PDA

View Full Version : Playing Chicken with Gay Marriage

mikesilvia
08-04-2012, 01:40 AM
When the New York Post puts a fast-food chicken franchise on page one, you know some feathers have been ruffled, so to speak. And, indeed, the Chick-fil-A outfit can forget about catering any gay marriage receptions,...

More... (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/BillOReilly/2012/08/04/playing_chicken_with_gay_marriage)

theonedru
08-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Gay marriage is not a civil right in the USA, although for a gay couple to get a lot of the same privileges that straight couples get ( tax incentives, death benefits, estate rights, ect) they would have to be married .... Why do people refuse to ignore this this is why gays should be allowed to marry/civil union. They have us fighting over silly little things like this while the government rapes our lands and resources and leading us down the road to economic ruin and they laugh at Americans stupidity as to how easy it is to blind us like this.

JustAlex
08-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Gay marriage is not a civil right in the USA, although for a gay couple to get a lot of the same privileges that straight couples get ( tax incentives, death benefits, estate rights, ect) they would have to be married .... Why do people refuse to ignore this this is why gays should be allowed to marry/civil union. They have us fighting over silly little things like this while the government rapes our lands and resources and leading us down the road to economic ruin and they laugh at Americans stupidity as to how easy it is to blind us like this.
So, if you're able to fully understand why the denial of gay marriage affects gay people.....

Why do you sometime criticize me when I go after the BIGGEST proponents of those denials.....christians!

There's a good reason (IMO) why I'm so hard on religion, they corrupt the mind, they manipulate the masses, and they are dangerous.

An individual by himself is generally a decent person only wanting to live in peace.....bring a lot of those individuals together, give them strict rules and the threat of an everlasting torment in hell, and they change in amazing ways.

Christians who are against gay marriage can't help themselves.....they really can't.

When I was a christian this is how my mind worked:

-The Bible (the highest authority on this planet) clearly says that homosexuality is a sin and god does not like sin.

-As a good christian I want to follow the bible.

-That means I reject homosexauality and I treat it like every other sin (murder, stealing, rape, adultery, etc.)

-Therefore, gay marriage is in direct opposition to the bible, and I must fight it, regardless how I actually feel about it.

^That right there is how my mind worked while I was a christian, I'm NOT saying that's how every christian's mind is, but many are similar.

Zimbow
08-04-2012, 05:53 AM
I guess I could label myself as a Christian to some extent. I have no problems with gay people at all. We have a gay couple that attends our church as well. Couple of the nicest people at the church actually. I've spoken with them a few times on their beliefs. Of the times spoken, 1 thing in common comes to mind with me and them. We each believe in the same thing, Christ. It's awesome because no matter how our personal lives differ, our beliefs are the same.

Wickabee
08-04-2012, 06:34 AM
So, if you're able to fully understand why the denial of gay marriage affects gay people.....

Why do you sometime criticize me when I go after the BIGGEST proponents of those denials.....christians!

Denying gay people, or anyone for that matter, was not a teaching Christ would have agreed with. He wouldn't have agreed with their homosexuality, but not with lesser treatment. That is a teaching of the church, not Christ. You often go after core beliefs instead of hypocrisy.

There's a good reason (IMO) why I'm so hard on religion, they corrupt the mind, they manipulate the masses, and they are dangerous.

An individual by himself is generally a decent person only wanting to live in peace.....bring a lot of those individuals together, give them strict rules and the threat of an everlasting torment in hell, and they change in amazing ways.

Christians who are against gay marriage can't help themselves.....they really can't.

-The Bible (the highest authority on this planet) clearly says that homosexuality is a sin and god does not like sin.

-That means I reject homosexauality and I treat it like every other sin (murder, stealing, rape, adultery, etc.)

-Therefore, gay marriage is in direct opposition to the bible, and I must fight it, regardless how I actually feel about it.

^That right there is how my mind worked while I was a christian, I'm NOT saying that's how every christian's mind is, but many are similar.
Like you say, a lot do think that way, but a lot don't. The ones who follow Christ's actual teachings and ignore that edited versions of the church itself don't. Many who disagree with gay marriage don't. Not every one of them thinks we're inviting the fist of god. But you treat them as if they do.

