PDA

View Full Version : Greek athlete removed from olympics for making racist comments on twitter

mrveggieman
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--greek-triple-jumper-removed-from-olympic-team-after-making-racist-comments-on-twitter.html

angel0430
07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't believe that she made the comments because she was racist. I think that is was more as a bad taste joke. Would I banned her? Probably not.

mrveggieman
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't believe that she made the comments because she was racist. I think that is was more as a bad taste joke. Would I banned her? Probably not.

I would have got rid of her in a heart beat. They olympics is a forum to show the all the good in your country not to mention a money maker. Greece did not need the negative press and the potential backlash from letting this woman stay on the team.

duane1969
07-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I am confused as to what is racist about that comment. I thought racism was when you made fun of someone, excluded someone or harrassed some because of their race. I don't see where what she said was doing anything like that or targeting anyone for ridicule.

I swear, it has gotten to the point that people are so patheticly thin-skinned that if they even remotely think that something might kinda, sorta, in a roundabout way be ever so slightly racist then they have a freakin epileptic spasm attack and freak out.

boba
07-25-2012, 02:22 PM
You know what really makes me mad is this

"Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou was banished from the Olympic Games on Wednesday after making racist comments and expressing right-wing sentiments on Twitter."

What is right wing about
“With so many Africans in Greece … at least the West Nile mosquitos will eat homemade food!!!,”

Are they saying that racism is right winged? Did she say something other then this that was right winged? Im confused.

duane1969
07-25-2012, 02:29 PM
You know what really makes me mad is this

"Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou was banished from the Olympic Games on Wednesday after making racist comments and expressing right-wing sentiments on Twitter."

What is right wing about
“With so many Africans in Greece … at least the West Nile mosquitos will eat homemade food!!!,”

Are they saying that racism is right winged? Did she say something other then this that was right winged? Im confused.

It's a liberal thing. Right-wing/conservative = Racists...Racist = Right-wing/conservative. It's part of that whole open-minded, non-judgemental, non-labeling thing that liberals like to claim about themselves, but it really isn't.

shrewsbury
07-25-2012, 02:33 PM
if you can be anti gay for not liking the idea of gay marriage, pretty much anything goes.

it is crazy how the whole PC crap goes

mrveggieman
07-25-2012, 02:40 PM
I am confused as to what is racist about that comment. I thought racism was when you made fun of someone, excluded someone or harrassed some because of their race. I don't see where what she said was doing anything like that or targeting anyone for ridicule.

I swear, it has gotten to the point that people are so patheticly thin-skinned that if they even remotely think that something might kinda, sorta, in a roundabout way be ever so slightly racist then they have a freakin epileptic spasm attack and freak out.

Really Duane? Do we really need to go there? I remember a while back I made a comment about a black politician who was not acting in the best intrests of her community (I am black also incase anyone didn't know) that was no where near as bad as what this woman said and all the conservatives accused me of being a racist bigot. Now this woman comes out with racially insensitive tweets and you and all the other conservatives are ok with it. Don't be a hypocrite Duane.

Wickabee
07-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Quiet, Monday.
(see what I did there? CALLBACK!)

Anyway, I do think you're right. What gets me is that a white guy will be beaten with a brick stick for using the N word or making racist comments, but any other race can scream honky cracker at the top of their lungs and it's no problem. It comes down mostly to white guilt, I guess, but it's really, really stupid. A lot of people need to get over themselves.

It's a liberal thing. Right-wing/conservative = Racists...Racist = Right-wing/conservative. It's part of that whole open-minded, non-judgemental, non-labeling thing that liberals like to claim about themselves, but it really isn't.
Do you consider yourself open-minded, non-judgmental and non-labeling? Or are you open about you closed-minded, judgmental labeling? This liberal agreed with you...until now...

habsheaven
07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I was about to comment on this then I decided to get the whole story first. The joke itself isn't racist. The problem is she re-tweeted comments and youtube videos from an extreme right wing (neo-nazi) party - Golden Dawn. So all you conservatives can calm down now and save your attack on the liberal media for later, when it may be warranted.

