PDA

View Full Version : Ice-T does not think tighter gun laws will prevent mass shootings.

mrveggieman
07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ice-t-defends-carry-guns-tighter-laws-prevent-mass-shootings-article-1.1120715

I got one word for Ice T.....

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

AUTaxMan
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
He is correct. Criminals will get guns no matter what.

shrewsbury
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
that's a no brainer, didn't take a genius like ice t to figure it out

duane1969
07-24-2012, 01:47 PM
that's a no brainer, didn't take a genius like ice t to figure it out

No, but with every radical gun-owner-hating liberal in Hollywood jumping on a soapbox to protest the "evil guns" all of the time it is nice to occasionally see that someone in Hollywood isn't an full-blown blubbering idiot with no idea of what they are talking about.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QKUo4DEe9Xc/T7qZ0n1hr9I/AAAAAAAALG8/0yDo6CipfAk/s1600/TJo1x.jpg

Wickabee
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I think it's funny that the people who commit these sorts of crimes are usually after attention in some form for some reason and, all while knowing this, the media give them the attention they crave by reporting on it for days/weeks/months and we the public give it to them by watching and having to have the latest updates, not caring that it gives them what they wanted in the first place AND leads to misinformation being spread (like the Tea Party bit on ABC).

Maybe if we stopped giving these people exactly what they're looking for when they kill all these people and started giving more praise for good things that are done instead these types of crimes will finally stop. If something like this warrants 2-3 nights of basic coverage, it won't be worth it to commit the crime for attention.

Of course, the media will never stop reporting on these and we will never stop lapping it up, forcing more coverage, so these kinds of killings wil continue forever.

Maybe funny is the wrong word...sad and pathetic. I think it's sad and pathetic and I'm as guilty as anyone.

mrveggieman
07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it's funny that the people who commit these sorts of crimes are usually after attention in some form for some reason and, all while knowing this, the media give them the attention they crave by reporting on it for days/weeks/months and we the public give it to them by watching and having to have the latest updates, not caring that it gives them what they wanted in the first place AND leads to misinformation being spread (like the Tea Party bit on ABC).

Maybe if we stopped giving these people exactly what they're looking for when they kill all these people and started giving more praise for good things that are done instead these types of crimes will finally stop. If something like this warrants 2-3 nights of basic coverage, it won't be worth it to commit the crime for attention.

Of course, the media will never stop reporting on these and we will never stop lapping it up, forcing more coverage, so these kinds of killings wil continue forever.

Maybe funny is the wrong word...sad and pathetic. I think it's sad and pathetic and I'm as guilty as anyone.

If they want attention then fine give it to them. I say that we televise live their tourture and execution.

Wickabee
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
If they want attention then fine give it to them. I say that we televise live their tourture and execution.

That doesn't prevent it, that is pure retribution. Capital punishment is not a deterrent, especially for someone with the presumable mental issues the people who carry out these shooting would have. Your comment is shortsighted and purely vengeful at best.

duane1969
07-24-2012, 02:47 PM
That doesn't prevent it, that is pure retribution. Capital punishment is not a deterrent, especially for someone with the presumable mental issues the people who carry out these shooting would have. Your comment is shortsighted and purely vengeful at best.

As far as I am concerned, capital punishment is not intended as a deterent. It is a punishment. When you take a life you pay for it with your own.

Wickabee
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
As far as I am concerned, capital punishment is not intended as a deterent. It is a punishment. When you take a life you pay for it with your own.

True enough, but we're talking about preventing this sort of thing, not punishing the perpetrators. If you want these killings to continue and you're happy just adding 1 more to the death toll then whatever, but you won't prevent a single one of these killings by simply killing whoever does it.

mrveggieman
07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
True enough, but we're talking about preventing this sort of thing, not punishing the perpetrators. If you want these killings to continue and you're happy just adding 1 more to the death toll then whatever, but you won't prevent a single one of these killings by simply killing whoever does it.

Duane bought up a good point yesterday. He said that there has never been a case of a person who has been executed ever committing another crime. If that is not enough of a deterent then I don't know what is.

Wickabee
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Duane bought up a good point yesterday. He said that there has never been a case of a person who has been executed ever committing another crime. If that is not enough of a deterent then I don't know what is.

Well, obviously it deters further crime, but only from that one person and 12 people are still dead. Why are you more worried about punishing for what's been done than preventing THE NEXT PERSON from doing it. You guys are really missing the entire issue here, not just the point.

cardmasters
07-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I hate guns and don't want to ban guns because it is proven that if you ban guns, crimes go up not down. (I think it was a place in austria but can't remember) Plus the guy had explosives and that's 100% illegal.

Wickabee
07-24-2012, 03:19 PM
I hate guns and don't want to ban guns because it is proven that if you ban guns, crimes go up not down. (I think it was a place in austria but can't remember) Plus the guy had explosives and that's 100% illegal.

Which is why gun control is not the answer in a case like this. Gun control should still be in the conversation, but this is a social problem, not one of law.

duane1969
07-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Well, obviously it deters further crime, but only from that one person and 12 people are still dead. Why are you more worried about punishing for what's been done than preventing THE NEXT PERSON from doing it. You guys are really missing the entire issue here, not just the point.

I do not want to punish more than I want to deter, but the reality is that you can not deter things like this. It is impossible to use logical thinking and reasonable efforts to prevent people from doing illogical and unreasonable things. There is no preventing these types of occurences.

Actually you need to look no further than Chicago to see the absurdity of strict gun laws. Even though they have had some of the strictest gun laws of any city in America for a very long time Chicago has historically had a murder rate that is 2x-3x as high as cities like NYC and D.C. Taking guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens does nothing but ensure that the criminals don't have to worry much about getting shot when they rape, rob and murder innocent people.

Wickabee
07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
I do not want to punish more than I want to deter, but the reality is that you can not deter things like this. It is impossible to use logical thinking and reasonable efforts to prevent people from doing illogical and unreasonable things. There is no preventing these types of occurences.

So what you're saying is helping people with mental issues, which someone would have to commit a crime like this, does absolutely nothing. Every psychiatrist, psychotherapist and anyone else in the industry is useless? Drugs meant to help chemical imbalances do nothing? I don't believe that for a second.

There's also the fact that we're giving them EXACTLY what they want, whether they die in the end or not. Why reward them before they die. It just means they die happy, knowing they've accomplished what they have to know would be their last real act on this earth. I agree that in a case like Columbine where they killed themselves onsite immediately after blowing a bunch of people away, there is no answer. Gun control won't stop that and neither will any amount of therapists or societal change. However, this guy didn't kill himself. He wanted to see what would happen. He wanted his 15 minutes no matter how he got it and now that he has it, he can die happy, knowing he accomplished his "mission".

We are all guilty of REWARDING these acts. The fact they are going to be killed doesn't stop them, but if they knew they wouldn't get so much attention, they'd find another way to find it. Again, you're not just punishing the bad, you're rewarding it first, which sends a mixed message. The more attention we heap on this people and the less attention we pay to trying to help the mentally unbalanced, the more of these killings you'll see. Period.