PDA

View Full Version : Chik fil a truck causes stir in downtown dc

mrveggieman
07-27-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/07/chick-fil-a-truck-causes-stir-in-d-c--78219.html

JustAlex
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey Conservatives.....I thought this boycott would have no effect????

HA!

pghin08
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm all in favor of people expressing their thoughts and displeasures, but I think protestors in a lot of ways need to re-assess their actions. For a couple reasons:

1. Not everyone that eats at Chick-Fil-A is a bad person. Heck, I don't think Dan Cathy is a bad person, he just has personal beliefs. I bet those protestors are making those patrons feel awful, when maybe all they wanted to do was eat lunch.

2. Not everyone that works at Chick-Fil-A is anti-gay. If the protestors are really successful, they could get stores shut down. And that would mean that good and decent people just trying to make a living are now out of work, and that just isn't fair. I have a problem with that.

Personally, I think that if you want to not give Chick-Fil-A your business because of their stance on homosexuality, that's fine, totally your right to do so. But you shouldn't condemn those who choose to eat there.

rchurchward
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
This is what the line looked like when I pulled up to Chick-Fil-A for lunch today. Boy, they sure are struggling...:rolleyes:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/557280_10151122917061265_530851156_n.jpg

pghin08
07-27-2012, 03:09 PM
This is what the line looked like when I pulled up to Chick-Fil-A for lunch today. Boy, they sure are struggling...:rolleyes:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/557280_10151122917061265_530851156_n.jpg

Man, that's a crazy line!

boba
07-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Yeah, we tried to go to ours and went somewhere else after seeing the parking lot and drive through line.

JustAlex
07-27-2012, 03:43 PM
It's not going to happen overnight.....for a boycott to be effective you need time and a consistent effort.

boba
07-27-2012, 03:46 PM
It's not going to happen overnight.....for a boycott to be effective you need time and a consistent effort.

It seems to be having the opposite effect. Just look at this facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/266281243473841/

JustAlex
07-27-2012, 03:59 PM
It seems to be having the opposite effect. Just look at this facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/266281243473841/
LOL, the conservatives are fighting back with a "CFA appreciation day".....LOL!

boba
07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
LOL, the conservatives are fighting back with a "CFA appreciation day".....LOL!

I havent seen any boycott Chick-fil-a pages with more then 100 members, just sayin #300,000 strong

JustAlex
07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I havent seen any boycott Chick-fil-a pages with more then 100 members, just sayin #300,000 strong
Yeah, pretty easy when idiots like Huckabee start saying that this is an attack on "christian values".....hilarious.

BTW, this country still is over 70% Christian, right?

andrewhoya
07-27-2012, 04:23 PM
2. Not everyone that works at Chick-Fil-A is anti-gay. If the protestors are really successful, they could get stores shut down. And that would mean that good and decent people just trying to make a living are now out of work, and that just isn't fair. I have a problem with that.

Personally, I think that if you want to not give Chick-Fil-A your business because of their stance on homosexuality, that's fine, totally your right to do so. But you shouldn't condemn those who choose to eat there.
The bolded is right on.

But as for number 2, would you say the same if it was an abortion clinic and people were giving abortions as a way to stay alive? (pretend you are pro-life for this question-- best example I could think of)

shrewsbury
07-27-2012, 06:49 PM
an abortion clinic and a fastfood joint, how does someone compare the two?

the issue isn't the clinic or its employees it is the law

it isn't chick fil a's food that is an issue, but him, go stand outside of where ever he is at and protest away, but the people working there had no say so in it and the people eating there are just hungry.

andrewhoya
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
an abortion clinic and a fastfood joint, how does someone compare the two?

Can you think of a better example?

almostkinda
07-27-2012, 07:11 PM
My stance on this situation is 1st off:I have no problem with gay marriage. 2nd:Chik-fil-a has great food. So this is interesting i don't feel like every employee at the restraunts are against gay marriage just the president(one man). But i understand where the protesters are coming from. If a company like Burger king said they don't support strait marriage i would be mad too.

almostkinda
07-27-2012, 07:14 PM
BTW, this country still is over 70% Christian, right?
lots of people call themselves christians but the people like the ones that get in the news for being crazy and stupid are just extremist. But when people that aren't christians see these people they think all Christians are like that....its sad

shrewsbury
07-27-2012, 07:25 PM
andy, how about this one?

If Sam Walton was found to be the granddragon of the KKK does that make everyone who works and shops at walmart a racist?

andrewhoya
07-27-2012, 07:44 PM
andy, how about this one?

