PDA

View Full Version : Harry Reid not releasing his own tax returns

mikesilvia
08-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid again deflected questions Monday about releasing his tax returns, even as he continued to pound the demand for Mitt Romney to make more of his own public.

Instead, Reid pointed to the financial disclosure forms he files as a member of Congress, which provide different information.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79419.html#ixzz22tRPGTLk

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Someone should release Reid into the wild.

mikesilvia
08-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Someone should release Reid into the wild.

+1

I do find it funny that Harry Reid states that he's a Senator and doesn't have to, but asks Romney to release tax returns that he doesn't have to.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Meh, there's nothing wrong with Reid asking and Romney saying no and there's nothing wrong with Reid saying no, though if he did release them, it would force Romney's hand. Unfortunately for Harry, I'm pretty sure their returns are going to look fairly similar in the tax dodging sense. The only thing I'd like to see in Romney's is if he really truly was "retroactively retired" (whatever that means) from Bane, but even that doesn't really matter.
The problem with Reid is, once three people say the same thing to him, he figures that's the general consensus and runs with it without thinking first. I have no problem with him saying Romney should release his taxes. If he didn't, some other Dem would. Where he screwed up was saying he has it on authority that Mitt didn't pay taxes for 10 years and then follow it up with, it was just a phone call, I don't know if it's true, etc. He also screwed up by, as John Stewart put it, playing the dead-father's-shame card, also, did he not figure someone was going to stand up and say Let's see your taxes?
The fact he's in government is a crime. The fact he's been alive this long is nothing short of a miracle. With that kind of stupidity, he really should have been accidentally killed by his own hand years ago.

mikesilvia
08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Meh, there's nothing wrong with Reid asking and Romney saying no and there's nothing wrong with Reid saying no, though if he did release them, it would force Romney's hand. Unfortunately for Harry, I'm pretty sure their returns are going to look fairly similar in the tax dodging sense. The only thing I'd like to see in Romney's is if he really truly was "retroactively retired" (whatever that means) from Bane, but even that doesn't really matter.
The problem with Reid is, once three people say the same thing to him, he figures that's the general consensus and runs with it without thinking first. I have no problem with him saying Romney should release his taxes. If he didn't, some other Dem would. Where he screwed up was saying he has it on authority that Mitt didn't pay taxes for 10 years and then follow it up with, it was just a phone call, I don't know if it's true, etc. He also screwed up by, as John Stewart put it, playing the dead-father's-shame card, also, did he not figure someone was going to stand up and say Let's see your taxes?
The fact he's in government is a crime. The fact he's been alive this long is nothing short of a miracle. With that kind of stupidity, he really should have been accidentally killed by his own hand years ago.

Good stuff!

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
:love0030:

MadMan1978
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow Mike you most be bored and have NOTHING better to do

I have NO Problems with his at all
He is not required by law to release them, as well neither is Romney.
However, I am sure Reid has nothing to hide.

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Romney's running for President, Reid isn't. First response from Republicans is denial (he doesn't have to), next response is deflection (let's see your's). Attack the messenger all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Romney could "stand his ground", instead he chooses to run and hide.

pghin08
08-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Wow Mike you most be bored and have NOTHING better to do

I have NO Problems with his at all
He is not required by law to release them, as well neither is Romney.
However, I am sure Reid has nothing to hide.

Why do you think that Reid has nothing to hide, but Romney does?

MadMan1978
08-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Was Reid Accused of anything similar to Bain Capital?

Did Reid take a $77,000 tax credit on a horse?

Has Reid been accused of NOT Paying Taxes?

oh we did check Romney Paid his Taxes here in Mass-if anyone wondered at a 5.95% rate before adjustments.

and frankly Reid is not running for President -there is no reason for hi to so -By Law

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah but I ould accuse Reid of paying zero taxes for 10 years. In fact I do. Was told so on the phone, I don't know if it's true or not, but now it's up to him to prove me wrong.

Dems do you see how that holds as much water as Reid's accusation?
Reps do you see now that I am not a "mindless liberal, I just happen to lean left often?

pghin08
08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm with you, Wickabee. I'm not going to call someone out on something, and then when the tables are turned, not deliver. Cowardly move by Harry Reid, just cowardly.