JustAlex
08-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Like you say, a lot do think that way, but a lot don't. The ones who follow Christ's actual teachings and ignore that edited versions of the church itself don't. Many who disagree with gay marriage don't. Not every one of them thinks we're inviting the fist of god. But you treat them as if they do.
So, do you believe that there are christians who are against gay marriage for other reasons than the fact that the bible says it's a sin?

If so, could you elaborate on those reasons?

Christ didn't say anything on Homosexuality, he also didn't say anything on Pedophilia, and a million other things....how do christians know what is right and wrong if their bible doesn't say it?

Are colors good or bad?

Wickabee
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
So, do you believe that there are christians who are against gay marriage for other reasons than the fact that the bible says it's a sin?

If so, could you elaborate on those reasons?
Sure. There are those who don't care about the sinners sinning, but simply don't want anything to do with gays to be called marriage because marriage is a man and woman bound by God. Not a man and man or woman and woman. It has nothing to do with homosexuality being a sin, more of a technicality.

Christ didn't say anything on Homosexuality, he also didn't say anything on Pedophilia, and a million other things....how do christians know what is right and wrong if their bible doesn't say it?
He said love they neighbour as thyself. Sounds to me like that would include not raping the kid next door, don't you think?

Are colors good or bad?
Depends who you ask. Some would say they're good because they mark friends and foes in the street. Other would say they're bad because they perpetuate a negative stereotype of violent black on black crime. What that has to do with this conversation, I do not know.

JustAlex
08-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Sure. There are those who don't care about the sinners sinning, but simply don't want anything to do with gays to be called marriage because marriage is a man and woman bound by God. Not a man and man or woman and woman. It has nothing to do with homosexuality being a sin, more of a technicality.
Well yeah, I thought you would go towards this area.

But here's the thing which I can't get, no where in the bible does it say that marriage is EXCLUSIVELY for one man and one woman.....the reason why many christians say this is because they INTERPRET it that way.

Remember King David was allowed MULTIPLE Wives and Concubines.....this shows that the bible endorses Polygamy!

This issue (IMHO) will always go towards the fact that the bible says homosexuality is a sin, if the bible would have NEVER mentioned anything on gays, I believe gay marriage would've been legal a very long time ago.

He said love they neighbour as thyself. Sounds to me like that would include not raping the kid next door, don't you think?
Yes, it's pretty much the golden rule.

But, what if it's consensual?

It's still wrong, right?

But how do they know it's wrong if there is no contradiction.

Here's a better question.....if Lying is a "sin", how do you measure that in a life or death situation?

Pretend you're living in Nazi Germany and you're hiding Jews in your home....the Gestapo comes to your door and asks you if you have seen or know the whereabouts of any Jews....your mind has to do a quick balance of which is greater.....Lying to save lives, or saying the truth and watch lives get destroyed?

How do Christians get around this dilemma?

Depends who you ask. Some would say they're good because they mark friends and foes in the street. Other would say they're bad because they perpetuate a negative stereotype of violent black on black crime. What that has to do with this conversation, I do not know.
I asked because it's a silly question but at the same time it makes you think.

How can something like colors be good or bad?

And yet we know that Black and White are colors often used as good and evil and they are given properties.

Black = Despair, darkness

White = Light, hope

But if we're strictly looking at colors they're not good or bad, they're perceptions of what our eyes can see, if you were blind colors are meaningless.

This is obviously starting to get philosophical, but that's what good vs. bad, Right vs. Wrong is.

Wickabee
08-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Well yeah, I thought you would go towards this area.

But here's the thing which I can't get, no where in the bible does it say that marriage is EXCLUSIVELY for one man and one woman.....the reason why many christians say this is because they INTERPRET it that way.

Remember King David was allowed MULTIPLE Wives and Concubines.....this shows that the bible endorses Polygamy!

This issue (IMHO) will always go towards the fact that the bible says homosexuality is a sin, if the bible would have NEVER mentioned anything on gays, I believe gay marriage would've been legal a very long time ago.
The fact it's a sin is part of it, but not everyone is against it because it's a sin.