Wickabee
07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
I was about to comment on this then I decided to get the whole story first. The joke itself isn't racist. The problem is she re-tweeted comments and youtube videos from an extreme right wing (neo-nazi) party - Golden Dawn. So all you conservatives can calm down now and save your attack on the liberal media for later, when it may be warranted.

Meh, that's just a conservative thing. They scream liberal this and liberal media that without even going so far as to watch 3 seconds past the clip FOXNews plays for 5 hours on a loop. Then they all grab cash from their bank accounts and buy gas guzzling Hummers to strap their dogs to and go to a foreign country and puke on the leader just to start a war for oil so they can ship jobs overseas and avoid their taxes, getting richer while the poor get poorer creating a polarized class system and then turn around like hypocrites and accuse liberals of creating class warfare. Then the go step on kitten faces while cheating on their fifth wives with a black hooker named Tyrone before going to protest homosexuality. Then they go home and abuse their illegal Mexican housekeeper, gardener and cook before going to Mitt Romney's private South Pacific island to hunt the most dangerous game...

MAN!

And they all do this. Every single one. Not one Conservative doesn't do this.
Right Duane? Something like that?

shrewsbury
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
wickabee,

I can't believe you just told them all my secrets!!! I think you might get kicked out of the cool club, or at least my vote will be against you!!!!

theonedru
07-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Really Duane? Do we really need to go there? I remember a while back I made a comment about a black politician who was not acting in the best intrests of her community (I am black also incase anyone didn't know) that was no where near as bad as what this woman said and all the conservatives accused me of being a racist bigot. Now this woman comes out with racially insensitive tweets and you and all the other conservatives are ok with it. Don't be a hypocrite Duane.

It is not even more RACIST and HYPOCRITICAL to automatically make the assumption that every African is black .. There are other races in Africa.... Racism is a two way street

duane1969
07-25-2012, 09:49 PM

You were using language that is racist. I believe some of the terms were Uncle Tom and house "negro" (you did not use the word negro or the other word but you made it clear that you meant the other word). What this girl said may or may not have been meant in a racist manner, but saying that mosquitoes with West Nile virus will be eating "home cooking" if they bite an African is not intrinsically racist.

Quiet, Monday.
(see what I did there? CALLBACK!)

Anyway, I do think you're right. What gets me is that a white guy will be beaten with a brick stick for using the N word or making racist comments, but any other race can scream honky cracker at the top of their lungs and it's no problem. It comes down mostly to white guilt, I guess, but it's really, really stupid. A lot of people need to get over themselves.

Do you consider yourself open-minded, non-judgmental and non-labeling? Or are you open about you closed-minded, judgmental labeling? This liberal agreed with you...until now...

I used to make an effort to be open-minded, willing to consider other people's perspectives and generally a middle-of-the-road guy, but after years and years of having self-righteous liberals pass judgement on me and label me because of my personal beliefs and morals I have grown tired of being tolerant of them. A person can only take so much hypocritcal snobbery before they cry foul. Me being against gay marriage doesn't make me anymore a radical anti-gay than a liberal being pro-choice makes them a radical baby killer, yet if I openly express my views some nutjob liberal will ride in on their white horse to point the finger at me and ridicule and label me. I have turned the other cheek for the last time.

Meh, that's just a conservative thing. They scream liberal this and liberal media that without even going so far as to watch 3 seconds past the clip FOXNews plays for 5 hours on a loop. Then they all grab cash from their bank accounts and buy gas guzzling Hummers to strap their dogs to and go to a foreign country and puke on the leader just to start a war for oil so they can ship jobs overseas and avoid their taxes, getting richer while the poor get poorer creating a polarized class system and then turn around like hypocrites and accuse liberals of creating class warfare. Then the go step on kitten faces while cheating on their fifth wives with a black hooker named Tyrone before going to protest homosexuality. Then they go home and abuse their illegal Mexican housekeeper, gardener and cook before going to Mitt Romney's private South Pacific island to hunt the most dangerous game...

