PDA

View Full Version : Interesting situation

mrveggieman
08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I was on a vegetarian forum and a young lady wrote in and said that her b/f told her if she dosen't start eating meat again the relationship is over. I'm not going to repeat what I told her to say to her b/f because it may violate this site's TOS. It got me thinking though what would you give up to impress your wife/girlfriend/get a date etc. Would you change religions? Change your diet? Stop collecting cards?

JustAlex
08-03-2012, 01:05 PM
That's a tough one TBH....

As an atheist I know full well that if I get involved with a very religious girl the chances of the relationship surviving are very slim.

Then again, I don't ever want to get married, and i'm only interested in "carnal desires" (LOL) but that's my own preference.

I guess for most people things like this are a "deal breaker".

habsheaven
08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't have a problem with the boyfriend issuing this type of an ultimatum. If he likes to eat meat and she doesn't how are they ever going to share a life together. Separate meals forever? What about raising kids? Too complicated for me.

pghin08
08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I was on a vegetarian forum and a young lady wrote in and said that her b/f told her if she dosen't start eating meat again the relationship is over. I'm not going to repeat what I told her to say to her b/f because it may violate this site's TOS. It got me thinking though what would you give up to impress your wife/girlfriend/get a date etc. Would you change religions? Change your diet? Stop collecting cards?

A. I would NEVER ask my fiancee to go against her own personal beliefs just because I wanted her to.

B. If there was something I did that was a detriment to our relationship, I would work hard to change it.

Wickabee
08-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't have a problem with the boyfriend issuing this type of an ultimatum. If he likes to eat meat and she doesn't how are they ever going to share a life together. Separate meals forever? What about raising kids? Too complicated for me.

My mother is a vegtarian Jehovah's Witness.
My father is a meat-eating All-But-Atheist.

They've been married 30 years. Neither has given up a thing. Their marriage is no more difficult or complicated than anyone else's. Probably less so, to be honest.

mrveggieman
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
A. I would NEVER ask my fiancee to go against her own personal beliefs just because I wanted her to.

B. If there was something I did that was a detriment to our relationship, I would work hard to change it.

That's cool but what would you define as detrimental to the relationship? Is eating meat or not eating meat? What if one party was a christian and one party was a muslim? Would one of those religions be detrimential to the relationship?

*censored*
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Love me for who I am, or get out.

That's it.

mrveggieman
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM

She should should give up part of her identity to please him? What is he going to ask for next?

habsheaven
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
My mother is a vegtarian Jehovah's Witness.
My father is a meat-eating All-But-Atheist.

They've been married 30 years. Neither has given up a thing. Their marriage is no more difficult or complicated than anyone else's. Probably less so, to be honest.

Separate religions is not much of a concern. I would want to know. Did your mother cook the meals that included meat? Did your father cook his own meals? Who decided which meal you were eating every night?

habsheaven
08-03-2012, 01:46 PM
She should should give up part of her identity to please him? What is he going to ask for next?

She shouldn't have to give up anything. It is only logical to look for someone more compatible. Would you expect him to stay with her if she said she didn't want kids and he did?

mrveggieman
08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
She shouldn't have to give up anything. It is only logical to look for someone more compatible. Would you expect him to stay with her if she said she didn't want kids and he did?

She dosen't believe in meat and he is asking her to give up beliefs. It would be akin to you dating a woman and her expecting you to become a born again christian.

Wickabee
08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Separate religions is not much of a concern. I would want to know. Did your mother cook the meals that included meat? Did your father cook his own meals? Who decided which meal you were eating every night?

She cooked. Sometimes there was meat, sometimes there wasn't. When there was meat, she'd either pick it out or make herself a small mean on the side. It's not rocket science. If you love someone, you'll figure it out. If you can't figure it out, you don't love that person.

Wickabee
08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
She dosen't believe in meat and he is asking her to give up beliefs. It would be akin to you dating a woman and her expecting you to become a born again christian.

That is a huge problem. He's right though. Meat exists.

habsheaven
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
She cooked. Sometimes there was meat, sometimes there wasn't. When there was meat, she'd either pick it out or make herself a small mean on the side. It's not rocket science. If you love someone, you'll figure it out. If you can't figure it out, you don't love that person.

I'm not saying that it can't be worked out if both are willing to compromise but what if she is "militant" in her beliefs and doesn't like the smell of it, or the thought of it being killed? This could be the case in this guy's case. Or on the other side of the coin, perhaps he sees it as a phase she is going through and is not strongly committed to it. Obviously it is causing a problem in their relationship or he wouldn't have bothered making it an issue.

habsheaven
08-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Or it would be akin to her not wanting children and you wanting them. If he has a little foresight and thinks it will make the relationship short-term, what's wrong with him addressing it now?

Wickabee
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm not saying that it can't be worked out if both are willing to compromise but what if she is "militant" in her beliefs and doesn't like the smell of it, or the thought of it being killed? This could be the case in this guy's case. Or on the other side of the coin, perhaps he sees it as a phase she is going through and is not strongly committed to it. Obviously it is causing a problem in their relationship or he wouldn't have bothered making it an issue.

Well, my wife isn't a vegetarian, but can't stand the smell of cooking beef. She'll eat it once it's cooked, but I'm forced to the BBQ with it, which is fine. Again, if you love each other it's not difficult in the least. If it's impossible or difficult, you don't love each other. Simple. I don't know this particular case as I don't know these people, but my point stands. If you love someone what they eat won't make a lick of difference whether she's a vegetarian or eats puppy faces.