Yes, it's pretty much the golden rule.

But, what if it's consensual?

It's still wrong, right?

But how do they know it's wrong if there is no contradiction.

Here's a better question.....if Lying is a "sin", how do you measure that in a life or death situation?

Pretend you're living in Nazi Germany and you're hiding Jews in your home....the Gestapo comes to your door and asks you if you have seen or know the whereabouts of any Jews....your mind has to do a quick balance of which is greater.....Lying to save lives, or saying the truth and watch lives get destroyed?

How do Christians get around this dilemma?

I've answered this for you before. a Christian is to follow the law of the land so long as it does not interfere with God's law. Since there's no law from Godthat says consentual sex with a 4 year old is mandatory, they follow the law of the land. Though I think many of them individually feel sickened by the idea (they do think for themselves sometimes, you know).
With the Nazi's, God wants us to help one another through hardships. This would be helping the Jew by lying. Lying for a good purpose isn't a sin. Killing for the right reasons isn't even a sin.

I asked because it's a silly question but at the same time it makes you think.

How can something like colors be good or bad?

And yet we know that Black and White are colors often used as good and evil and they are given properties.

Black = Despair, darkness

White = Light, hope

But if we're strictly looking at colors they're not good or bad, they're perceptions of what our eyes can see, if you were blind colors are meaningless.

This is obviously starting to get philosophical, but that's what good vs. bad, Right vs. Wrong is.

Well yes, some things can't be ingerently good or bad, some can. With people, they're mostly neither, but they make good or bad decisions, some more frequently than others.

I suppose the only real measure of right and wrong that stands at all is society. It hasn't always been right, but it's done the best job of both creating and enforcing imagined morals.

JustAlex
08-04-2012, 08:13 AM
I've answered this for you before. a Christian is to follow the law of the land so long as it does not interfere with God's law. Since there's no law from Godthat says consentual sex with a 4 year old is mandatory, they follow the law of the land. Though I think many of them individually feel sickened by the idea (they do think for themselves sometimes, you know).
With the Nazi's, God wants us to help one another through hardships. This would be helping the Jew by lying. Lying for a good purpose isn't a sin. Killing for the right reasons isn't even a sin.
Yes, I remember now, you did in fact answer this question before.

Sorry to repeat myself to you, I really did forget.....I've brought this questions to many christians in the past and their answers are very mixed.

Although yours is one I can agree with, IMO, it still violates the fact that a sin will always be a sin.

One can say that killing for the right reason isn't a sin, but it's still a contradiction to "Thou shalt not kill" (Well, to me anyways).

Of course this topic is dwelling on "Absolute Morality" and that is an issue which is never ending in the apologetic christian community.

Well yes, some things can't be ingerently good or bad, some can. With people, they're mostly neither, but they make good or bad decisions, some more frequently than others.

I suppose the only real measure of right and wrong that stands at all is society. It hasn't always been right, but it's done the best job of both creating and enforcing imagined morals.
And that's where I am today....with society.

And as a society we should freely think whether or not gay marriage is good or bad, and you obviously know my position.

Anyways, this is a good debate......I'm talking about the philosophy of good vs. bad, right vs. wrong, religion vs. society.

Wickabee
08-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes, I remember now, you did in fact answer this question before.

Sorry to repeat myself to you, I really did forget.....I've brought this questions to many christians in the past and their answers are very mixed.

Although yours is one I can agree with, IMO, it still violates the fact that a sin will always be a sin.

One can say that killing for the right reason isn't a sin, but it's still a contradiction to "Thou shalt not kill" (Well, to me anyways).

Of course this topic is dwelling on "Absolute Morality" and that is an issue which is never ending in the apologetic christian community.
I believe it's actually "Thou shalt not murder" not kill. But yes, the question of absolute morality is the one most people of faith struggle with daily.

And that's where I am today....with society.

And as a society we should freely think whether or not gay marriage is good or bad, and you obviously know my position.
You're with half of society. Remember, people of faith are part of society as well.

