PDA

View Full Version : Terry Newell: Where Are the Role Models?

mikesilvia
08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Young people learn not just from their textbooks but from the way adults treat them. They learn not only from flowery words but from factual deeds.

More... (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/terry-newell/where-are-the-role-models_b_1746357.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics)

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
They're out protestibg fast food and eating chicken sandwiches for change. They're blocking bills because the other guys came up with them. They're screaming for birth certificates and tax returns.

In other words, they're ruining...I mean running the country.

mrveggieman
08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
They're out protestibg fast food and eating chicken sandwiches for change. They're blocking bills because the other guys came up with them. They're screaming for birth certificates and tax returns.

In other words, they're ruining...I mean running the country.

Aint that the truth. :cheer2:

theonedru
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
The only role models one needs are the people that raised you.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
The only role models one needs are the people that raised you.

So a father who beats his kids is an adequate role model for said kids?

theonedru
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
So a father who beats his kids is an adequate role model for said kids?

Sure he can be a model of what NOT to do.. I didn't say it had to be positive, I thought people would be smart enough to come to that conclusion on their own.

Wickabee
08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Sure he can be a model of what NOT to do.. I didn't say it had to be positive, I thought people would be smart enough to come to that conclusion on their own.

Ok, so that kid has a model of what not to do. So who's teaching him what to do instead?

Also, why should I come to the conclusion that a kid is going to look at what his father is doing and inherently know it's wrong? If that were the rule and not knowing it's wrong were the exception, we wouldn't be hearing about the cycle of violence/criminality/alcoholism/drug use/etc so much.We tell kids smoking is bad for you, it will kill you. They know this almost as well as we do. Yet, if a parent smokes the kid is much, much more likely to start smoking, even though he knows it's an example of what not to do. Your theory works, until you put a little more thought into it.