PDA

View Full Version : marijuana legalization are your for or against it?

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 05:02 PM
What are your thoughts? What are your reasons for believing the way that you do?

JustAlex
08-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I think 2Pac said it best....

"Instead of a war on poverty, they got a war on drugs so the police can bother me...."

How many Non-Violent people are in prison right now because of the nonsense that smoking a plant somehow merits the same punishments as murder, stealing, and rape?

AUTaxMan
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
For it. It will kill the drug wars and we can tax the hell out of it.

mrveggieman
08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I personally dont smoke or drink but I wouldn't be mad if they did legalize it. How can the gov't who isn't right themselves tell someone what they can't put in their own bodies? Like previously said they can make a lot of money taxing it and it would reduce the prison population. The only stipulation would be harsh penalties for any crimes commited under the influence.

ALADOG
08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't care either way

mikesilvia
08-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Decriminalize it completely like many states are doing. Fine for anyone under an obvious consumption level and major fines with possibly jail time for major distributors/dealers. It should still be frowned on for obvious professions like Air Traffic controllers, military, police, surgeons, etc. Come to work stoned then it gets treated like coming to work drunk.

I think you work towards a possible path to legalization, but not over night.

Filling our court system and prison with pot smokers is by far the biggest strain on our system. We parole major violent offenders because we don't have room for them in prison. Decriminalize pot use and empty out the prisons. I think it's a shame that alcohol is legal and pot isn't. Alcohol and cigarettes cause more problems in society than pot. The main problems that pot causes (i.e. crime) are based on it being illegal.

duwal
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
absolutely against legalization of it. its a drug plain and simple that impairs the mind

JustAlex
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
absolutely against legalization of it. its a drug plain and simple that impairs the mind
So does alcohol and tobacco, and technically those are "drugs" as well...

IMO, Alcohol is much more dangerous than Marijuana, and Cigarettes kill a lot more people than most "illegal" drugs.

duwal
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
So does alcohol and tobacco, and technically those are "drugs" as well...

IMO, Alcohol is much more dangerous than Marijuana, and Cigarettes kill a lot more people than most "illegal" drugs.

I agree and I think the world, especially the U.S., would be a much better world if those were expunged as well. All 3 are not necessary at all in people's lives and do more damage than good

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm going to preface this whole thing by saying, while I don't regularly smoke now, I did for awhile in high school/immediately after. Whatever bias you may think that gives me, so be it. <br />
<br />
First...

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Nicotine is a drug, caffeine is a drug, Tylenol is a drug, morphine is a drug, xanex is a drug...need I go on?

JustAlex
08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree and I think the world, especially the U.S., would be a much better world if those were expunged as well. All 3 are not necessary at all in people's lives and do more damage than good
I definitely understand.

I don't like cigarettes or or hard drugs such as cocaine and meth.

But I just don't think we should tell people what they can and can't ingest into their bodies.

And the drug war has been terrible for the U.S.

shrewsbury
08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
this is a fine line for me, but i would rather deal with someone stoned than with someone drunk. atleast the stoners are to lazy to do anything and are not violent when high. i am unsure what the stats are for crimes committed while high just on pot, but I imagine they would be small compared to those crimes committed while high on other drugs and alcohol.

Good Ole Jim
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm not entirely against it, but like Mike said, it needs to be done slowly. It needs to be regulated much like alcohol, where if you smoke and drive, are high in public, etc... there are penalties for it.

I agree that alcohol is by far more dangerous, but I don't necessarily agree with the argument that just because one kind of drug is legal, we should legalize them all. I don't know, either way it doesn't effect me personally much.

Good Ole Jim
08-08-2012, 06:52 PM
this is a fine line for me, but i would rather deal with someone stoned than with someone drunk. atleast the stoners are to lazy to do anything and are not violent when high. i am unsure what the stats are for crimes committed while high just on pot, but I imagine they would be small compared to those crimes committed while high on other drugs and alcohol.

The crime rates among high offenders are much smaller. I'm a Criminal Justice student going for my PhD, so I've been researching such things. There are many extraneous events though.

