PDA

View Full Version : Obama creating an African-American Education office

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_AFRICAN_AMERICAN_EDUCATION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-07-25-16-38-59

This is really bizarre to me. I thought we were supposed to treat everyone equally. It appears on the surface that he just created to the program so that he could tell blacks that he did something for them to get more of them to turn out and vote. I could be totally wrong, but that's just my first impression. What are your thoughts?

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_AFRICAN_AMERICAN_EDUCATION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-07-25-16-38-59

This is really bizarre to me. I thought we were supposed to treat everyone equally. It appears on the surface that he just created to the program so that he could tell blacks that he did something for them to get more of them to turn out and vote. I could be totally wrong, but that's just my first impression. What are your thoughts?

So what do you conservatives want to do? Make it illegal to for blacks to get an education?

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 12:03 PM
So what do you conservatives want to do? Make it illegal to for blacks to get an education?

Come on man.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Come on man.

Why is it that everytime someone tries to do something to help out 1 black or the black community as a whole you conservatives have a problem with it? If everyone truly was on equal footing there wouldn't be a need for programs like that but as long as the conservatives have their will there will continue to be a need for them.

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Why is it that everytime someone tries to do something to help out 1 black or the black community as a whole you conservatives have a problem with it? If everyone truly was on equal footing there wouldn't be a need for programs like that but as long as the conservatives have their will there will continue to be a need for them.

I thought we were supposed to treat everyone equally.

Afrank45
07-26-2012, 12:24 PM
AUtaxman...... First please realize im assuming based on posts ive seen of yours how you feel. You have a desire for fewer social programs and government spending and the like at least that's the impression ive gotten from your posts.

Most Social programs are for the financially inept which im assuming we agree that most financially inept people live in poorer urban areas. Those areas are predominately inhabited by african americans.

All that being said if african americans had better education and had a higher sucess rate post high school would they not then be more financially stable thus using less social programs?

It seems like you want change, REAL change but you complain when someone lays the ground work for that change because it comes off as racially biased or a political move for re-election, although any successful change like the one being proposed that helped the country as much as less social programs would garner a re-election regardless.

My question is what would you propose? Change starts at the ground level this is the very definition if getting in on the ground level.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 12:26 PM
AUtaxman...... First please realize im assuming based on posts ive seen of yours how you feel. You have a desire for fewer social programs and government spending and the like at least that's the impression ive gotten from your posts.

Most Social programs are for the financially inept which im assuming we agree that most financially inept people live in poorer urban areas. Those areas are predominately inhabited by african americans.

All that being said if african americans had better education and had a higher sucess rate post high school would they not then be more financially stable thus using less social programs?

It seems like you want change, REAL change but you complain when someone lays the ground work for that change because it comes off as racially biased or a political move for re-election, although any successful change like the one being proposed that helped the country as much as less social programs would garner a re-election regardless.

My question is what would you propose? Change starts at the ground level this is the very definition if getting in on the ground level.

Well said my friend.

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Real change occurs when people care about those kids and put in the time and effort it takes to change their lives. It starts with the parents, of course, but we as a community could get more involved and would have a much greater impact than any government program would. After all, as far as I can tell, government programs have really done nothing of import to benefit the black community over the past 40 years. More people could participate in the Big Brothers and Big Sisters programs, Boys and Girls Clubs, or have their churches go into the cities and help those kids.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Real change occurs when people care about those kids and put in the time and effort it takes to change their lives. It starts with the parents, of course, but we as a community could get more involved and would have a much greater impact than any government program would. After all, as far as I can tell, government programs have really done nothing of import to benefit the black community over the past 40 years. More people could participate in the Big Brothers and Big Sisters programs, Boys and Girls Clubs, or have their churches go into the cities and help those kids.

You may actually be on to something taxman....

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I actually with AUT on this from the start. My school (Canada) had a "Native Resources" room where native kids could ostensibly get help with their homework and have a place to...i don't know just be native I guess.

I had a locker right across the hall from that room. The natives in my school who were the better students never set foot in that room. No, it was mostly the pot-smoking, drinking, gang-member natives who used the room. I hated standing there watching a group of thugs walk in, hand their homework to a small group of white women who would then DO IT FOR THEM while they went and smoked. It was unreal. Talk about state-sponsored stereotypes. I felt really bad for the natives who were in honour classes and had straight As because it was this group of thugs and other groups like them who were bringing down Natives as a whole. There was no more use for that room than there would have been for a "Caucasian Resources" room. To say, "This group needs better education" based on race or sex is futile and stupid. That's not a step towards equality, it's a step towards more, different inequality.