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah but I ould accuse Reid of paying zero taxes for 10 years. In fact I do. Was told so on the phone, I don't know if it's true or not, but now it's up to him to prove me wrong.

Dems do you see how that holds as much water as Reid's accusation?
Reps do you see now that I am not a "mindless liberal, I just happen to lean left often?

Yes you can accuse Reid, but he is not running for PRESIDENT. It doesn't have to "hold water". Romney put himself in a corner by refusing to release anything other than the last two years. Although it is not legally required, it is standard procedure for presidential candidates in recent years. His refusal to do so, even after being accused of an outrageous claim speaks volumes to the validity of the claim or the fear of something else being seen. I am glad to see someone on the Democratic side having the nerve to press Romney on the issue.

pghin08
08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes you can accuse Reid, but he is not running for PRESIDENT. It doesn't have to "hold water". Romney put himself in a corner by refusing to release anything other than the last two years. Although it is not legally required, it is standard procedure for presidential candidates in recent years. His refusal to do so, even after being accused of an outrageous claim speaks volumes to the validity of the claim or the fear of something else being seen. I am glad to see someone on the Democratic side having the nerve to press Romney on the issue.

Who cares if he's not running for President? If you have the stones to call someone out, you better be ready to have it thrown back at you.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 09:38 PM

So no one should be asking for Reid's returns because he is not legally reqauired to, but Romney should release his despite not being legally required to? Paint it however you want, so far, Reid is the only one in the wrong, here. Sure, Romney would probably be better served releasing his returns. I'm pretty sure the GOP war machine can handle any twisting that comes from it, probably easier than what they're handling right now. But should he? Only if he decides to, that's his decision. Not mine, not yours, his. Until that time, by all means speculate as to what he's hiding. I encourage it. Lord knows the Republicans are coming up with stories about Obama's college papers and Reid's taxes that would make the Harry Potter series look like an Archie comic.

Whether he's running for President or not, the claim from Harry Reid is baseless and stupid. The Bain stuff would be interesting to see, but would it really affect the election? In propaganda only.
As for my claim about Reid, it's baseless and stupid too. No he's not running for President, but he is a high profile politician and his actions and words have consequences. Had he only asked for Romney to release them, then I would agree with you. Unfortunately he went shooting his mouth off like a kid on the playground and now he's shocked that he's being asked for his returns? I'm actually a little surprised at your take on this, Habs.

I just want to see Reid's returns so I can see if they're done in crayon. I have a $5 bet riding on it.

indexed
08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
The only good think I can say about Harry Reid is I like him more then Nancy Pelosi. Other then that I wish he would go away.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
The only good think I can say about Harry Reid is I like him more then Nancy Pelosi. Other then that I wish he would go away.

I'd actually take Pelosi over Reid, but I'm not a fan of hers either. It's kind of the difference between being shot in the knee or the gut.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
If you think that if Romney a multi multi multi millionaire has not paid his taxes in 10 years PUT DOWN THE KOOL AIDE the IRS would have already been on his butt years ago . Why people keep falling for this distraction is beyond me .But when the president has nothing but smear and shame left i see why.Whe nthe left gonna start accusing him of murder ? opp's they already have with the recent ad put out .

pghin08
08-07-2012, 09:59 PM
If you think that if Romney a multi multi multi millionaire has not paid his taxes in 10 years PUT DOWN THE KOOL AIDE the IRS would have already been on his butt years ago . Why people keep falling for this distraction is beyond me .But when the president has nothing but smear and shame left i see why.Whe nthe left gonna start accusing him of murder ? opp's they already have with the recent ad put out .

Did you even read the thread? It's not about Romney, it's about Hypocrite Harry. No one is accusing Romney of murder.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Did you even read the thread? It's not about Romney, it's about Hypocrite Harry. No one is accusing Romney of murder.A new ad from a super PAC supporting President Obama ties former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney to a family’s loss of health insurance and a woman’s subsequent death from cancer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/priorities-ad-ties-mitt-romney-to-cancer-death/2012/08/07/d723d8c0-e084-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_blog.html

Chicago style politics at it's best .By the way the ad as already been proved to be bogus , because Romney left the company 3 years before the lady's death ..if she even died .

