PDA

View Full Version : Why should the USA adopt a national Language?

MadMan1978
08-02-2012, 03:15 PM
First this is to be a debate if you get outline we will follows the P&R guidelines to the letter

For years a debate had revolved around this very question. Although this is NOT a issue in the up coming elections,those elected in the mid terms have on their agenda to have a National Language put in place. I ight using the wrong terms and such so place add them if you feel it is necessary.

I will chime in later

mrveggieman
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
English is already our unofficial official language. What difference will having some meaningless law on the books going to do? Politicians need to find other ways to waste taxpayer time and money on.

ensbergcollector
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
it would actually make a huge difference in a handful of states if they were to do this. however, I don't see any way that it ever passes

Wickabee
08-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Canada has two official languages. There is no point to calling either "official" other than to make some interest groups happy.

MadMan1978
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
it would actually make a huge difference in a handful of states if they were to do this. however, I don't see any way that it ever passes

Can you expand on that?

Wickabee
08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Can you expand on that?

The only thing I notice "official" languages actually doing is creating labelling laws. In Canada everything must be labelled in both French and English (in Quebec the French has to be twice the size as the English). This can create some problems, albeit minor problems for some. When I was working in kitchens, whoever put stuff into dry or cold storage, inevitably would end up putting most of the boxes/containers French out. Almost every time I went to go find something, I had to turn every box to read the English until I found it.
Creating one "Official National Language" in the US, such as English, would likely end in someone, likely Republican, to try and pass an "English only labeling" bill and would cause another, probably democrat, to try and add Spanish and maybe Mandarin added to the list of Official languages.

Other than that, I see no reason to have an official language in any country. It means nothing, Switzerland has 4 for crying out loud.

JustAlex
08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Los Estados Unidos deberia tener dos ideomas official!

Y yo creo que los blancos Americanos deberia aprender mas que un ideoma, es una desgracia que solamente saben Ingles.

theonedru
08-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Los Estados Unidos deberia tener dos ideomas official!

Y yo creo que los blancos Americanos deberia aprender mas que un ideoma, es una desgracia que solamente saben Ingles.

And why is is a disgrace if whites know only english, is a mentally impaired white person a disgrace for knowing only English, or someone with a severe learning disability a disgrace for not knowing another language?

JustAlex
08-03-2012, 06:01 AM
And why is is a disgrace if whites know only english, is a mentally impaired white person a disgrace for knowing only English, or someone with a severe learning disability a disgrace for not knowing another language?
Because most if not all public school offer foreign languages as a required elective and even with this most Americans can't speak anything other than English.

In Europe the average citizen knows at least 2 languages....I guess my comment is really more of a failure towards our crappy school system.

BTW....I went after whites but I should've included blacks as well....hispanics, Asians and other ethnic minorities are much better at learning more than one language.

theonedru
08-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Because most if not all public school offer foreign languages as a required elective and even with this most Americans can't speak anything other than English.

In Europe the average citizen knows at least 2 languages....I guess my comment is really more of a failure towards our crappy school system.

BTW....I went after whites but I should've included blacks as well....hispanics, Asians and other ethnic minorities are much better at learning more than one language.

Thats just a little racist to say. And I love how you ignored that part where you insulted those incapable of learning another language would you tell the parents of all the mentally challenged people out there that you think they are a disgrace for knowing only 1 language I am sure they would love you.

mrveggieman
08-03-2012, 09:25 AM

I don't think it's a matter of a particular race not being able to learn a particular language but it is an indictment on our culture and school system where learning a second language is not encouraged. We as americans are downright frightened by diversity. (See chik fil a)

JustAlex
08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't think it's a matter of a particular race not being able to learn a particular language but it is an indictment on our culture and school system where learning a second language is not encouraged. We as americans are downright frightened by diversity. (See chik fil a)
Yeah, that makes sense.

And as I read your comment I remember how many Arizona schools took away Mexican-American cultural classes.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/az-school-district-suspends-controversial-mexican-american-studies-program/

Here we are in the MOST diverse country in the world and yet no one knows anything but English.

That's why I said it's a DISGRACE!

Learning a new language is supposed to be a good thing....English is NOT the best language in the world, and heck, Americans are really lucky that English is the universal language here on the Internet, or else we couldn't spend endless hours discussing on various non-American websites.

kevinh1919
08-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Isn't the second language of most people from other countries English? (I did zero research)

I assume you were referencing ethnic minorities in America. I actually agree with you. I'm willing to bet most of those families have someone who doesn't speak much English in their household.

