PDA

View Full Version : Many Atlantans oppose using hotel tax on new stadium

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm interested in getting the groups thoughts on this one.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/many-atlantans-oppose-using-1487184.html

AUTaxMan
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I agree. Stadiums should be privately financed IMO. Cities should not be held hostage by their football teams.

Tivo32
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
The argument could be made that a new stadium could attract millions if not billions of revenue for local businesses if the new stadium is capable of securing a Super Bowl and other sporting events such as NCAA Final Fours, BCS Bowl Games, etc.

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with public fiancing as long as the public would get a return in the investment such as a tax refund.

AUTaxMan
07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
The argument could be made that a new stadium could attract millions if not billions of revenue for local businesses if the new stadium is capable of securing a Super Bowl and other sporting events such as NCAA Final Fours, BCS Bowl Games, etc.

that's the argument that is made, but it doesn't always work out that way, especially in the smaller markets.

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 12:11 PM
that's the argument that is made, but it doesn't always work out that way, especially in the smaller markets.

Atlanta is a pretty decent sized market. We have already hosted the final four, super bowl and hopefully one day ncaa playoff games.

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I thought Atlanta was only behind NYC LA Chicago and Houston for market size.

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I thought Atlanta was only behind NYC LA Chicago and Houston for market size.

I'm not sure of the numbers but I'm pretty sure that it's in the top 10. I know that DC/Baltimore and Philly are up there too

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Ok, just found a list:
1 - NYC
2 - LA
3 - Chicago
4 - Philadelphia
5 - Dallas/Ft. Worth
6 - San Fransisco/Oakland/San Jose
7 - Boston
8 - Atlanta
9 - Washington DC
10 - Houston

mrveggieman
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Ok, just found a list:
1 - NYC
2 - LA
3 - Chicago
4 - Philadelphia
5 - Dallas/Ft. Worth
6 - San Fransisco/Oakland/San Jose
7 - Boston
8 - Atlanta
9 - Washington DC
10 - Houston

They must be talking about entire metropolitan areas because I know for a fact that Houston is the 4th largest city in the states. I'm curious to see what Canada's list looks like.

Wickabee
07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
They must be talking about entire metropolitan areas because I know for a fact that Houston is the 4th largest city in the states. I'm curious to see what Canada's list looks like.

That's the Nielsen numbers for TV markets. If you want population, Atlanta falls to 40.

Top populated cities in Canada (again, this one is population, not Nielsen)
1 - Toronto
2 - Montreal
3 - Calgary
4 - Ottawa
5 - Edmonton
6 - Mississauga
7 - Winnipeg
8 - Vancouver
9 - Brampton
10 - Hamilton

But that's a little misleading. In Calgary, just about everyone lives within Calgary city limits. Vancouver, on the other hand is very small in size. Most people in Van actually live in West Vancouver, North Vancouver, East Vancouver, New Westminster, Abbotsford and a host of other cities. At the same time Brampton and Mississauga are often lumped into the Greater Toronto Area.
The reality is:
1 - Toronto
2 - Montreal
3 - Vancouver
4 - Everyone else.