PDA

View Full Version : Chick fil a on being anti gay: Guilty as charged

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/chick-fil-a-cops-anti-gay-guilty-charged-company-president-article-1.1116841

*censored*
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
KFC is better anyway.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
KFC has more of a selection of veggies but chik fil a has the best french fries. Also why dosen't kfc offer their veggie burger in the united states. But getting back OT poor business decision by chik fil a. Non christians as well as those who don't have a problem with gay marriage did eat there. Congragulations on ticking off a large percentage of your clientel. Just like taxman said business are not people so they have no business making political statements. Not if they want to stay in business at least.

ensbergcollector
07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
KFC has more of a selection of veggies but chik fil a has the best french fries. Also why dosen't kfc offer their veggie burger in the united states. But getting back OT poor business decision by chik fil a. Non christians as well as those who don't have a problem with gay marriage did eat there. Congragulations on ticking off a large percentage of your clientel. Just like taxman said business are not people so they have no business making political statements. Not if they want to stay in business at least.

so you are ok with companies making political statements for gay marriage but if a company says something against you are all the sudden against companies making political statements?

i will stand by what i said in the oreo thread. i would prefer companies stay out of the political realm.

i wonder if all the people who said oreo had a right to say what they want will feel the same way when a company speaks a different opinion.

JustAlex
07-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Gay people should go into Chick-fil-a in mass numbers and hold hands or any other PDAs.

I would be really interested to see what the restaurants would do.

Wickabee
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
so you are ok with companies making political statements for gay marriage but if a company says something against you are all the sudden against companies making political statements?

i will stand by what i said in the oreo thread. i would prefer companies stay out of the political realm.

i wonder if all the people who said oreo had a right to say what they want will feel the same way when a company speaks a different opinion.

Absolutely. I said "who cares about a cookie" and now I'm saying "who cares about a chicken sandwich"

There's no Chik-Fil-A (what a stupid name) anywhere near me, so I can't say I'll still eat there, but it doesn't change the chances of my going there (like if I come across one, I'm not going to say, "I'm not eating there" for this particular reason)

theonedru
07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
" In an interview with the Baptist Press, Cathy said Chick-Fil-A is “very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit."

a corporate statement declaring that the purpose of Chick-Fil-A is “to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us,” Cathy told the Baptist Press that it isn’t a Christian business."

Call me confused but it seems they are a Christian business..... Oh well their stupidity really but in general no one will care people will still go and eat there ignorant as to what they are supporting.

mrveggieman
07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Chick fil a has every legal right to feel the way that they do. I also support and defend their right to do so. However I still think their stance is distasteful not to mention a poor business decision ticking off a large percentage of potential customers.

boba
07-19-2012, 12:23 AM
I have a smile on my face right now. Oh the double standards :sign0202:

JustAlex
07-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I guess you're referring to the Oreos thing, right?

Just so you know, I believe most people here would STILL eat at Chick-Fil-A.....Myself included.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A.....there's ONE in my town and it's more than 10 miles away.

But if I did eat at Chick-Fil-A and I later found out that they were anti-gay, I would still eat there.

BlackDiam0nd66
07-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I think they are whacko (just from their quotes in the article) but they do have their right to think/feel/say whatever they want. I have a bunch of friends who want to go protest and get all loud and rowdy about it. Meh...whatever...that's their right to do as well (as long as there is no violence, destroying of personal property, etc).

Who they choose to give their money to is also their right. I absolutely, 1000% do NOT agree with them, but I am also not going to get all up in arms and freaked out either. No matter what someone believes, I think they should stand up for that belief, even in the face of protest UNLESS the message or belief they have incites violence.