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Did you even read the thread? It's not about Romney, it's about Hypocrite Harry. No one is accusing Romney of murder.
I got this thread confused with the other .But Romney is being accused of Murder.

shrewsbury
08-07-2012, 10:17 PM
the funny thing is romney was long gone by the time the plant closed

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 10:20 PM
the funny thing is romney was long gone by the time the plant closed
You would think these "smart" people running the show would do more fact checking on their stuff before spending money on an ad that is total garbage . But they got the word out and hope it sticks .

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM

One word. Kenya.

Be fair now.

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Who cares if he's not running for President? If you have the stones to call someone out, you better be ready to have it thrown back at you.

Couple things:

Has Reid asked Romney to show his tax returns? Or has he just made an outlandish claim?

If he just made an outlandish claim, Romney is free to do the same. If he asked Romney to produce his tax returns, Romney is free to ask for Reid's. However, Reid asked first.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Couple things:

Has Reid asked Romney to show his tax returns? Or has he just made an outlandish claim?

If he just made an outlandish claim, Romney is free to do the same. If he asked Romney to produce his tax returns, Romney is free to ask for Reid's. However, Reid asked first.

What if Reid did both then said Romney's father must be rolling in his grave over this. Is there not a point where someone says something so totally deranged that no one listens to him? If not there should be. Like after this, no one should pay any attention to Reid for 2 weeks. Well, except that nice lady who gives him juice while he watches his cartoons.

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 10:26 PM

Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? The IRS does not care how much you pay in taxes as long as you pay what you are legally required to pay. No one, not even Harry Reid, is saying Romney evaded paying taxes. How can you STILL not understand this?

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
What if Reid did both then said Romney's father must be rolling in his grave over this. Is there not a point where someone says something so totally deranged that no one listens to him? If not there should be. Like after this, no one should pay any attention to Reid for 2 weeks. Well, except that nice lady who gives him juice while he watches his cartoons.

Harry Reid is free to do whatever he wants. Romney is free to respond however he wants. This is politics. Reid is crazy as a fox. As I said before, Romney's tax returns play right into the narrative that the Democrats are trying to push for this campaign. As it stands now. Voters will be entering the voting booth with one clear thought among many others; what is Romney hiding.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Harry Reid is free to do whatever he wants. Romney is free to respond however he wants. This is politics. Reid is crazy as a fox. As I said before, Romney's tax returns play right into the narrative that the Democrats are trying to push for this campaign. As it stands now. Voters will be entering the voting booth with one clear thought among many others; what is Romney hiding.

They said that about Obama last time and look how that turned out.

I will agree Harry is crazy as a fox, so long as that fox is insane.

MadMan1978
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
All the teapublicans here just wish to attack another Democrat

They have plenty of chances to defend Romney and his tax plan. But NOT ONE STEPPED up to do so...

You would rather do the pointing game. the same thing they have DONE FOR YEARS! This is the game of the teapublicans in this thread and board.

I said it before if he has nothing to hide? then why not release them???

and yes i would say the same about ANY democrat running for president.
so drink that kool aid!

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
All the teapublicans here just wish to attack another Democrat

They have plenty of chances to defend Romney and his tax plan. But NOT ONE STEPPED up to do so...

You would rather do the pointing game. the same thing they have DONE FOR YEARS! This is the game of the teapublicans in this thread and board.

I said it before if he has nothing to hide? then why not release them???

and yes i would say the same about ANY democrat running for president.
so drink that kool aid!