MAN!

And they all do this. Every single one. Not one Conservative doesn't do this.
Right Duane? Something like that?

LOL that made me laugh. We do not step on kittens. However we have been known to shoot Bambi...

It is not even more RACIST and HYPOCRITICAL to automatically make the assumption that every African is black .. There are other races in Africa.... Racism is a two way street

Stop being logical!!! Your fellow liberals will hate you for it.

tpeichel
07-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Free speech is not an Olympic ideal. Everyone must toe the PC line or suffer the consequences.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
You were using language that is racist. I believe some of the terms were Uncle Tom and house "negro" (you did not use the word negro or the other word but you made it clear that you meant the other word). What this girl said may or may not have been meant in a racist manner, but saying that mosquitoes with West Nile virus will be eating "home cooking" if they bite an African is not intrinsically racist.

I know that I shouldn't ask this here of all places but I guess that I will. How is it racist for one black person to call out another black person for doing a disservice to their community but it is ok for a non african person to make racially insensitive tweets about africans not to mention re-tweet quote from the neo nazi party?

JustAlex
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
YEP!

And good to see the Greeks do the correct action in banning this woman from the games, it would've been a shame on their country to have her as a representative.

@Duane.....Really, you don't understand why MOST racists are usually right wing?

Ever heard of a liberal KKK/nazi member?

The worst in American racism that is part of extreme liberals would probably be the black panther idiots.....and they're nowhere near as big as white supremacists who are majorly conservative and religious.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Are you trying to suggest that I believe that every person who lives in africa is black?

shrewsbury
07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
i often find a racist is a racist, a liberal is a liberal and a conservative a conservative, politics have nothing to do with race.

there are racist liberal who hide behind the liberal title and racist conservatives who hide behind the conservative title, but they are racists nonetheless.

blacks who say other blacks are sellouts are racist, you can be racist toward your own race. whites who say whites are holding blacks down are racist as well, nobody can hold anyone down in this country, that is what makes our country the best.

the prison population being 60% black is not do to racism but blacks blaming others rather than helping out their communities, when is the last time the lack panthers did anything positive for their community? I would guess around the same as when the KKK did anything positive ever.

but the black churches in these areas are trying to help these children only to find them not to be backed by those that should back them.

oberlin is an historically known place of helping all, we were a huge part of the underground railroad and our biggest celebration of the year in Juneteenth, a celebration of the end of slavery. also we celerate the oerlin/wellinton rescue where dozens of whites were jailed for standing up for black rights. we were one of the first to allow equal education of lacks, we have the first black college graduate, and first black college president.
blacks only make up 15% of the population in oberlin but are the ones who use 85% of the free programs, why? certainly not because of the white people holding them down.

pghin08
07-26-2012, 09:59 AM

No joke, the grocery store near my house is called "Golden Dawn". I'm kinda scared to go in there now.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
i often find a racist is a racist, a liberal is a liberal and a conservative a conservative, politics have nothing to do with race.

there are racist liberal who hide behind the liberal title and racist conservatives who hide behind the conservative title, but they are racists nonetheless.

blacks who say other blacks are sellouts are racist, you can be racist toward your own race. whites who say whites are holding blacks down are racist as well, nobody can hold anyone down in this country, that is what makes our country the best.

the prison population being 60% black is not do to racism but blacks blaming others rather than helping out their communities, when is the last time the lack panthers did anything positive for their community? I would guess around the same as when the KKK did anything positive ever.

but the black churches in these areas are trying to help these children only to find them not to be backed by those that should back them.

oberlin is an historically known place of helping all, we were a huge part of the underground railroad and our biggest celebration of the year in Juneteenth, a celebration of the end of slavery. also we celerate the oerlin/wellinton rescue where dozens of whites were jailed for standing up for black rights. we were one of the first to allow equal education of lacks, we have the first black college graduate, and first black college president.
blacks only make up 15% of the population in oberlin but are the ones who use 85% of the free programs, why? certainly not because of the white people holding them down.