Anyways, this is a good debate......I'm talking about the philosophy of good vs. bad, right vs. wrong, religion vs. society.

Everyone's definition is a little different for all those things.

theonedru
08-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Because you attack all Christians, all religions as evil bad horrible things/people. To you there is no moderate. You come across as angry in pretty much all your posts like your yelling to get your point across. Try being civil and eloquent in your approach and maybe you might get a little respect. Sure its ok to fly off the handle once in awhile, heck we all do it. Just learn moderation

JustAlex
08-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Because you attack all Christians, all religions as evil bad horrible things/people. To you there is no moderate. You come across as angry in pretty much all your posts like your yelling to get your point across. Try being civil and eloquent in your approach and maybe you might get a little respect. Sure its ok to fly off the handle once in awhile, heck we all do it. Just learn moderation
OK, I accept your criticisms and I'll make sure to make better points in future posts.

Not because I want "respect", but because you are right that that should be the way you discuss.

mikesilvia
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Those tolerant homosexuals ...

http://youtu.be/x8G4jI3VI8U

JustAlex
08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
LOL, so you're posting that video in every thread now???

Maybe I should post the THOUSANDS upon thousands of HATE filled, idiotic videos of Christians!

theonedru
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Those tolerant homosexuals ...

http://youtu.be/x8G4jI3VI8U

How tolerant would you be if you were told you were sick,disgusting, immoral, a freak, and those are just the terms I can use on here to describe how you live your life? They see people bullied, beat and even killed for living the same lifestyle as yourself. Kids are killing themselves rather than face a life of torment. And much of society turns their heads to this all. I would be a lot angrier than this.

mikesilvia
08-05-2012, 09:28 PM
How tolerant would you be if you were told you were sick,disgusting, immoral, a freak, and those are just the terms I can use on here to describe how you live your life? They see people bullied, beat and even killed for living the same lifestyle as yourself. Kids are killing themselves rather than face a life of torment. And much of society turns their heads to this all. I would be a lot angrier than this.

Really? The homeless guy did all that? So, now it's ok to verbally attack a person because someone else wronged you? Not the best way to live your life.

It's almost comical watching gay men bullying a man for his lifestyle while complaining that they were bullied for their lifestyle.

mikesilvia
08-05-2012, 09:30 PM
LOL, so you're posting that video in every thread now???

Maybe I should post the THOUSANDS upon thousands of HATE filled, idiotic videos of Christians!

Blow things out of proportion much? I posted in 2 threads and now it's "every thread."

Idiotic Christians, huh? You sound as bigoted against Christians as you claim Christians are to gays. Your words, not mine.

shrewsbury
08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
though comments like "idiot Christians" can easily be deemed as a personal attack on us Christians, I must admit that there are idiot Christians, but not all of us. Those that complain about stereotyping are quick to do so themselves.
It's amazing how us Christians conservatives are the filth of the earth, but it seems most of the time it is others calling us names, stereotyping us, and making assumptions about us, not the other way around.

JustAlex
08-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Blow things out of proportion much? I posted in 2 threads and now it's "every thread."

Idiotic Christians, huh? You sound as bigoted against Christians as you claim Christians are to gays. Your words, not mine.
Actually, I didn't say idiotic christians, I said idiotic VIDEOS of christians.

And there are plenty of them out there...

Now, back to the video you posted.....Imagine going through your life where christians constantly tell you that you are an abomination, you are a "sinner", you are EVIL, you're going to hell, you're ruining the sanctity of marriage, etc.

How tolerant do you think you're going to be towards this group?