For instance, two high people were arrested last year for the following reason: There were two high guys in a car, as an ambulance flew by flashing their lights, they decided it'd be cool to follow it. They followed it at a high speed all the way through town, the police report as well as the testimony from the ambulance drivers said the speeds were upwards of 50-55 mph. A girl in a car pulled over to the side of the road to get out of the way of the ambulance, the ambulance made a turn in front of her. The car with the guys tried making the turn, but instead plowed in to her, killing her instantly.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm not for or against the legalization of this, but it does have to be regulated to an extent like alcohol.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not entirely against it, but like Mike said, it needs to be done slowly. It needs to be regulated much like alcohol, where if you smoke and drive, are high in public, etc... there are penalties for it.

I agree that alcohol is by far more dangerous, but I don't necessarily agree with the argument that just because one kind of drug is legal, we should legalize them all. I don't know, either way it doesn't effect me personally much.

If the government isn't qualified to feed kids school lunches, how are they qualified to tell you what you can or cannot put in your body?

As I said in my nove..er, post, I do not think all drugs should be legalized, but there is an argument for it, just not a strong enough one.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 06:59 PM
The crime rates among high offenders are much smaller. I'm a Criminal Justice student going for my PhD, so I've been researching such things. There are many extraneous events though.

For instance, two high people were arrested last year for the following reason: There were two high guys in a car, as an ambulance flew by flashing their lights, they decided it'd be cool to follow it. They followed it at a high speed all the way through town, the police report as well as the testimony from the ambulance drivers said the speeds were upwards of 50-55 mph. A girl in a car pulled over to the side of the road to get out of the way of the ambulance, the ambulance made a turn in front of her. The car with the guys tried making the turn, but instead plowed in to her, killing her instantly.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm not for or against the legalization of this, but it does have to be regulated to an extent like alcohol.

That's brutal, but it is reality (unlike the brutal say no to pot ads where the kids blows his head off), but there are laws against the things they did (speeding, driving without due care and attention, vehicular manslaughter, etc) and if you outlaw what made them make that decision, you have to outlaw movies because I'm sure someone somewhere has injured or killed someone driving too fast so as not to be late for a date. Late for anything, actually, so you'd have to outlaw dance recitals and sporting events of any kind, along with any sort of meeting. In short, bad decisions can be made sober or inebriated and bad decisions aren't against the law. Criminal acts are.

Of course, I took it to the extreme, but that was just to make a point. Obviously marijuana does affect judgement and that needs to be taken into account and obviously, even if marijuana stays illegal, I don't want to ban movies etc.

habsheaven
08-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I am all for legalizing it and controlling it. I'm not too concerned about the added tax revenue benefit, but the idea that we could eliminate a major cashcow for the criminals is my strongest motivation for legalizing it.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I am all for legalizing it and controlling it. I'm not too concerned about the added tax revenue benefit, but the idea that we could eliminate a major cashcow for the criminals is my strongest motivation for legalizing it.

Not to mention the money we won't be spending to fight it.

habsheaven
08-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Not to mention the money we won't be spending to fight it.

Exactly! Not to mention the jail cells and court dockets that would get freed up for more important criminal offences.

shrewsbury
08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
you Canadians might be on to something!!

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm a little surprised at this thread. I expected more of an "against" to come out. More than the 1 so far anyway. That's really interesting.

duwal
08-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm a little surprised at this thread. I expected more of an "against" to come out. More than the 1 so far anyway. That's really interesting.

sadly I was hoping for that as well

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 09:05 PM
sadly I was hoping for that as well

Well I wasn't hoping though I was curious.

Let me ask you this. What is your stance on medicinal marijuana and why?

Good Ole Jim
08-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Well I wasn't hoping though I was curious.

Let me ask you this. What is your stance on medicinal marijuana and why?

I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd add a thought to this anyway.

As far as medical marijuana goes, I think it could have a good use, just as long as it isn't abused. It's a great alternative to high-grade pain killers in my opinion. It just has to be done right.

There are other medical uses as well. I think it could be used highly effectively for veterans and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

As far as a recreational use, I'll never see the point. More power to ya, and you won't see me looking at you differently if you do it, but I live a straight-edge lifestyle, so maybe that's just the way I think.

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd add a thought to this anyway.

As far as medical marijuana goes, I think it could have a good use, just as long as it isn't abused. It's a great alternative to high-grade pain killers in my opinion. It just has to be done right.

There are other medical uses as well. I think it could be used highly effectively for veterans and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
It's great for nausea and tons of other stomach problems like Crohns and IBS. There's are people who want to explore it's uses without the "high" using it in topical creams and such. They've actually come up with a topical cream for pain relief that actually seems to work fairly well. Unfortunately, archaic drug laws are preventing them from going any further with research in this area.

As far as a recreational use, I'll never see the point. More power to ya, and you won't see me looking at you differently if you do it, but I live a straight-edge lifestyle, so maybe that's just the way I think.

I wish more people were like that. Think of what Phelps went through for that month or whatever. He shouldn't have had to deal with that, but there it was.

TyrantsASupremeBeing
08-08-2012, 10:51 PM
FOR, should be legal to grow your own & if you dont have a green thumb, pay a little tax & buy it

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/TyrantsPics/Art/Leaf.jpg?t=1221361980

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 10:55 PM
FOR, should be legal to grow your own & if you dont have a green thumb, pay a little tax & buy it

Why allow growing? Making your own booze is illegal. I don't know about tobacco.

Good Ole Jim
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Why allow growing? Making your own booze is illegal. I don't know about tobacco.

In some states you can get permits to grow tobacco I believe. I don't think marijuana should be allowed to grow in a home. If you have a business, grow it there... much like a green house operates.

TyrantsASupremeBeing
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
OOOOOK, i agree about a stoner rather than a drunk, but to just say stoners are lazy is wrong, ive done plenty of work with stoners & since im retired now i can say ive done many jobs, roofing & siding, auto mechanic, over the road truck driver etc. & was basically high nearly every day. No house i worked on fell down & i never fell off a roof, no car i ever worked on wrecked because of what work i did to it, never had a problem on the road in a truck tho i am soooooo thankful no #*@hole in a car caused me to be in a wreck cause i would have gotten the blame even tho it wasnt my fault
Let er rip...

TyrantsASupremeBeing
08-08-2012, 11:06 PM
You can brew your own beer at home

Wickabee
08-08-2012, 11:07 PM

Can you make your own whiskey

cbuskstwar
08-08-2012, 11:24 PM
I've seen what damage cancer can cause and saw that of all the medication she took, the weed I bought on the corner did more to help her than anything. Legalize it

jdawg
08-08-2012, 11:29 PM
legalize it and tax it...same with online poker

mrveggieman
08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
What do ya'll think of hemp, bud's legal distant cousin? I personally consume a lot of hemp based foods and there are delicious not to mention contain a lot of health benefits. I had a holistic dr put me on to hemp. As a matter of fact I buy some of my hemp foods at a store ran by a church. What do yall tink?

AUTaxMan
08-09-2012, 12:26 PM

depends on the state

pghin08
08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Floored that we have an almost unanimous ruling here.

Star_Cards
08-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I say legalize it. It wouldn't stop the drug war as there are plenty of other illegal drugs on the market. It would be interesting to see how many corporations would be created to produce it. I'd also be interested to see what restrictions that would be placed on it.

I am also for legalizing online poker and other gambling.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
What do ya'll think of hemp, bud's legal distant cousin? I personally consume a lot of hemp based foods and there are delicious not to mention contain a lot of health benefits. I had a holistic dr put me on to hemp. As a matter of fact I buy some of my hemp foods at a store ran by a church. What do yall tink?

Hemp is an amazing product and part of the real reason marijuana was first made illegal. By making marijuana illegal, they were able to make all cannabis illegal, including hemp, which was the goal of the cotton industry. Hemp shirts can last 100 years and still be the quality as the day it was sewn. Hemp rope is entirely stronger than nylon. The best example of the quality of hemp fabric I've seen is a little odd. I have 3 cats...actually, my wife has 3 cats and, while I like cats, I simply let them live. Anyway, two of these cats have claws that would make an eagle jealous. As such, anytime we bought a catnip mouse it was, quite literally, destroyed in a matter of minutes. A buddy of mine told me to go to the local hed shop and pick up a hemp catnip mouse. It wasn't much more expensive and that mouse lasted 6 months.

Triple Peanut
08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
legaize it. if i want to smoke a joint and listen to records or watch a hockey game, who is that hurting? maybe my own health slightly but so does beer, pizza, car exhaust. if you abuse it, it can absolutely have a negative effect on your life but in moderation i don't see a problem.