PDA

View Full Version : If Jesus were in America today....

JustAlex
07-18-2012, 12:43 AM
He would see a country that is SUPPOSEDLY 70-80% "christian", but cares more about making profits than helping out the poor, sick, and needy...

He would see a political party that claims to be about "family values" and "Christian morality" deny its citizens universal health care and pander to the rich while shunning minorities and gays.

He would see an unbelievable disparity in the wealth and social gap, he would probably wonder WHY doesn't the ultra rich do more to make a better society for all instead of making themselves so much money that they could NEVER spend it all in their lifetime.

Today's America is the equivalent to Iron Pyrite.....that's not to say it was better before, but it has fooled millions into thinking that we are the "good guys", and we are "the best".

Jesus cared for all humans, he wanted equality for all, he asked for nothing in return, he shunned riches, he healed everyone without asking for a penny, he did NOT judge, he went AGAINST the establishment, and he preached love and tolerance.

If Jesus were in America today, he would surely be ashamed....

AUTaxMan
07-18-2012, 01:03 AM
What is the point of this post? You make some pretty wild generalizations that have no real factual basis.

JustAlex
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
What is the point of this post? You make some pretty wild generalizations that have no real factual basis.
But I do have factual statements.....they come from the bible which taught me what kind of man Jesus was.

And I have two perfectly working eyes to see how this country treats it's own citizens and how the current American capitalistic system has utterly failed.

theonedru
07-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Pretty much 100% of Christians would never actually follow the path of Jesus because they lack true faith, have little compassion for their fellow man and covet materialistic things way too much. Sad but true.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I agree wholeheartedely with justalex and theonedru. I would also add that Jesus would be dismayed at all of the people who commit acts of violence and hatred in his name.

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 08:45 AM
there wouldn't be any atheists, or democrats?

he would find that no matter how bad things on earth are, there are still those who try to do the right thing.
he would find his teachings have touched and influenced many.
he would find all the charity work being done.

and hopefully He would come over for some dinner at my place!

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
there wouldn't be any atheists, or democrats?

he would find that no matter how bad things on earth are, there are still those who try to do the right thing.
he would find his teachings have touched and influenced many.
he would find all the charity work being done.

and hopefully He would come over for some dinner at my place!

Im sure when Jesus comes back or if he was already here there wouldn't be that many if any atheists. I can't agree with you that there wouldn't be that many dems but I know that he would rebuke the current incarnation of the republican party and say they do not represent him or his teachings. Also make sure that you got plenty of veggies if you plan on cooking for Jesus because every knows that he is a vegetarian.

habsheaven
07-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure how Jesus showing himself is going to result in no Democrats or atheists? Will he be establishing a new party for the democrats to switch to? Are atheists not just going to assume he is just another Jesus wannabe? Are we going to see some miracles that TRULY defy the laws of nature? For that matter, are Americans just going to shun him for looking middle eastern?

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 09:12 AM
veggie, not only do I eat lots of fruits and veggies, but they are also all farm fresh!!!! plus I got some veggie dogs, hamburgers, and even veggie riblets!!!!

and how does the republicans represent jesus or who ever said they did?

just because you are for family, small government, individual responsibility, and hard work, does not mean you represent jesus

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure how Jesus showing himself is going to result in no Democrats or atheists? Will he be establishing a new party for the democrats to switch to? Are atheists not just going to assume he is just another Jesus wannabe? Are we going to see some miracles that TRULY defy the laws of nature? For that matter, are Americans just going to shun him for looking middle eastern?

I really don't think that he will form a new political party. He will tell both the dems and the republicans that they are both full of it and they need to work together for the betterment of society instead of trying to destroy it. Also that is a good point I do think that there will still be a lot of hateful people here that will shun him for being of middle eastern decent.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 09:22 AM
veggie, not only do I eat lots of fruits and veggies, but they are also all farm fresh!!!! plus I got some veggie dogs, hamburgers, and even veggie riblets!!!!

and how does the republicans represent jesus or who ever said they did?

just because you are for family, small government, individual responsibility, and hard work, does not mean you represent jesus

The republicans are also against health care for the masses, against paying their fair share of taxes as commanded by jesus in the bible, some republicans ignore the bible's teachings to love your brothers and sisters, as well as ignoring the commandment of thou shall not kill by engaging in uneccessary wars. Who would Jesus bomb if he were around today?

