PDA

View Full Version : Is copper a good investment

1of23
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't know much about coins,metals, and such I just know they are rising in value. I have recently started buying silver and was wondering if copper was a good invstment. Seems you can get it VERY Cheap

pwaldo
07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't know if it is a good investment or not but it was more expensive before. It is now down off of its highs.

angel0430
07-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I think the safest ones are gold and silver.

palmdesertcards
07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
i can tell you that ever 1982 or earlier penny is actually worth 2.5 cents in copper, too bad its illegal to melt. people are hoarding these in case they are able to be melted in the future. 2.5x face value is pretty dang good.

pootshwan
07-26-2012, 11:17 PM
i can tell you that ever 1982 or earlier penny is actually worth 2.5 cents in copper, too bad its illegal to melt. people are hoarding these in case they are able to be melted in the future. 2.5x face value is pretty dang good.

I save all mine pre-1982. No reason to spend something WORTH 2.5 times it's face value.

Steve

jessejordan419
07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't know much about coins,metals, and such I just know they are rising in value. I have recently started buying silver and was wondering if copper was a good invstment. Seems you can get it VERY Cheap

Buy all you can afford, along with silver, and gold if you can trade items for it. Copper and silver, because of their industrial uses, are only estimated to have about 25 years left before they run out. This may or may not be true, but regardless, once the chinese economy picks back up they will be buying the bulk of the copper. That is why the price spiked a few years ago and people were even stealing live electricity lines right off the poles, and stealing a/c units from churches.

Here is the cheapest way to hoard copper. Start taking pennies from 1981 and earlier out of circulation and hoard them. They are pure copper. Pennies from halfway through 1982 and newer are mostly other metals.

When I buy copper bars, I look for the cheapest deal. You could try to buy copper bus bars from electrical supply warehouses, they may be cheaper and are pure copper(I think). On Ebay, this is where I buy my copper bars from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-BRAND-NEW-2012-POUND-999-COPPER-BULLION-BAR-INGOTS-10-STYLE-INVESTMENT-LOT-/110889160845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d182508d#ht_942wt_1037

At that price with free shipping you're paying $7.20 per pound. Remember, the price they give on the market is for scrap price. That is what they give you at the scrap dealer when you bring in pure copper. If it is a/c coils, they give you a much lower price. Copper is different from silver and gold because silver and gold are dealt around the spot price. The dealers buy for a price under spot, and sell for a price over spot. That is how they make their money.

PM me if you have any questions, I've been buying silver since it was $11 /ounce and NOW is the time to buy. The Fed is meeting in August instead of September because they will have to print more money again(QE3). When they do this, the price of gold and silver will skyrocket again. Copper is different because it is not money like gold and silver. Copper rises with the economy, and falls with the economy. I don't expect the economy to recover for a very long time, so hoarding copper pennies is the safest and cheapest way to go right now.

But buy silver and gold now before it goes up significantly this fall!