PDA

View Full Version : Mantle signed ball

Girevik
07-15-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a Mickey Mantal signed ball. What is a reasonable amount I might get for it if I decide to sell it?

NY Sports Teams
07-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I think there are a number of variables that come into play. Is it authenticated, if not do you know the history of the ball, are there any inscriptions, what is the condition of the ball and the signature itself, is it personalized, where on the ball was it signed, what was it signed with, is it an OMLB? I've seen them go for anywhere from $300-$800.

If the ball was signed with the last name of Mantal and not Mantle I think you would be looking at getting around $5. Just busting...Rick

Girevik
07-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info.

It is not authenticated, and there is no inscription. The ball and signature are in great condition, and not personalized. The ball was signed for a my father at a trade show he was attending a couple of years before Mantle died (the organizers brought Mantle in to do the signing). My dad has a picture of him getting the ball from Mantle somewhere, but I'm not sure if he can still find it. He signed a brand new ball with what looks to me to be a blue felt tip pen. I don't have the ball in front of me and can't recall where exactly it was signed. I'm not sure OMLB is.

I'm assuming he spelled his last name correctly, but again don't have it in front of me so will have to check (ooops).

So, should I decide to sell it, what would be my best approach? I'd think pretty hard about selling if I could get $500 - $800 for it. I know a dealer won't give me top dollar since he needs to make money on it.

#1BRONCSFAN
07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Would love to see a pic of the ball. I have a Mantle ball to. Love it.

Girevik
07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Sure. I'll try to snap a pic and post it this evening.

#1BRONCSFAN
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Cool. Thanks

JerseyInk
07-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Once you get it authenticated, then you can start figuring out a ballpark price. Until then, only a knucklehead will buy it as he is one of the most forged autos in the business.

Girevik
07-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Once you get it authenticated, then you can start figuring out a ballpark price. Until then, only a knucklehead will buy it as he is one of the most forged autos in the business.

So I guess this brings up a couple other questions. First, how would a go about getting it authenticated? Is that something someone at a local memerobila store could do? And secondly, what's a ballpark cost for that?

Or maybe a better question is do you know any knuckleheads who want to buy a Mantle ball?

#1BRONCSFAN
07-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Send it to PSA/DNA. Best in the business. I think a Mantle auto is $100 bucks or so

JD4short
07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
pm on what your looking to get for it. thanks

Girevik
07-16-2012, 05:42 PM
It's probably just becaues I don't know the field, but I've always found the whole COA thing a bit ironic. If I think someone might counterit a call, why can't they counterift a certificate? Or send an item out 10 times to get authenticated and sell a bogus item with each certificate?

At any rate, it sounds like I need to get a feel for what the ball would be worth (assuming it's genuine) and then decide if I'd be willing to sell if for that less the cost of autentication.

Here's a picture of it. I guess I was wrong...it's signed in black ink. I also asked Uncle Google what OMLB was. This is a Spalding ball that says "Offical Major League Spcifications". So I'm guessing that makes it an OMLB ball?

#1BRONCSFAN
07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Cool deal man. Thanks for the pic. Send it to PSA/DNA. If it passes it will be worth some cash.

NY Sports Teams
07-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the info.

It is not authenticated, and there is no inscription. The ball and signature are in great condition, and not personalized. The ball was signed for a my father at a trade show he was attending a couple of years before Mantle died (the organizers brought Mantle in to do the signing). My dad has a picture of him getting the ball from Mantle somewhere, but I'm not sure if he can still find it. He signed a brand new ball with what looks to me to be a blue felt tip pen. I don't have the ball in front of me and can't recall where exactly it was signed. I'm not sure OMLB is.

I'm assuming he spelled his last name correctly, but again don't have it in front of me so will have to check (ooops).

So, should I decide to sell it, what would be my best approach? I'd think pretty hard about selling if I could get $500 - $800 for it. I know a dealer won't give me top dollar since he needs to make money on it.