Also your food it sounds good I got to stop by one day for a veggie bbq.

shortking98
07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Veggie - Lk 24:41-43 states that Jesus ate fish at a minimum. Not sure how you feel though as I know there are differing thoughts on fish in a vegetarian diet

UNCrolltide4
07-18-2012, 09:43 AM
He would see a country that is SUPPOSEDLY 70-80% "christian", but cares more about making profits than helping out the poor, sick, and needy...

He would see a political party that claims to be about "family values" and "Christian morality" deny its citizens universal health care and pander to the rich while shunning minorities and gays.

He would see an unbelievable disparity in the wealth and social gap, he would probably wonder WHY doesn't the ultra rich do more to make a better society for all instead of making themselves so much money that they could NEVER spend it all in their lifetime.

Today's America is the equivalent to Iron Pyrite.....that's not to say it was better before, but it has fooled millions into thinking that we are the "good guys", and we are "the best".

Jesus cared for all humans, he wanted equality for all, he asked for nothing in return, he shunned riches, he healed everyone without asking for a penny, he did NOT judge, he went AGAINST the establishment, and he preached love and tolerance.

If Jesus were in America today, he would surely be ashamed....

Jesus already sees America how it is and he sees that not many people really care about helping the poor. He sees all this happening everyday and its not like he dont know about it. I say we are closer and closer to Jesus coming back. You see we have more natural disasters everyday and the Bible says natural disasters lead to him coming back.

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
veggie, you are welcome to eat at my house anytime (just let me clear it with my wife)

repubplicans are not against healthcare for the masses, we are just for you earning it, not everything being handed to you. for those with real disabilities, then sure somethings will need to be handed to them and always have been. being the average republican makes less than the averagee dem, i would rethink who is a not paying their fair share.
also being the top 20% pay nearly 85% of all taxes collected, i am unsure how they are not paying their fair share, seems like the 20% is paying for the 80%, but i am sure they want more, since it is free and not their money.

and how come obama has not pulled any troops if dems are for no wars? obama has also approved the killing of how many people?

there is nothing you can say about republicans that the dems are not just as guilty of.

and if jesus was here, there would be no need for miracles, it would be obvious who he was. he would not punish but cry for us all.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Veggie - Lk 24:41-43 states that Jesus ate fish at a minimum. Not sure how you feel though as I know there are differing thoughts on fish in a vegetarian diet

I have heard different interpretations on if he actually ate fish or not. I know one thing anyone who eats fish is not a vegetarian but I will leave that for the vegetarian discussion.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
veggie, you are welcome to eat at my house anytime (just let me clear it with my wife)

repubplicans are not against healthcare for the masses, we are just for you earning it, not everything being handed to you. for those with real disabilities, then sure somethings will need to be handed to them and always have been. being the average republican makes less than the averagee dem, i would rethink who is a not paying their fair share.
also being the top 20% pay nearly 85% of all taxes collected, i am unsure how they are not paying their fair share, seems like the 20% is paying for the 80%, but i am sure they want more, since it is free and not their money.

and how come obama has not pulled any troops if dems are for no wars? obama has also approved the killing of how many people?

there is nothing you can say about republicans that the dems are not just as guilty of.

and if jesus was here, there would be no need for miracles, it would be obvious who he was. he would not punish but cry for us all.

I don't know who brings in more the average r or dem but I do know this our elected dummies regardless of party as well as the big business are all laughing at us the common man while we argue over trivial matters like which political party is the best. Jesus would indeed cry for us all over that and all of our ways.

ensbergcollector
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
let me just say i hate when people pick and choose teachings of jesus to make a political point. Let me also say that I know full well that republicans have cornered the market on this and it ticks me off when they do it too. a few things we need to keep in mind:

first century israel cannot even be compared to america for a lot of reasons. It was unheard of then for someone who was fully capable of working to not work. Society would have stood by and let them starve. There is a reason the new testament was full of references to caring for widows, orphans, and those who were crippled (not able to work and provide for themselves). To take the idea that jesus healed the sick to mean that jesus would be for universal health care and welfare programs is ridiculously short sighted.

secondly, i will agree completely that jesus would be sickened by a lot of the wealthy today and how they have turned their eyes away from the needs of the poor.

no clue how someone can claim jesus was a vegetarian much less claim "everyone knows he was a vegetarian"

while jesus didn't judge or condemn, everyone he encountered who was living in sin, he commanded them to repent and leave their sin behind. Not sure how people can take that to mean he would have been supportive of the gay marriage movement. He would not have condemned homosexuals but he would also not have supported their lifestyle.

jesus would have been appalled at abortion and how widespread it is.

i agree that jesus would be appalled at our wars as well

habsheaven
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Since we are on the subject. What is the concensus on HOW Jesus will return to earth. Will he be born of another virgin birth? Does he just appear in our midst, like Schwartneggar? How will we know it is him, and not just a delusional fruitcake?

