PDA

View Full Version : ACLU wants to know how liscence plate data is used

mrveggieman
07-31-2012, 01:37 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/aclu-wants-to-know-1487446.html

shrewsbury
07-31-2012, 01:48 PM
seems like a good thing to me

[QUOTE]"It has been very successful in returning kids to their families," said Herron, who worked for 27 years with the Maryland State Police and as public safety director for Prince George's County. In that county, auto thefts were cut by about 40 percent in two years with the help of the cameras.[QUOTE]

Wickabee
07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm torn on this. I really am.

duane1969
07-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Due your thread title TOTALLY confused me...

I don't care if they store my license plate data for 100 years. if they really care to document how often I drive to the grocery store or go to WalMart, more power to them...

mrveggieman
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Due your thread title TOTALLY confused me...

I don't care if they store my license plate data for 100 years. if they really care to document how often I drive to the grocery store or go to WalMart, more power to them...

Sorry I ment to say data. It was a typo. Please correct if you like. Thanks.

shrewsbury
07-31-2012, 02:26 PM
veggie, changed

mrveggieman
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
veggie, changed

Thanks buddy! :thumb:

Wickabee
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Here's the thing. We hear so often of the "slippery slope" that doing something like, say, legalizing marijuana creates. The theory being that, once we accept marijuana as legal then it will be the next drug and the next and the next until everything is "legal" and we all live in a drug induced state of anarchy. I don't like the theory myself, but it isn't without some credibility.

With that in mind, where does this constant videotaping by the government end? How is this not "Big Borther-esque"? Personally, I feel the same as Duane posted above, but at the same time where does it stop? Camera on every corner? Camera at the end of every driveway where your property ends? If you get pulled over for speeding, are you going to be grilled about a trip you took to Fresno 3 weeks ago because a terrorist plot was discovered there*?
So I'm quite torn. This, to me, is the ultimate "Freedom vs Safety" battleground.

* - No, I don't know of any terrorist plot hatched in Fresno. It was a "for example" so please, don't ask for proof.