Even thought I believe in absolutely NOTHING that PSA/DNA authenticates they are a must when selling any higher end item. PSA/DNA has messed up time after time after time but the collecting community believes they are God. I think of them as a joke, seeing them authenticate forgeries and not authenticate in-person (IP) auto's. When I see an item authenticated by them I always wonder is it really authentic. You will NEVER know unless you see an item signed in front of you. Not in this case but it makes no sense to pay for an authentication fee when the item is going to sell for a low price. There are people out there who do attempt to alter COA's and have removed COA stickers from a lower priced item and transferred it to another item which would sell for a higher price. You either have to send a a ball in to PSA/DNA or attend a show that they are at. Normally they only attend larger shows.

In 2000 MLB changed from having one baseball for the American League and one ball for the National League to just one Official Major League baseball. The new baseball has a silhouetted batter logo. Mantle died in 1995 so he could not have signed one of the new baseballs.

It's good to have a photo of Mantle signing the ball but many of these forgers have a picture of Mantle signing an item but it is not the actual item that they are attempting to sell. On the other hand, I've had friends take pictures of a player signing an item only to have PSA/DNA not authenticate it. In PSA/DNA's defense it is tougher to tell whether a rushed signature in-person is authentic compared to a sit down signing. I believe there are more Mantle and Ted Williams forgeries in the marketplace than any other players. Felt tip is not the desired instrument to have a ball signed with nor is black the desired color. A ball should always be signed with a blue ballpoint pen.

I'm not a seller on eBay nor would I ever buy an autographed item from there but I would believe you would get a higher price if you are an established seller. I would think many collectors would be hesitant to buy an item from someone who has very low feedback.

...Rick

Girevik
07-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Great info. Thanks! It would really bite to send it out and not get authenticated when I know 100% that it's real.

The ball may well be signed with a ball point pen. I just likely don't know what I'm talking about. As I look closer I don't see any bleeding of the ink on the edges like I'd expect with a felt tip.

#1BRONCSFAN
07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Even thought I believe in absolutely NOTHING that PSA/DNA authenticates they are a must when selling any higher end item. PSA/DNA has messed up time after time after time but the collecting community believes they are God. I think of them as a joke, seeing them authenticate forgeries and not authenticate in-person (IP) auto's. When I see an item authenticated by them I always wonder is it really authentic. You will NEVER know unless you see an item signed in front of you. Not in this case but it makes no sense to pay for an authentication fee when the item is going to sell for a low price. There are people out there who do attempt to alter COA's and have removed COA stickers from a lower priced item and transferred it to another item which would sell for a higher price. You either have to send a a ball in to PSA/DNA or attend a show that they are at. Normally they only attend larger shows.

In 2000 MLB changed from having one baseball for the American League and one ball for the National League to just one Official Major League baseball. The new baseball has a silhouetted batter logo. Mantle died in 1995 so he could not have signed one of the new baseballs.

It's good to have a photo of Mantle signing the ball but many of these forgers have a picture of Mantle signing an item but it is not the actual item that they are attempting to sell. On the other hand, I've had friends take pictures of a player signing an item only to have PSA/DNA not authenticate it. In PSA/DNA's defense it is tougher to tell whether a rushed signature in-person is authentic compared to a sit down signing. I believe there are more Mantle and Ted Williams forgeries in the marketplace than any other players. Felt tip is not the desired instrument to have a ball signed with nor is black the desired color. A ball should always be signed with a blue ballpoint pen.

I'm not a seller on eBay nor would I ever buy an autographed item from there but I would believe you would get a higher price if you are an established seller. I would think many collectors would be hesitant to buy an item from someone who has very low feedback.

...Rick

Ya know one is perfect. But if you think of PSA as a joke I can only imagine what you think of the other company's.

NY Sports Teams
07-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Ya know one is perfect. But if you think of PSA as a joke I can only imagine what you think of the other company's.