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
let me just say i hate when people pick and choose teachings of jesus to make a political point. Let me also say that I know full well that republicans have cornered the market on this and it ticks me off when they do it too. a few things we need to keep in mind:

first century israel cannot even be compared to america for a lot of reasons. It was unheard of then for someone who was fully capable of working to not work. Society would have stood by and let them starve. There is a reason the new testament was full of references to caring for widows, orphans, and those who were crippled (not able to work and provide for themselves). To take the idea that jesus healed the sick to mean that jesus would be for universal health care and welfare programs is ridiculously short sighted.

secondly, i will agree completely that jesus would be sickened by a lot of the wealthy today and how they have turned their eyes away from the needs of the poor.

no clue how someone can claim jesus was a vegetarian much less claim "everyone knows he was a vegetarian"

while jesus didn't judge or condemn, everyone he encountered who was living in sin, he commanded them to repent and leave their sin behind. Not sure how people can take that to mean he would have been supportive of the gay marriage movement. He would not have condemned homosexuals but he would also not have supported their lifestyle.

You are pretty much on point. We are going to have to agree to disagree on weather He was veg or not. I also think that He would not stand in the way of anyone having the legal right to get married but he would warn homosexuals that homosexuality is not the way of God and that God does not sanction nor does he recognize gay marriage.

UNCrolltide4
07-18-2012, 10:19 AM
You are pretty much on point. We are going to have to agree to disagree on weather He was veg or not. I also think that He would not stand in the way of anyone having the legal right to get married but he would warn homosexuals that homosexuality is not the way of God and that God does not sanction nor does he recognize gay marriage.

I agree 100%.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Since we are on the subject. What is the concensus on HOW Jesus will return to earth. Will he be born of another virgin birth? Does he just appear in our midst, like Schwartneggar? How will we know it is him, and not just a delusional fruitcake?

I doubt that he will be born again from a woman because he already done that. I also think that he will perform miracles to prove that He is indeed Jesus but like you allueded to earlier a lot of people will still have racial hangups because of his ethnicity. Oh well that is their loss.

ensbergcollector
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM

this might be a first. i think you and i agree. all things are possible!

i would be interested in hearing your thoughts on jesus being a vegetarian. mainly just because i haven't read anything that really said in one way or another so I have always proceeded that since at that time jewish people were not vegetarian, I had no reason to think jesus was.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
this might be a first. i think you and i agree. all things are possible!

i would be interested in hearing your thoughts on jesus being a vegetarian. mainly just because i haven't read anything that really said in one way or another so I have always proceeded that since at that time jewish people were not vegetarian, I had no reason to think jesus was.

Try these site for starters. www.jesusveg.com (http://www.jesusveg.com) http://jewishveg.com/ http://www.islamveg.com/

I know that you are neither muslim or jewish but the websites are all showing that in the big 3 the ideal diet for mankind is vegetarian.

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
veggie, I am unsure if Jesus was a vegetarian, but I do know he taught it doesn't matter what you eat, eat what is available to you.

i dout any miracles would be needed, jesus returning would e miraculous enough unto itself.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM
veggie, I am unsure if Jesus was a vegetarian, but I do know he taught it doesn't matter what you eat, eat what is available to you.

i dout any miracles would be needed, jesus returning would e miraculous enough unto itself.

He would have to do something to prove to the masses that he is indeed Jesus. Otherwise we just have another guy in the long list of them who claim that they are indeed the christ.

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
considering he will be descending from heaven, that should be enough.

habsheaven
07-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Where exactly is Heaven? What direction should I be looking in?

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Also how will we know when that occurs? Is there going to be some type of announcement? Will there be such a fracus that everone will stop what they are doing and know to look to the sky to see Him ascend to the earth?

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
habs, no need to look, you will see if we are all here in those times.

and heaven maybe on the other side of space, another dimension, or so small we can't see nor detect it.

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
veggie, yep, it would be like a large UFO landing on earth, we will all know, even if we aren't close to it.

habsheaven
07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Jay, that makes no sense. Everyone cannot see everything that drops out of the sky no matter how large it is.