I'm not saying that what those guys did was right, but It's certainly understandable.

shrewsbury
08-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I think most would consider a homosexual as a lliberal, thus having the ability to reason and understand their are people with a different opinion than them, and some of these people take it to the extreme and are way at of place. and it is not all of us christians that hate them. it is not all chik fil a employees that hate them, not every cL customers hate them, some just need a job and others are hungry.

the amount of christian and christian churches that are teaching hatred towards gays is not the majority, also most Christians do not have a burning hatred for homosexuals. some may not agree but do not judge, some will judge, some will get carried away, and others will care less about someones sexuality

theonedru
08-06-2012, 01:21 AM
I think most would consider a homosexual as a lliberal, thus having the ability to reason and understand their are people with a different opinion than them, and some of these people take it to the extreme and are way at of place. and it is not all of us christians that hate them. it is not all chik fil a employees that hate them, not every cL customers hate them, some just need a job and others are hungry.

the amount of christian and christian churches that are teaching hatred towards gays is not the majority, also most Christians do not have a burning hatred for homosexuals. some may not agree but do not judge, some will judge, some will get carried away, and others will care less about someones sexuality

If that was the truth they would be put through the hell that they are, its easy for us to deny it but you look at the whole big picture and it says otherwise.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Let me ask my conservative friends this. If this chick fila guy instead of giving his money to people who support same sex marriages gave his money to groups that support same race marriage (outlawing interracial marriage) would you feel the same way? Why or why not?

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Let me ask my conservative friends this. If this chick fila guy instead of giving his money to people who support same sex marriages gave his money to groups that support same race marriage (outlawing interracial marriage) would you feel the same way? Why or why not?

I can't answer that, but I have a question for the liberals (the way liberal seems to be defined, I can't call myself one anymore).
I'm assuming CFA has been making these donations for quite some time. This debacle is fairly new. So, why are you up in arms and protesting only after the statement if CFA and other companies, have been making these donations for years?
I only ask because that's why it looks like you're protesting free speech.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I can't answer that, but I have a question for the liberals (the way liberal seems to be defined, I can't call myself one anymore).
I'm assuming CFA has been making these donations for quite some time. This debacle is fairly new. So, why are you up in arms and protesting only after the statement if CFA and other companies, have been making these donations for years?
I only ask because that's why it looks like you're protesting free speech.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I am going to go on and add my two cents. I support and defend everyone's first amendment right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion even if it includes speech (like the chik fil a guy's) or a religion that I don't agree with such as devil worship. Most of us were ignorant of where the chik fil a guy was donating his money. But know that we know we are going to protest with our wallets. I am not gay but I do believe in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr that "injustice for some is injustice for all."

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I can't speak for anyone but myself but I am going to go on and add my two cents. I support and defend everyone's first amendment right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion even if it includes speech (like the chik fil a guy's) or a religion that I don't agree with such as devil worship. Most of us were ignorant of where the chik fil a guy was donating his money. But know that we know we are going to protest with our wallets. I am not gay but I do believe in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr that "injustice for some is injustice for all."

So if the only reason to not boycott before was ignorance, are you now researching what other companies make similar donations? And if not, why?

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
So if the only reason to not boycott before was ignorance, are you now researching what other companies make similar donations? And if not, why?

I know that some companies walmart comes to mind support causes that I am against and if I had a choice not to support their business I will. However it is not feasabile to boycott everything because as you all know we are share 6 degrees of seperation.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I know that some companies walmart comes to mind support causes that I am against and if I had a choice not to support their business I will. However it is not feasabile to boycott everything because as you all know we are share 6 degrees of seperation.

How do you decide which companies then? Is it just what the media spoonfeeds you or is it pure convenience?

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
How do you decide which companies then? Is it just what the media spoonfeeds you or is it pure convenience?

Of course you have to take what you hear in the media with a grain of salt and do your own research but the chik fil a guy came out and laid all his cards on the table. While disagree with his views I respect him for speaking his mind. That being said I wonder what his views on interacial marriage or lets say 40-50 years ago what would have been his views on desegregation.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Of course you have to take what you hear in the media with a grain of salt and do your own research but the chik fil a guy came out and laid all his cards on the table. While disagree with his views I respect him for speaking his mind. That being said I wonder what his views on interacial marriage or lets say 40-50 years ago what would have been his views on desegregation.

So only when a CEO speaks his mind, it gets reproted and you disagree?

Is your messages that CEOs shouldn't speak?
No offense but I'm starting to see the conservative side of this.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
So only when a CEO speaks his mind, it gets reproted and you disagree?