You got that right. If you do have to get something authenticated your only choice is PSA/DNA. If you pay hard earned money to any other company I think you are extremely foolish. As I have said numerous times, when I look at someones auto that is authenticated by PSA/DNA I wonder if in fact it is genuine. I understand many people want to get auto's from deceased players but I could never trust anything authenticated by any of the authentication companies, even PSA/DNA. I would love to have a DiMaggio, Gehrig and Ted Williams auto but I would not know if it is 100% authentic. All of the auto's, close to 300, in my collection are in-person with the exception of three Steiner's (Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr and Mario Lemieux) and two from the players foundation (Nolan Ryan and Brett Favre). You can trust Steiner, TriStar, UDA and a couple of others since they have players under contract and they do signings. You CAN NEVER trust a company that buys auto's from a third party.

...Rick

NY Sports Teams
07-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Great info. Thanks! It would really bite to send it out and not get authenticated when I know 100% that it's real.

The ball may well be signed with a ball point pen. I just likely don't know what I'm talking about. As I look closer I don't see any bleeding of the ink on the edges like I'd expect with a felt tip.

I know quite a few people that have balls that were signed with a sharpie (a big no-no) who sprayed Krylon on the ball to preserve it. They have said it does not yellow the ball over time. I even know a couple of people who have sprayed with Krylon even though the ball was signed with blue ballpoint. I highly doubt I would ever do that but to each his own. I would worry some chemical in Krylon would deteriorate the signature over time...Rick

JerseyInk
07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
You got that right. If you do have to get something authenticated your only choice is PSA/DNA. If you pay hard earned money to any other company I think you are extremely foolish. As I have said numerous times, when I look at someones auto that is authenticated by PSA/DNA I wonder if in fact it is genuine. I understand many people want to get auto's from deceased players but I could never trust anything authenticated by any of the authentication companies, even PSA/DNA. I would love to have a DiMaggio, Gehrig and Ted Williams auto but I would not know if it is 100% authentic. All of the auto's, close to 300, in my collection are in-person with the exception of three Steiner's (Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr and Mario Lemieux) and two from the players foundation (Nolan Ryan and Brett Favre). You can trust Steiner, TriStar, UDA and a couple of others since they have players under contract and they do signings. You CAN NEVER trust a company that buys auto's from a third party.

...Rick

Wow...just wow. Do you speak from a bad experience or just opinion? This should be good.

NY Sports Teams
07-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Wow...just wow. Do you speak from a bad experience or just opinion? This should be good.

I do not speak of any bad experiences I've encountered because I would NEVER use or buy an autograph that is authenticated by ANY of those companies. I have on at least three occasions saw an in-person (IP) autograph signed for a couple of friends only to come back as "likely not genuine". I don't remember all of the players but one was Eli Manning. I guess someone must have had a mask on which looked like Manning's face and he just happened to be wearing an authentic Giants uniform with a number 10. That is the only way the autograph could be not genuine.

I'm not going to post links but you can google it and find tons of examples of how these companies have made glaring mistakes. They have authenticated items that came out well after the player died who supposedly signed them. Just a couple of examples. As you probably know baseballs used to have the league president on them. There have been balls authenticated that a player supposedly signed and the ball that came out after the player died. If a player died prior to 1984 he could not have signed a baseball which had league president Bobby Brown on it, because Brown was not the league president until 1984. There have been autographs authenticated that a player supposedly signed with a sharpie but the player died prior to 1964. Sharpies were not invented until 1964. How the heck could a player who died in 1958 used a sharpie to sign a photo? They have even authenticated items that the player did not know how to spell his own name.

Ok, I'll send you one link. Here is one that PSA/DNA authenticated a Ty Cobb signature. I wish I had it, it was signed by Cobb's wife. If they can't get Cobb's right how the heck can they get an auto signed by just one of the average ballplayers. http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=12266

If they can get that wrong how can you even trust a cut auto from a card company. Do you really believe that these companies witnessed Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb sign it? They are authenticated by someone. If they can make such a glaring mistake on the Cobb can you trust ANYTHING that they authenticate. As I've said hundreds of times, when I see an auto authenticated by ANY of these I wonder, is it real.