JustAlex
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
To take the idea that jesus healed the sick to mean that jesus would be for universal health care and welfare programs is ridiculously short sighted.

You really think Jesus would be against the idea of giving every man, woman, and child the Health care they deserve?

Why is it so bad to have everyone pay a tax so that every citizen gets the health care they deserve?

Jesus would be thrilled to see every man and woman working together to help the less fortunate and the sick.....I don't see any down side in this, not a single one!

Europe and Canada are surely a better representation of what a society can do when everyone works together instead of not caring for others the way we do in America.

Jesus spoke nothing on Homosexuality, I don't know if Jesus would be for or against gay marriage or anything dealing with gays, but he definitely WOULD NOT shun them the way some christians do. He would love them equally and want them to be happy.

Agreed, you see....I might be pro-choice, but that doesn't mean I'm pro-abortion, I can clearly see that abortion is not a pretty thing and it must be a very sad thing when a woman decides to go through with it.

I forgot to mention the wars in the OP, the most powerful and richest nation in the world is absolutely obsessed with warfare and killing others, this is surely one of the biggest flaws this nation has.

Responses in bold.

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 04:59 PM
habs, this is the 21st century

also maybe the UFO would not be seen by all landing, but it would be a media frenzy and who's going to deny a 10 story robot with lazer eyes is not alien?

whether it is the sound of trumpets, the sun turning dark, the moon turning red, or hail fire raining down, i am quite positive we all will know. jesus won't be on a secret mission and the sight of God will be enough to change the minds of any and all skeptics.

the real issue would be world panic when people realized there was a Jesus and He is God

the issue I have with this scenario is if/when it happened there would be no free will, so it must be the end of all of us.

so whether he likes dems or not, or was happy with islam, would be the least of all our worries

ensbergcollector
07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
alex - again, you can't compare 1st century israel with current america. back then, there was no such thing as welfare or social programs and no, i do not think jesus would have been in favor of them. there is a reason that widows, orphans, and cripples are the only people in the entire new testament we are told to care for. Jesus would have absolutely wanted the rich to be giving to the less fortunate, but i believe that his definition of less fortunate and ours would be radically different.

habsheaven
07-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Jay, it is the 21st century but not all of mankind lives in the 21st century. Also there are still people out there that do not think you landed on the moon 43 years ago. It's never as simple as it seems. You know that.

habs, this is the 21st century

also maybe the UFO would not be seen by all landing, but it would be a media frenzy and who's going to deny a 10 story robot with lazer eyes is not alien?

whether it is the sound of trumpets, the sun turning dark, the moon turning red, or hail fire raining down, i am quite positive we all will know. jesus won't be on a secret mission and the sight of God will be enough to change the minds of any and all skeptics.

the real issue would be world panic when people realized there was a Jesus and He is God

the issue I have with this scenario is if/when it happened there would be no free will, so it must be the end of all of us.

so whether he likes dems or not, or was happy with islam, would be the least of all our worries

shrewsbury
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
habs, that would be a great saturday night live skit, Jesus returns, but no one believes Him and no matter what He does people think it is not real, so He just goes away shaking His head

ALADOG
07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
It is truly sad the distortions the anti-Christians will use to ba$tardize the Christian faith.

Wickabee
07-19-2012, 02:27 PM
habs, that would be a great saturday night live skit, Jesus returns, but no one believes Him and no matter what He does people think it is not real, so He just goes away shaking His head

Can't prove it, but it's been done. Don't know if it was SNL, but it's been done.

habsheaven
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Can't prove it, but it's been done. Don't know if it was SNL, but it's been done.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it was "SCTV" or a "Kids in the Hall" skit?

Wickabee
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it was "SCTV" or a "Kids in the Hall" skit?

Or MadTV or Almost Live!

*censored*
07-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Or Exit 57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RQWxGSo5s

drtom2005
07-21-2012, 06:09 PM

I do not really think so. I would just think he could be an advanced alien lifeform. Something like broadcasting to everyone on the earth their next major life event at the same time might help(who I am going to marry, when will I die, when will I have my first child?, etc). Although an extermely advance race that studied humans might be able to do it. Given us all the information at the same time about how to get into heaven. Stopping a few wars with a wave of hand. Some information on tech to go to different planets to colonize since we are his chosen people.

If God did a few of these things, I would be on my knees asking for forgiveness. I would spent the rest of my life repenting.