1800s?

shrewsbury
07-12-2012, 08:47 AM
habs, i see your point
veg, really old ones!!!

mrveggieman
07-12-2012, 08:48 AM
habs, i see your point
veg, really old ones!!!

You got a pic of one?

*censored*
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Most past ones were done via signatures. Additionally, there were fewer people voting-- you had to be a white male landowner unti, what, the early 1800's at the latest.

Regardless of election theft in the past and who did it (I see your GWB and raise you a JFK), there needs to be a more secure law in place to prevent this.

Granted, with the Diebold voting machines, it doesn't matter if you show ID or not, they can swing an election any which way they please. No paper trail, nothing to hide or cover.

pwaldo
07-13-2012, 06:34 PM

What do people need to vote in Canada? Also to all the lurkers if you are from a different country you can always chime in as well with what you need to vote in your country?

Wickabee
07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
What do people need to vote in Canada? Also to all the lurkers if you are from a different country you can always chime in as well with what you need to vote in your country?
http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index&lang=e

There's 3 options:
1 - 1 piece Government issued photo ID. ie: Driver's License or Provincial ID card. ORIGINAL COPY ONLY.
2 - 2 pieces of official ID (no photo required). Both pieces must have your name and at least one piece must include your home addressie: CareCard or SIN card or and Hydro bill (official mail) etc. ORIGINAL COPIES ONLY.
3 - 1 person from your voting district who has above ID can vouch for you after you take a legal oath stating who you are.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what the laws are below the 49th, but if it's anything like this system, you don't have a damn thing to complain about. Frankly, I think option 3 is really weak and very open to abuse, but it is what it is. Even if America is along the lines of just 1 and 2 you have nothing to complain about. If I had my way, one would need a piece of photo ID AND a secondary piece. This system makes it easier to vote than to buy a pack of cigarettes and, while I don't believe in making it difficult to vote, I see a lot of holes that open up for potential abuse. I have no problem with proving who you are to vote, even if it costs a few bucks for the card.

duane1969
07-14-2012, 12:14 PM
What photo ID's did people show in the 1700s and 1800s?

What is the relevance? Times change and with those changes other changes need to occur as well. The law protecting people from showing ID is antiquated and dates back to a time when populations were small and everyone knew everyone. Around the same time that the law quaranteeing people the right to vote existed it was also only legal for white landowners to vote. Do you support that old law as well or do you only think that laws that fit your need should be followed?

duane1969
07-14-2012, 12:20 PM
This is funny. Was looking for something else and ran across this. Gotta love it when idiots defeat themselves with their own stupidity.

http://youtu.be/BZf25pmgR4c

habsheaven
07-14-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't know about BC wickabee, but here in NS I do not need any of that if I show up with the voter registration card they sent to me in the mail. I can even vote without it if anyone at the polling station confirms my identity. Once they hand me a ballot they put a line through my name on the voter rolls so that "I" can't vote again.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index&lang=e

There's 3 options:
1 - 1 piece Government issued photo ID. ie: Driver's License or Provincial ID card. ORIGINAL COPY ONLY.
2 - 2 pieces of official ID (no photo required). Both pieces must have your name and at least one piece must include your home addressie: CareCard or SIN card or and Hydro bill (official mail) etc. ORIGINAL COPIES ONLY.
3 - 1 person from your voting district who has above ID can vouch for you after you take a legal oath stating who you are.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what the laws are below the 49th, but if it's anything like this system, you don't have a damn thing to complain about. Frankly, I think option 3 is really weak and very open to abuse, but it is what it is. Even if America is along the lines of just 1 and 2 you have nothing to complain about. If I had my way, one would need a piece of photo ID AND a secondary piece. This system makes it easier to vote than to buy a pack of cigarettes and, while I don't believe in making it difficult to vote, I see a lot of holes that open up for potential abuse. I have no problem with proving who you are to vote, even if it costs a few bucks for the card.

drtom2005
07-14-2012, 07:27 PM
This is base on data, recently, collected. When less people vote, Repubilcans tend to win. Win more people vote, Democrats tend to win. Both parties know this and want to swing the voting public to their advantage.

The recent elections have been extemely close.

The health care issue has nothing to do with this voting issue. To contain cost everyone has to start paying into the system, since everyone uses it at least once in their lifetime.

ensbergcollector
07-14-2012, 07:32 PM

just when i was reconsidering becoming active in the p&r forums again, i am reminded of why i stopped.

Wickabee
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't know about BC wickabee, but here in NS I do not need any of that if I show up with the voter registration card they sent to me in the mail. I can even vote without it if anyone at the polling station confirms my identity. Once they hand me a ballot they put a line through my name on the voter rolls so that "I" can't vote again.

Straight from Elections Canada, man.