Go google mistakes by autograph authentication companies. There will be hundreds of them. I understand people want to get auto's of these deceased players but like the Cobb, is it really authentic?

...Rick

letsgocapitals
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
If you expect top dollar, you have no choice but to get it authenticated by PSA or JSA. Ebay has a number of authenticators on their banned list. So you wouldn't even be able to list the ball from many others beyond PSA or JSA. The $100 fee to have it authenticated will be paid for and then some... you'll be looking at $400 to $600 for JSA and/or PSA.

JerseyInk
07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I can understand your hesitance in the authenticating system. However, i'm willing to bet my best item that PSA and JSA get it right more so than none. We all have our preferences on who we trust and who we don't. For instance, you won't find an item with GAI coa in my collection. Ever. I've also seen an IP fail a cert. But you know there's alot of variables that come into play.

There's not a perfect system and there will never be for IP autos. Majority of the community trusts a PSA or JSA cert. Bottom line, nobody forces you to buy/trade for items. Homework will go a long way.

NY Sports Teams
07-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I can understand your hesitance in the authenticating system. However, i'm willing to bet my best item that PSA and JSA get it right more so than none. We all have our preferences on who we trust and who we don't. For instance, you won't find an item with GAI coa in my collection. Ever. I've also seen an IP fail a cert. But you know there's alot of variables that come into play.

There's not a perfect system and there will never be for IP autos. Majority of the community trusts a PSA or JSA cert. Bottom line, nobody forces you to buy/trade for items. Homework will go a long way.

We do not have the same way of thinking. PSA/DNA, JSA getting it right more so than none is not good enough for me. If I'm going to shell out hundreds if not thousands for an autograph, getting it right more so than none is not good enough. If I pay for any service, plumber, electrician, ect I'm not paying for them "to get it right more so than none". I can flip a coin and call heads or tails and "get it right more so than none".

My bottom line is I do not believe they could authenticate their own signature. I point out glaring mistakes made by these jokers to people in the collecting community who may be unaware of their colossal mistakes. When I see someones collection and they have autographs that were authenticated I always wonder is it real or a forgery. I know when I look at my collection I know that they are 100% authentic, I saw them signed. A collector who has these authenticated auto's in their collection want their auto to be real and probably have convinced themselves that it is but these people may be looking at an auto signed by Charlotte or Francis Cobb instead of Ty. Yes, that's the bottom line.

...Rick

JerseyInk
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Wait..did you just compare eletricians who put their hands on what they're fixing to authenticators??? Smh. Done here.

NY Sports Teams
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Wait..did you just compare eletricians who put their hands on what they're fixing to authenticators??? Smh. Done here.

Negative, I'm comparing paying for a service. If I pay for a service I EXPECT it to be right. I'm not tolerant when it comes to mistakes. My whole adult life I've had a job that ONE mistake can cost me my life or someone else theirs. If these Bozo's don't notice that an autograph has a name misspelled that is pitiful, smh.

When someone pays for their service they are paying for an opinion. Here's my opinion and I'll give it for free. They are a bunch of clowns, too many of them and not enough circuses. You can go right ahead and believe that they "get it right more so than none" and I'll keep believing that those auto's were signed by Cobb's wife whenever I see one of their authentications.

...Rick

EDIT: You have the right to believe that the auto's are genuine and I have the right to believe that the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are real.

letsgocapitals
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/mantle-williams-and-dimaggio?amp%3Bxg_source=activity&id=3524372%3ATopic%3A75799&page=56#comments

Good read here...

NY Sports Teams
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes, definitely a good read. I forgot to mention DiMaggio with Mantle and Ted Williams. I believe they are the top 3 for forged graphs.

...Rick