Have taken quite the amount of crap from a few of my friends who have decided that I am not being *true* to *my people* ...whatever....just because I am gay does NOT mean that I have to get all up in arms. Freedom of speech is more important to me than worrying about what my *friends* may think.

mrveggieman
07-19-2012, 08:02 AM

I don't know what double standard you are referring to. None of us on here as far as I know are going to stop eating at chick fil a. As for me I don't eat that much from there to start with since they are a chicken restaurant and I am a vegetarian. Getting back to the original story the management of chick fil a has every right to feel the way they want and support the causes they do. However I feel that they are making a poor business decision alienating a potential customer base by supporting anti gay causes. Oreo cookies on the other hand are simply saying that they support everyone having equal rights. I'm not sure where you are getting a double standard from.

habsheaven
07-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Is the product they sell good? If so, I would eat there. I couldn't care less about their stance on gay marriage. I would even treat my gay daughter to a meal there if we were hungry.

mrveggieman
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Is the product they sell good? If so, I would eat there. I couldn't care less about their stance on gay marriage. I would even treat my gay daughter to a meal there if we were hungry.

I would run through a wall for their waffle fries. Their brownies are pretty good too. Other than that everything else is either chicken or milkshakes none of which I eat so I cant make any reccomendation.

ensbergcollector
07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't know what double standard you are referring to. None of us on here as far as I know are going to stop eating at chick fil a. As for me I don't eat that much from there to start with since they are a chicken restaurant and I am a vegetarian. Getting back to the original story the management of chick fil a has every right to feel the way they want and support the causes they do. However I feel that they are making a poor business decision alienating a potential customer base by supporting anti gay causes. Oreo cookies on the other hand are simply saying that they support everyone having equal rights. I'm not sure where you are getting a double standard from.

i think we agree but i am a little confused. so chick-fil-a made a bad decision by alienating potential customers but orea was making a good decision? both made polarizing statements that could alienate potential customers regardless of which side you are on. IMO anyway

mrveggieman
07-19-2012, 10:27 AM
i think we agree but i am a little confused. so chick-fil-a made a bad decision by alienating potential customers but orea was making a good decision? both made polarizing statements that could alienate potential customers regardless of which side you are on. IMO anyway

It's real simple. Oreo is saying that all are welcome and they support everyone's right to get married and live their life as they see fit. Chick fil a is saying that they are against gay people having all of the same legal rights, priviliges and responsibilities as a straight person would. It's a pretty simple concept.

duane1969
07-19-2012, 10:55 AM
KFC is better anyway.

Agreed.

Gay people should go into Chick-fil-a in mass numbers and hold hands or any other PDAs.

I would be really interested to see what the restaurants would do.

It is a private business on private property. They would simply call the police and have them removed.

Chick fil a has every legal right to feel the way that they do. I also support and defend their right to do so. However I still think their stance is distasteful not to mention a poor business decision ticking off a large percentage of potential customers.

The gay population in America is estimated at 4 million. That is .012% of the population. Logically, straights comprise 99.998% of the population. That doesn't seem like much of a risk to me.

I realize that there are a lot of people who are straight and support gay rights, but let's be honest, if you are alienating a percentage of the population then alienating the straight percentage is a much greater risk than alienating the gay population. There just aren't that many gay people and people who support gay rights enough to boycott Chi-Fil-A that it is that much of a risk.

boba
07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
You guys where surprised at all the hateful comments on the oreo status, just look at Chick-fil-a's newest status. Why is it hate when against gays and not when against Christians?

mrveggieman
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's the latests on the chick fil a controversy:

http://www.ajc.com/news/chick-fil-a-president-1480243.html

boba
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I think they are whacko (just from their quotes in the article) but they do have their right to think/feel/say whatever they want. I have a bunch of friends who want to go protest and get all loud and rowdy about it. Meh...whatever...that's their right to do as well (as long as there is no violence, destroying of personal property, etc).

Who they choose to give their money to is also their right. I absolutely, 1000% do NOT agree with them, but I am also not going to get all up in arms and freaked out either. No matter what someone believes, I think they should stand up for that belief, even in the face of protest UNLESS the message or belief they have incites violence.

Have taken quite the amount of crap from a few of my friends who have decided that I am not being *true* to *my people* ...whatever....just because I am gay does NOT mean that I have to get all up in arms. Freedom of speech is more important to me than worrying about what my *friends* may think.

