PDA

View Full Version : Does the life of a woman have more worth than the life of a man?

JustAlex
07-25-2012, 01:13 AM
So, in the horrific tragedy from Colorado's shooting, there was a story that came out.....

Apparently, multiple boyfriends protected their girlfriends by taking bullets to save their lives.

here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS07FuHyiYs&feature=g-user-u

So, I thought it was a great story of how these guys gave the ultimate sacrifice to protect the girls they loved.

But I started to read the comments and something interesting caught my eye:

"Why didn't the girlfriends protect the boyfriends?"

Well, traditionally that's not the way this goes, the man protects the female even if it means death!

BUT WHY?

I thought women wanted to be treated as equals, I thought women didn't want to be treated as inferior or superior to males, is the ideology of "Chivalry" in some sort of way "Sexist"?

Think about it.....on the Titanic they said "Women and Children first", I agree with the Children because they're still young and their chances of survival would be low compared to an adult.

But the concept here is (IMO) that the life of a women is worth more or at least should be given priority over a man......and it's not just the Titanic scenario, in many emergency "life or death" situations the 'Traditional' method is to save women and children first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_children_first

So, any thoughts?

Rowdy Gentleman
07-25-2012, 03:00 AM
I agree with you.

Society says the Guy must protect the woman. I would protect my loved one with my life aswell though, because after all she is my loved one.

mrveggieman
07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
I feel what ya'll are saying. However if I had the chance to lay down my life to save the life of another regardless of gender and I didn't or if someone regardless of gender laid down their life for me I wouldn't be able to live with myself. If that was me I would have laid down my life to protect my wife, mother, sister, you or anyone else for that matter.

mrveggieman
07-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I also believe that if you lay down your life to save the life of someone else you will go to heaven regardless of what religion you follow. That is not something that christanity teaches but something I believe in my heart. If anyone has a problem with that then too bad.

pr0phet
07-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I originally read this article and I would do the same thing for my fiancee. But it doesn't come down to value. It comes down to how our brains are wired. My fiancee and I are discussing these things regularly(how each gender thinks) and she has told me that for her, it comes down to taking care of the one she loves where I have said that I will keep her protected from danger.

angel0430
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
I believe that it is more of a natural reaction that the man protects the female and that she will not react the same way. This is the reason that there are no females in special forces. If a female and a guy is captured, they are going to start torturing the female first to make the guy talk. It is instict to protect a female becuase in pretty much everyones eyes they are more fragile. So whoever is saying that their life is more valuable, theya re wrong. They have the same value, it is more instintc than anything else

pghin08
07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Exactly, it's just instinct. Built into our brains.

habsheaven
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes, it has nothing to do with value and more to do with our values. Just as I would protect my wife (or any other female) in a similar circumstance, I suspect my wife would do the same for our children.

Rowdy Gentleman
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Being a woman does have benefits. Who buys the drinks? The dates? The food? The clothes? Etc.

boba
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I think you all know that I believe in the Bible by now, so I believe that God put this instinct in us.

Don't get me wrong with this next point as I know there are many women that are stronger then I am, can bench more then my 200 pound max and everything haha. But I believe as a whole, God created men to be stronger and more able to protect their wife.

So to sum up, with a Biblical point of view, I believe that God made it this way.

Btw :sign0087: and I'm interested what so see what other peoples opinions are on this topic.

JustAlex
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
"Instinct"....I guess this is a good way to understand why men choose to give up their lives for a loved female.

But, what about the "women and children first" tradition in emergencies?

Why are women first?

Is it because they are generally weaker than men and thus men have a better shot of survival?

duane1969
07-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I see where you are coming from and I agree to some extent. Women want equal and fair treatment so using that as a measuring stick then women should not expect special treatment because they are female.

Much like veggie said, I would be inclined to come to the defense of anyone that I saw in danger regardless of gender. However, I would be more inclined to come to the defense of a random woman than a random man. For me, it is based in my conservative values that were taught to me by my parents. If I had been raised in a liberal home where men did not open the door for women, allow women to get their food first at dinner, take a woman's hand as she gets out of a car or pull the car up for her in a storm, then I might be more inclined to expect a woman to fend for herself. Thankfully my parents raised me to be a gentleman and chivalrous. If that makes me sexist, so be it. I would rather be sexist and make 1000 women happy and offend the occasional liberal-minded woman than be liberal and offend 1000 women to make that occasional one woman happy.

habsheaven
07-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I see where you are coming from and I agree to some extent. Women want equal and fair treatment so using that as a measuring stick then women should not expect special treatment because they are female.

Much like veggie said, I would be inclined to come to the defense of anyone that I saw in danger regardless of gender. However, I would be more inclined to come to the defense of a random woman than a random man. For me, it is based in my conservative values that were taught to me by my parents. If I had been raised in a liberal home where men did not open the door for women, allow women to get their food first at dinner, take a woman's hand as she gets out of a car or pull the car up for her in a storm, then I might be more inclined to expect a woman to fend for herself. Thankfully my parents raised me to be a gentleman and chivalrous. If that makes me sexist, so be it. I would rather be sexist and make 1000 women happy and offend the occasional liberal-minded woman than be liberal and offend 1000 women to make that occasional one woman happy.

Well it's apparent you weren't raised in a "liberal" home because you have no clue how "liberals" raise their children. Manners and chilvary are not exclusive to conservatives. My parents raised me RIGHT, even if my politics lean to the left.

shrewsbury
07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
habs, you are now right and left? dang canadians!!!!!!!!!!

Theodor Madison
07-26-2012, 01:04 AM
From what I understand, there was a man that jumped and left his girlfriend and 6 month baby in the theater. Waited for her later just to propose marriage and she agreed.

She was saved by a bystander who took a shot in the leg.