PDA

View Full Version : Republicans: If the "Mainstream Media" is really in the tank for Democrats, then why?

pghin08
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Republicans, especially the more conservative ones, have lashed out at the "mainstream media" over the past several years. I've often wondered (and have never gotten a sufficient answer), if they really are in the tank for Democrats, what's their motivation behind it?

ALADOG
08-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Same as ambulance chasing lawyers. It is their political viewpoint reinforced in journalism school and by their peers. I can't wait to hear my opinion is not valid just because some lliberal says so without reason.

pwaldo
08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Are you really asking why a group of people made up mainly of people who identify as Democrats would be motivated to support Democrats?

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Can we get a definition on "mainstream" media. Is it just MSNBC and CNN? Do you include FOXNews (I'd say no since the claim is always about the entire mainstream media being liberal...I guess FOX is just a public access channel)? Are internet sites included? If so, which ones?

As much as conservatives complain about the "mainstream media" I still have no idea what they're talking about. FOX is mainstream, and they are so far down the Republican hole they can taste intestine.

Star_Cards
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I've also wondered this. I don't think it's as easy to answer by saying "they" have that viewpoint and it was reinforced in journalism school.

Star_Cards
08-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Can we get a definition on "mainstream" media. Is it just MSNBC and CNN? Do you include FOXNews (I'd say no since the claim is always about the entire mainstream media being liberal...I guess FOX is just a public access channel)? Are internet sites included? If so, which ones?

As much as conservatives complain about the "mainstream media" I still have no idea what they're talking about. FOX is mainstream, and they are so far down the Republican hole they can taste intestine.

nice post. fox is definitely mainstream media. there are plenty of right aligned main stream media outlets. Although I think he's speaking more about the stereotype of when people say main stream media. It simply isn't true from my perspective.

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
The media just like any other business is in out there to make money. They are going to publish whatever stories that will attract the most readers/viewers. Since fox news is catered to right wing conservatives naturally their "news" and I use that word lightly will cater to the right.

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
It's something I've always wondered as well. The bias in network news media is obvious. Have never understood why it is so blatant though. I assume it has to do with liberal journalism schools.

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 03:36 PM
nice post. fox is definitely mainstream media. there are plenty of right aligned main stream media outlets. Although I think he's speaking more about the stereotype of when people say main stream media. It simply isn't true from my perspective.

MSM = network news, not cable news

pghin08
08-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Truly, when people reference the Mainstream Media, I think of:

ABC
NBC
CBS
Fox News
CNN
MSNBC

and so on and so forth.

Aladog- There are plenty of conservative journalists out there. How did they make it through their "liberal journalism school"?

I think a lot of people (particularly those that didn't attend university) think of college as this liberal indoctrination. Maybe I'm naive here, or maybe it's because I attended a Catholic university, but I surely didn't see it that way.

habsheaven
08-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Okay. So which channels are cable news and which are network news? I always thought that ABC, NBC & CBS were the only network news channels leaving the rest to be cable news?

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 03:47 PM

ABC
NBC
CBS
Fox News
CNN
MSNBC

and so on and so forth.

Aladog- There are plenty of conservative journalists out there. How did they make it through their "liberal journalism school"?

I think a lot of people (particularly those that didn't attend university) think of college as this liberal indoctrination. Maybe I'm naive here, or maybe it's because I attended a Catholic university, but I surely didn't see it that way.

College can also be an extremely conservative indoctrination. For example years ago I had a good friend or mines who transferred to liberty universty aka jerry fallwell u. After her first semester there she did a complete 180. To be honest it got to the point that I couldn't deal with her anymore because of how they messed up that poor girl in the head. I even heard stories of how the black students down there were subject to racial harrassment. And this is supposed to be a christian college!

pghin08
08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
The media just like any other business is in out there to make money. They are going to publish whatever stories that will attract the most readers/viewers. Since fox news is catered to right wing conservatives naturally their "news" and I use that word lightly will cater to the right.