Bolded goes for the Republican party as a whole, who doesn't seem to remember the ridiculous crap they tried 4 years ago.

shrewsbury
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
madman, the requirement would be running for president? how convenient.

but I am sure Obama doesn't have to release any records, no college records, nothing? but that is different, right?

you love to call names, but hate when others don't agree with your so called logic

and who on here is a teapublican? oh wait, anyone who disagrees with you, got it, buddy, got it

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? The IRS does not care how much you pay in taxes as long as you pay what you are legally required to pay. No one, not even Harry Reid, is saying Romney evaded paying taxes. How can you STILL not understand this?
How do you not understand Reid got on the SENATE FLOOR and said ROMNEY HAS NOT PAID TAXES IN 10 YEARS ..How hard is that to understand ? Not that he didn't pay enough , but he flat out didn't pay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VOIFRH0Zgs&feature=related

MadMan1978
08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
madman, the requirement would be running for president? how convenient.

but I am sure Obama doesn't have to release any records, no college records, nothing? but that is different, right?

you love to call names, but hate when others don't agree with your so called logic4

and who on here is a teapublican? oh wait, anyone who disagrees with you, got it, buddy, got it

ummm confused here ?

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
INTIMADATOR (can I call you TIM?) If Romney was smart and had nothing to hide, he would release those tax returns and slap Reid with a slander suit.

Though I think Habs' point is that he legally paid no taxes, using loopholes and shelters and such. I hate to bring it up, but that Olympic horse his wife has will be paid for by the American people once it starts having foals and paying off.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
One word. Kenya.

Be fair now.
Obama grew up in Kenya , How is that a distraction ? Is it the whole he was born there thing ?

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Obama grew up in Kenya , How is that a distraction ? Is it the whole he was born there thing ?

Yes. It was incorrect, it was pretty stupid and was nothing but a big distraction. Trump was out there demanding to see his BC for crap sakes.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-07-2012, 11:00 PM
INTIMADATOR (can I call you TIM?) If Romney was smart and had nothing to hide, he would release those tax returns and slap Reid with a slander suit.
I agree , I would like to see him turn them over ,So maybe they could get to the important things in this country. But the law says he dose not have to . He has done what the law requires ,what more could they ask for.They are just throwing stuff out there and hoping it sticks in which the tax thing is .The rest is just burning up time before the election so Obama dosen't have to run on his record.

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
How do you not understand Reid got on the SENATE FLOOR and said ROMNEY HAS NOT PAID TAXES IN 10 YEARS ..How hard is that to understand ? Not that he didn't pay enough , but he flat out didn't pay.

I will explain it again. Pretend I am talking really, really slow this time. There are occasions where it is perfectly legal to pay NO TAXES. Although YOU are not aware of this, the IRS is. Did Harry Reid say Romney OWED taxes and DID NOT pay them? No. He said no such thing.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
TIM (iI'm calling you TIM from now on) Yes, while Romney runs on his record of coming up with Obamacare in the first place...wait...
No, I agree there are much more important thing to worry about. I don't know what's sadder, the fact these people who are supposed run the country are mired down in this or the fact the public is eating it up.

Actually the saddest part is that the media is running this whole thing, and your country.

habsheaven
08-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Though I think Habs' point is that he legally paid no taxes, using loopholes and shelters and such. I hate to bring it up, but that Olympic horse his wife has will be paid for by the American people once it starts having foals and paying off.

I believe Reid is protected by some sort of priviledge for any statements made on the floor of the house. So he cannot be sued. One of our American friends can correct me if I am wrong. And yes Wickabee, I have explained that to him time and time again. He just isn't getting it.

Wickabee
08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Wait. You can say everyone in the country is guilty of child rape as long as you'rs a senator on the floor?

mikesilvia
08-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Funny how everyone keeps digging the trenches.

Just so I get this straight. Reid, probably the second most powerful man in the nation, doesn't need to release his tax records because he's not running for President? Where does it state that if you are running for President that you suddenly need to release more records than required by law?

The Senate Majority leader is extremely powerful. He decides what laws get voted on in the senate and many other things. To act like Reid is just a small fish in a big pond shows that some don't understand how congress works.

Neither man is required to release their tax returns. If I were Romney I call their bluff. "I'll release my tax records if Obama releases his medical and academic records and Reid releases his tax records." It would put an end to all this because there is no way Obama releases his academic records.

mikesilvia
08-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I believe Reid is protected by some sort of priviledge for any statements made on the floor of the house. So he cannot be sued. One of our American friends can correct me if I am wrong. And yes Wickabee, I have explained that to him time and time again. He just isn't getting it.