Is your messages that CEOs shouldn't speak?
No offense but I'm starting to see the conservative side of this.

Again CEOs like the chik fila guy, bill gates or anyone else can feel free to say whatever they like with fear of legal reprisals. However they must keep in mind that they are running a business that deals with the general public and the public does have every right not to support a company if they feel that their money is going to go to a cause that they do not agree with. Bottom line is money talks that other stuff walks.

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
If that was the truth they would be put through the hell that they are, its easy for us to deny it but you look at the whole big picture and it says otherwise.

what hell? who kids picking on kids being gay?

where are all these gay people getting put through hell at?

again, I hang around them on a regular basis, go to places with them, even vacation with them, I have never, ever, even once, seen anyone give them hell because they are gay, NEVER.

so what picture are you looking at? have you been with gays to see the hell?

again you are caught up with what others tell you and claim to look at the whole picture

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Again CEOs like the chik fila guy, bill gates or anyone else can feel free to say whatever they like with fear of legal reprisals. However they must keep in mind that they are running a business that deals with the general public and the public does have every right not to support a company if they feel that their money is going to go to a cause that they do not agree with. Bottom line is money talks that other stuff walks.
It's not the boycott that bugs me, it's the protesting and trying to keep others to do the same. You don't want to spend your money there then fine but don't start telling others where the should and should not spend their money.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
what hell? who kids picking on kids being gay?

where are all these gay people getting put through hell at?

again, I hang around them on a regular basis, go to places with them, even vacation with them, I have never, ever, even once, seen anyone give them hell because they are gay, NEVER.

so what picture are you looking at? have you been with gays to see the hell?

again you are caught up with what others tell you and claim to look at the whole picture

Back in the 1990s I went to high school with a gay guy. Most of the guys in the school did not like him. One day a buddy of mines had an altercation with him and beat the gay up pretty good. I guess that is why some gays keep their sexual preference to themselves.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
It's not the boycott that bugs me, it's the protesting and trying to keep others to do the same. You don't want to spend your money there then fine but don't start telling others where the should and should not spend their money.

You can't stop someone from spending his/her own money as he/she sees fit you can only spread the word.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:43 PM
You can't stop someone from spending his/her own money as he/she sees fit you can only spread the word.

By standing outside holding signs and yelling which many people do find intimidating enough to avoid it. This isn't let' show everyone how we feel it's been let's try to shut this place down and has been from the start.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:55 PM
By standing outside holding signs and yelling which many people do find intimidating enough to avoid it. This isn't let' show everyone how we feel it's been let's try to shut this place down and has been from the start.

On the cool I think that both sides of this issue made complete fools out of themself. Even though I am for free speech, the chik fil a guy made a poor business decision by putting his foot in his mouth and is now backtracking by saying that he will let the gov't decide on gay marriage. Hey chik fil a stick to what you are good with. On a side note I was wondering if chick fil a will still have the cows down at phillips areand for the atlanta dream games?

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
On the cool I think that both sides of this issue made complete fools out of themself.
On the warm, I agree wholeheatedly and have been laughing at all of you for a solid week.

Even though I am for free speech, the chik fil a guy made a poor business decision by putting his foot in his mouth and is now backtracking by saying that he will let the gov't decide on gay marriage.
I agree that he made a bad business decision. That's not much of a backtrack though, does he have any choice but to let the government decide on gay marriage? Do fast food CEOs have the power to do otherwise?

Hey chik fil a stick to what you are good with. On a side note I was wondering if chick fil a will still have the cows down at phillips areand for the atlanta dream games?

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
veggie, you are talking about kids, kids will be mean to others over the type of clothes they wear, the house they live in and if their mom or dad is fat, they are kids!

so how a school age kid acts reflects all of adult america and is the whole picture?

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
veggie, you are talking about kids, kids will be mean to others over the type of clothes they wear, the house they live in and if their mom or dad is fat, they are kids!

so how a school age kid acts reflects all of adult america and is the whole picture?