What did they say that would indicate they are whacko?

ensbergcollector
07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
It's real simple. Oreo is saying that all are welcome and they support everyone's right to get married and live their life as they see fit. Chick fil a is saying that they are against gay people having all of the same legal rights, priviliges and responsibilities as a straight person would. It's a pretty simple concept.

except you were referring to what is a bad business decision. there are just as many people who are strongly against gay marriage as those who are for it. so from a business standpoint, i'm not sure why one is a bad decision while the other is good.

like i have said, i would prefer all businesses keep their political statements to themselves but...

ensbergcollector
07-19-2012, 11:21 AM
having reread the article can anyone show me a single line where someone associated with chick-fil-a says they are anti-gay? I see them saying they support traditional marriage, but last i checked that doesn't equal being anti-gay.

boba
07-19-2012, 11:25 AM
I love the change in tone from this thread
http://www.sportscardforum.com/threads/1686686-I-guess-that-just-means-more-Oreos-for-the-rest-of-us/page2?highlight=oreo

to this one. Seems like the general consonance was poor oreo and gay people, Christians are so hateful because of some comments that were made on facebook. And now on the other side, the same people don't seem to care about the hate chickfila is getting...

mrveggieman
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
except you were referring to what is a bad business decision. there are just as many people who are strongly against gay marriage as those who are for it. so from a business standpoint, i'm not sure why one is a bad decision while the other is good.

like i have said, i would prefer all businesses keep their political statements to themselves but...

Agree with your last point. If I were running a business my motto would be all are welcome regardless of race, religion, gender, nationality, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or any other trivial matter.

Wickabee
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Oreo's was a message of acceptance.
Chik Fil A's was a message of exclusion.
So I do see the difference there. However, I said Oreo was a cookie so get over it, so I'll now say this is a chicken sandwich, get over it.

AUTaxMan
07-19-2012, 04:21 PM
KFC is better anyway.

No. Not close, but it's also a different type of restaurant. It would be like saying McDonald's is better than CFA. Actually, CFA is probably closer to McDs than KFC.

pwaldo
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Is this the company that is closed on Sunday for religious reasons? If so then this shouldn't be a surprise that they took this stance.

AUTaxMan
07-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Is this the company that is closed on Sunday for religious reasons? If so then this shouldn't be a surprise that they took this stance.

Yes. I don't understand the outrage.

Wickabee
07-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes. I don't understand the outrage.

Just like many didn't understand the outrage over Oreo's facebook page.

BlackDiam0nd66
07-20-2012, 04:21 AM
@ boba:

I find the following quote to be completely (in my opinion) contradictory (which I find whacko):

Despite a corporate statement declaring that the purpose of Chick-Fil-A is “to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us,” Cathy told the Baptist Press that it isn’t a Christian business.
Christianity “is about a personal relationship,” he said. “Companies are not lost or saved, but certainly individuals are. But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles.”

*Shrugs* Just my opinion.

Also, I do find it interesting that they are now back peddling a bit. This is from their twitter feed 17 hours ago:

"Our mission is to create raving fans; we plan to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the political arena."

I guess something made them change their tune.

sobersoul
07-20-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't eat there, because we don't have any in Minnesota. I try to avoid Hobby Lobby because they are a "christian" based business, but I still go there from time to time.

angel0430
07-20-2012, 08:15 AM
This is their opinion and I will respect it. Their food is pretty good.

ensbergcollector
07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't eat there, because we don't have any in Minnesota. I try to avoid Hobby Lobby because they are a "christian" based business, but I still go there from time to time.

any particular reason you avoid stores that are "christian based"?

mrveggieman
07-20-2012, 10:28 AM

I never shopped there either. Not for religious or political reasons but I wasn't really sure if they would have anything I would be interested in. Dumb question but do they have a decent selction of sports memorbillia related items?

ensbergcollector
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I never shopped there either. Not for religious or political reasons but I wasn't really sure if they would have anything I would be interested in. Dumb question but do they have a decent selction of sports memorbillia related items?

not so much but they do have a great section for cases like shadowboxes, jersey frames, etc.

mrveggieman
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
not so much but they do have a great section for cases like shadowboxes, jersey frames, etc.

Ok cool. I thought that I went there before and didn't see anything that I liked but that was a few years ago and I could have been mistaken. I will try the local hobby lobby near my house. I haven't been to that one before.