PDA

View Full Version : Christianity in the "Deep South" of America.

JustAlex
07-30-2012, 04:37 AM
I've decided to stick with religious topics since that's where my interest lies in.

Anyways, Christians in the "deep south" of America always get a bad rap, but why?

Well, because of things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfql8pB9uk&feature=g-u-u

^Mississippi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neiGrH_hds&feature=plcp
^Alabama

And of course, let's not forget the parade of Pastors from North Carolina that were literally wanting concentration camps for gays.

I'm sure that not all christians in this area of the U.S are this way, however; there are too many that ARE.

And not enough christians speak out against them...

joee5
07-30-2012, 05:44 AM
they just twisted is all

JustAlex
07-30-2012, 05:57 PM
they just twisted is all
Not all of them, but the ones that are, are making their religion look VERY bad.

It's like Islam, not every Muslim is a radical, but the ones that are, make Islam look very very bad.

jessejordan419
07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Funny how you pick videos and thread titles to insinuate "Southern Christians" are racists. Indiana was the state with the greatest kkk membership, and the catholic churches with the biggest priest molestors are in the Northern States.

But please continue with your slander, even though True Christians would speak out greatly against both of these instances. And by the way, your liberal govt is the one forcing Catholic Hospitals to perform abortions and pass out contraceptives against their doctrine, and keep military Pastors from praying in Jesus' Name. Who is the bigger espouser of hate?

ensbergcollector
07-30-2012, 06:52 PM
as a christian these type of stories make me sick. not just because they shed a bad light on christianity but because this is not the message of christ. i am a minister at a church and i would absolutely risk getting fired over something like this. ridiculous.

on a side note, everyone compares the "extreme" christians with the "extreme" muslims to show that they are the same and that both religions have extreme members who do not represent the whole. i get that. but extreme christians get laughed at and relegated to churches of like minded people and are given no control over anyone. extreme muslims rule multiple countries and impose their twisted view of islam on millions. you simply cannot compare the two and say there is no difference

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Funny how you pick videos and thread titles to insinuate "Southern Christians" are racists. Indiana was the state with the greatest kkk membership, and the catholic churches with the biggest priest molestors are in the Northern States.

But please continue with your slander, even though True Christians would speak out greatly against both of these instances. And by the way, your liberal govt is the one forcing Catholic Hospitals to perform abortions and pass out contraceptives against their doctrine, and keep military Pastors from praying in Jesus' Name. Who is the bigger espouser of hate?

So do you have examples that are the opposite of his?

jessejordan419
07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
So do you have examples that are the opposite of his?

I won't spoon feed those who refuse to do their own research.

Google "Christian outrage" against these videos and look for yourself. Better yet, why don't you read an article about these stories, I'm sure any journalist worth their salt could pick a preacher at random out of the phone book and find their opinion would be outrage as well.

But this is not the OP's intent. It is quite obvious to those with 2 cents of brain what the poster's intent was. Find the absolute dregs of society, and equate that to all Southern Christians.

By the way geniuses, the current leader of the Southern Baptist Convention is a BLACK PREACHER.

But don't bother in searching for Truth, just slander to try to label the opposition as racist so you don't have to debate the issues at hand.

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm not asking to be spoonfed. I'm asking if you can provide anything that is not strictly opinion to refute this, that's all.

It's pretty obvious not all Southern Christians are racist. I'd even be surprised to find out the majority is. The thing is, there is racism in the group, as with all groups, but Southern Christians have a bit of a reputation for better or worse.

For the record, I don't have an opposition on this. All I can have is an opinion. So in the context of this thread, I understand you feel attacked to a degree and would like to hear a rebuttal instead of just pointing out you feel attacked. He came up with some bad examples, I'm just asking for some good. Either way, this thread isn't going to shape any opinions I have on any one group.

almostkinda
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I live in Louisiana... this hurts me... people stereotype everyone where i live as people like these... its the same as saying all Muslim are terrorist its just stereotypical

ensbergcollector
07-30-2012, 08:26 PM
asking for opposite examples is kinda messed up. everyone knows you won't find news stories on churches that are doing all the right things

almostkinda
07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
asking for opposite examples is kinda messed up. everyone knows you won't find news stories on churches that are doing all the right things good point

tutall
07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
You can find crazy people in all walks of life... I can find crazy non-christians, crazy democrats, crazy republicans, crazy farmers, crazy iron workers, crazy doctors, everything.... Why can we just label all those people as crazy and move on with things?

jessejordan419
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm not asking to be spoonfed. I'm asking if you can provide anything that is not strictly opinion to refute this, that's all.