I noticed that you didn't metion whites who call other whites who help out or are friends with blacks a "fill in the blank" lover. Do you consider those type of people racist as well?

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I noticed that you didn't metion whites who call other whites who help out or are friends with blacks a "fill in the blank" lover. Do you consider those type of people racist as well?

I think the only time that phrase has been used in the last 50 years was by that guy on the Chappelle Show.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I think the only time that phrase has been used in the last 50 years was by that guy on the Chappelle Show.

What world do you live in?

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 10:44 AM
What world do you live in?

One in the deep south (having lived in such historical bastions of racial equality as Montgomery, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and Mobile) in which I have never once in my life heard anyone utter that term.

habsheaven
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I've heard that term more times than I care to count veggieman. I'm wondering what world he is living in too.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 10:53 AM
One in the deep south (having lived in such historical bastions of racial equality as Montgomery, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and Mobile) in which I have never once in my life heard anyone utter that term.

I know people in Alabama but and they would tell me otherwise as well as white girls all over the country who were called that unflattering term for dating black guys. Again I don't know you on a personal level or anyone that you associate with but that is hard to believe that you have never heard that term in casual conversation around there.

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 01:00 PM
I used to make an effort to be open-minded, willing to consider other people's perspectives and generally a middle-of-the-road guy, but after years and years of having self-righteous liberals pass judgement on me and label me because of my personal beliefs and morals I have grown tired of being tolerant of them. A person can only take so much hypocritcal snobbery before they cry foul. Me being against gay marriage doesn't make me anymore a radical anti-gay than a liberal being pro-choice makes them a radical baby killer, yet if I openly express my views some nutjob liberal will ride in on their white horse to point the finger at me and ridicule and label me. I have turned the other cheek for the last time.

For what it's worth, I put no judgement on you for your views. I'm a liberal, you're a conservative and that's that. A liberal utopia would be just as bad as a conservative one and vice versa. How do I know this?
Because as bad as my fellow liberals (and many of them are really bad) are, conservatives have no problem stooping to the lowest level and then saying it's ok for them to do it because a liberal once did the same thing. That actually makes it worse because you know it's wrong.

So yeah, Absolutely no judgement on your views. Your penchant for acting acting as childish as the people you're against is a different story, but no judgement for your views.

glad I could give you a laugh ;)

shrewsbury
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
veggie, yes I do, the people calling them names are racist and dumb!

I in fact have had this happen to me more than once. the first time was when we moved to a small pure white town when I was in 5th grade. a few years later the first black kid came to town and lived 4 doors down from me. the first day he was in school, school let out and i was on my way home, i noticed a crowd gathered and came to look, three older teens were pushing this kid around and using racial slurrs. i stepped in, got my butt kicked and become known as the "you know what" lover. i didn't hang around him because he was 2 years younger than I and we had nothing in common, but I hate bullies, always have and always will.

this occured for about 2 weeks, each day he would get picked on, and i would step in, a fight would occur and i was often on the bad end of it, but it soon faded. when i started teaching (senior year) he became one of my students and a good friend.

bias over race is pure ignorance, it is always the person who is a jerk not their culture or color.

theonedru
07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Are you trying to suggest that I believe that every person who lives in africa is black?

Well if you and everyone else assumed she was talking about white Africans would this be as big as issue, I don't think you or anyone else would have even brought it up.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Well if you and everyone else assumed she was talking about white Africans would this be as big as issue, I don't think you or anyone else would have even brought it up.

I am just reporting the story as I see it. If the news choses not to report a story about a racist tweets about white africans then how do you expect me to find the story and link it here? If you are mad at a particular group not being represented properly don't blame me, blame the media.