That said I didn't really read the article.

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
I actually with AUT on this from the start. My school (Canada) had a "Native Resources" room where native kids could ostensibly get help with their homework and have a place to...i don't know just be native I guess.

I had a locker right across the hall from that room. The natives in my school who were the better students never set foot in that room. No, it was mostly the pot-smoking, drinking, gang-member natives who used the room. I hated standing there watching a group of thugs walk in, hand their homework to a small group of white women who would then DO IT FOR THEM while they went and smoked. It was unreal. Talk about state-sponsored stereotypes. I felt really bad for the natives who were in honour classes and had straight As because it was this group of thugs and other groups like them who were bringing down Natives as a whole. There was no more use for that room than there would have been for a "Caucasian Resources" room. To say, "This group needs better education" based on race or sex is futile and stupid. That's not a step towards equality, it's a step towards more, different inequality.

That said I didn't really read the article.

The article is about 5 sentences long and gives no details.

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok, then I guess I did. My point stands. Any segregation of education is a bad thing in all forms. That's not anti-minority, it's pro-everybody.

AUTaxMan
07-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Ok, then I guess I did. My point stands. Any segregation of education is a bad thing in all forms. That's not anti-minority, it's pro-everybody.

agreed

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
In a perfect world we would not have a need for affrimative action, a native recources room, an africian american education office, the naacp, etc but as we all know we do not live in a perfect world and until society can provide equal opportunities for all there will continue to be a need for such programs.

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
In a perfect world we would not have a need for affrimative action, a native recources room, an africian american education office, the naacp, etc but as we all know we do not live in a perfect world and until society can provide equal opportunities for all there will continue to be a need for such programs.

My problem with the Native resources room was not that it existed, but that it was nothing but a place for white women to do Native kids' homework for them while they smoked. The other Native kids who never set foot in the room, and there were a lot, proved how unnecessary the whole idea was. But it "looked" good for the school to say they had this room/program. It was crap, it was useless, it was wasteful and it was detrimental.

Segregation the other way is still segregation.

shrewsbury
07-26-2012, 02:20 PM
it should be equal, there are many poor families that are not black, it should be for under privilaged kids, not kids of a certain race.

the timing on this has to make you wonder, why wait 4 years to help?

habsheaven
07-26-2012, 02:23 PM
The concept that everyone should be treated equally is great, IF everyone starts out on an equal basis. The reality is, minorities are at a distinct disadvantage in this world. Creating programs designed to narrow that gap of "opportunity equality" is a good thing. It, by no means, is segregation.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Im sure that he could have started this earlier if the republicans would not have stonewalled everything else that he tried to do.

habsheaven
07-26-2012, 02:27 PM
it should be equal, there are many poor families that are not black, it should be for under privilaged kids, not kids of a certain race.

You are right. It should be based on socio-economic (not sure that is a word) levels, not just race. As for the timing, he can't do everything at the same time. Surely it is not an attempt to get votes considering he will probably receive equal amounts of praise and scorn for the attempt.

mrveggieman
07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
The concept that everyone should be treated equally is great, IF everyone starts out on an equal basis. The reality is, minorities are at a distinct disadvantage in this world. Creating programs designed to narrow that gap of "opportunity equality" is a good thing. It, by no means, is segregation.

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
You are right. It should be based on socio-economic (not sure that is a word) levels, not just race. As for the timing, he can't do everything at the same time. Surely it is not an attempt to get votes considering he will probably receive equal amounts of praise and scorn for the attempt.

This ultimately my point. Why is it based on race? A dirt poor white kid has every disadvantage a dirt poor black kid does. A rich black kid is better off than a poor white kid. We're also talking about children here. Children should be treated equally, especially in education. This looks all well and good, but what happens if it actually works. In 200 years is someone going to have to set up a program for white kids because all the extra advantages heaped on minorities put whites at such a disadvantage?

gatorscollector
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I look in my classroom and see some VERY bright black kids, who try and turn in homework, then you take the flip side and see other black kids who arent turning in homework, arent trying in school and are asking for help.... well no wonder why, I also see this with whites to so its not just black people who have this.... if their gonna have a program to help blacks out, why not do the same for the whites that need help as well?? I am not racist ONE bit! I am ashamed of what happened a long time ago in the U.S.A with the whole segregating against blacks. I agree everyone should be treated equal.... But also like veggieman said, if this world was perfect none of this would be happening at all, we wouldn't have this problem. But until God comes back and saves us all from our sins, it wont be a perfect world!
thats just my view at this whole thing

Wickabee
07-26-2012, 02:40 PM
I just think this teaches racial segregation.