My wife has been involved in the local elementary PTA for the last 3 or so years. You would be surprised at the number of grandparents, parents, etc. that cannot read, write, nor speak English. Often times, the elementary-aged kids are translating for them.

I sure wish I took Spanish, instead of French and Latin over the years.

EDIT - I don't think minorities are better than whites and blacks are learning a second language. I believe there are reasons why other ethnic minorities speaking a second language is more commonplace.

mrveggieman
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Isn't the second language of most people from other countries English? (I did zero research)

I assume you were referencing ethnic minorities in America. I actually agree with you. I'm willing to bet most of those families have someone who doesn't speak much English in their household.

My wife has been involved in the local elementary PTA for the last 3 or so years. You would be surprised at the number of grandparents, parents, etc. that cannot read, write, nor speak English. Often times, the elementary-aged kids are translating for them.

Yeah I have seen that as well. I think that if you are going to live in a particular country you should be able to read, write, speak and understand the language that most people speak. However I don't know how making English the official language is going to do anything to change that.

angel0430
08-03-2012, 10:22 AM
This is not going to happen in the US because we have so many people from different countries. Plus, in some 5-10 years the vast majority are going to be hispanics...so there goes your English right there. Politicians need to stop wasting money and time on stupid stuff like this and focusing more on education, security, etc.

JustAlex
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
This is not going to happen in the US because we have so many people from different countries. Plus, in some 5-10 years the vast majority are going to be hispanics...so there goes your English right there. Politicians need to stop wasting money and time on stupid stuff like this and focusing more on education, security, etc.
I highly disagree.

First of all, it would take DECADES for the hispanic population to be higher than the white and black population.

Secondly, the majority of those hispanics would be American born hispanics.....which are pretty good at learning English, unlike their parents who spent the vast majority of their lives in a Spanish speaking country.

Wickabee
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM

This is valid because there are only French and English people in Canada, hence the 2 official languages. If something like Mandarin happens to take over, it will AUTOMATICALLY change the official language to that.

angel0430
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I highly disagree.

First of all, it would take DECADES for the hispanic population to be higher than the white and black population.

Secondly, the majority of those hispanics would be American born hispanics.....which are pretty good at learning English, unlike their parents who spent the vast majority of their lives in a Spanish speaking country.

Do your research before you talk...

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2011/03/24/hispanics-account-for-more-than-half-of-nations-growth-in-past-decade/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704604704576220603247344790.html

JustAlex
08-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Do your research before you talk...

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2011/03/24/hispanics-account-for-more-than-half-of-nations-growth-in-past-decade/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704604704576220603247344790.html

Um....these articles don't prove your ridiculous assertions!

Or are you really trying to say that there will be more Hispanics than whites and blacks combined in the U.S in 5-10 years.....that's IMPOSSIBLE!

Currently the U.S is still 196.8 million WHITE Americans (63.7%) .

I'm starting to think you're one of those people that think the SCARY Latinos with their "Ghetto language" as Newt Gingrich called it are going to take over America and English will be gone forever!

Please educate yourself, it WOULD take DECADES for the Hispanic population to be higher than the White and Black population combined.

Wickabee
08-03-2012, 05:23 PM
If America adopts a national language, here's what will happen:

First off, it will be English.

It will only be required to put English on any labeling and most businesses will only label in English because it's cheaper than putting other languages on as well. This will anger people who speak other languages or know/are related to people who don't speak English at all. The media will fan the flames

The Democrats will try to add Spanish as a national language, citing the number of hispanics and other nations having multiple official languages (off the top of my head, Canada with 2, Switzerland with 4) as reasons why it's a good idea, starting a brand new "race war" in America. The media will fan the flames.

Spanish as a national language will receive the same treatment from the people as the Chik-Fil-A deal. Republicans will stop eating Taco Bell and Democrats will go there to kiss. The media will fan the flames

Eventually, the Dems will win out and Spanish will be the second American official language, requiring English and Spanish on all labeling. The Republicans will try their best to repeal this and fail. The media will fan the flames.

By the time this happens, the Chinese population of the US will grow massively. As such the Dems will not only oppose repealing Spanish as a national language, but try to add Mandarin and/or Cantonese as a third official language. This will anger Republicans. The media will fan the flames.

This will upset all Japanese Americans and the cycle will start all over again with the media fanning the flames.

The difference between this and the situation in Canada is that you're trying to make the decision now. We simply have a large group (French Canada) that won't admit they lost the war to the English all those years ago.