It's pretty obvious not all Southern Christians are racist. I'd even be surprised to find out the majority is. The thing is, there is racism in the group, as with all groups, but Southern Christians have a bit of a reputation for better or worse.

For the record, I don't have an opposition on this. All I can have is an opinion. So in the context of this thread, I understand you feel attacked to a degree and would like to hear a rebuttal instead of just pointing out you feel attacked. He came up with some bad examples, I'm just asking for some good. Either way, this thread isn't going to shape any opinions I have on any one group.

He did NOT come up "with examples". The title of his thread is: Christianity in the "Deep South" of America., and this was his post:

I've decided to stick with religious topics since that's where my interest lies in.

Anyways, Christians in the "deep south" of America always get a bad rap, but why?

Well, because of things like this:
^Mississippi

^Alabama

And of course, let's not forget the parade of Pastors from North Carolina that were literally wanting concentration camps for gays.

I'm sure that not all christians in this area of the U.S are this way, however; there are too many that ARE.

And not enough christians speak out against them...

If he is not happy with the amount of Christians in the South who speak out about this, he should not be looking in the Main Stream Media. He should be looking at local Southern newspapers, and he will find PLENTY of opposition to this in the Opinions section.

Once again. I will not spoon feed people who are looking to slander others WITHOUT looking in the proper places. Do you think the MSM will accurately portray the sentiment of Southern Christians? If so, ya'll are mistaken.

But since you need to be spoonfed......

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-black-couple-says-racism-forced-wedding-relocation-20120730,0,2280893.story
http://www.sheboyganpress.com/usatoday/article/56579642?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE %7Cp

For crying out loud, this search took 2 minutes. Just read ANY article about this incident, as long as it didn't come from an atheist press, and you will find the journalist found a Christian to reject this incident.

shrewsbury
07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
alex, this is true not only in the deep south and not only in america, crazy people are everywhere and always have been.

i know that one of your main issues is having religion dictate or influence laws and how people should live. I could not agree more, I would not want to force anyone to do anything. I will also say religion does, has, and always will affect these things, it just depends on your view of things. I for one am pro life, but not because Jesus, God, or the bible says so, it is because I believe life starts at conception. I cannot tell you what God thinks about anything, if He wants you to know I am sure He would tell you, not tell me to tell you.
This is my point of view but someone could say I think this way because I am christian, I say no I don't, but have no way to prove it. So there is always a way to say religion is influencing things if anyone involved in religious in any way.

JustAlex
07-30-2012, 10:04 PM
alex, this is true not only in the deep south and not only in america, crazy people are everywhere and always have been.
Very True, but then again groups like the KKK were born in the South, and with their history of slavery, the South (IMO) are still behind the times.

They really are, I'm not bashing Christianity, but this is a HUGE disgrace for this country.

IMHO, the South has literally been keeping this country down on race relations, they are TERRIBLE.

BTW, I live in Florida, so it's not like I don't know what's going on here.

AUTaxMan
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Very True, but then again groups like the KKK were born in the South, and with their history of slavery, the South (IMO) are still behind the times.

They really are, I'm not bashing Christianity, but this is a HUGE disgrace for this country.

IMHO, the South has literally been keeping this country down on race relations, they are TERRIBLE.

BTW, I live in Florida, so it's not like I don't know what's going on here.

The KKK have been irrelevant for many, many years. How is the South keeping the country down in terms of race relations? Where do you live in Florida?

tutall
07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
You may also want to recheck the sources on where the KKK was founded and what they originally stood for....

JustAlex
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
The KKK have been irrelevant for many, many years. How is the South keeping the country down in terms of race relations? Where do you live in Florida?
Well, Racism still exists, just look at the videos and even though you're right that the KKK are practically irrelevant, that doesn't mean they have ceased to exist.

We live in the 21st century, why are we still discussing racism in America?

Sure there's racism everywhere but lets be honest, it's much more prevalent in the south.

I live in South Florida, which is the most diverse area in the ENTIRE Southeast of America......HOWEVER, I lived in North Florida (Basically the equivalent to Alabama/Georgia) for 2 years, I went to the University of Florida in Gainesville for those 2 years, I can honestly say the following....There are MORE Confederate Flags than American flags in this part of Florida.....WHY?

First of all, Florida was NEVER part of the Confederacy.

And as a Non-White American, I have absolutely NO IDEA why this flag is still used by "Supposed" patriotic Americans.

That flag (IMO) is a direct symbol of TYRANNY and SHAME.

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Jesse, I'll look past the insults and just say this. That was a great post. Why couldn't you lead off with that?

