PDA

View Full Version : Are gluten free diets a dietary fad?

mrveggieman
08-01-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.ajc.com/health/is-your-problem-gluten-1488210.html

*censored*
08-01-2012, 03:21 PM
It's largely a fad. Every time some new illness comes out that's easy to treat, everyone thinks they have it and have to stop it when it's not a legitimate problem for them. There are true Celiac Disease sufferers out there, but are there as many out there as there are people claiming they need to go gluten free? I highly doubt it.

andrewhoya
08-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Its not a fad for those actually allergic to gluten.

TheTGB
08-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Its not a fad for those actually allergic to gluten.

+1

When you know someone who's throat swells when they eat gluten and they have a hard time swallowing other foods, which in turn cause choking, it's not a fad.

andrewhoya
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
My mom is allergic, but just gets massive migraines. Not as severe as what you mention.

theonedru
08-02-2012, 12:32 AM
any diet is a dietary fad because diets are a quick fix to a long term issue and in the end solve nothing

mrveggieman
08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
any diet is a dietary fad because diets are a quick fix to a long term issue and in the end solve nothing

^^^^ This^^^^

habsheaven
08-02-2012, 11:56 AM

I think you are confusing the usage of the word "diet" in this instance. If I told you my child was on a strict "no peanut" diet would it be a fad? The word can be used to describe temporary eating habits as well as permanent life-long eating habits.

Wickabee
08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I think you are confusing the usage of the word "diet" in this instance. If I told you my child was on a strict "no peanut" diet would it be a fad? The word can be used to describe temporary eating habits as well as permanent life-long eating habits.

^^^This.
Some people need a gluten free diet. Most people who are on a gluten free diet, however, were on atkins for no reason and will be on to the next one soon enough.

theonedru
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Why does anyone want to tell your child they are on a "diet" to ghave them one day start to question why they are a "diet". People equate diets with things like weight loss and being unhealthy, is this what people want their kids to possibly interpete? We need to teach them the difference between a diet and a life style change

habsheaven
08-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Why does anyone want to tell your child they are on a "diet" to ghave them one day start to question why they are a "diet". People equate diets with things like weight loss and being unhealthy, is this what people want their kids to possibly interpete? We need to teach them the difference between a diet and a life style change

I'm not the guy that decides what meanings go with what words. Fact is if you teach your kid about diet in the context that you want them to learn they will not be confused when a classmate years later tells them she is on a diet. More than likely, your child will teach them something. Besides, it's hard to tell your 3-year old that it is a "lifestyle change" if he hasn't changed his eating habits in any way.