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 03:53 PM
The basic fact here is this. If you're on any sort of team, especially one as prestigious as an Olympic team, you're supposed to conduct yourself with a certain amount of decorum. If decides you...

tpeichel
07-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Do they publish which political beliefs are acceptable and which are not?

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM

If your country has to published a list of items that are common sense that are not acceptable to speak or write then mabey one is too dumb to be on the olympic team anyway.

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM

They don't need to. It's not the views they're against so much as the controversy. If these were acceptable comments, like an American athlete supporting Romney or Obama, there wouldn't be a problem, regardless of which side s/he was on. In this case a single athlete brought controversy on the entire team and nation to do what? Make a joke? Make a point? Every Greek athlete is going to be asked about this at least once by some idiot and she single handedly made that happen. Forget the politics, as an athlete that was an incredibly selfish move. She had to know those comments would create a stir.
For that reason alone I wouldn't want her representing my country, regardless of her views. You don't heap controversy like that on teammates right before the event.

tpeichel
07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
In 2008, the Spanish basketball team caused a stir when they posed for a advertising picture with "slanty eyes" to look Chinese. I guess this was acceptably racist since they were not banned?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/14/olympics.photo.spain.basketball/?iref=mpstoryview

I wonder if this incident with the Greek olympian is going to lead to countries or opponents "digging up dirt" on rivals with controversial opinions to see if they can embarrass a country into banning their own olympians from participating? I imagine all olympians are furiously scrubbing any potentially harmful opinions or thoughts that they shared online.

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
In 2008, the Spanish basketball team caused a stir when they posed for a advertising picture with "slanty eyes" to look Chinese. I guess this was acceptably racist since they were not banned?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/14/olympics.photo.spain.basketball/?iref=mpstoryview

I wonder if this incident with the Greek olympian is going to lead to countries or opponents "digging up dirt" on rivals with controversial opinions to see if they can embarrass a country into banning their own olympians from participating? I imagine all olympians are furiously scrubbing any potentially harmful opinions or thoughts that they shared online.

You do realize it wasn't the IOC's decision. The decision was made by the Greek Olympic Federation. You'd have to ask the Spanish Olympic people why that team wasn't banned.

Two different nations, two sets of standards.

mikesilvia
07-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I think this is the silliest decision ever made and shows what a leftist government will do to silence free speech. She made a joke on Twitter and now has to throw about a decade of training? Really? To me this is more about free speech than racism. The media has the story backwards.

People say and do things on Facebook and Twitter that they would not do in real life. This story has everything to do with leftist politicians not liking a popular athlete that supports an opposing party. It looks like they were just looking for a way to smear her. She went from a popular athlete that supports the opposing party to a racist right winger that supports the opposing party.

We live in a world where the Black Panthers and Spike Lee can hunt down a guy for being white (did they hunt down any black on black killers?) and that's not racists and no sanctions are taken. But make a stupid joke on Facebook and a decade of training goes down the drain? If anything this shows what a totalitarian state looks like. These are the same leaders that destroyed the Greek economy and made them the laughing stock of Europe.

ALADOG
07-28-2012, 01:36 PM
YEP!

And good to see the Greeks do the correct action in banning this woman from the games, it would've been a shame on their country to have her as a representative.

@Duane.....Really, you don't understand why MOST racists are usually right wing?

Ever heard of a liberal KKK/nazi member?

The worst in American racism that is part of extreme liberals would probably be the black panther idiots.....and they're nowhere near as big as white supremacists who are majorly conservative and religious.

The usual from liberals only conserrvatives re racist. Ever hear of Jesse Jackson, Sheila Lee, Al Sharpton, Louis Farakan, black panthers et al. They are the most racist individuals in our country.

theonedru
07-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I still do not see how it can be racist when Africans are comprised of so many different ethnicities and religions and so on, it makes what she said insensitive and idiotic but racist no.. What is racist is everyone who think what she said was racist.