You are correct.

shrewsbury
08-08-2012, 12:30 AM
mike, excellent post!

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't understand why anyone cares about anyone's tax returns. This is nothing more than a red herring issue put out there by the Dems to distract from Obama's record.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't understand why anyone cares about anyone's tax returns. This is nothing more than a red herring issue put out there by the Dems to distract from Obama's record.

Kenya

habsheaven
08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Funny how everyone keeps digging the trenches.

Just so I get this straight. Reid, probably the second most powerful man in the nation, doesn't need to release his tax records because he's not running for President? Where does it state that if you are running for President that you suddenly need to release more records than required by law?

The Senate Majority leader is extremely powerful. He decides what laws get voted on in the senate and many other things. To act like Reid is just a small fish in a big pond shows that some don't understand how congress works.

Neither man is required to release their tax returns. If I were Romney I call their bluff. "I'll release my tax records if Obama releases his medical and academic records and Reid releases his tax records." It would put an end to all this because there is no way Obama releases his academic records.

No one is saying that Harry Reid is not a powerful person in government, but you cannot compare apples to oranges. Obama, the other guy running for president has released his tax returns (more than 2 years worth). The previous president released his tax returns. It has become the norm, whether legal required to or not. Obama's academic records have nothing to do with this issue. As for his medical records, he is required to release something isn't he, and he has as far as I am aware.

ensbergcollector
08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
No one is saying that Harry Reid is not a powerful person in government, but you cannot compare apples to oranges. Obama, the other guy running for president has released his tax returns (more than 2 years worth). The previous president released his tax returns. It has become the norm, whether legal required to or not. Obama's academic records have nothing to do with this issue. As for his medical records, he is required to release something isn't he, and he has as far as I am aware.

you are right that obama's academic record has nothing to do with this. however, bush, mccain, etc. have made their academic records available and the dems have used those to attack them. obama still chose not to release his. why aren't any of the dems upset about that? while academic records are a different subject then tax records, the idea of releasing information is still the same.

habsheaven
08-08-2012, 07:30 PM
you are right that obama's academic record has nothing to do with this. however, bush, mccain, etc. have made their academic records available and the dems have used those to attack them. obama still chose not to release his. why aren't any of the dems upset about that? while academic records are a different subject then tax records, the idea of releasing information is still the same.

Well I can only guess that the Dems aren't upset about it because he is their candidate. If the Republicans had a concern that could be addressed by seeing Obama's academic records and it was starting to hurt his re-election campaign then you would see upset Dems. Just like you are seeing upset Republicans wishing Romney would release his tax returns.

As I have said before, Romney's tax returns are only important to the Dems because they play into their campaign strategy. I am sure there is nothing illegal to be found in them, but they probably will reveal a none to favourable image for Romney. Harry Reid knew he would face criticism from both sides for upping the ante with an outrageous claim. The only credible defense is to release the returns or flatly reject it again. Calling for Reid to release his, or Obama to release more records unrelated to taxes after Romney has been "double-dared" reeks of as much desperation as Reid's comments did to begin with.

ensbergcollector
08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Well I can only guess that the Dems aren't upset about it because he is their candidate. If the Republicans had a concern that could be addressed by seeing Obama's academic records and it was starting to hurt his re-election campaign then you would see upset Dems. Just like you are seeing upset Republicans wishing Romney would release his tax returns.

As I have said before, Romney's tax returns are only important to the Dems because they play into their campaign strategy. I am sure there is nothing illegal to be found in them, but they probably will reveal a none to favourable image for Romney. Harry Reid knew he would face criticism from both sides for upping the ante with an outrageous claim. The only credible defense is to release the returns or flatly reject it again. Calling for Reid to release his, or Obama to release more records unrelated to taxes after Romney has been "double-dared" reeks of as much desperation as Reid's comments did to begin with.

for the most part we agree on this (shocking, i know). my issue is, obama has released his tax records therefore dems feel validated in calling for romney to do the same. but when mccain released his academic records, obama responded by threatening lawsuits to harvard and columbia if they released his.

but yes, most people don't attack their own candidate. i also agree with you on what would be found in romney's tax records.