Okay, see this makes sense to me. If there is bias in the news media, shouldn't it be towards sensationalism rather than a political party? Sensationalism, tragedy and crisis sell newspapers and boost ratings. So essentially, if you're a news media mogul like a Ted Turner or Rupert Murdoch, here is the question you have to answer:

Would you rather further the Democratic agenda, Republican agenda, or make more money?

I think pretty much everyone in the world, if faced with this problem on a personal level, would choose to make more money. I know I would. Doesn't it just seem far more logical to be biased towards profit over everything else?

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 03:58 PM
FOX is network, whether conservatives like to admit it or not. FOX is part of the mainstream media, which conservatives claim is 100% liberal. FOXNews must be liberal (as well as, according to conservatives in this thread) every journalist alive.

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
FOX is network, whether conservatives like to admit it or not. FOX is part of the mainstream media, which conservatives claim is 100% liberal. FOXNews must be liberal (as well as, according to conservatives in this thread) every journalist alive.

Fox news liberal....:pound:

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 04:15 PM

ABC
NBC
CBS
Fox News
CNN
MSNBC

and so on and so forth.

Yes, but when you hear a conservative commentator refer to the MSM, they are talking about the networks.

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Okay. So which channels are cable news and which are network news? I always thought that ABC, NBC & CBS were the only network news channels leaving the rest to be cable news?

That's right.

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 04:17 PM

It is a network, but it does not have network news programming. All (I think) of its news programming is on cable.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
It is a network, but it does not have network news programming. All (I think) of its news programming is on cable.

FOX has news. FOXNews is their 24/7 cycle.

Unless you're talking solely national, then I don't think FOX does. However, if you line up all the FOX local newscasts, every one is a parroting of every other one, except for the truly local stories.

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
FOX has news. FOXNews is their 24/7 cycle.

Unless you're talking solely national, then I don't think FOX does. However, if you line up all the FOX local newscasts, every one is a parroting of every other one, except for the truly local stories.

The Fox network only has a local newscast. The national news stories probably cover about 20% of their airtime, so I don't think you could really consider that network news.

habsheaven
08-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Well all I watch is CNN and I am so glad to hear that it isn't part of the MSM. I knew it all along but it's nice to get confirmation from the right that they aren't part of the problem.

pghin08
08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Well all I watch is CNN and I am so glad to hear that it isn't part of the MSM. I knew it all along but it's nice to get confirmation from the right that they aren't part of the problem.

Lol.

ALADOG
08-08-2012, 04:56 PM

ABC
NBC
CBS
Fox News
CNN
MSNBC

and so on and so forth.

Colleges in general are liberal. My family went to church based schools and they were as liberal as the state schools, if not more. Sewanee in TN is an Episcopal school and lsited as one of the most liberal schools in the nation. Profesors in state college have tenure and are on the gov't payroll without fear of reprisal. Why would they bite the hand that feeds them. They have a vested interest in the status qou of big and bigger gov't. It is self perpetuating.

The mainstream media has always been defined as network channels which started over the airwaves (ABC, CBS and NBC). Walter Croncrite and Dan Rather are two great examples of liberal bias from long ago. And whoever suggestd it is a business decision is lost. When there was no cable, there was no conservative alternative. So much for a business decision. Again as someone has said, you aren't really asking why a bunch of self professed iberals are supporting a liberal agenda. Even though there are some conservative journalists, the power of what gets ot the playlist is still liberal controlled.

But I know my opininon is not valid juts because some liberal says so without justification or logic.

ALADOG
08-08-2012, 04:58 PM
College can also be an extremely conservative indoctrination. For example years ago I had a good friend or mines who transferred to liberty universty aka jerry fallwell u. After her first semester there she did a complete 180. To be honest it got to the point that I couldn't deal with her anymore because of how they messed up that poor girl in the head. I even heard stories of how the black students down there were subject to racial harrassment. And this is supposed to be a christian college!

You point out one school. For every one you point out to the right there are 10 to the left

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Colleges in general are liberal. My family went to church based schools and they were as liberal as the state schools, if not more. Sewanee in TN is an Episcopal school and lsited as one of the most liberal schools in the nation. Profesors in state college have tenure and are on the gov't payroll without fear of reprisal. Why would they bite the hand that feeds them. They have a vested interest in the status qou of big and bigger gov't. It is self perpetuating.
So where did all the conservative journalists go? Or are they completely without accreditation?

The mainstream media has always been defined as network channels which started over the airwaves (ABC, CBS and NBC). Walter Croncrite and Dan Rather are two great examples of liberal bias from long ago. And whoever suggestd it is a business decision is lost. When there was no cable, there was no conservative alternative. So much for a business decision. Again as someone has said, you aren't really asking why a bunch of self professed iberals are supporting a liberal agenda. Even though there are some conservative journalists, the power of what gets ot the playlist is still liberal controlled.
This only works if ABC, NBC and CBS are the only "mainstream" media. I'd throw FOX into "mainstream" media, as they have quite a hold on quite a large segment of the population. If there is absolutely no difference between mainstream and network, then why give it the new name "mainstream" rather than going with the already existing "network"? To me it looks like an attempt to make it look like a bigger thing than it really is. Network = 3. Mainstream = ?. Mainstream has the connotation of including any largely watched or listened to source, but that would include Fox, Rush Limbaugh, et al. So you change the definition of "mainstream" to mean "network" and nothing more. Looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

But I know my opininon is not valid juts because some liberal says so without justification or logic.

1 - Enough with the wounded bear act.
2 - I could just as easily say my opinion is not valid juts because some liberal says so without justification or logic based on you.
3 - Just because someone disagrees and challenges you doesn't mean your opinion is worthless. You actually, and for once, defended your point. Just because I've questioned it doesn't mean I think your opinion is worthless. Quite frankly, this is the first time you've presented your opinion in full without using attacks or insults. Just an unnecessary "poor me" statement meant to keep anyone from disagreeing with you.

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
You point out one school. For every one you point out to the right there are 10 to the left

Most of those so called liberal colleges that you claim are pretty moderate and you only call them liberal because they are not conservative enough for you.

ALADOG
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
So where did all the conservative journalists go? Or are they completely without accreditation?

This only works if ABC, NBC and CBS are the only "mainstream" media. I'd throw FOX into "mainstream" media, as they have quite a hold on quite a large segment of the population. If there is absolutely no difference between mainstream and network, then why give it the new name "mainstream" rather than going with the already existing "network"? To me it looks like an attempt to make it look like a bigger thing than it really is. Network = 3. Mainstream = ?. Mainstream has the connotation of including any largely watched or listened to source, but that would include Fox, Rush Limbaugh, et al. So you change the definition of "mainstream" to mean "network" and nothing more. Looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

1 - Enough with the wounded bear act.
2 - I could just as easily say my opinion is not valid juts because some liberal says so without justification or logic based on you.
3 - Just because someone disagrees and challenges you doesn't mean your opinion is worthless. You actually, and for once, defended your point. Just because I've questioned it doesn't mean I think your opinion is worthless. Quite frankly, this is the first time you've presented your opinion in full without using attacks or insults. Just an unnecessary "poor me" statement meant to keep anyone from disagreeing with you.

NOt wounded bear, just facts. The liberals on this boarddo not reason with logic, just say your posiiton is not valid because I say so.

Just like you want to change the definition of mainstream media just to attempt to justify your position. You again try to distort. I have NEVER SUGGESTED there are not conservative journalists, just that they are out numbered.

Waiting for a lib to say my opinions are not valid just because they say so.

ALADOG
08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Most of those so called liberal colleges that you claim are pretty moderate and you only call them liberal because they are not conservative enough for you.

Wrong again. They have a vested interes tin staying liberal even though you choose to ignore this.

Waiting for the hammer from a lib teling me my opinions are not valid just because they say so

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM
NOt wounded bear, just facts. The liberals on this boarddo not reason with logic, just say your posiiton is not valid because I say so.
Total wounded bear. And as far as what you're accusing the boards of, you're the worst offender around here.

Just like you want to change the definition of mainstream media just to attempt to justify your position. You again try to distort. I have NEVER SUGGESTED there are not conservative journalists, just that they are out numbered.
I don't want to change the definition of mainstream, YOU already did. Stop accusing others of your sins.

Waiting for a lib to say my opinions are not valid just because they say so.
I've actually come out with responses to what you've said. I've not said you opinions aren't valid. YOU on the other hand have ignored everything I said except for the last part telling you to stop with the wouned bear. Stop making accusations of what is about to happen and stick to the issue. Respond to what I said above the part you actually read instead of just whining that "some liberal is going to tell me my opinion isn't valid". No one has said that here, but you are evading the issue.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
It's not hard to figure out guy's why the mainstream media is in the lap of democrats especially with this administration. Follow the Money , Who owns most of the mainstream media ? Start with NBC,CNBC,MSNBC. Its fair to say these are by far the worst of being in bed w/ this administration. It's not surprising the man who owns "mainstreet" media is no other than Jeffery Emelt , The owner of GE .The top advisor to Obama's Job Council . Reciver of Billions in stimulas funds and one of Obama's top donors. One of the biggest Crooks in this country .

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
You guys have Rupert Murdoch and Ted Turner, so we're back on even ground.

pghin08
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
You guys have Rupert Murdoch and Ted Turner, so we're back on even ground.

Is Ted Turner a Republican?

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Well I was certain until now.

Seriously this is one of those things I knew and now I'm questioning it because I can't remember where I got it from. God I hate this.

EDIT:
After some Googling, the closest I can find is that he's "neither republican nor democrat. He's for whatever makes him money."

Ultimately, it seems he keeps his voting practices mostly to himself, but he has been praising Romney lately. Also he hates Rupert Murdoch ever since Murdoch sunk his boat, haha.

pghin08
08-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Seriously this is one of those things I knew and now I'm questioning it because I can't remember where I got it from. God I hate this.

EDIT:
After some Googling, the closest I can find is that he's "neither republican nor democrat. He's for whatever makes him money."

Ultimately, it seems he keeps his voting practices mostly to himself, but he has been praising Romney lately. Also he hates Rupert Murdoch ever since Murdoch sunk his boat, haha.

This was my whole point, a bias towards profit, not party.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 09:06 PM
This was my whole point, a bias towards profit, not party.

Does that go for everyone?

pghin08
08-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Does that go for everyone?

What would you choose? Further your party's agenda? Or make more money?

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 09:25 PM
What would you choose? Further your party's agenda? Or make more money?

How does Rupert Murdoch do both?

pghin08
08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
How does Rupert Murdoch do both?

Fox News is only a small part of his empire.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 10:09 PM
From what I gather he runs it all the same and considers himself pretty above the law.

pwaldo
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM

EDIT:

I know Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Georgia_%28U.S._state%29_Democrats

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 10:35 PM
I know Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Georgia_%28U.S._state%29_Democrats

Interesting. On Ted's Wikipedia page it says he was a member of the Young Republicans.

I think we've found someone with no affiliation who only does what's best for him and only him. As much as people like to think this is common, I really don't believe it is.

ALADOG
08-09-2012, 09:59 AM

He was married to Jane Fonda and you still have to ask?

pghin08
08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
He was married to Jane Fonda and you still have to ask?

Lol. He also divorced Jane Fonda.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Ted Turner is Roseann Barr without the dress , Not much difference.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Ted Turner is Roseann Barr without the dress , Not much difference.