Wickabee
07-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I think this is the silliest decision ever made and shows what a leftist government will do to silence free speech. She made a joke on Twitter and now has to throw about a decade of training? Really? To me this is more about free speech than racism. The media has the story backwards.

People say and do things on Facebook and Twitter that they would not do in real life. This story has everything to do with leftist politicians not liking a popular athlete that supports an opposing party. It looks like they were just looking for a way to smear her. She went from a popular athlete that supports the opposing party to a racist right winger that supports the opposing party.

We live in a world where the Black Panthers and Spike Lee can hunt down a guy for being white (did they hunt down any black on black killers?) and that's not racists and no sanctions are taken. But make a stupid joke on Facebook and a decade of training goes down the drain? If anything this shows what a totalitarian state looks like. These are the same leaders that destroyed the Greek economy and made them the laughing stock of Europe.

Again, it's not so much the joke and comments themselves that are the problem. It's the heap of crap that was brought down on the team because of it. She put herself above the team and nation and for that she doesn't deserve to represent either at the Olympics.
Nothing to do with a leftist government, nothing to do with freedom of speech and everything to do with one selfish athlete.

mikesilvia
07-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Again, it's not so much the joke and comments themselves that are the problem. It's the heap of crap that was brought down on the team because of it. She put herself above the team and nation and for that she doesn't deserve to represent either at the Olympics.
Nothing to do with a leftist government, nothing to do with freedom of speech and everything to do with one selfish athlete.

She made a Twitter post. Spike Lee posted an address KNOWING that there was a bounty on someone's head. He actively attempted to get someone killed. This athlete made a simple joke that the MEDIA blew out of proportion, not here. She mad a joke and apologized after. There is a clear loss of freedom of speech in this case and dictator-style of banning an athlete. Don't you at least get a hearing? Nope, not in the leftist government of Greece.

mikesilvia
07-28-2012, 04:35 PM
I still do not see how it can be racist when Africans are comprised of so many different ethnicities and religions and so on, it makes what she said insensitive and idiotic but racist no.. What is racist is everyone who think what she said was racist.

My white barber is from South Africa and she mentions that all the time. "I'm more African than most African Americans."

There are plenty of white and Arab Africans, but since most Americans can't find Africa on a map, let alone know that it is diverse, problems like these arise.

Wickabee
07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
She made a Twitter post. Spike Lee posted an address KNOWING that there was a bounty on someone's head. He actively attempted to get someone killed. This athlete made a simple joke that the MEDIA blew out of proportion, not here. She mad a joke and apologized after. There is a clear loss of freedom of speech in this case and dictator-style of banning an athlete. Don't you at least get a hearing? Nope, not in the leftist government of Greece.

And were Spike Lee on the Greek Olympic team he would likely be kicked off. That argument is as valid as saying "The Spanish team didn't get kicked off!" If the Spanish team was Greek, it may have been a different story. If Spike Lee was Greek AND an Olympic caliber athlete, you would have a point there. But saying it's unfair for Greece to make this decision because the Spanish team wasn't pulled by their Olympic committee is stupid. Trying to compare an athlete's actions to those of a filmmaker is stupid.

Stop claiming "big bad leftist". It holds no water. The government didn't even necessarily have anything to do with it. The Greek Olympic Federation did. These argument are asinine at best.

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 09:35 AM
And were Spike Lee on the Greek Olympic team he would likely be kicked off. That argument is as valid as saying "The Spanish team didn't get kicked off!" If the Spanish team was Greek, it may have been a different story. If Spike Lee was Greek AND an Olympic caliber athlete, you would have a point there. But saying it's unfair for Greece to make this decision because the Spanish team wasn't pulled by their Olympic committee is stupid. Trying to compare an athlete's actions to those of a filmmaker is stupid.

Stop claiming "big bad leftist". It holds no water. The government didn't even necessarily have anything to do with it. The Greek Olympic Federation did. These argument are asinine at best.

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030: