PDA

View Full Version : Outrage over billboard which compares Obama to Dark Knight shooter

pwaldo
07-28-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180452/Outrage-billboard-comparing-Obama-Dark-Knight-shooter-says-President-killed-thousands.html

A right-wing group has drawn outrage after erecting a billboard comparing Barack Obama to the man who allegedly killed 12 people in the Dark Knight massacre last week.

An electronic sign implying that the President's foreign policy was comparable to the actions of murder suspect James Holmes appeared this week in Caldwell, Idaho.

It has been widely condemned by local residents, who described the controversial message as 'offensive' and 'way over the line'.

The billboard, which is owned by a libertarian organisation, bears the permanent message 'Making statism unpopular', and is known for being harshly critical of Mr Obama.

But the latest screed has gone further than usual with its reference to the tragic shooting which left 58 people injured during a screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado last Thursday night.

The sign features a photograph of Holmes with the caption: 'Kills 12 in movie theater with assault rifle - everyone freaks out'.

Next to it is a picture of the President captioned: 'Kills thousands with his foreign policy - wins Nobel Peace Prize'.

The billboard is funded by the Ralph Smeed Foundation, which pushes for smaller government in Idaho.

Spokesman Maurice Clements, a former state lawmaker, told the Idaho Statesman the group was not trying to say that Mr Obama is a 'lunatic', but wanted to draw attention to the consequences of overseas wars.

'We're all outraged over that killing in Aurora,' he said, 'but we're not outraged over the boys killed in Afghanistan.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/28/article-2180452-14447618000005DC-998_634x336.jpg

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah I saw this online. Completely tasteless and insensitive.

pghin08
07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
They're free to express whatever sentiments they have, and I'm free to call them ridiculous.

ensbergcollector
07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
They're free to express whatever sentiments they have, and I'm free to call them ridiculous.

+1

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Kind of shows where the Romney campaign is at.

pwaldo
07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Kind of shows where the Romney campaign is at.

Really has nothing to do with Romney at all

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Oh, so this was a group of right wing democrats who put this up to get votes for Obama?

Okay, that makes sense...

tpeichel
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
It's an anti-war libertarian group that is not happy with Obama's continuance of the wars.

duwal
07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Really has nothing to do with Romney at all

but it wouldn't be too outlandish of a reasoning to think that the people that made and were in support of this billboard will not be voting for Obama to be re-elected

pwaldo
07-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh, so this was a group of right wing democrats who put this up to get votes for Obama?

Okay, that makes sense...

One would assume that a group of Libertarians would vote for the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson and not Obama or Romney. Just because you are against Obama doesn't mean you are for Romney you know and you still haven't shown how this has anything do with Romney's campaign.

but it wouldn't be too outlandish of a reasoning to think that the people that made and were in support of this billboard will not be voting for Obama to be re-elected

Seeing as how they are Libertarians and from the looks of it anti war it would be a safe bet that they would be voting for Gary Johnson and not Obama.