There's a huge difference. About a 100lb difference.

But this is distracting from the point. What I want to know is, if all colleges are liberal and that's why journalists are liberal, how did any conservative journalists survive without being brainwashed like everyone else?

ALADOG
08-09-2012, 07:36 PM
There's a huge difference. About a 100lb difference.

But this is distracting from the point. What I want to know is, if all colleges are liberal and that's why journalists are liberal, how did any conservative journalists survive without being brainwashed like everyone else?

Why do liberals dwell so much on the exception rather than the majority. How did JustAlex become an atheist when he tells us his parents are devout Christians? Not all peopel are weak and easily manipulated.

Bracing for the onslaught of liberals telling me I am wrong and have no valid point not based on facts, only that they are liberal and always right.

habsheaven
08-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Why do liberals dwell so much on the exception rather than the majority. How did JustAlex become an atheist when he tells us his parents are devout Christians? Not all peopel are weak and easily manipulated.

Bracing for the onslaught of liberals telling me I am wrong and have no valid point not based on facts, only that they are liberal and always right.

It sounds like you are saying Alex isn't weak or easily manipulated. Congrats on giving him such a glowing compliment. I am sure he appreciates it. However, you are also implying that if your parents are Christian you might be weak and easily manipulated for blindly following their illogical religion.

ALADOG
08-09-2012, 08:01 PM
It sounds like you are saying Alex isn't weak or easily manipulated. Congrats on giving him such a glowing compliment. I am sure he appreciates it. However, you are also implying that if your parents are Christian you might be weak and easily manipulated for blindly following their illogical religion.

Just answering the question about journaists. Only used Alex as an example. No intent on making any judgements.
I know it is difficult for liberals to stay on topic as deflection to something else is taught in liberalism 101. Best is to respond to a question with another question totally unrelated.

habsheaven
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Just answering the question about journaists. Only used Alex as an example. No intent on making any judgements.
I know it is difficult for liberals to stay on topic as deflection to something else is taught in liberalism 101. Best is to respond to a question with another question totally unrelated.

Blah, blah, blah.... same old tired responses. Where do you see a question mark in my last post? There is none. I didn't ask you anything. That would be a waste of time.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Where in any of that babble was an answer. I saw statements but nothing that answered any questions. I saw you ask a question. Maybe that's what you meant.

ALADOG
08-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Where in any of that babble was an answer. I saw statements but nothing that answered any questions. I saw you ask a question. Maybe that's what you meant.

I answered the way you did. I did not ask for a disertation about my upbringing and my religious belief but you felt obligated to telll me my religion is iinvalid without any basis, just your arrogant I am right and you are wrong attitude. As far as a question answering a question I was just setting the table for when you deflect in that manner.
Bracing for the attacks stating my poinit is invalid just because a liberal does not agree, even though there are no facts on his/her side.

habsheaven
08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
He's really confused.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I answered the way you did. I did not ask for a disertation about my upbringing and my religious belief but you felt obligated to telll me my religion is iinvalid without any basis, just your arrogant I am right and you are wrong attitude. As far as a question answering a question I was just setting the table for when you deflect in that manner.
Bracing for the attacks stating my poinit is invalid just because a liberal does not agree, even though there are no facts on his/her side.
You have me confused with someone else. I have never said any religion isn't valid. You should check your facts before you go around making accusations like that. Your religion is definitely as valid as any other. You are a different story.

ALADOG
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
It was habsheaven in post 47 who arbitrarily denounced my religion as ilogical.

habsheaven
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM

I was referring to religion as a whole. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. all are equally illogical. Wasn't singling you out per say. Glad to see you are reading though.

Wickabee
08-10-2012, 10:49 PM
So what you're saying is you owe me an apology for accusing me of it. Ok, I'm waiting.

Wickabee
08-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I was referring to religion as a whole. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. all are equally illogical. Wasn't singling you out per say. Glad to see you are reading though.

...finally