Way better than your first post in this thread.

mrveggieman
07-31-2012, 09:03 AM
You can find crazy people in all walks of life... I can find crazy non-christians, crazy democrats, crazy republicans, crazy farmers, crazy iron workers, crazy doctors, everything.... Why can we just label all those people as crazy and move on with things?

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

Tivo32
07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I guess for a more positive note, I wanted to post this: http://annualreport.elevationchurch.org/

This is the annual report for Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC. Last year alone they gave $2,036,749 which comprised 13.4% of their expenses of the year towards outreach. This included 8 international foundations and 10 partners within Charlotte city limits.

I don't want to even try and argue that Christians don't do or say stupid things, because they do. But it's also true that there are Christians who are doing their very best to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

Wickabee
07-31-2012, 03:27 PM
asking for opposite examples is kinda messed up. everyone knows you won't find news stories on churches that are doing all the right things

Really?

I guess for a more positive note, I wanted to post this: http://annualreport.elevationchurch.org/

This is the annual report for Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC. Last year alone they gave $2,036,749 which comprised 13.4% of their expenses of the year towards outreach. This included 8 international foundations and 10 partners within Charlotte city limits.

I don't want to even try and argue that Christians don't do or say stupid things, because they do. But it's also true that there are Christians who are doing their very best to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

...because Tivo here managed to do it.

jessejordan419
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
We live in the 21st century, why are we still discussing racism in America?

Because blacks cry racism every chance it's opportune for them. It's easier to label with hate than to debate the issue at hand, especially if they have no argument.

Sure there's racism everywhere but lets be honest, it's much more prevalent in the south.

False. Liberalism is the most degrading form of racism. It seeks to keep blacks in a perpetual welfare state that only the Democrats truely care for blacks, and that give hand outs instead of handups, thereby keeping perpetual Democrat votes.

Here are a just a few of the racist quotes by leading Democrats that "were concerned of their fellow brethren".

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again." --Sen. Lyndon B. Johnson (D., Texas), 1957

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy." -- [B]Sen. Joseph Biden 2006

"Blacks and Hispanics are too busy eating watermelons and tacos to learn how to read and write." -- Mike Wallace

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?"

-- Left-wing radio host Neil Rogers

And this is what they say of blacks who think for themselves:

(On Clarence Thomas) "A handkerchief-head, chicken-and-biscuit-eating Uncle Tom." -- Spike Lee

First of all, Florida was NEVER part of the Confederacy.

False. As part of the Confederacy, Florida flew all three versions of the Confederate flag and the Bonnie Blue Flag.

And as a Non-White American, I have absolutely NO IDEA why this flag is still used by "Supposed" patriotic Americans.

Blacks will have a reason to not like this flag. As a non-black, I will never comprehend the feelings blacks feel when they see this flag. However, blacks also fail to realize that MANY poor whites were also slaves, just as blacks were, and were even treated as lesser people than blacks. This is just part of the history that has been erased and re-written.

On the other hand, the North confiscated Southern goods leaving the South long before the civil war. These goods were confiscated by the North, and sold by the North. They were stealing from the Southerners. There were MANY other reasons to secede from the Union besides just slavery.

That flag (IMO) is a direct symbol of TYRANNY and SHAME.

False again. That flag is a representation of the REBELLION AGAINST TRUE TYRANNY. The true history of Lincoln is one of true tyranny. Historians have re-written this over the last 100 years. I suggest you read The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War

Here is a brief synopsis:
""In ten concise chapters, DiLorenzo attempts to demythologize Lincoln’s reputation as the humanitarian benefactor of the slaves and the judicious statesman who preserved, protected, and defended the Union and the Constitution in their hour of greatest crisis. With the flair and passion of a prosecuting attorney delivering closing arguments to a hostile jury, he exposes Lincoln’s embarrassing views on race, his ambition for economic nationalism, his rewriting of the history of the founding of the nation, his cavalier violation of constitutional limits on the presidency, and his willingness to wage a barbaric total war to achieve his ends. DiLorenzo argues that Lincoln opened the gates of war and plunged his fellow countrymen, North and South, into four years of misery and death not to preserve the Union as it was or to free the slaves, but to advance his own, his party’s, and his constituency’s power. In many ways, The Real Lincoln is a sobering study in power and corruption.""

A better question for Lincoln would be, "Why did you wait so long to emancipate?".

Wickabee
07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Because blacks cry racism every chance it's opportune for them. It's easier to label with hate than to debate the issue at hand, especially if they have no argument...

(I edited the quote down for space, no other reason and am under the assumption that the facts quoted in the entire post are true.)

Now THAT'S a post. Informed, readable and without insult or self-righteousness. Great post Jesse.