And the sad part about it is that alot of those kids grow up to be hate mongers. We need to teach our children how to love and be tolerant of others not to hate others because of their race, religion or sexual preference.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
veggie, you are talking about kids, kids will be mean to others over the type of clothes they wear, the house they live in and if their mom or dad is fat,

And it doesn't seem to end once they grow up. That's the problem. Kids learn when they are kids and it sticks for the rest of their lives. If you teach them it's okay to bully for one reason because it's not always for that reason, you're telling them it's okay to bully. For any reason.

I agree kids will be kids, but if you don't teach them why what they're doing is wrong (or right) they won't take anything into adulthood. Apparently, the vast majority of kids haven't been taught over the last 50 years.

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
wickabee, you can certainly be right about that, but I still have not seen this anywhere, ever. we have never been discriminated against in any way, nor any negative comments made, not once. I guess it depends on the company you keep and places you choose to go, but why is it so different for so many others.
besides, TV, magazines, newspapers, and the internet, when is the last time you were somewhere and heard or seen anything negative about gays?

also kids will turn into adults and have their own ideas and opinions about things, if they only follow what their parents taught them, then they were not taught the way I think people should be.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
wickabee, you can certainly be right about that, but I still have not seen this anywhere, ever. we have never been discriminated against in any way, nor any negative comments made, not once. I guess it depends on the company you keep and places you choose to go, but why is it so different for so many others.
besides, TV, magazines, newspapers, and the internet, when is the last time you were somewhere and heard or seen anything negative about gays?
Then why is there right now a HUGE campaign in the NHL called You Can Play, trying to change the environment of locker rooms and grandstands by changing peoples' thoughts about gays in sports? I guess it's totally unnecessary then?

also kids will turn into adults and have their own ideas and opinions about things, if they only follow what their parents taught them, then they were not taught the way I think people should be.
I agree wholeheartedly, but I also realize that it doesn' necessarily work this way. If a belief is taught early enough and hard enough, it's pretty likely to stick throughout life, even if logic dictates the obvious. Most ideas that stick through life are more than formed by age 20. That's also when one's mind is most malleable. Kind of a dangerous combination if we're not all looking out for them.

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
If gays are allowed in the locker room and the barracks, why not women? If you want equal rights, should they not be equal?

I think the mind and us as humans are always changing, in fact the only left unchanged is change itself.

but I do agree that people perceptions of gays can be quite ignorant, but this also applies to christians, conservatives, liberals, and atheists.

perhaps because the group I hang out with are educated and have great jobs and long relationships, their treatment by others differ from other homosexuals, but maybe not. In 15+ years I have never seen any of this, ever, besides on TV, radio, or other news mediums.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
If gays are allowed in the locker room and the barracks, why not women? If you want equal rights, should they not be equal?

Gays are allowed in locker rooms (so are blacks, gasp!). Unfortunately, the mindset of most straight athletes in those locker rooms keeps gays out.
Also, I've seen/heard of many female reporters going into locker rooms. I really have no idea what your point is here.

I think the mind and us as humans are always changing, in fact the only left unchanged is change itself.
Ok, but society as a whole is very slow to change, especially in regards to something like this. In the meantime, people are still being denied what they want and should have. It may be "wrong" and "illegal" to treat gays differently, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening on a massive scale.

but I do agree that people perceptions of gays can be quite ignorant, but this also applies to christians, conservatives, liberals, and atheists.
The difference is that no one is telling Christians/Conservatives/Liberals or atheists that they can't marry.

perhaps because the group I hang out with are educated and have great jobs and long relationships, their treatment by others differ from other homosexuals, but maybe not. In 15+ years I have never seen any of this, ever, besides on TV, radio, or other news mediums.
I've had the "f" word (the gau F word, not the normal F word) screamed in my face because I was hanging out with a bisexual male. I didn't know the guy who screamed it, but my friend did. Nothing physical came of it, but right then I understood how violence doesn't require physicality.

mrveggieman
08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

On the cool I would rather have a woman in the locker room with me than any man but that type of discussion wouldn't be appropriate for SCF. :sign0020: Seriously though if you are in the locker room you need to change your clothes and go about your business. Whatever you do in the privacy and comfort of your own bedroom has no place in the locker room.