If Sam Walton was found to be the granddragon of the KKK does that make everyone who works and shops at walmart a racist?
Not sure who Sam Walton is. But, no, that is not what I was saying.

shrewsbury
07-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Sam Walton is the owner of walmart
Dan Cathy is CEO of Chick-fil-a

Dan Cathy is against gay marriage so gays are boycotting (which is ok) and picketing chik-fil-a, making customers and employees out to be guilty of being against gay marriage(not ok)

how is this different?

it is ok for gays to voice their opinions but not others?

how is it ok to be against Dan Cathy for his religious beliefs but not against gays for being against his religious freedoms?

did he say homosexuals are not welcomed at chick-fil-a?
he said his religious beliefs make him not support gay marriage, what's wrong with that? he isn't hurting anyone, well except maybe himself.

andrewhoya
07-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Sam Walton is the owner of walmart
Dan Cathy is CEO of Chick-fil-a

Dan Cathy is against gay marriage so gays are boycotting (which is ok) and picketing chik-fil-a, making customers and employees out to be guilty of being against gay marriage(not ok)
I dont think anyone is making them out to be like this.

how is this different?

it is ok for gays to voice their opinions but not others?

how is it ok to be against Dan Cathy for his religious beliefs but not against gays for being against his religious freedom? I dont have a problem with someone else's religious beliefs unless it harms or discriminates others.

did he say homosexuals are not welcomed at chick-fil-a?
he said his religious beliefs make him not support gay marriage, what's wrong with that? he isn't hurting anyone, well except maybe himself. He has donated millions to anti-gay groups who lobby politicians to keep them from receiving rights.
Put my responses in red.

Wickabee
07-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Personally:

1 - I am not pro or anti gay marriage. I truly do not care. However, if I had to vote on it, I would vote in favour of gay marriage. Why? Because they want to get married and no one has presented an argument against it that even comes close to valid in my mind.

2 - The people who boycott Oreo or Chik-Fil-A are both ompletely within their rights and more power to them all IF that's all their doing is protesting. The problem is it rarely, if ever, stops there. I'm sure many employees and patrons feel intimidated by the presence and none of these people should be the targets. The only real protest would be a good one outside the companies headquarters. Spot-shotting various locations is futile in getting anything done but intimidating the employees and patrons. I'm absolutely certain these protesters are more than happy when they intimidate a patron from going inside the establishment, and those people are wrong.

3 - In my mind, both the Otreo and CFA things are stupid. I understand why CFA's is more controversial, and it has nothing to do with the media or liberals, but exclusion. That said the worst of the worst are not those who say, "I'll never eat Oreos/at CFA again!" but it's the ones who say hateful things on both sides. Calling for peoples' death because of either of these comments is beyond ludicrous and those people should be ashamed of themselves. Neither side is clean.

JustAlex
07-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Personally:

1 - I am not pro or anti gay marriage. I truly do not care. However, if I had to vote on it, I would vote in favour of gay marriage. Why? Because they want to get married and no one has presented an argument against it that even comes close to valid in my mind.

Then (IMO) you are Pro-gay marriage, sure you might not speak for or against it, but if you vote FOR it and you believe it is correct, then that's that...

2 - The people who boycott Oreo or Chik-Fil-A are both ompletely within their rights and more power to them all IF that's all their doing is protesting. The problem is it rarely, if ever, stops there. I'm sure many employees and patrons feel intimidated by the presence and none of these people should be the targets. The only real protest would be a good one outside the companies headquarters. Spot-shotting various locations is futile in getting anything done but intimidating the employees and patrons. I'm absolutely certain these protesters are more than happy when they intimidate a patron from going inside the establishment, and those people are wrong.

Yes, you are right.....however, I think if they are simply having signs and chanting that CFA is anti-gay, then I see nothing wrong with that....of course they SHOULD NOT intimidate any patron or employee.

3 - In my mind, both the Otreo and CFA things are stupid. I understand why CFA's is more controversial, and it has nothing to do with the media or liberals, but exclusion. That said the worst of the worst are not those who say, "I'll never eat Oreos/at CFA again!" but it's the ones who say hateful things on both sides. Calling for peoples' death because of either of these comments is beyond ludicrous and those people should be ashamed of themselves. Neither side is clean.

Great statement here, and I fully agree with it, I believe boycotts and protests can be done the correct way, and I'm hoping the CFA boycott can be done that way.

Responses in bold.

theonedru
07-28-2012, 01:26 AM
I do not agree with their view but its their right to have it.

I don't know why people eat that garbage anyways, you would think people would have more respect for not only their health but the health of their families.

Wickabee
07-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Responses in bold.

1 - I don't believe it's "right" or "wrong" I just believe there's no reason not to, if they really want it that badly.

2 - That's well and good, but even their presence can be intimidating. Boycott individual locations is stupid. The store managers didn't make the statement, the CEO did. Go to headquarters.

pwaldo
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
So are people going to start boycotting outside of churches and mosques now? I mean aren't those places against gay people marrying?

Wickabee
07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
So are people going to start boycotting outside of churches and mosques now? I mean aren't those places against gay people marrying?
They don't? If that's true, I would say it's probably because people have enough respect for churches. Too bad it's not always the other way around.

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 08:45 AM
I do not agree with their view but its their right to have it.

I don't know why people eat that garbage anyways, you would think people would have more respect for not only their health but the health of their families.

Before all this chik fil a nonesense kicked off I loved their french fries. They were the bomb and vegan as far as I knew. I was actually thinking about reducing my fast food consumption before this controversy so I think that I am going to stop eating at chick fil a, certian other fast food restaurtants and those "dirty" shops that Mayor Barry referred to a while back. You are right theondru it will be much better for my health. Chick fila fries were good but they had way too much salt and I need to watch my pressure. Hell I may have to stay off P&R if I really want to keep my pressure down. :pound: