PDA

View Full Version : School lunches require more fruits and veggies this year

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.ajc.com/lifestyle/school-lunches-require-more-1491844.html

ALADOG
08-06-2012, 12:00 PM
One more attempt by liberals to control everythiing by gov't regulation.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Childhood/adult obesity is becoming a national epidemic. I would love to see any conservative solutions to this issue.

pghin08
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM

Yeah, if only the government just stayed out of it and then our school lunch programs could go to the lowest bidder, and all our kids will just eat Big Macs every day and be dead by 40. Don't mind trying to give kids healthier options in the slightest.

ALADOG
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah, if only the government just stayed out of it and then our school lunch programs could go to the lowest bidder, and all our kids will just eat Big Macs every day and be dead by 40. Don't mind trying to give kids healthier options in the slightest.

Again liberals deny there is any personal responsibility. Generations since the founding of our country have not had tohave go'vt mandate what they eat. But our entitlement society now must.

ALADOG
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
And why is physical education and excercise no longer required iin schools? Both of my children went through grades 1 thru 12 iwth no physical ed program requirement.

pghin08
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
And why is physical education and excercise no longer required iin schools? Both of my children went through grades 1 thru 12 iwth no physical ed program requirement.

Because the education budgets in most states have been slashed, and as long as the current educational system is a slave to standardized tests that emphasize just science and math, the rest will continue to get lost in the shuffle.

And truly, the generations before the last 60+ years have gone to school with a bagged lunch from home. 8 year old kids aren't mature enough to make the right nutritional decisions on their own.

ensbergcollector
08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
i am perfectly fine with added fruits and veggies. however, until they find a way to put physical education back in (not "sit in a gym for an hour") it will only do so much. exercise is the best way to curb obesity IMO.

pghin08
08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
i am perfectly fine with added fruits and veggies. however, until they find a way to put physical education back in (not "sit in a gym for an hour") it will only do so much. exercise is the best way to curb obesity IMO.

Totally agree.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Childhood/adult obesity is becoming a national epidemic. I would love to see any conservative solutions to this issue.

"Eet mor chikn"

JustAlex
08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Awesome example why the U.S is the most obese nation on this planet.

Good Job America, at least we're still #1 at something!

theonedru
08-06-2012, 02:45 PM
I am all for healthier foods in the school, lord knows these days a lot of parents are clueless about nutrition, exercise or healthy lifestyles hence all the fat fat kids.
If your child is fat then its the parents fault, maybe the parents should try exercising with their kids and eat properly, they can both get healthy then.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I am all for healthier foods in the school, lord knows these days a lot of parents are clueless about nutrition, exercise or healthy lifestyles hence all the fat fat kids.
If your child is fat then its the parents fault, maybe the parents should try exercising with their kids and eat properly, they can both get healthy then.

The problem is it's basically proven that if you leave the children of your nation solely to the parents to raise your nation will continue to devolve.

boba
08-06-2012, 03:04 PM
My sister was a lunch lady for a middle school last year and the year before. She said that over those years they added more and more healthy food to the kid's meals.The funny thing about it is whenever they did this, the kids just threw away the healthy stuff and bought extra unhealthy stuff haha. It's a nice thought but I don't think it will actually accomplish anything.

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
maybe the liberal parents. <br />
<br />
none of my kids are obese and we packed their lunches until they were old enough to pack them themselves. perhaps us taking pride in ourselves and teaching our kids to...

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 03:36 PM
1 I wasn't talking strictly about the US <br />
2 I wasn't talking strictly about obesity <br />
3 Only liberals? Just because your kids aren't fat? There are no conservatives with fat kids because yours are...

theonedru
08-06-2012, 03:37 PM
The problem is it's basically proven that if you leave the children of your nation solely to the parents to raise your nation will continue to devolve.

Its sad that for rare exceptions this is true and Bobas post confirms this. It starts with the parents and all the fault or success lies with the parents.

theonedru
08-06-2012, 03:39 PM
maybe the liberal parents.

maybe a Lot of parents from BOTH sides jay. Lets not turn this into a liberal/conservative slam fest like most other threads. this is strictly parents doing regardless.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Its sad that for rare exceptions this is true and Bobas post confirms this. It starts with the parents and all the fault or success lies with the parents.
It takes a village, guys.

cardmasters
08-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Since the students have a diverse choice of other foods I support this. But if the government force the lunch program to only serve meat, a fruit, and a vetagable I would not support this because you can not force the student to eat it. When I was in school I always throw away my peas and green beans and it had nothing to do with my parents.

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 06:05 PM
no slam intended

the idea is why do we need bigger government? they have failed with medicare/medicade, they have failed with social securities and entitlements, they have failed at the budget and even taxation, but they should be able to pick the right food groups?

and liberals are all for bigger governement and government intervention

i wish my kids grades reflected all conservatives, but they don't.

the idea that the governement, who can't even get anything right up to now, is going to fix this just cracks me up.

duwal
08-06-2012, 06:27 PM
no slam intended

the idea is why do we need bigger government? they have failed with medicare/medicade, they have failed with social securities and entitlements, they have failed at the budget and even taxation, but they should be able to pick the right food groups?

the idea that the governement, who can't even get anything right up to now, is going to fix this just cracks me up.

you crack me up sometimes too. Political affiliation has nothing to do eating healthy or having a healthy, more productive lifestyle. If you think its just one side of the political party than sadly you just have your blinders on. Us conservatives have a big problem with kids and young adults being overweight and obese at the same ratio.

As a Republican I am all for the government showing the kids exactly what their options are as far as healthier options to live, I wish there was more of that when I was younger even though I didn't really need it with my high metabolism growing up but it still would have been nicer to have more people looking after the best interests of myself and my classmates

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
no slam intended
That's hard to believe when you say only (sorry, "maybe") liberal parents can't properly feed their kids., but I digress.

And they'll probably fail at this. But parents have already failed. Maybe you and some others have done a great job in this area, but the vast majority hasn't. This is a case of the many ruining it for the few. But you keep thinking it's the big bad liberals trying to run your life for the sake of running your life.

I consider myself liberal and I'm not in favour of big government. I'm in favour of a government that can do a good job and, the bigger the population, the bigger the government required. I doubt you'd find many liberals who are in favour of big government for the sake of big government. But hey, if you keep saying it, it might come true.

So their grades don't reflect all conservatives, but their eating habits do? The way you packed their lunch is indicative of how every conservative packs a lunch?

The idea that America's parents, who created the problem in the first place, are going to fix it is even more laughable.

So in the end we have a group who can't get anything right trying to fix a problem that a group who has gotten everything wrong thus far and you're trying to decide which of these groups can fix the problem?

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
wickabee, if i could count all the times you have attacked conservatives I would be counting for a long time, as well as with many of you, but say one thing about liberals and we should be sorry, I think not. anytime something is wrong and your first course of action is the government you are liberal.

what is strange if there is such a bad issue in america we have so many talented athletes and the best olympic team. there is no doubt an issue, but as always people pick and choose rather than jump in and get dirty, we should be arguing job creation, taxes, and the budget, but yet we press forward with gay marriage, gun control, and eating issues.

people on here who eat fresh fruits and vegetables know it is cheaper and easier to buy processed, but we don't. so is the fix giving people more money so they can afford better choices?

and to think lazy parents will be fixed by the government is laughable, this is the same group that gives more entitlements than ever.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
wickabee, if i could count all the times you have attacked conservatives I would be counting for a long time, as well as with many of you, but say one thing about liberals and we should be sorry, I think not. anytime something is wrong and your first course of action is the government you are liberal.
Go ahead and count. I just hope your definition of "attack" isn't along the lines of your definition of "excuse".

what is strange if there is such a bad issue in america we have so many talented athletes and the best olympic team. there is no doubt an issue, but as always people pick and choose rather than jump in and get dirty, we should be arguing job creation, taxes, and the budget, but yet we press forward with gay marriage, gun control, and eating issues.[QUOTE=shrewsbury;11925891]
I'll give you gay marriage, although, to pass off something you're against as "not being important enough right now" is tough to buy. If gay marriage were legal and your side was trying to repeal it, would it be "not important enough right now"? I don't want you to answer that as I know your answer will be the correct one for this situation ("Of course it would!") I want you to seriously think about that, and then remember it when they are trying to repeal it.

[QUOTE=shrewsbury;11925891]people on here who eat fresh fruits and vegetables know it is cheaper and easier to buy processed, but we don't. so is the fix giving people more money so they can afford better choices?
More money? We're talking about schools giving food directly to kids.

and to think lazy parents will be fixed by the government is laughable, this is the same group that gives more entitlements than ever.
Yup. This is also the same group that is up in arms about gay marriage and thinks paying $4.99 for a deep-fat fried piece of chicken supports free speech. So we agree neither group is going to fix it...who is?

INTIMADATOR2007
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Awesome example why the U.S is the most obese nation on this planet.

Good Job America, at least we're still #1 at something!
IMO , Food Stamps not School lunches are the problem w/ obeisity .

INTIMADATOR2007
08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Why does a teacher or cafeteria worker have the right to take away a 4 yr. old girls lunch brought from home that the school deemed unhealty when it was more healthy than what the school gave her.http://www.theblaze.com/stories/n-c-food-inspector-sends-girls-lunch-home-after-determining-its-not-healthy-enough/

Government out of control !

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Why does a teacher or cafeteria worker have the right to take away a 4 yr. old girls lunch brought from home that the school deemed unhealty when it was more healthy than what the school gave her.http://www.theblaze.com/stories/n-c-food-inspector-sends-girls-lunch-home-after-determining-its-not-healthy-enough/

Government out of control !

That is totally wrong and goes against the spirit of the law, if not the letter.

shrewsbury
08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
we are talking about less than 25% of meals eaten at schools, and how are the schools paying for this? I have no problems with this, but this will do nothing about the real issues of their parenting and home life.

Zimbow
08-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Man, I wish my high school served more fruits and veggies when I attended.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 12:15 AM
we are talking about less than 25% of meals eaten at schools, and how are the schools paying for this? I have no problems with this, but this will do nothing about the real issues of their parenting and home life.

What recourse is there to deal with the home life issue that wouldn't be seen as government interference?

shrewsbury
08-07-2012, 01:13 AM
well if you are on entitlements there is no such thing as government interference, if not then I would rather see them target an issue from its source. if you are going to do it, do it right. and no matter how they try it, people are still going to complain.

we spent $25 at the local stand on sunday, we have only 3 zukes, 1 tomato, and a melon left. grant it we had a juice fest for dinner, but still, it is pretty costly to eat fresh when available.

i think a tax break for eating local and fresh would not be a bad idea. it would help cut costs to eat healthier, and provide better business to locals, a win, win.

but it still would not stop most from bad eating habits.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 01:39 AM
well if you are on entitlements there is no such thing as government interference, if not then I would rather see them target an issue from its source. if you are going to do it, do it right. and no matter how they try it, people are still going to complain.

we spent $25 at the local stand on sunday, we have only 3 zukes, 1 tomato, and a melon left. grant it we had a juice fest for dinner, but still, it is pretty costly to eat fresh when available.

i think a tax break for eating local and fresh would not be a bad idea. it would help cut costs to eat healthier, and provide better business to locals, a win, win.

Cut tax on fresh produce altogether. I think it's a great idea. But like you said it still wouldn't help. This leads me to two points:
A: Like you said let's get to the root of the problem. There are a lot of variables that have led to the obesity problem, but I'll bet you fast food advertising plays a pretty major role. With how harshly tobacco companies are treated in regards to advertising, I'm amazed no one has come out against McDonald's, Taco Bell or Chik-Fil-A (wait...) and told them never to advertise to kids.

B: If nothing is going to help in thd home and even a tax cut wouldn't do it, does that mean the government shouldn't try where it can? These kids are your nature's future. The world's future, and right now the world is deigned for them to do two things. Sit and eat.

theonedru
08-07-2012, 01:46 AM

I find it actually quite cheap here in Seattle to buy fruits and vegetables from local resources. for 25 bucks I could have enough produce for a week or more. But then its just me and the wife.....

andrewhoya
08-07-2012, 08:44 AM
You guys do know that this will do absolutely nothing..... 50% of them already end up in the trash.

mrveggieman
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
You guys do know that this will do absolutely nothing..... 50% of them already end up in the trash.

I am very saddened and dismayed whenever I hear stories of perfectly good veggies being pitched in the trash. :Cry:

andrewhoya
08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
I eat mine ;) but that is because I am very health aware.
I am very saddened and dismayed whenever I hear stories of perfectly good veggies being pitched in the trash. :Cry:

Star_Cards
08-07-2012, 09:55 AM
really? adding more fruits and vegetables to school lunches is a negative thing? Most schools are government ran programs and they "control" what they buy to sell to the kid's for lunch. How exactly is this "one more attempt" when it's already under government control?

duane1969
08-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Too bad they don't mandate that school lunches be edible, tasty or desirable. They can be as healthy as possible but if it taste like crap and the kids toss it in the trash and go hungry because it is so tasteless then nothing is accomplished. for those who do not know, I am a school teacher and I see the trash cans full of lunch food being tossed out every day. If I had to guess I woulod say that on an average day less than 50% of the students actually consume their "healthy" lunch.

And child obesity is not won or lost in the school lunchroom. It is a pipedream to think that a healthy school lunch will fix or even make a dent in this issue. Kids eat junkfood for breakfast, drink a calorie loaded energy drink or juice on the way to school, have a cookie stashed in their bookbag for a snack because they know the lunch will be nasty, eat a Little Debbie cake as soon as they get home, have Pizza rolls for a pre-dinner snack, eat cheeseburgers for dinner, have a piece of cake just before bed and drink soda the whole time. A healthy school lunch means nothing.

angel0430
08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I totally agree with this. Most students go to public school and they do not pay for lunch. The ones that pay, pay a small amount dpending on what there kids wants to eat. You want to study for free, then you are going to eat what I provide. If you don't like it, bring your own lunch. All sodas and sweets should be eliminated from schools. Only healthy foods should be served.

angel0430
08-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Too bad they don't mandate that school lunches be edible, tasty or desirable. They can be as healthy as possible but if it taste like crap and the kids toss it in the trash and go hungry because it is so tasteless then nothing is accomplished. for those who do not know, I am a school teacher and I see the trash cans full of lunch food being tossed out every day. If I had to guess I woulod say that on an average day less than 50% of the students actually consume their "healthy" lunch.

And child obesity is not won or lost in the school lunchroom. It is a pipedream to think that a healthy school lunch will fix or even make a dent in this issue. Kids eat junkfood for breakfast, drink a calorie loaded energy drink or juice on the way to school, have a cookie stashed in their bookbag for a snack because they know the lunch will be nasty, eat a Little Debbie cake as soon as they get home, have Pizza rolls for a pre-dinner snack, eat cheeseburgers for dinner, have a piece of cake just before bed and drink soda the whole time. A healthy school lunch means nothing.

So your are saying that the governemtn is wrong for giving healthy choices to the kids ? In this case the parents are the ones on the wrong and they should be punished for all the medical conditions that there kids have. It si fine that every now and then kids get an unhealthy food but when you go to the gorcery store and all you buy is frozen dinners, pizza and soda, do not bl;mae it on the government when you or your child gets sick.

duane1969
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I totally agree with this. Most students go to public school and they do not pay for lunch. The ones that pay, pay a small amount dpending on what there kids wants to eat. You want to study for free, then you are going to eat what I provide. If you don't like it, bring your own lunch. All sodas and sweets should be eliminated from schools. Only healthy foods should be served.

For the most part "healthy" foods that are served by schools are no better than junk foods.

Which of these would you consider to be more healthy?

A) a 12 ounce drink with 170 calories, 80mg of sodium, 47g of carbohydrates
B) a 12 ounce drink with 210 calories, 187.5mg of sodium, 52.5g of carbohydrates
C) a 12 ounce drink with 195 calories, 160mg of sodium, 48g cabohydrates

On the surface most people will choose A and avoid B and C. Most people will also be surprised to learn tha A is a can of A&W Root Beer, B is a can of V8 Fusion Concord Grape Raspberry juice made with 100% juice and C is a can of OceanSpray CranApple juice. So the "healthy" 100% juice which includes a full serving of fruits and vegetables and the "healthy" cranapple juice which touts that it has no corn syrup, artificial colors or flavors are higher in calories and carbs and double the sodium of a soft drink. So much for "healthy" choices in our schools.

So your are saying that the governemtn is wrong for giving healthy choices to the kids ? In this case the parents are the ones on the wrong and they should be punished for all the medical conditions that there kids have. It si fine that every now and then kids get an unhealthy food but when you go to the gorcery store and all you buy is frozen dinners, pizza and soda, do not bl;mae it on the government when you or your child gets sick.

I am saying that the government isn't always right. Serving healthy food that taste so nasty that the kids refuse to eat it is a simple waste. I am saying that just a little common sense and logic would go a long way.

mrveggieman
08-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I am saying that the government isn't always right. Serving healthy food that taste so nasty that the kids refuse to eat it is a simple waste. I am saying that just a little common sense and logic would go a long way.

Common sense and logic in the gov't. No I never heard of such a thing.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Duane, you do know that calories and carbs are not inherently bad, right. They are the fuel your body runs on. Don't get me wrong, that bit in NY with the soda sizing is ridiculous, but the other two are still likely healthier than that root beer. The only place you have a point is on the sodium, but even there, sodium is naturally occurring in fruits and vegetables, the sodium in the root beer is added for some reason. Even sodium isn't inherently bad. You're kind of throwing out half-truths here.
The problem isn't that there's too many calories or too many carbs or too much sodium. The problem is that a lot of kids are drinking the root beer 5 times a day and not moving. Kids are fat not only because they're eating carbs, but because they're not burning them off. Right now the kids are so full of this crap you can't get them off the couch. I hear a lot of people saying "PHYSICAL EDUCATION" but the way kids are right now, if you just started running them around a gym, you'd have to get every one of them their own defibrillator.

mrveggieman
08-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Duane, you do know that calories and carbs are not inherently bad, right. They are the fuel your body runs on. Don't get me wrong, that bit in NY with the soda sizing is ridiculous, but the other two are still likely healthier than that root beer. The only place you have a point is on the sodium, but even there, sodium is naturally occurring in fruits and vegetables, the sodium in the root beer is added for some reason. Even sodium isn't inherently bad. You're kind of throwing out half-truths here.
The problem isn't that there's too many calories or too many carbs or too much sodium. The problem is that a lot of kids are drinking the root beer 5 times a day and not moving. Kids are fat not only because they're eating carbs, but because they're not burning them off. Right now the kids are so full of this crap you can't get them off the couch. I hear a lot of people saying "PHYSICAL EDUCATION" but the way kids are right now, if you just started running them around a gym, you'd have to get every one of them their own defibrillator.

So true. A lot of school systems are actually eliminating recess and phys ed. And you wondering why these kids are getting fat and lazy. They don't exercise at school then go straight home to their cellphones, ipads, laptops, dvds and video games. You know I'm glad that I grew up in the 1980s and did not get my first videogame system until I was in high school and had the chance to play and get plenty of exercise growing up.

duane1969
08-07-2012, 05:07 PM

While you make valid points, they are not entirely solid. I took those numbers off of items in my fridge. I had purchased those juices as a substitute to get myself off of soda, specifically Mt. Dew. After nearly a month of no soda I was actually gaining weight. I talked to my doctor and he said that the higher levels of carbs, calories and sodium in the juices were doing as much damage as the soda. Carbs are carbs, calories are calories and sodium is sodium. The carbs and sodium in soda is derived naturally from juices and fruits, so it is the same stuff, just one is put there and the other is already there.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 05:25 PM
While you make valid points, they are not entirely solid. I took those numbers off of items in my fridge. I had purchased those juices as a substitute to get myself off of soda, specifically Mt. Dew.
Mt. Dew, while delicious, is one of the worst things you can put in your body. It took me a long time to stop drinking that code red they had.

After nearly a month of no soda I was actually gaining weight. I talked to my doctor and he said that the higher levels of carbs, calories and sodium in the juices were doing as much damage as the soda. Carbs are carbs, calories are calories and sodium is sodium. The carbs and sodium in soda is derived naturally from juices and fruits, so it is the same stuff, just one is put there and the other is already there.
Well, first I'd ask how active you are. If you're not (which I'm not judging either way) then yes you're going to gain weight. If you are active, those extra carbs and calories give you more energy. That's what fat is, stored energy. You put X carbs in your body to get an energy level of Y. If you don't use all of Y you are left with Z, the remaining fat. Have you ever heard, "I started working out to lose weight but I actually started gaining, so I stopped"? I have, and it's a theory with little though in it. When you work out, you not only burn fat, but gain muscle and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue. It's couter-intuitive, but it's the way it is. Same with the drinks here.

Then there's also the fact that you are dealing with mass produced food products designed to stay fresh for a long, long time. I don't care if it's "Pure Fruit Juice with no added sugar" there's added sugar. They call it glucose, fructose, glucose-fructose and a host of other names, but no "sugar". Most mass commercial juices are just as bad, if not worse than pop. I'm sure if you squeezed an apple into a glass and put it next to that root beer, it would be a hundred times healthier. Sure there may be more carbs, apples are good for energy (little tip, an apple is actually better than a cup of coffee to wake you in the morning and way healthier), there may be more sugar even, but it's naturally occurring sugar which is needed by our bodied. That root beer has refined and bleached sugar that is more difficult for our bodies to process. There's also the fact that root beer holds no vitamins, another building block for our bodies that we need to continually replenish. I would venture a guess that those juices of yours have more vitamins in them and the apple juice definitely has more than those juices, as the processes most juices go through tend to leech some of the vitamins and nutrients out. If you want to lose empty carbs, never eat white bread. It's the same as brown, but bleached. The bleaching process takes anything of value out of the bread and you're left with nothing but empty carbs for your body to turn into sugar and then turn into fat.

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Mt. Dew, while delicious, is one of the worst things you can put in your body. It took me a long time to stop drinking that code red they had.

Well, first I'd ask how active you are. If you're not (which I'm not judging either way) then yes you're going to gain weight. If you are active, those extra carbs and calories give you more energy. That's what fat is, stored energy. You put X carbs in your body to get an energy level of Y. If you don't use all of Y you are left with Z, the remaining fat. Have you ever heard, "I started working out to lose weight but I actually started gaining, so I stopped"? I have, and it's a theory with little though in it. When you work out, you not only burn fat, but gain muscle and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue. It's couter-intuitive, but it's the way it is. Same with the drinks here.

Then there's also the fact that you are dealing with mass produced food products designed to stay fresh for a long, long time. I don't care if it's "Pure Fruit Juice with no added sugar" there's added sugar. They call it glucose, fructose, glucose-fructose and a host of other names, but no "sugar". Most mass commercial juices are just as bad, if not worse than pop. I'm sure if you squeezed an apple into a glass and put it next to that root beer, it would be a hundred times healthier. Sure there may be more carbs, apples are good for energy (little tip, an apple is actually better than a cup of coffee to wake you in the morning and way healthier), there may be more sugar even, but it's naturally occurring sugar which is needed by our bodied. That root beer has refined and bleached sugar that is more difficult for our bodies to process. There's also the fact that root beer holds no vitamins, another building block for our bodies that we need to continually replenish. I would venture a guess that those juices of yours have more vitamins in them and the apple juice definitely has more than those juices, as the processes most juices go through tend to leech some of the vitamins and nutrients out. If you want to lose empty carbs, never eat white bread. It's the same as brown, but bleached. The bleaching process takes anything of value out of the bread and you're left with nothing but empty carbs for your body to turn into sugar and then turn into fat.

Great points. I also wondered what is the purpose of bleaching brown bread to turn it white? I always thought that brown bread tastes better anyway.

duane1969
08-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Yeah I am aware of the losing fat/gaining muscle issue. I don't lift right now, just cardio. I eventually will get back into lifting but my first goal is to reduce my waistline.

I am actually avoiding the "no carbs" concept. I did the low carb diet about 2 years ago and dropped something like 35 pounds. The problem is that A) nobody can go their entire lifetime without carbs so once you start eating them the weight jumps back on, and B) I was taking in way too much fat in replacement foods. My goal right now is a healthier diet overall and cardio workouts (I am slowly building into the P90X workout OMG!).

Great points. I also wondered what is the purpose of bleaching brown bread to turn it white? I always thought that brown bread tastes better anyway.

I have wondered the same. I LOVE whole wheat bread.

EDIT: I looked it up. Bleaching removes a lot of the oils that exist in the whole grains and increases shelf life. After reading that I realized that I can recall numerous occasions where I bought a loaf of white and a loaf of wheat at the same time and the wheat started to mold within a week while the white was still fairly fresh.

tpeichel
08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Government subsidies for the ingredients used in processed foods is a huge issue since it drives down the cost of junk food. (It's crazy when the poor in your country have an obesity epidemic.) If we should be subsidizing anything, it should be fruits and vegetables.

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Government subsidies for the ingredients used in processed foods is a huge issue since it drives down the cost of junk food. (It's crazy when the poor in your country have an obesity epidemic.) If we should be subsidizing anything, it should be fruits and vegetables.

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

Don't say anything to make me revoke it. :sign0020:

shrewsbury
08-08-2012, 02:56 PM
A lot of school systems are actually eliminating recess and phys ed. And you wondering why these kids are getting fat and lazy

and you should add that a lot of schools are going to "pay to play" for all sports, which causes even more kids not to be physically active because their parents cannot afford it.